Welp, got rid of the Acura after 6 months. First car I could not love

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020 | 11:22 PM
Advanced

Unhappy Welp, got rid of the Acura after 6 months. First car I could not love

I posted a while ago about being semi-regretful after buying the 2020 RDX Advance

I just ended up having Carmax buy the lease out and walking away from the car after 6 months. Everything from the original thread still stands... In 25 years of driving I have never got rid of car this fast.

The day I was debating taking it in to Carmax the head unit crashed with speech recognizer error and I took it as a sign things weren't meant to be.

I don't want to rag on it any more than I have to, I'm glad I was able to get out of it and I think ya'll have a cool little community here. I can't imagine I would come back to Acura after this.

Cheers

Old 08-07-2020 | 12:24 AM
Intermediate

what did you trade it for?
Old 08-07-2020 | 12:24 AM
Null and proud of it

Sorry to hear... what's replacing the RDX?
Old 08-07-2020 | 01:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
Sorry to hear... what's replacing the RDX?
Got a CPO BMW i3... go figure.

it just needs to tide me over until I pickup a modelY.

My expectations on i3 are set extremely low but it’s been a blast to drive around town. My job went remote so I don’t have to drive much. This is about 300 less a month for me to own.

Old 08-07-2020 | 01:28 AM
Null and proud of it

Originally Posted by murdermaschine
Got a CPO BMW i3... go figure.

it just needs to tide me over until I pickup a modelY.

My expectations on i3 are set extremely low but it’s been a blast to drive around town. My job went remote so I don’t have to drive much. This is about 300 less a month for me to own.

Sounds like a good tie over. Glad it's saving you money.
Old 08-07-2020 | 06:24 AM
Instructor

I looked at your list of "dislikes" and it seems like a pretty standard list of what could be improved about this car.

I have the Canadian version but almost all of your gripes, aside from the mirrors, are found in my car. The only thing I really disagree with you on is the drive modes - the difference in damping between Comfort, Sport and Sport+ is significant and I can feel it. If I'm on the highway and accidentally left the car in Sport, I immediately feel it on the bumps. I actually like the way the RDX (w/ the adaptive suspension) has implemented drive modes. Sport is actually a liveable everyday drive mode, just one with a bit more bite than Comfort. I find myself switching back and forth more than I have in any previous car. Sport+ is fun, too, even if it's not very useful outside of entertaining myself.

But for me, one month, two road trips and 3000 km into ownership, the overall package is amazing. The annoyances, for me, don't outshine how well the thing drives and handles. I did a solo 4 hour drive a couple of days ago without stopping and I was amazed at just how comfortable I was throughout. The seats are soft yet supportive, the ergonomics put everything at a good height and within reach. The sound system is also a big part of it for me. I've owned X3 with the upgraded Harmon Kardon sound, and while that car excites with under-seat subwoofers, the RDX has far clearer and better defined sound. During that drive, I listened to everything from Dave Matthews Band to Eminem to some classical music, and with volume set between 15 and 20 everything was so crisp.

Anyway, good luck with your i3. That's a... strange choice ... but also kind of cool.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jordster:
JacPac (08-07-2020), Mapdoc (08-07-2020), Mark-RDX (08-20-2020)
Old 08-07-2020 | 07:52 AM
Drifting

I always hate (and I rarely use that term) to hear about someone who feels so badly about their car that they sell it so quickly, but I have also done that, but it took me a year. Not everyone will like a particular car. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2020 | 09:48 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jordster
I looked at your list of "dislikes" and it seems like a pretty standard list of what could be improved about this car.

I have the Canadian version but almost all of your gripes, aside from the mirrors, are found in my car. The only thing I really disagree with you on is the drive modes - the difference in damping between Comfort, Sport and Sport+ is significant and I can feel it. If I'm on the highway and accidentally left the car in Sport, I immediately feel it on the bumps. I actually like the way the RDX (w/ the adaptive suspension) has implemented drive modes. Sport is actually a liveable everyday drive mode, just one with a bit more bite than Comfort. I find myself switching back and forth more than I have in any previous car. Sport+ is fun, too, even if it's not very useful outside of entertaining myself.

But for me, one month, two road trips and 3000 km into ownership, the overall package is amazing. The annoyances, for me, don't outshine how well the thing drives and handles. I did a solo 4 hour drive a couple of days ago without stopping and I was amazed at just how comfortable I was throughout. The seats are soft yet supportive, the ergonomics put everything at a good height and within reach. The sound system is also a big part of it for me. I've owned X3 with the upgraded Harmon Kardon sound, and while that car excites with under-seat subwoofers, the RDX has far clearer and better defined sound. During that drive, I listened to everything from Dave Matthews Band to Eminem to some classical music, and with volume set between 15 and 20 everything was so crisp.

Anyway, good luck with your i3. That's a... strange choice ... but also kind of cool.

Yea, this I did not get this i3 and my long term car either to be honest. Sound system in it is atrocious, it’s also a 2017. When covid hit, work went remote so basically the rdx sat in a garage not moving and was costing me almost 500bucks a month on top of all the lingering issues (still never got more than 20mpg) it just made sense to get out while I could.

carmax gave me 38k for it which was more than my payoff so I got a check back from them and should get some back from Acura on an over payment.

RDX sears and sound system are what sold me in the first place

Old 08-07-2020 | 10:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by murdermaschine
Yea, this I did not get this i3 and my long term car either to be honest. Sound system in it is atrocious, it’s also a 2017. When covid hit, work went remote so basically the rdx sat in a garage not moving and was costing me almost 500bucks a month on top of all the lingering issues (still never got more than 20mpg) it just made sense to get out while I could.

carmax gave me 38k for it which was more than my payoff so I got a check back from them and should get some back from Acura on an over payment.

RDX sears and sound system are what sold me in the first place
Back in Feb (in that other thread) you sad you had "until Saturday" to make a decision....now 6 months later, you sell the RDX. I understand how Carmax works, they give you a rice that is good for so many days.

I sincerely hope you find a car that fills you needs/wants. The RDX isn't perfect, I am very happy with mine, however, I have not had the issues you apparently have had, and If i did, I fight feel the same as you. I am very particular with my cars. I have had a few (2, 3?) vehicles that I only owned a few days. Yes, I might have been an impulse buyer at one time but I thoroughly researched the RDX, knew it was dramatic change from the year before model, and that it was a first year model I was buying...which I have had a long time thing against doing. Yet, here I am one year and seven months later, still enjoying my RDX, with NO regrets. I am having an issue with Android Auto, which I have identified as being due to improper cables....I do get fuel economy as expedited, Lifetime average 22,000+ miles is 26.5 MPG. I would have preferred more, but, As Expected ....I had the soft brake pedal, fixed by TSB and I KNEW about this before buying, All my test drives identified this an issue, Overall I rate the RDX as a 90%. There are few engineering things I would change, but EVERY car is like that.

I hope you do find satisfaction in your next car...honestly, and I don't think you made the wrong decision.
Old 08-07-2020 | 11:07 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Back in Feb (in that other thread) you sad you had "until Saturday" to make a decision....now 6 months later, you sell the RDX. I understand how Carmax works, they give you a rice that is good for so many days.

I sincerely hope you find a car that fills you needs/wants. The RDX isn't perfect, I am very happy with mine, however, I have not had the issues you apparently have had, and If i did, I fight feel the same as you. I am very particular with my cars. I have had a few (2, 3?) vehicles that I only owned a few days. Yes, I might have been an impulse buyer at one time but I thoroughly researched the RDX, knew it was dramatic change from the year before model, and that it was a first year model I was buying...which I have had a long time thing against doing. Yet, here I am one year and seven months later, still enjoying my RDX, with NO regrets. I am having an issue with Android Auto, which I have identified as being due to improper cables....I do get fuel economy as expedited, Lifetime average 22,000+ miles is 26.5 MPG. I would have preferred more, but, As Expected ....I had the soft brake pedal, fixed by TSB and I KNEW about this before buying, All my test drives identified this an issue, Overall I rate the RDX as a 90%. There are few engineering things I would change, but EVERY car is like that.

I hope you do find satisfaction in your next car...honestly, and I don't think you made the wrong decision.
Yup, I took the car back to carmax and got the same exact quote as i did back in feb (the miles barely changed because it’s been sitting in garage)

carmax was super cool btw
Old 08-09-2020 | 02:39 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Yep, if it isn't working for you, move on. When you have options, keeping a car you don't enjoy is silly. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
fogdoctor (08-14-2020)
Old 08-10-2020 | 10:48 PM
Racer

I always say "If you don't love it, let it go!".(My ex-wives will verify that for you!).
There are no perfect vehicles, machines, people, whatever. You have to find the one that fits what you are looking for. Best of luck finding your vehicle happiness. Me, I like my RDX and after a lot of searching can't really find anything that fits me better. What very few minor hick-ups I have had were quickly taken care of by my dealer. Luck of the draw I guess, or different expectations, can't say.