What Drivers Assists Do You Use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2023, 10:35 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 65 Posts
What Drivers Assists Do You Use?

Call me old school but I prefer to leave most of them off. First of all, my RDX absolutely hates the way I drive! Even with the forward collision warning set to the minimum distance I still see the big orange BRAKE warning on my screen everyday. NJ rush hour traffic and slicing and dicing your way through the slow pokes on the road give the RDX some serious anxiety. I leave it on to prevent rear ending anyone if someone jams on the brakes in front of you unexpectedly as I think that is a big benefit. However, I actually find it dangerous when cutting through traffic. When you go to pass someone that you are coming up on quick and need to make it to a gap if it automatically hits the brakes you might be slowed down in front of someone else now.

I leave the blind spot beeping on as well, but when passing people the RDX thinks its 10' longer that it really is! I know where my bumper ends and when I have just enough space to get in front of someone.

LKAS an ACC are convenient when its late you are cruising home on cruise control but I keep off the lane assist for normal driving. I also leave traction control on, although turning it "off" is never really off in modern cars.

Overall I'm glad I finally have a car with these systems but some are more intrusive to driving than others. I also enjoy that my 2012 motorcycle was the last one Triumph made before adding things like ABS and traction control. My wrist and brake lever are the only traction control and ABS I need!

Tom
Old 11-10-2023, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts
The forward collision sensor is good but dangerous. I found the other day when driving, traffic suddenly came to a fast stop in front of me. I was prepared, the car started braking suddenly which it should, but I noticed the car behind me gaining on me very fast, so I stepped off the brakes to move forward and the cars sensors took over and pretty much dead stopped the car. The car behind me stopped, but barely. The sensors are helpful, but they really hinder defensive driving.
Old 11-10-2023, 01:34 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by gungho_15
The forward collision sensor is good but dangerous. I found the other day when driving, traffic suddenly came to a fast stop in front of me. I was prepared, the car started braking suddenly which it should, but I noticed the car behind me gaining on me very fast, so I stepped off the brakes to move forward and the cars sensors took over and pretty much dead stopped the car. The car behind me stopped, but barely. The sensors are helpful, but they really hinder defensive driving.
YOU started braking or the car started braking on its own ? If the car starts braking on its own...I am going to disable that immediately.
Old 11-10-2023, 02:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SilverJ
YOU started braking or the car started braking on its own ? If the car starts braking on its own...I am going to disable that immediately.
If you approach a car/object moving much slower than you the RDX can stop fully on its own with no input from the brake pedal or driver.
Old 11-10-2023, 02:31 PM
Racer

I also tying to sync my braking with the person behind me. No sense in avoiding a forward collision just to get rear ended ended.
Old 11-10-2023, 02:52 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by Twism86
If you approach a car/object moving much slower than you the RDX can stop fully on its own with no input from the brake pedal or driver.
Can we turn that off ?
Old 11-10-2023, 07:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Lane assist is crap, turned mine off as first thing
Old 11-11-2023, 12:13 AM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
I've had vehicles with driver assist systems since 2016. When it comes to features like adaptive cruise, fcw, I find the RDX to acceptable. The cars I had from 2016/2019 had better behaved adaptive cruise and fcw. The cruise control felt far more natural at least for how I typically drive on the highway and kept speed better going up and down more hilly terrain and the fcw did not provide nearly as many false alerts and no phantom braking. Those two cars had a lane keep assist, but it wasn't the lane tracing type system so I can't really compare that. Having had a 2021 RDX and now 2023, I find the lane tracing on the 2023 to be much more confident and consistent especially in the curves. Systems like these are definitely godsends on long road trips. Everyone just has to keep in mind they are assist systems, not replacement systems.
Old 11-11-2023, 09:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 314 Posts
I have all systems enabled except lane departure warning and lane keep assist. I use LKA only when I enable cruise control.

if you are triggering forward collision warning then you’re probably driving too aggressively and would probably fail a DMV road test.
The following users liked this post:
clevernamehere (11-14-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SilverJ
The car started braking and then I started braking but the car continues to keep braking. Traffic behind me approached fast but car came to a dead stop. Scared the shit out of me.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:04 PM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
Interesting. The only time I've had auto braking engage is when I pull into the garage too fast. I've had the warning flash on the HUD a few times while driving but no auto brake applied.
tecwerks (11-13-2023)
Old 11-11-2023, 10:23 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ross7777
Interesting. The only time I've had auto braking engage is when I pull into the garage too fast. I've had the warning flash on the HUD a few times while driving but no auto brake applied.
It’s crazy and I don’t know how to test it safely. lol.
Old 11-12-2023, 11:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 907 Likes on 690 Posts
It’s crazy and I don’t know how to test it safely. lol.
Foam board mayhe? Wouldn't damage your vehicle if it failed to stop?
Old 11-12-2023, 02:29 PM
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts
Mine does this when backing into the garage. If I am going above 4-5 mph it seems fooled by the change from asphalt drive to concrete garage floor snd slams on brakes to fullstop. As long as I go slower it does not even register... kind of annoying but better than running something over. Was afraid a big blowing sheet of plastic was going to set off front sensor when doing 55 on highway,but fortunately no false alarm there 😊
Old 11-12-2023, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by MJ4RDX
Mine does this when backing into the garage. If I am going above 4-5 mph it seems fooled by the change from asphalt drive to concrete garage floor snd slams on brakes to fullstop. As long as I go slower it does not even register... kind of annoying but better than running something over. Was afraid a big blowing sheet of plastic was going to set off front sensor when doing 55 on highway,but fortunately no false alarm there 😊
Backing up is a different entity than driving on the freeway or city in heavy traffic. It doesn’t allow for defensive driving when it brakes and stops.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by anoop
I have all systems enabled except lane departure warning and lane keep assist. I use LKA only when I enable cruise control.

if you are triggering forward collision warning then you’re probably driving too aggressively and would probably fail a DMV road test.
I passed that test two decades ago so Im good to go!!
Old 11-13-2023, 06:15 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by anoop

I never once suggested that i was driving aggressively. I while driving traffic started to stop abruptly ahead of me. I know how to drive. I’ve been driving for almost 40’years
Old 11-13-2023, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 344 Likes on 252 Posts
Use them all - make daily and big road trip drives a breeze. BSM has saved me a few times from a lower car sitting in my blind spot. The lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control is a blessing eating up 700+ miles in one day.

Best option setting, is the auto emergency brake setting when put in park and the walk away auto lock mode.

Wish it had a front camera and surround camera too, but the parking sensors help a lot.
gungho_15 (11-13-2023)
Old 11-14-2023, 07:07 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Wish it had a front camera and surround camera too, but the parking sensors help a lot.
I have a '21 and I wish it had the front camera as well. I have small garage and I have my motorcycle parked along the back wall. I have to park within 4" of the bike to have just enough clearance to close the garage door. I find the red bar indicator on the Acura parking assist to be generous, other cars when it warns you that you are at the closest point you can be 2mm away!
Texasrdx21 (11-14-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 02:47 AM
Suzuka Master

I have a '21 and I wish it had the front camera as well. I have small garage and I have my motorcycle parked along the back wall. I have to park within 4" of the bike to have just enough clearance to close the garage door. I find the red bar indicator on the Acura parking assist to be generous, other cars when it warns you that you are at the closest point you can be 2mm away!
I have a similar situation except it's the garage stairs. My ingenious solution was to get a tennis ball and staple a rope to it with a staple gun, parked my (murano at the time) car the way I wanted and then taped the rope to the garage ceiling right at the point where the ball hits the windshield. So then I would just drive in and stop the second the ball hit the windshield. Very old school but worked perfectly 100% of the time!
Old 11-16-2023, 07:58 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX10
I have a similar situation except it's the garage stairs. My ingenious solution was to get a tennis ball and staple a rope to it with a staple gun, parked my (murano at the time) car the way I wanted and then taped the rope to the garage ceiling right at the point where the ball hits the windshield. So then I would just drive in and stop the second the ball hit the windshield. Very old school but worked perfectly 100% of the time!
I made that setup for the grandma years ago! Worked perfectly, except for the time she forgot to open the garage door before driving in.....
RDX10 (11-17-2023)
Old 11-17-2023, 10:29 PM
Suzuka Master

I made that setup for the grandma years ago! Worked perfectly, except for the time she forgot to open the garage door before driving in.....
Hahahaha wow 😂😂😂. I hope she was ok!
Old 11-18-2023, 08:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by RDX10
Hahahaha wow 😂😂😂. I hope she was ok!
Granny and her Nissan were ok. Thankfully she only went through it a little. It was time for a new door anyways.
Old 11-18-2023, 09:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 415 Likes on 314 Posts
FWIW I backed into my garage door. Ended up needing to replace the door and needed about $100 of detailing to clean up the rear bumper.

(This was with my 2019.)

This exercise showed me the value of an insulated garage door. Because it created a hole in the door and it took several months to get a replacement, I saw a big jump in my utility bills.