Transmission Differences - Does it adjust to driver behavior?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2021 | 12:23 PM
1st Gear

Transmission Differences - Does it adjust to driver behavior?

Hey everyone, newbie here! If I missed a thread that already addressed this, please point me the right direction. I don't currently own an RDX, but I'm planning to buy a CPO one in the next few weeks. Wife and I went and test drove a 2019 ASpec and 2019 Tech Pkg on Saturday. Loved them both, but decided that the Advance Pkg was probably the right thing for me (more comfortable seats, HUD, 360 camera, etc.). Went to a different dealer an hour away to look at a CPO Advance last night. Vehicle is great overall, but I didn't buy (yet?) because I just wasn't 100% confident due to the fact that the transmission just didn't "act" quite the same as the other few that I've driven over the last few months. I'm not a gearhead like some of you (wish I was!), but there was a bit more lag when I really gave it gas, and the shifting between gears was just a little less smooth. It was only noticeable when I intentionally was more aggressive in acceleration (which is part of the fun of this vehicle!). I had the same drive modes on, so it wasn't that.

So my question is: Does this sound normal? Dealer said it could be that the prior owners (70-yo retired couple that didn't drive much) just drove it very differently, and that the transmission learns and adapts to a driver's style. Is that true? Does it adapt to a new driver fairly quickly? Is there a way to reset the transmission to factory settings? Any advice or input here would be appreciated!
Old 04-20-2021 | 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes, the transmission does adapt to driver input. You can try driving more aggressively for a minute or two on that car, and the transmission should stay more alerted for a while. As long as the difference between the car and the others is the response not the absolute power (I mean once you apply WOT the acceleration should be similar), and the car passes the above test, then I hope you will be more confident. Good luck with the shopping. RDX does have some quirks, but once you learn to work with the car, it is a good one.
The following users liked this post:
ljoneill (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021 | 06:01 PM
Skeptic

Drive it like you're s'posed ta. Drive it like you mean it.

The following 3 users liked this post by NooYawkuh:
FactoryMatt (04-22-2021), Ih8honda (05-05-2021), sonyfever (04-20-2021)
Old 04-20-2021 | 07:26 PM
Racer

In another tread I outlined how the transmission adapts. It has to do with the ECM monitoring how quickly the transmission changes from one gear to another. (Done by looking at input shaft speed compared to output shaft speed). By looking at the engine load factor and then the shift time the computer can modify the transmission oil put output to change the speed (and softness or harshness) of the shift. Some vehicles have one learned pattern while others have multiples which look at different driving conditions. This of this: Dead stop and you floor it for a fast get away. You need sharp, quick shifts. Second condition: You pull out from a stop with a light throttle and start going down a hill in a 25 MPH speed limit. Very light throttle, mostly a coast condition. Soft easy shifts to make care smooth. It learns your normal driving and "anticipates" just how much to adjust the pump pressure to make the shifts you normally need.
The following 2 users liked this post by hans471:
JB in AZ (04-23-2021), ljoneill (04-22-2021)
Old 04-21-2021 | 12:08 PM
Intermediate

Coincidentally, my RDX has been w/Acura for 12 days (as of today) - and this was one of the callouts.

Several weeks ago, I had gone in for an oil change and to address errors that had been flashing regarding the AWD.

Since then, the RDX started to feel sluggish from a stop. Kept thinking it was connected to the oil (brand, type, viscosity, "break-in") - so when I returned again (12 days ago) b/c the TSB update they applied to address the AWD issue didn't resolve it, I called the sluggishness out.

Response was that there were several codes being displayed, and that it was possible that one of those errors (or a combination of them) is the reason for the sluggish start. I was able to confirm the different feel as well b/c they provided me an RDX Tech as a loaner, and the difference was apparent after driving for a few minutes. They concluded that the errors were a result of the "electric steering rack" having gone bad. That said, still don't know for sure if that resolved it.

I guess, all that to say that it's my opinion that you're not wrong to be concerned about the different feel, and you're in the right to call it out. The adapting ability of the transmission is something I'll admit I wasn't aware of, but if that were the case for me - I would have not noticed a change at all.
Old 04-21-2021 | 04:21 PM
Intermediate

There's the "transmission reset" video going around lately. I tried it and noticed no difference, but you might want to try?

Basically turn car from acc to on (no engine start, just "on") and hold down the gas for 30 seconds until the check engine light goes off. Turn car off and turn back on completely and bam, trans reset. Supposedly.

Old 04-21-2021 | 08:06 PM
Skeptic

Reading up on that, I wonder if it's applicable to the 3rd Gen RDX. Some claim it's an ECU reset, not just the transmission shift map.

I wonder if this might help with my throttle response in Comfort and Sport modes. It has always seemed a bit "stcky" in those modes. Not so much a lack of power or slow shifting but sometimes when I go from a dead stop, the pedal has more "resistance". I overcome the resistance and the car jumps. It never happens in Sport+, even when accelerating moderately. It almost feels like a sticky throttle linkage but, of course, there is no linkage. It's a drive-by-wire control system with feedback loading. And that has to be under software control. It doesn't always happen but it has never happened in Sport +.