Vehicle upgrade… worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 05:33 PM
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
Vehicle upgrade… worth it?

Hi all,

So, I just got home from the Acura dealership for service. While there, a sales manager approached me about my vehicle and expressed his desire to acquire it. We ran some numbers, and he could essentially get me in a 23 ASpec for less than what I’m currently paying for my 21’ Aspec. I’d also be able to get some money back (equity in my RDX).

Is there any incentive to move into a 23’ Aspec? I test drove one, and it felt identical to me drive-wise.. I’m just debating if I want another RDX for 2-3 years.

I could see bumping up to the Aspec with Advance package possibly, but for Aspec to Aspec, is there any big improvements between the 2 model years that I didn’t feel or know about?

Thanks all!
Old 05-05-2023, 06:53 PM
mvl
Pro

Received 224 Likes on 151 Posts
At a minimum the 23 would give you 2yr/20000 miles free oil changes and a brand new 4yr/50000 mile warranty.

I never researched aspec to aspec, but in advance to advance the 22 and later gives you folding mirrors, more acoustic glass and sound deading, wireless carplay/android auto, wireless charger, etc.

You shouldn't be able to trade to a 23 for less so there is somethong fishy going on, eg maybe they are extending the number of payments so it is costing you. Or maybe your current deal is based on worse credit/higher interest and you can do a 3rd party refi to get the payment down without a trade.
Old 05-05-2023, 07:27 PM
Pro

There isn't a significant difference between my current payment and what that would be. I just don't know if I want another RDX. I still keep leaning toward a BMW.
Old 05-05-2023, 11:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 272 Posts
Infotainment update is the major difference, the rest are good to have but can do without. If you have to upgrade from pre-MMC to MMC, Advance A-spec is the way to go because the adaptive dampers are tuned really well.

What happened to your TLX-S journey? You cannot go wrong with BMW G-series cars.
Old 05-06-2023, 06:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Obviously not worth it from a financial point of view, but if you can afford and must have it, go for it
Old 05-06-2023, 10:59 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swttsx007
Hi all,

So, I just got home from the Acura dealership for service. While there, a sales manager approached me about my vehicle and expressed his desire to acquire it. We ran some numbers, and he could essentially get me in a 23 ASpec for less than what I’m currently paying for my 21’ Aspec. I’d also be able to get some money back (equity in my RDX).

Is there any incentive to move into a 23’ Aspec? I test drove one, and it felt identical to me drive-wise.. I’m just debating if I want another RDX for 2-3 years.

I could see bumping up to the Aspec with Advance package possibly, but for Aspec to Aspec, is there any big improvements between the 2 model years that I didn’t feel or know about?

Thanks all!
I assume that you are currently leasing your 21 RDX? If so and they are offering the new RDX as a lease; go for it. I hope to do the same thing between now and next March when my 21 RDX Advance lease ends.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:11 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
If no extra money has to exchange hands to get the deal done and you like the car enough to live with it another 3 years, then why not.
Old 05-06-2023, 08:36 PM
Pro

So, I still like the TLX Type S. That is still an option, but I keep reverting back to keeping an SUV. For whatever reason, I really do like SUVs even though I don't "need" one.

I do really like my RDX Aspec, but I don't know if I really want essentially the same vehicle for another 3 years. However, if I were to go with another RDX, I would definitely do the Aspec w/ Advance package.

I am also kind of digging the redesigned BMW X1.

I really need to just take the time and go drive vehicles back-to-back to really see what would be the best fit for me.

Also on the Aspec w/ Advance package, what is the button below with the light on for?

There are TOO many options and not enough time to spend all day driving everything!

Old 05-06-2023, 08:47 PM
Advanced

So, I still like the TLX Type S. That is still an option, but I keep reverting back to keeping an SUV. For whatever reason, I really do like SUVs even though I don't "need" one.

I do really like my RDX Aspec, but I don't know if I really want essentially the same vehicle for another 3 years. However, if I were to go with another RDX, I would definitely do the Aspec w/ Advance package.

I am also kind of digging the redesigned BMW X1.

I really need to just take the time and go drive vehicles back-to-back to really see what would be the best fit for me.

Also on the Aspec w/ Advance package, what is the button below with the light on for?

There are TOO many options and not enough time to spend all day driving everything!

Heated wiper park/windshield. If you live someplace where you get snow/ice in the winter, its great as you will never have to worry about wipers getting stuck to the windshield and the blades staying a bit more pliable and wipe better during those conditions. My Subaru had the same feature and loved it during the winter.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:55 PM
Pro

Yes, I live in the Midwest, so this feature would be ideal! I do have to say though, I think the RDX Aspec is one of the best-looking SUV's in that price range. I do like the regular ASPEC rims better than the Aspec with the advance package though...
Old 05-07-2023, 08:37 AM
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 92 Posts
Fair to assume you're leasing? You're not gonna notice much difference, so it really depends on the nuance, such as:

a) Would your state property taxes go up for the new car valuation? (Con for '23)
b) Would you consider buying out your '21 lease at the end? (Pro for keeping '21 because you wouldn't want to waste your great equity on a new lease)

Frankly if I had a maturing lease right now, I'd look into buying it out and then selling the car privately if I wanted to switch cars. Dealers are making a killing on these lease receipts these days.

Last edited by jmhumr; 05-07-2023 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
I'd never replace a vehicle with the same vehicle. There's no fun in that.
The following users liked this post:
ELIN (05-09-2023)
Old 05-07-2023, 01:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by jmhumr
Fair to assume you're leasing? You're not gonna notice much difference, so it really depends on the nuance, such as:

a) Would your state property taxes go up for the new car valuation? (Con for '23)
b) Would you consider buying out your '21 lease at the end? (Pro for keeping '21 because you wouldn't want to waste your great equity on a new lease)

Frankly if I had a maturing lease right now, I'd look into buying it out and then selling the car privately if I wanted to switch cars. Dealers are making a killing on these lease receipts these days.
This is most likely what I am going to do. I really don't know what I want to replace it with. I may just keep it for another year or so. I do like the BMW X3 and Lexus NX. I really need to drive both of them.
Old 05-07-2023, 04:23 PM
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
You make a good point there.
Old 05-07-2023, 08:07 PM
Pro

My wife keeps pushing me towards a 23 or 24 (depending on when I get a new vehicle) Lexus NX 350 F-Sport. I do like the look of the redesigned NX, but I actually like the looks of the RDX better. Decisions, decisions...
Old 05-07-2023, 09:01 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
My wife keeps pushing me towards a 23 or 24 (depending on when I get a new vehicle) Lexus NX 350 F-Sport....
Then there is really no choice, is there?...you should get the NX!
Old 05-07-2023, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by hand-filer
I would say that depends on the vehicle and what changes may have been made that may be worth while to you. I had purchased the same vehicle 4 times over 3 different generations, the first 2 purchased, the last 2 leased (and also part of the same generation). The last
Old 05-08-2023, 06:02 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Then there is really no choice, is there?...you should get the NX!
Well, true…..Happy wife, Happy life, right?

I’m just not completely sold on the NX’s looks. Then again, I haven’t actually seen one up close in-person. So, that will be a vehicle I need to drive and spend some time with.
Old 05-08-2023, 07:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 394 Likes on 299 Posts
Well, true…..Happy wife, Happy life, right?

I’m just not completely sold on the NX’s looks. Then again, I haven’t actually seen one up close in-person. So, that will be a vehicle I need to drive and spend some time with.
I was OK with looks but the use run flats, too much technology (didn't like the lack of physical buttons), and dealer asking $5k markup for a hybrid made me prefer the RDX. Was never interested in the gas NX as my main draw to it was for mpg. The Luxury trim has better seats than the RDX. In terms of driving and also rear seat and trunk space, the RDX is better.

Also, double check if you will be getting 2 keyfobs with the NX. Those were backordered with no ETA when I was looking.

Last edited by anoop; 05-08-2023 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2023, 08:04 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by anoop
I was OK with looks but the use run flats, too much technology (didn't like the lack of physical buttons), and dealer asking $5k markup for a hybrid made me prefer the RDX. Was never interested in the gas NX as my main draw to it was for mpg. The Luxury trim has better seats than the RDX. In terms of driving and also rear seat and trunk space, the RDX is better.

Also, double check if you will be getting 2 keyfobs with the NX. Those were backordered with no ETA when I was looking.
What do you find better about the RDX in terms of driving performance? I know the SH-AWD is better than Toyota’s AWD.

I’m sure I’ll end up sticking with an Acura product though, it always seems like I end up back with Acura.

Does anyone have any idea when the RDX will be given a refresh? 2025?
Old 05-08-2023, 09:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

What do you find better about the RDX in terms of driving performance? I know the SH-AWD is better than Toyota’s AWD.

I’m sure I’ll end up sticking with an Acura product though, it always seems like I end up back with Acura.

I like the RDX steering feel and suspension better. But that’s comparing to NX luxury; F-sport may have better suspension. But I don’t think the steering changes so RDX would always win. Also run flats are bad — they get very noisy after around 10k miles (had several generations with BMW) and they don’t handle as well as non run flat. This is why BMW doesn’t use run flat on M cars (or at least didn’t used to) and also why Lexus left them off the new RX.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:53 PM
Advanced

While I can't say much about the feel of the current NX interior, by the pictures it just looks ok and doesn't wow me. I'm sure its very well put together, but the RDX is also well put together. In general I haven't been a fan of the Lexus interior look. The GV70 has the interior that should be in the Lexus.
Old 05-09-2023, 03:33 PM
Drifting

Received 1,248 Likes on 906 Posts
This is most likely what I am going to do. I really don't know what I want to replace it with. I may just keep it for another year or so. I do like the BMW X3 and Lexus NX. I really need to drive both of them.
I would not lease the same exact car but that's just me! Also, how much downpayment do you stand to lose by getting out of the lease early? That is one of the "hidden costs" of this transaction that the dealer hopes you forget!

Concerning cars that have been mentioned:

X1 - the redesign looks nice and the on-paper specs are impressive. Only issue is that it is still based on the MINI and therefore, not a true BMW!
X3 - I have this and have no regrets leaving Acura. I get 1 mpg better fuel econ than the TLX I gave up so I would imagine 2-3 mpg better than the RDX (by extrapolation?). A nice one won't come cheap!
NX - in reality, not a direct competitor to RDX as it's too small (Volvo XC40 is similar in size to the NX). As others have said, the hybrid version will command ADM. For the gas version, I had fuel anxiety w/my TLX but it would be even worse on the NX!

I am excited by the prospect of the CX70 coming out w/the same inline 6 as the CX90! I think many of us are waiting w/bated breath concerning performance (a possible M40i killer?).

Last edited by ELIN; 05-09-2023 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ELIN
I would not lease the same exact car but that's just me!
I'm the opposite. I find comfort in familiarity. Once I decided NX was a no go because of the price with markup, I replaced my 2019 with a 2023 same color and trim. Set me back ~$20K with TTL. An NX (350h Luxury) would have set me back closer to $30K.

The car that I ogle at every time I see one is the ID.4. Love the design both exterior and interior. The seat comfort of the RDX is marginally better, but the suspension on the ID.4 was more comfortable. The ID.4's infotainment is a basket case. Also the VW dealer is far away and if there were to be problems with the car, I'd probably be getting Tiguan rentals.
Old 05-09-2023, 07:39 PM
Drifting

Received 1,248 Likes on 906 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
I'm the opposite. I find comfort in familiarity. Once I decided NX was a no go because of the price with markup, I replaced my 2019 with a 2023 same color and trim. Set me back ~$20K with TTL. An NX (350h Luxury) would have set me back closer to $30K.

The car that I ogle at every time I see one is the ID.4. Love the design both exterior and interior. The seat comfort of the RDX is marginally better, but the suspension on the ID.4 was more comfortable. The ID.4's infotainment is a basket case. Also the VW dealer is far away and if there were to be problems with the car, I'd probably be getting Tiguan rentals.
Everyone's different. My philosophy is life is too short to not try new things. My knowledge base grows through different experiences.