What cars are you cross shopping?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 11:03 PM
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts
Originally Posted by skarface
the X1 and X3 look pretty similar to me...can barely tell them apart.
https://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1434616
They look similar in those photos, agree (but the camera is playing tricks on us...lol). From bmwusa.com:

X1: LENGTH / WIDTH / HEIGHT (in) -- 175.4 / 71.7 / 62.9 (CURB WEIGHT -- 3697)

X3: LENGTH / WIDTH / HEIGHT (in) -- 185.9 / 74.4 / 66.0 (CURB WEIGHT -- 4034)

Old 07-19-2018, 08:55 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by JoelEDC
And all the talk about the spending more money for the "cachet" of owning a BMW is ironic, because any Acura owner (that's being honest with themselves) made the decision to buy an Acura RDX at least partly because it was more prestigious than a Honda CRV...Mazda CX-5...or any of a dozen other perfectly nice similarly sized SUV's that they could have had for $10K less than the RDX. But who knows, maybe on all the Honda and Mazda forums they're making fun of all the people who have to have the "cachet" of an Acura lol.
I used to think this, but after test driving a dozen cars, I no longer do. The X3, GLC, and the new RDX are superior to any of the similarly sized SUVs. I went from a top of the line 2015 CRV Touring to my 2019 RDX Advance, and while I am comparing different years, there really is no comparison. I’m actually a bit turned off by the “cachet” of certain cars, which is one of the reasons why I opted for the Acura over the others. I’ve read that the most hated drivers are BMW drivers, and I just couldn’t go there. But I now get it, these cars truly are better.
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:38 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by DrWoo

I used to think this, but after test driving a dozen cars, I no longer do. The X3, GLC, and the new RDX are superior to any of the similarly sized SUVs. I went from a top of the line 2015 CRV Touring to my 2019 RDX Advance, and while I am comparing different years, there really is no comparison. I’m actually a bit turned off by the “cachet” of certain cars, which is one of the reasons why I opted for the Acura over the others. I’ve read that the most hated drivers are BMW drivers, and I just couldn’t go there. But I now get it, these cars truly are better.
Yes, they are better. The real question is are they as much better as the price difference between them. That decision totally depends on your financial situation. If your budget maxes out at a CR-V EX, then, no, the RDX is not worth the extra money needed that would wreck your budget. What has attracted me to this RDX is the solidity and drivetrain of the RDX is up there with the MB, BMW, and Audi. I did not think those basic bones of the prior RDX were.

Too, many drivers of the MB/BMW cars do so only for the name. My sister-in-law could not describe how her MB C300 is better than, say, a Honda Civic, only that she is in a Mercedes. Which she takes shopping and for going out to dinner. She always leases the most stripped MB-C or BMW 3 that she can find.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 07-19-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:58 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by birdonamission
They look similar in those photos, agree (but the camera is playing tricks on us...lol). From bmwusa.com:

X1: LENGTH / WIDTH / HEIGHT (in) -- 175.4 / 71.7 / 62.9 (CURB WEIGHT -- 3697)

X3: LENGTH / WIDTH / HEIGHT (in) -- 185.9 / 74.4 / 66.0 (CURB WEIGHT -- 4034)

I mean lookswise and interior volume/passenger space. They are pretty close for some reason. But the actual exterior lengths are significantly different.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings-slash-make fun or you nor "bash" BMW. I was talking about ME, not you, nor any BMW owner.

#1, BMW definitely has "cachet" written all over it -- that's a compliment, not a bash. BMW just does cars right, period. Acura knows that and they built the RDX to try to keep up with BMW a la the X3.

#2, I will not buy an X1 nor X3 because the former is too small and the latter will come at too steep of a price if its optioned out, feature for feature, compared to the RDX, hence the value of the RDX. That's what I'm talking about -- I'm not going to compromise and pay $5K-$10K more for an X3 merely because of the BMW cachet. Ain't doing it. Others are happy to do that. More power to them.

You're not keen about the looks of the '19 RDX -- free country. I'm not going to begrudge you nor shed a tear. Contrary to you, I think Acura did a phenomenal job with the new RDX. That is one fine looking car...looking extraordinary from every single angle, inside and out. I own a '17, which I think is very nice looking (others say it looks plain). Opinions, opinions, opinions...left and right. Let them come, let them go. Big deal. I think some Nissans and Infinitis look hideous (QX80...seriously?), but that definitely doesn't stop the highways in my neck of the woods from being crammed full of them everywhere you look.

You do you. Enjoy your X1. I'll enjoy the new RDX is a few months when I'm ready to spring for the '19.
Thanks for your feedback. I guess your original comments came across a certain way to me and now that you've elaborated on things I can definitely appreciate what you have to say.

I never thought in a million years that I would get a BMW. I had a certain perception of the cars and their owners just like everyone else, but in the end it's just stereotyping. And for what the X1 is, which is a very small SUV....BMW did a really nice job.

The X3 is BMW's RDX competitor and vice-versa. I know that when people look at pictures taken from certain angles it seems like the X1 and X3 are closer in appearance than they really are. But if you study the SUV's out there, you'll find that the RDX, X3, XC60, Q5, etc. etc. etc. are all literally within fractions of an inch of each other in every meaningful statistic. The X1 slots in more like the XC40 and GLA which are a size smaller than the RDX and the others I mentioned. Again, if I could have swung it, I would probably have done another RDX. But I would have seriously considered an X3 too, because the discounts and incentives would have gotten it closer to the RDX than your estimate I think...depending on options of course. But I agree that the RDX is generally a good value compared to the European competition.

I thought my 2015 RDX was one of the best looking SUV's out there. Very clean styling. I just don't think Acura put the same effort into the exterior of the '19 as they did with the interior. But like you said we all have our opinions. Let us know how you like your RDX once you get it.
birdonamission (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 08:38 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Here are the dimensions for the X3, X1, and RDX, respectively. The X1 actually has more front and rear legroom than the X3 while being 10 inches shorter. I don't think its odd to consider them both to be somewhat of competitors to the RDX. The X1 is also front wheel drive vs. the RWD of the X3. I can see someone getting the X1 if they don't really need a couple more cu. ft. of cargo space and want better mpg.
​​​​​Front Legroom
40.3 in 40.4 in 42 in

Back Legroom
36.4 in 37 in 38 in

Cargo Volume
28.7 cu ft 27.1 cu ft 29.5 cu ft
Old 07-19-2018, 09:53 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
I just purchased a 2019 RDX but drove a handful of competitors and found the RDX definitely stood out. Here is a summary of what I observed:
  • I drove the X3 and X5. Both are nice looking SUVs with the X5 being a bit nicer. With that said, the 2nd row room in the X5 was not as spacious as I would have liked, and the overall premium for both BMWs was high. They both had great handling though
  • Jaguar F-Pace-I think this is the nicest looking crossover on the road now, and I drove the newer engine model which is just under 300 HP. It had great pickup and acceleration but I found the ride to be bumpier than the RDX. Also, the center console really jetted out and encroached on driver legroom, and 2nd row room was not great.
  • Audi Q5-This vehicle had a nice balance of ride and luxury, but it just felt really small overall, and the design still feels awkward to me with the rear of the vehicle feeling like it was cut off. I just drove the regular engine and not the performance engine.
  • The RDX wins out easily by balancing all of these qualities better than all other compact luxury crossovers:
    • Size
    • Sportiness (acceleration and handling)
    • Technology
    • Value
    • Design....yes Acura has it's best vehicle design since the 3G TL
Old 07-19-2018, 10:04 PM
Pro

Thanks for your feedback. I guess your original comments came across a certain way to me and now that you've elaborated on things I can definitely appreciate what you have to say.

I never thought in a million years that I would get a BMW. I had a certain perception of the cars and their owners just like everyone else, but in the end it's just stereotyping. And for what the X1 is, which is a very small SUV....BMW did a really nice job.

The X3 is BMW's RDX competitor and vice-versa. I know that when people look at pictures taken from certain angles it seems like the X1 and X3 are closer in appearance than they really are. But if you study the SUV's out there, you'll find that the RDX, X3, XC60, Q5, etc. etc. etc. are all literally within fractions of an inch of each other in every meaningful statistic. The X1 slots in more like the XC40 and GLA which are a size smaller than the RDX and the others I mentioned. Again, if I could have swung it, I would probably have done another RDX. But I would have seriously considered an X3 too, because the discounts and incentives would have gotten it closer to the RDX than your estimate I think...depending on options of course. But I agree that the RDX is generally a good value compared to the European competition.

I thought my 2015 RDX was one of the best looking SUV's out there. Very clean styling. I just don't think Acura put the same effort into the exterior of the '19 as they did with the interior. But like you said we all have our opinions. Let us know how you like your RDX once you get it.
All good -

Yeah, didn't mean to come across the wrong way. The X1 is a very, very nice car. We just like to travel by car when we vacation and just about pack half the house when we go...LOL...so we need to go one segment up for the cargo capacity, etc.

I think the bottom line is that when we look across the RDX-X3-GLC-Q5-XC60-et al segment (as well as the X1 and its competitors' segment), you really almost can't go wrong; that is, you will get an amazing car no matter what you end up with. The rest is preference and what excites us the most individually. We're fortunate to be able to afford to buy one of these cool cars...
JoelEDC (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:48 PM
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I cross shopped literally all of the competition in the class.
I closed in on a Jaguar F-Pace or Infiniti QX50,
as I liked the free maintenance on the Jaguar (as well as the way it drove), and the Infiniti had a super nice engine, as well as interior and features for the money.
However, the Jag was much more expensive for the same features, and depreciation was bad. I also really disliked the CVT in the QX50, and the interior was not as nice (the design dates back to the 2014 Q50).
I found that the BMW X3 was a little more sporty than the RDX, and got better gas mileage too, and came with standard AWD.
However, like the Jag (as well as the GLC300 and Q5), to get the same features as the RDX it would have been $10-$15K more.

So I lowered it down to the QX50 and RDX, as I wanted reliability and nice tech/luxury features for under $50K. The NX200t got a look, but I just didn't like how it looks, or how it drives.
Really the RDX blew me away once I got to spend more time with both cars. The CVT from the QX50 bothered me a lot, and I question the reliability of a variable compression turbo engine in it's very first year/iteration.
The RDX is also bound to have higher resale value than the QX50.
Plus, I REALLY wanted the Apex Blue color and the A Spec, as I am not a huge fan of chrome. I love black trim contrasting with white, red, or blue.

I was one of the first buyers in my area (the 2nd to purchase one from my dealer), as I also bought it around June 10th.
The dealer had not gotten the huge rush of interest and customers yet, so they were willing to give me $500 off MSRP after some haggling (no loyalty or military discount).
They also gave me their dealer addons (clear bra on doors, some pain protection thing) for free.

I also truly believe the interior of the RDX is one of the best, if not the best. It's up there with the Q5 and GLC300.
Not to mention it is actually quicker than almost every other car here (in their 4 cylinder versions). The X3 and Q5 may be right there too though.
JoelEDC (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 10:57 PM
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
We test drove a Lexus RX, Lexus NX, BMW X3 (the 2L engine), Volvo XC60 (the T5 turbocharged engine) (all 2018), and the RDX Tech with SH-AWD. All of them drove differently and I think claiming that one is "better" than the other implies that all were designed to achieve the same goal. If you drive all of these side-by-side, it is clear that each manufacturer is valuing certain traits over others. Both Lexii were very comfortable but the interiors are in need of a refresh. The X3 rear seat is not as big as the XC60 or RDX for rear-facing car seats, and we cannot easily get a 2018 with the driver's assistance package as already mentioned in this thread. I was surprised how sporty the XC60 was - not quite as good as the X3 or RDX, but certainly not as laid back as the Lexuses seemed. Of these, only the BMW really got the infotainment interface right.

We did not drive the BMW X1 but the interior vs exterior size observations is primarily because the new X1 is on a FWD platform (shared with MINI) and this allows the front seats to shift forward a bit, increasing the overall interior space. BMW sacrificed the RWD dynamics of basically all their other cars in the X1, and from the looks of how popular the X1 is around here it was not a bad business decision.
JoelEDC (07-20-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 11:05 PM
10th Gear

Different strokes for different folks of course. I think the X1 is probably the best looking of the small SUV's and that did influence my decision to get one instead of another RDX. That and the fact that (as I mentioned in my other post on this subject) everything in the size and class of the RDX (including the RDX) had simply gotten too expensive for me unfortunately. And although I LOVE the interior of the 2019 RDX, the exterior styling is "could be any one of a dozen current Japanese mid-size SUV's"...lol. Not their strongest effort in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, the '19 RDX still would have likely been my seventh Acura if the discounts and incentives had been a lot better...but it wouldn't have been because I thought the exterior styling was a home run.

Also, I don't think anyone ever said that you had to buy a BMW lol. Much less a BMW that's too small for your needs. This is obviously an Acura forum, but it's funny to me how people spend almost as much time bashing other brands as they do touting the Acura brand here. And all the talk about the spending more money for the "cachet" of owning a BMW is ironic, because any Acura owner (that's being honest with themselves) made the decision to buy an Acura RDX at least partly because it was more prestigious than a Honda CRV...Mazda CX-5...or any of a dozen other perfectly nice similarly sized SUV's that they could have had for $10K less than the RDX. But who knows, maybe on all the Honda and Mazda forums they're making fun of all the people who have to have the "cachet" of an Acura lol.
I actually think the X1 drives sportier than the RDX. However, it is smaller/lighter, so that is to be somewhat expected.
I think the X1 is a great car (not gonna comment on the whole brand thing, IMO it all comes down to the actual car and preference), and if I didn't need the larger backseat, I likely would have gotten an X1. The backseat was just a little too small for me.
Enjoy the car though!
JoelEDC (07-20-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 02:58 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Totally a different class...but I've been looking at the Subaru Ascent. I really like the captains chair options on the second row.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:10 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tin369
I am interested in the new RDX, but the price quickly jumps into the high 40K's for the advance SH-AWD and brings it closer to the German competition. Has anyone cross shopped the GLC300 or the X3 and what were your findings? why did you go with the RDX, is it more technologically advanced?
We are cross shopping a 2018 GLC which we are getting an offer of heavy discounts $46345 out the door for within $1k of 2019 Acura RDX with Tech ($1k discount). Mercedes is throwing in four years of maintenance. This car will be used in a town without an Acura dealership within 100 miles. I am worried about it getting towed to an inconvenient city. The town has a Mercedes dealership.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Krusintexas
We are cross shopping a 2018 GLC which we are getting an offer of heavy discounts $46345 out the door for within $1k of 2019 Acura RDX with Tech ($1k discount). Mercedes is throwing in four years of maintenance. This car will be used in a town without an Acura dealership within 100 miles. I am worried about it getting towed to an inconvenient city. The town has a Mercedes dealership.
The GLC is a very nice car, and given the lack of proximity to an Acura dealer, it makes sense in your case. In my case, when I shopped the GLC back in March, the local Mercedes dealer did not have any in the pipeline with the adaptive cruise control, which was only available on the highest option package and he said very few people opted for it because the price shoots up so much. That was the deal breaker for me. Plus, it was too late to order a 2018, so I would have had to wait to order a 2019 for later this year.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:05 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrWoo
The GLC is a very nice car, and given the lack of proximity to an Acura dealer, it makes sense in your case. In my case, when I shopped the GLC back in March, the local Mercedes dealer did not have any in the pipeline with the adaptive cruise control, which was only available on the highest option package and he said very few people opted for it because the price shoots up so much. That was the deal breaker for me. Plus, it was too late to order a 2018, so I would have had to wait to order a 2019 for later this year.
We are probably making the final decision tomorrow. The Acura tech doesn't have a spare tire and that is a problem. I'm a fan of run flats. I just like knowing I can go some miles to safety in the majority of situations. The towning to closest dealer when it's 100 miles away is a problem. Mercedes offers less bang for the buck but they at least have a local service department.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Krusintexas

We are probably making the final decision tomorrow. The Acura tech doesn't have a spare tire and that is a problem. I'm a fan of run flats. I just like knowing I can go some miles to safety in the majority of situations. The towning to closest dealer when it's 100 miles away is a problem. Mercedes offers less bang for the buck but they at least have a local service department.
I just purchased an RDX Tech and it does have a spare tire I am pretty sure. I was told the A-Specs do not have a full spare given they are 20s and they would not fit. Others with Tech model can confirm. Also, I am about 60 miles from the nearest Acura dealer and was concerned with my prior Acuras, but unless you need warranty work done, a local Honda dealer can do a nice job of your regular maintenance needs, and they are used to getting a lot of Acuras for routine maintenance.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:54 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by froston13
I cross shopped literally all of the competition in the class.
I closed in on a Jaguar F-Pace or Infiniti QX50,
as I liked the free maintenance on the Jaguar (as well as the way it drove), and the Infiniti had a super nice engine, as well as interior and features for the money.
However, the Jag was much more expensive for the same features, and depreciation was bad. I also really disliked the CVT in the QX50, and the interior was not as nice (the design dates back to the 2014 Q50).
I found that the BMW X3 was a little more sporty than the RDX, and got better gas mileage too, and came with standard AWD.
However, like the Jag (as well as the GLC300 and Q5), to get the same features as the RDX it would have been $10-$15K more.

So I lowered it down to the QX50 and RDX, as I wanted reliability and nice tech/luxury features for under $50K. The NX200t got a look, but I just didn't like how it looks, or how it drives.
Really the RDX blew me away once I got to spend more time with both cars. The CVT from the QX50 bothered me a lot, and I question the reliability of a variable compression turbo engine in it's very first year/iteration.
The RDX is also bound to have higher resale value than the QX50.
Plus, I REALLY wanted the Apex Blue color and the A Spec, as I am not a huge fan of chrome. I love black trim contrasting with white, red, or blue.

I was one of the first buyers in my area (the 2nd to purchase one from my dealer), as I also bought it around June 10th.
The dealer had not gotten the huge rush of interest and customers yet, so they were willing to give me $500 off MSRP after some haggling (no loyalty or military discount).
They also gave me their dealer addons (clear bra on doors, some pain protection thing) for free.

I also truly believe the interior of the RDX is one of the best, if not the best. It's up there with the Q5 and GLC300.
Not to mention it is actually quicker than almost every other car here (in their 4 cylinder versions). The X3 and Q5 may be right there too though.
Congrats on your purchase! I cross-shopped many of the same vehicles and was also close to pulling the trigger on the F-Pace as I think that its the only competitor in the segment with a sharper exterior design than the RDX. I drove the newer engine setup (was just under 300HP) and it had some good pickup but seemed to ride a bit heavier too, and I did not like how the driver legroom was smaller to accommodate the center console. I also found the RDX seems closer in size to the BMW X5 than X3....the RDX is definitely bordering on the mid-size category and I think that is just what Acura wanted...to offer the most of everything in the compact luxury segment.
Old 07-27-2018, 01:58 PM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by TLMDXRDX
I just purchased an RDX Tech and it does have a spare tire I am pretty sure. I was told the A-Specs do not have a full spare given they are 20s and they would not fit. Others with Tech model can confirm. Also, I am about 60 miles from the nearest Acura dealer and was concerned with my prior Acuras, but unless you need warranty work done, a local Honda dealer can do a nice job of your regular maintenance needs, and they are used to getting a lot of Acuras for routine maintenance.
In the US, All SH-AWD models except A-Spec come with a spare.
FWD and A-Spec do not.

In Canada, ALL models come with a spare. The A-Spec models use the same 17" spare as the others.

It's not that they can't include the spare. They've chosen not to.
The dealer should be able to get the parts to install a spare.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:51 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
I have looked at BMW, Audi - too expensive. Looked at others - don’t have features I want. Keep coming back to RDX. I probably would have ordered one by now but my local dealer doesn’t have one in the trim I want (Advance) to look at and test drive. Actually, they don’t have any right now. It may be a while before they do and I don’t want to order one unseen since major revision. So now I am wondering if I should wait until all the dust settles and wait for 2020 model to come out. I don’t need a new vehicle now - just want one. I have a 2016 RDX. Any thoughts about buying now vs waiting until 2020 model comes out? I guess if I wait every year I’ll never get a new vehicle. Just wondering what might be different with 2020 model. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:23 PM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by ShouldIBuyNew
I guess if I wait every year I’ll never get a new vehicle.
Bingo. Paralysis by analysis is real.
Old 07-30-2018, 06:49 AM
Pro

I don't know if it is AT ALL instructive as to when the 2020 RDX might go on sale, but the 2018 RDX launched on June 1, 2017.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:26 AM
Pro

I don't know if it is AT ALL instructive as to when the 2020 RDX might go on sale, but the 2018 RDX launched on June 1, 2017.
Edit: And the 2019 launched on June 2, 2018. These are big clues for the 2020, it would seem.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:47 AM
GTF
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
I have looked at BMW, Audi - too expensive. Looked at others - don’t have features I want. Keep coming back to RDX. I probably would have ordered one by now but my local dealer doesn’t have one in the trim I want (Advance) to look at and test drive. Actually, they don’t have any right now. It may be a while before they do and I don’t want to order one unseen since major revision. So now I am wondering if I should wait until all the dust settles and wait for 2020 model to come out. I don’t need a new vehicle now - just want one. I have a 2016 RDX. Any thoughts about buying now vs waiting until 2020 model comes out? I guess if I wait every year I’ll never get a new vehicle. Just wondering what might be different with 2020 model. Thanks.
I would expect little if any change for 2020....based upon the Advance wheel pushback, I would think if anything was changed, it would be to replace this wheel style.
ShouldIBuyNew (08-01-2018)
Old 07-30-2018, 10:19 PM
Cruisin'

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
I thought Volvo XC 60 and MB GLC had truly great interiors but didn't drive/handle all that well (especially the Volvo which seems par for course with them). Lexus RX was bigger than I wanted and NX smaller (coming out of 2012 Murano and wanted roughly similar size). Not sold on the new Infiniti engine and worried about reliability on the Alfa. Narrowed down to BMW, Jag, and Acura. The X3 and Jag both handled great but well equipped get pricey, especially the BMW. And I don't like Russian nesting doll looks of BMW (they all look basically same to me) and Jag interior was pretty lowbrow. AWD RDX really seemed like ideal fit for what we were seeking- handles well, nice interior, all the latest tech, reasonably priced. It really wasn't tough choice for me- I honestly liked it much better than any of the competitors.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:40 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by ZiginTex
I thought Volvo XC 60 and MB GLC had truly great interiors but didn't drive/handle all that well (especially the Volvo which seems par for course with them). Lexus RX was bigger than I wanted and NX smaller (coming out of 2012 Murano and wanted roughly similar size). Not sold on the new Infiniti engine and worried about reliability on the Alfa. Narrowed down to BMW, Jag, and Acura. The X3 and Jag both handled great but well equipped get pricey, especially the BMW. And I don't like Russian nesting doll looks of BMW (they all look basically same to me) and Jag interior was pretty lowbrow. AWD RDX really seemed like ideal fit for what we were seeking- handles well, nice interior, all the latest tech, reasonably priced. It really wasn't tough choice for me- I honestly liked it much better than any of the competitors.
Pretty much what happened with me.
Jag, Infiniti, BMW, Acura.

The RDX being great already put it at or near #1; the value/features for the money was just cherr(ies) on top.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:53 AM
Drifting

We decided on the RDX Tech, but will put off buying until probably October/November because we just don’t want to deal with it now. It makes no sense for us to buy a new car and stick it in the garage when we go travelling. Then, when we come back from Italy, my wife goes in for a knee replacement. So after all that is behind us, we will procede.

Our choice was between another sedan, or going back to a crossover SUV, and we drove the RDX in the morning and a Touring Accord in the afternoon. The Accord had all the driving aides I am looking for, and the main reason to replace a car, and it was great for what it is. But back-to-back it is a no-brainer, the RDX is superior, and we already have an Accord. As far as other SUVs, the only other one I was really considering was the X3, and there were none with the adaptive cruise control, and you needed two driving aid packages to get it.
Old 08-01-2018, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
We decided on the RDX Tech, but will put off buying until probably October/November because we just don’t want to deal with it now. It makes no sense for us to buy a new car and stick it in the garage when we go travelling. Then, when we come back from Italy, my wife goes in for a knee replacement. So after all that is behind us, we will procede.
Could you share your thoughts/decisions behind tech vs advance? I was so set on advance until I test drove both, didn't really feel the differences of the adaptive dampers at works. I also wanted the 360 cameras but after seeing the ones on Q5/X3, the quality of the Acura's has a lot left to be desired, very poor resolutions. At this point, the 4k differences for me are left to stereo, seats, and HUD (which is hands down better than X3's)

Thanks,
Old 08-01-2018, 08:58 AM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
To me, those three features (HUD, stereo, seats) are exactly what drove me to the Advance. The speedo on the RDX is pretty bad - very fine increments with labels at 10mph intervals and no digital guage in the dash (major oversight). The HUD solves this and I rarely look at the dash while driving anymore. It’s like having the rear view camera for backing up. Once you have it, it’s difficult to live without it. Maybe that’s their strategy...
The seats are the most comfortable I’ve sat in and the stereo is just plain awesome.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:36 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by acuraada
Could you share your thoughts/decisions behind tech vs advance? I was so set on advance until I test drove both, didn't really feel the differences of the adaptive dampers at works. I also wanted the 360 cameras but after seeing the ones on Q5/X3, the quality of the Acura's has a lot left to be desired, very poor resolutions. At this point, the 4k differences for me are left to stereo, seats, and HUD (which is hands down better than X3's)

Thanks,
The tech has everything I am buying a car for. Personally, here is what I don’t think is worth $5K for the Advance to me based on my own situation as a retired guy:

1. Adaptive Dampers. For the way I drive, the standard suspension with SH-AWD was enough; I no longer drive at 8/10s and canyon cutting, so that extra optional firmness does not mean that much to me.

2. Ventilated seats. I live in the Northeast, and there are only a few days where it is so hot to need them. On days like that, I would either hop into the car and go to the pool, or just not go out. The car will be in the garage, so it will never start the day that hot. If I lived in a hot weather place or were still commuting all summer long it would be different.

3. HUD. I love that stuff, but not having one now means I don’t miss it and haven’t gotten reliant on it. My wife finds them distracting. But I would get it as a stand alone if I could, but not for $5K.

4. 3D ELS. The Advance system is about the best you can get in any car, but the one in the Tech is very, very good. However, I am not such an audiophile as to build music libraries of high bit rate converted files to listen to. I think the difference would get lost on me when listening to the radio or streaming music. We often don’t turn music on at all when we drive.

5. Kick-open tailgate. Way cool, but not needed for us. We are not lugging a kid around and having to shop in trying conditions. If we were still working and raising a family, and always trying to do three things at one time, yeah. Plus, if we want it, we can buy it for a few hundred dollars.

The other stuff is not really worth mentioning.

Again, these are my personal choices. Five grand is not nothing to me, and I don’t want to invade my travel funds (on which we spend a considerable amount of money) to put to a car when that difference is, to me, frills. I am an old guy who has had to squeeze each dollar to get everyting our family wanted to get, and, I admit, I am trapped in my own frugality. But that means we were able to say no to a perfectly fine Accord Touring for 10K less because we saw 10K in value in the RDX. And we are able to travel the world, plus get out of NY for February. My wife and I worked too hard for our money not to squeeze each dollar bill for everything we can.

My daughter thinks we should replace our 535 with a current 540 because I love the BMW so much. I don’t see the dollar value in buying a $70K car when an RDX Tech hits all my targets for 45K.

That’s just me.
acuraada (08-01-2018)
Old 08-01-2018, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
I got an Advanced. In addition to the advantages listed above, I believe it also has more soundproofing in the windows. To me thats a benefit.

The stereo is GREAT. I dont agree at all with people who say you cant tell the difference in a car - this one is a big step up from most other cars I have tried and was a big decision factor for me.

One thing I will point out - I was excited about the Ventilated Seats, but so far I have been disappointed. I find them to be very weak and hardly noticeable...
Old 08-01-2018, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

The tech has everything I am buying a car for. Personally, here is what I don’t think is worth $5K for the Advance to me based on my own situation as a retired guy:

My daughter thinks we should replace our 535 with a current 540 because I love the BMW so much. I don’t see the dollar value in buying a $70K car when an RDX Tech hits all my targets for 45K.

That’s just me.
Thanks for sharing, very informative. I have a feeling it will come down to the last minute decision for me. I too had a BMW sedan, 528 tho, it is still one of my favorites.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:00 AM
Racer

It all cones down to what you want and are willing to pay for. For me, my wife is short, and the 16 way seats on the advance were a must have so she could drive comfortably. And the HUD, we both love it. I customized it so that I can pretty much control nav and Sirius XM all from the HUD and I seldom have to use the touchpad. She loves the speed limit displayed in the windshield.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:11 AM
Advanced

After researching other vehicles, I keep coming back to the rdx, awd, advance. So, that narrows down my choices. In preliminary talks, my local dealer quoted me $28,000 to $28,500 for my 2016 rdx, awd, advance with about 28,500 miles. Some days I think it’s fair, some days I think it is too low. If it’s fair that is ok but I just don’t want to get ripped off. I’d rather not have to go out of town or out of state but I guess that is an option if I think the trade-in value is way too low.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:19 AM
Advanced

1. Adaptive Dampers. For the way I drive, the standard suspension with SH-AWD was enough; I no longer drive at 8/10s and canyon cutting, so that extra optional firmness does not mean that much to me.

2. Ventilated seats. I live in the Northeast, and there are only a few days where it is so hot to need them. On days like that, I would either hop into the car and go to the pool, or just not go out. The car will be in the garage, so it will never start the day that hot. If I lived in a hot weather place or were still commuting all summer long it would be different.

3. HUD. I love that stuff, but not having one now means I don’t miss it and haven’t gotten reliant on it. My wife finds them distracting. But I would get it as a stand alone if I could, but not for $5K.

4. 3D ELS. The Advance system is about the best you can get in any car, but the one in the Tech is very, very good. However, I am not such an audiophile as to build music libraries of high bit rate converted files to listen to. I think the difference would get lost on me when listening to the radio or streaming music. We often don’t turn music on at all when we drive.

5. Kick-open tailgate. Way cool, but not needed for us. We are not lugging a kid around and having to shop in trying conditions. If we were still working and raising a family, and always trying to do three things at one time, yeah. Plus, if we want it, we can buy it for a few hundred dollars.

The other stuff is not really worth mentioning.

Again, these are my personal choices. Five grand is not nothing to me, and I don’t want to invade my travel funds (on which we spend a considerable amount of money) to put to a car when that difference is, to me, frills. I am an old guy who has had to squeeze each dollar to get everyting our family wanted to get, and, I admit, I am trapped in my own frugality. But that means we were able to say no to a perfectly fine Accord Touring for 10K less because we saw 10K in value in the RDX. And we are able to travel the world, plus get out of NY for February. My wife and I worked too hard for our money not to squeeze each dollar bill for everything we can.

That’s just me.
I'm really torn between the appearance package of the A-spec and the features on the Advanced. I can relate to your listed feedback and I have some time to really think it through.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:42 AM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Advance vs Technology

Is anyone having trouble finding an Advance to look at and drive? I'm leaning Advance over Technology but have not driven either.

I saw one on a local dealer's website and asked via email it if was available to drive. I was told that it was an ordered car that was sold already. The salesman added that they would not have another Advance for at least a month, and it would most likely be sold before arrival. No surprise, he encouraged me to come drive a Technology and see what I thought. I've looked at the websites of a few other nearby dealers and they have one or zero Advance models. I suspect this is a temporary local situation, but thought I would ask.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DWG
Is anyone having trouble finding an Advance to look at and drive? I'm leaning Advance over Technology but have not driven either.

I saw one on a local dealer's website and asked via email it if was available to drive. I was told that it was an ordered car that was sold already. The salesman added that they would not have another Advance for at least a month, and it would most likely be sold before arrival. No surprise, he encouraged me to come drive a Technology and see what I thought. I've looked at the websites of a few other nearby dealers and they have one or zero Advance models. I suspect this is a temporary local situation, but thought I would ask.

The only model that was not available to me is standard. Our dealer had Advance as loaner/tester and bunch of Tech/Apec. Very little Advance in stock actually.

It's kind of ironic since your profile says Ohio and RDX is made there....
Old 08-01-2018, 01:03 PM
Advanced

I am considering the advance trim but my local dealer has no 2019 RDXs of any trim to test drive or even look at. Pretty frustrating since If I replace my 2016 rdx it will be with a 2019 rdx.. I was thinking perhaps of going out of state but ironically, that would be to Ohio!
Old 08-01-2018, 01:15 PM
Advanced

I am considering the advance trim but my local dealer has no 2019 RDXs of any trim to test drive or even look at. Pretty frustrating since If I replace my 2016 rdx it will be with a 2019 rdx.. I was thinking perhaps of going out of state but ironically, that would be to Ohio!
I know it has been mentioned here a few times...but the $1900 price difference between the A-spec & Advance is pretty tempting (I got to get past those wheels though )

For $1900 more you get:
- Adaptive Damper System
- HUD
- Surround view camera

Decisions...decisions.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:49 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
The upcoming Audi Q3. It really caught the wife's eye.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:29 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by knhellesky
I know it has been mentioned here a few times...but the $1900 price difference between the A-spec & Advance is pretty tempting (I got to get past those wheels though )

For $1900 more you get:
- Adaptive Damper System
- HUD
- Surround view camera

Decisions...decisions.
For what its worth, I love all 3 of these features in my RDX!!!

Quick Reply: What cars are you cross shopping?