Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 11:30 AM
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
For DIY'ers, etrailer.com is a good source for trailer hitches and about anything trailer-related.

They show two hitches for 2021 RDX, a Draw-Tite and a Curt. The Curt is about $350 and the Draw-Tite about $135. Both are 2" class III.

Etrailer 2021 RDX Hitches

I have no knowledge of either hitch beyond what they say on their web page, just passing along some info.

I don't have any affiliation with etrailer except as a long term customer, I've bought hitches and trailer stuff from them for almost almost every vehicle I've owned over the last 20 yr. Always good prices and great customer service.

HTH...
Old 10-18-2020, 05:57 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In The Middle Would Be Great!

I also installed the Draw-tite hitch but when I bought it from etrailer there was no alternative and the cost was about $350. I haven’t seen a Curt but at less than half the cost of the Draw-tite with the same rating I’d certainly consider it. When I mounted the hitch I wasn’t real fond of the way the receiver sticks out beyond the bumper and I wondered if it could be moved to the forward set of holes. The mounting holes in the hitch are slotted and while I thought it might work in the forward position, I didn’t want to get on my knees to pin the hitch insert every time I wanted to pull a trailer. I just looked at mine and the ends of the tube would definitely have to be trimmed to prevent interference with the mufflers. Draw-tite says that their hitch can be used with spare tires up to 19”, if you were to move it forward carrying a spare would no longer be possible. The last issue in moving it forward is it would use mounting holes that Acura doesn’t use

2021 A-Spec with Draw-tite
for their hitch, are they as capable as the OEM mounting holes?
Old 10-19-2020, 02:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RonO
I also installed the Draw-tite hitch but when I bought it from etrailer there was no alternative and the cost was about $350. ...
Oops...I mixed them up in my post. The Draw-Tite is listed for about $350 and the Curt is about $135. My bad...
Old 10-21-2020, 08:26 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ovation
Thanks for these pics and info on moving the draw-tite forward.

I have a 2021 RDX and measured the spacing of the 3 bolt holes in the frame. Rear to middle = 5-3/4 in. Middle to front = 6-1/8. You obviously somehow did this, but unless the holes in the hitch plates are a good size bigger than, the bolts, how would this be possible? Did you have to drill the hole in the plate larger to give it more play? Maybe the bolt hole spacing in the 2020 is uniform?
The holes in the hitch are much larger... almost two holes wide for any small manufacturing variances....
Old 10-21-2020, 08:26 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by markAZ
Oops...I mixed them up in my post. The Draw-Tite is listed for about $350 and the Curt is about $135. My bad...
I bought my Draw tite from AutoAnything for about $140...
Old 10-21-2020, 11:07 AM
Pro

Wow...quite a difference. Looks like you made out.
Old 10-21-2020, 01:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
After looking at all the options, I went ahead with the Acura hitch and had them install it yesterday. I decided it would look the nicest on the car. $600 installed with the 20% discount on the parts. It looks nice. No big fat pipe visible like the draw tite. It's my wife's car, sooo...

The Acura hitch only comes in 1-1/4 inch. which is fine for me as I'll only be putting a couple bikes on it. The other hitches are certainly cheaper and bigger, and I'm sure are best for many people. I thought about installing it myself. Could have saves $250. But the 4 muffler hangers would have been a problem for me.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:47 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Not to knock your choice but I have wonder whether resale value is higher on a 2” hitch vs. 1.25”. People who don’t care one way or t’other might consider them equally, but those in the know will prefer the 2”

Also, $600 for factory hitch? Seems expensive. I think I was less than $300 all-in for my Draw Tite.

Last edited by Waetherman; 10-21-2020 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts
The Acura hitch and replacement lower plastic bumper parts were about $310 plus tax. 1.5 hours of labor at $175, plus 7% parts and service tax here in FL and there you go. We'll be keeping this car for 8 years or so, so resale is not a factor in my case.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:28 AM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by ncsustash
I ended up buying the Curt Hitch as it was more than half the cost of the Draw-tite. I'll update with pictures when I get it installed next weekend.
please post the pictures, like to see how curt hitch after you install it.
The following users liked this post:
vtmarvin2001 (10-22-2020)
Old 10-23-2020, 08:30 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picture of Curt Install

Originally Posted by Yotrek
please post the pictures, like to see how curt hitch after you install it.
Same here. Been holding out fir the Curt. Can’t believe three are not pictures anywhere!
Old 10-24-2020, 12:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vtmarvin2001
Same here. Been holding out fir the Curt. Can’t believe three are not pictures anywhere!

Just finished. As many have mentioned the hardest part is getting the exhaust off the rubber hangers. WD-40 was a key tool. I might try to move it to the forward holes, but didn't want to pull it off again. Only problem I have is that it touches the plastic bumper in the center, but let's say it's a perfect fit.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:36 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by ncsustash

Just finished. As many have mentioned the hardest part is getting the exhaust off the rubber hangers. WD-40 was a key tool. I might try to move it to the forward holes, but didn't want to pull it off again. Only problem I have is that it touches the plastic bumper in the center, but let's say it's a perfect fit.
Thanks so much for sharing.

How many inches would you say it sticks out?

By any chance would you be able to take a shot further away from the car? Trying to see how low it goes down to compare to the Draw Tite.

Thanks again — looks good!

b
Old 10-25-2020, 04:54 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by ovation
After looking at all the options, I went ahead with the Acura hitch and had them install it yesterday. I decided it would look the nicest on the car. $600 installed with the 20% discount on the parts. It looks nice. No big fat pipe visible like the draw tite. It's my wife's car, sooo...

The Acura hitch only comes in 1-1/4 inch. which is fine for me as I'll only be putting a couple bikes on it. The other hitches are certainly cheaper and bigger, and I'm sure are best for many people. I thought about installing it myself. Could have saves $250. But the 4 muffler hangers would have been a problem for me.
I installed the Acura hitch myself and did not have to remove any exhaust hangers.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:58 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Waetherman
Not to knock your choice but I have wonder whether resale value is higher on a 2” hitch vs. 1.25”. People who don’t care one way or t’other might consider them equally, but those in the know will prefer the 2”
While I agree a 2” hitch is better than the 1.25, an RDX isn’t exactly a tow vehicle. With that in mind, I would think the fact our hitch would drive a higher retail if it made any difference at all.
Old 10-26-2020, 03:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vtmarvin2001
Thanks so much for sharing.

How many inches would you say it sticks out?

By any chance would you be able to take a shot further away from the car? Trying to see how low it goes down to compare to the Draw Tite.

Thanks again — looks good!

b
3 inches measured from the tip of the middle tip on the black plastic part of the bumper. Probably 2" from the furthest part of the white plastic bumper.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:21 PM
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Draw-Tite Hitch

Draw-Tite rear hitch HERE~ I installed it myself in about 30min. Directions tell you to remove exhaust hangers and such, but that's not needed. You just need to remove a portion of the black rear bumper valence 4 screws and a few plastic push clips and the hitch slides right into place to screw down into the frame. Very easy. Clearance is ok too as you can see from the pictures below. I know there isn't a need for a class III hitch on the RDX, but my bike rack is a 2in and I swap the rack between this and my truck, just wanted to have the option to use either car.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:21 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi all. New here and recently bought a 21 A Spec. I’m going to revive this thread in hopes of adding clarity and seeing if any other options have arose since the Curt release.

I’ve read this thread multiple times, and several others, to try and ground myself on this properly. I became very worried reading this 150lb tongue weight limit on the factory hitch, as that’s truly pathetic and FAR exceeded by even small loads. Taking a typical 2 bike hitch that weighs 50lbs with a capacity of 50lbs per bike and an estimated center of gravity 3ft from the hitch, gives 450lb-ft of torque on the hitch.. static, that’s not even taking into consideration dynamic loading. If that dude can only handle 150lbs we’re all flirting with disaster.

Reading through the manual I see where people are getting the 150lbs, but it’s not really a specified hitch load limit. It’s illustrated in the manual as don’t exceed 10% of max trailer load on the hitch due to driving safety.. reducing traction on the front wheels is what they specifically call out. In reality the manual doesn’t list any load limit on the hitch. I haven’t found anywhere that shows actual mechanical limits of the hitch assembly.. anyone else?

All that said, it’s obvious the hitch can handle a rack and a few bikes so I’m not overly concerned about the factory setup for that, but a 2” is just so much easier to deal with for accessories, and even rack options. Looking at the design of the aftermarket racks, especially the Curt (seems more streamlined), I don’t see why they couldn’t adjust the fitment to make the 2” receiver integrate into the bumper. From a business stand point I get it.. don’t sell a part that requires the customer buy other parts from other places.. but honestly.. take a factory hitch trim panel, open the hole up, take the Curt hitch and push forward an inch or so and up a couple inches and it would integrate WAY better. I’m actually going to reach out to Curt and see there thoughts on it.

In the meantime, has anyone tried anything different than the Curt or DrawTite?
Old 02-22-2021, 09:50 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

As I understand it, the tow and tongue rating for the RDX are not specific to the hitch assembly itself, but to the car. You can get a Draw-Tite hitch (as I did) that is rated to 3500/350 lb but that doesn't mean your RDX can tow more, because it's the car itself that's the limiting factor, not the hitch.

That said, I don't think there's an real problem having a little more than 150 lb on the hitch. People here have put motorcycles on there, without apparent problem. I wouldn't put a 500 lb bike there, but a dirt bike weighing 250 seems to be fine.

I put three bikes on an Allen hitch rack and it's solid. Bikes don't weigh 50 lbs though, more like 25-35 for most. My Allen four bike hitch rack is rated to 140 lbs.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:39 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Curt does have a Class 3 hitch with a 2 inch receiver, but unsure on fitment.
https://www.curtmfg.com/part/13423

I would love to get a 2 inch receiver on my Aspec, but I have the OEM 1.25 with the required rear valance. I don't understand why a 2 inch receiver isn't avaiable in the same manner, without hanging below like the Draw tie.
Funz51 (03-08-2021)
Old 03-30-2021, 04:56 PM
Racer

Just installed draw-tite hitch on mine, didn't realize that after I attached my bike rack, everytime I backed up it trigger parking assist alarm, bit annoying, did some of you have same experience?
Old 03-30-2021, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Same, drives you nuts
Old 03-30-2021, 08:24 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Same here I just turn the parking sensors off when backing up with my bike rack on then turn them back on when going fwd. Easy fix with just a button.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:52 AM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got my CPO '20 Advance RDX and join this forum. I just want to share my experience installing Curt hitch using inner 2 holes set to avoid interference to HFA which came with Advance model. HFA still affect if you attach anything to the hitch and keep it on all the time. Hope it help some of you.

Gap between frame and muffler

Measure the cut as needed

Here is where I start the cut

If you unlucky like me, you will need to file the slot to put the screw in

Did the same on both sides

Hitch came in wider than the space between frames, I need to use ratchet strap to squeeze in the hitch to guide it in first, then remove the strap and use the floor jack to push it up. Did this couple times b/c I need to file more to extend the slot hole.

Hitch installed after 8 hours. Was planning to do in 2 hours but due to issue with wider hitch and hole need to file.

Car came with 3 set of holes for hitch mounting. OEM hitch uses all of them. After market uses only 2.

I got hard time removing the pin to move to corner. You might need to google how.

Add some custom label to remind me of the spec limit.

Print extra so I put on the other side instead of throw it away.

This is the only place HFA will work if you attach anything to the hitch.
grandicornis (04-14-2022)
Old 04-01-2021, 01:07 AM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Nice set of photos and notes on the install! Thanks for posting this, it should help many.
Maverick2050 (04-05-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 12:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kboo74656
Same here I just turn the parking sensors off when backing up with my bike rack on then turn them back on when going fwd. Easy fix with just a button.
Oh well, I guess, what choice do we have..
Old 04-01-2021, 02:54 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Yotrek
Just installed draw-tite hitch on mine, didn't realize that after I attached my bike rack, everytime I backed up it trigger parking assist alarm, bit annoying, did some of you have same experience?
This will happen to all cars (make or model) with the backup sensor/camera. There is no way to avoid it unless you turn the sensor off.
Old 04-02-2021, 02:17 PM
Racer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pqt2020rdx
This will happen to all cars (make or model) with the backup sensor/camera. There is no way to avoid it unless you turn the sensor off.
Yes understood..
Old 03-05-2022, 04:19 PM
5th Gear

Do you use a bike rack with your forward setup of the DrawTite?
Old 03-05-2022, 04:25 PM
5th Gear

Just got my CPO '20 Advance RDX and join this forum. I just want to share my experience installing Curt hitch using inner 2 holes set to avoid interference to HFA which came with Advance model. HFA still affect if you attach anything to the hitch and keep it on all the time. Hope it help some of you.

Gap between frame and muffler

Measure the cut as needed

Here is where I start the cut

If you unlucky like me, you will need to file the slot to put the screw in

Did the same on both sides

Hitch came in wider than the space between frames, I need to use ratchet strap to squeeze in the hitch to guide it in first, then remove the strap and use the floor jack to push it up. Did this couple times b/c I need to file more to extend the slot hole.

Hitch installed after 8 hours. Was planning to do in 2 hours but due to issue with wider hitch and hole need to file.

Car came with 3 set of holes for hitch mounting. OEM hitch uses all of them. After market uses only 2.

I got hard time removing the pin to move to corner. You might need to google how.

Add some custom label to remind me of the spec limit.

Print extra so I put on the other side instead of throw it away.

This is the only place HFA will work if you attach anything to the hitch.

Hello, Do you use a bike rack with your forward setup of the Curt hitch? I'm wondering if there is enough clearance to fold up a 1Up bike rack without having it hit the rear bumper. I do certainly prefer the forward setup and am not fond of having to add an extension every time I use the rack. Yes, I want my cake and to eat it too...

Thanks
Old 03-05-2022, 04:35 PM
10th Gear

You will need extension for bike rack. Most, included mine, will not clear the bumper. I use my cargo carrier instead.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:09 PM
5th Gear

You will need extension for bike rack. Most, included mine, will not clear the bumper. I use my cargo carrier instead.
Thank you. Was it necessary to bend the two anchor wings inward before lifting it in place or can the hitch be squeezed up into place with a floor jack as is?Looks like there is 1 full inch difference in span between the front and rear bolt holes or 1/2” per side.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:16 PM
10th Gear

I squeezed it using Ratchet Tie-Down Straps then push it up.
Old 03-15-2022, 01:30 PM
3rd Gear

Anyone has Curt tow hitch installed on their Acura RDX 2019+? Does the Hands-Free Access Tailgate Sensor works with it?
Old 03-16-2022, 10:45 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

I have the city hitch but on a Tech model. If I remember correctly all hitches interfere with the auto open function, but I could be wrong. Check with your dealer.
Old 03-17-2022, 06:27 AM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
Omg I screwed up! I bought an RDX a couple weeks ago and included a hitch in the purchase. The sensor was on back order so they havent installed it yet, but I am having it installed next thursday.

However I didnt realize that the thing was only a 1 1/4" Class1 hitch! I do see that there are 1 1/4 <--> 2" adapters though...

My only intent with this is to carry 3 bicycles at once, and then get a cargo carrier that I could load my 220lb generator onto (or just store some extra stuff for camping trips). Should I try to cancel with the dealer and get money back and get after-market? I included the hitch in the purchase order, so it would be hard to get the dealer to give me $$ back. But maybe I could get some equivalent priced accessory?

I am pretty sure the adaper will suffice for me, but everyone here seems to know alot about this stuff, so asking.
Old 03-17-2022, 07:00 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Personally I would try to return it. The stock hitch seems to be fine and many people use it for carrying bikes and such, but there are far more accessories for a 2” hitch - more bike racks, cargo racks, and of course actual trailers. Sure there are adapters but they add length and just seem cumbersome. Also I wonder if they cause more strain because of the leverage.

BTW I believe the tongue weight limit is 150 lbs, so watch out when carrying your 220 lb generator.
Old 03-17-2022, 11:10 AM
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 37 Posts
If anyone here has the oem hitch can you tell me how far back the hole is from the opening of the receiver,....and if the hitch receiver has a welded stopper anywhere inside?
Old 04-13-2022, 11:55 PM
3rd Gear

The short sensor is on the back order and I will be installing Acura oem hitch by myself. Has anyone tried to install original sensor with it?

I know that it doesn't fit but I'm considering cutting plastic and putting wires around the hitch. Would something like this work?
Old 04-19-2022, 12:13 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks all for the thread.

I just installed my Curt 2 inch hitch on my 2021 A-Spec the other night. No wiring as it's just for a bike rack. No HFA on mine so no moving of the sensor needed.

Took me about an hour, mine looks exactly NCSUSTASH posted above.

I don't like how far it sticks out but I have the spare tire under the car so no other choice.

I also don't like how the OEM lip is pressed against the hitch.

I much preferred the fit on my prior 2017 RDX...it kept the bike rack closer to the rear of the car as well.

Last edited by Swerny; 04-19-2022 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Trailer Hitch