Trading in my Advance. I知 done!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 05:50 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by Catman70

I bought the RDX for 46k and sold it back to them for 42k. They knew I was unhappy with my RDX and didn稚 want to lose my loyalty. Over the years I致e probably bought 6 cars from them

That's good... How long did you have your RDX?

Last edited by Midnight Mystery; 03-12-2019 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Fuck it.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:02 PM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
That's good... How long did you have your RDX?
Just shy of 9 months
Old 03-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by Catman70

Just shy of 9 months

Wow! You must have bought the first one...

Ok... Seriously... You got a great deal on trade after having it that long...
Old 03-12-2019, 08:48 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by ceb
Can you edit your post and reformat it so that one can read it?
Hmmm....I didn't type it the way it's showing now. Not sure what happened. Sorry.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:32 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Hmmm....I didn't type it the way it's showing now. Not sure what happened. Sorry.
No worries. Somewhere those pesky line breaks got in.​​​​​​
Old 03-12-2019, 10:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Still loving my TSX wagon, but recently looking for an RDX - but I'm now contemplating an MDX given all these issues that don't seem to be getting resolved.

That post made my head hurt.
I'd wait just a little longer and either snag a 2020 RDX or a next generation MDX. I do really like the current generation MDX but it feel incredibly dated inside and I'd be bored of it within weeks. Acura is slowly making enhancements to the RDX. Hopefully by the end of summer it should be really smoothed out!
Old 03-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I'd wait just a little longer and either snag a 2020 RDX or a next generation MDX. I do really like the current generation MDX but it feel incredibly dated inside and I'd be bored of it within weeks. Acura is slowly making enhancements to the RDX. Hopefully by the end of summer it should be really smoothed out!
The car has been out for 10 months and I have had it for 8. The software is getting better, but I am still waiting for my first free quarterly map update.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:12 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

The car has been out for 10 months and I have had it for 8. The software is getting better, but I am still waiting for my first free quarterly map update.
You and me both Dogg.. I still have the "Map Is Out Of Date" message coming up.. I contacted HERE about the map update and they are saying June
The following users liked this post:
Madd Dog (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 10:16 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

That makes sense but I'm a little concerned about Acura's decision to bring new technology to market while expecting early adopters to alpha test the system. As much as I like Acura, I'm really disappointed that Acura has let itself design and sell vehicles that are rapidly declining in reliability and seem to be marketed to reviewers that have a day or so in the seat and convince themselves that the buggy infotainment is just because they didn't have enough time to learn the system.

Japan built their reputation on letting others develop products and refining then to make them bulletproof. the Germans have the reputation for building cutting edge cars that work but are fragile and expensive to repair.

Unfortunately, Acura seems to make changes for the sake of change and lets the customers fend for themselves to sort problems out - the two screens, the touchpad, the push button shifter.

What Acura doesn't seem to, is to capitalize on the advanced technology that they have created - SH-AWD and the hybrid technology. While it makes some marketing sense to limit supplies to keep demand high, to throttle supply to the point where they are nearly impossible to obtain in the configuration you want is absurd.
The following users liked this post:
HotRodW (03-13-2019)
Old 03-13-2019, 10:20 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Personally I am looking at the 2020 Mercedes GLE with the new MBUX interface or the 2020 Volvo XC60 that has the full Android system built-in
Old 03-13-2019, 10:39 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
Personally I am looking at the 2020 Mercedes GLE with the new MBUX interface or the 2020 Volvo XC60 that has the full Android system built-in
GLE looks good about 55k MSRP for base model with Nav. Shop around you can get big discounts on Mercedes I got 9k off my wife's new C300 2 months after the new 2015 redesign came out. That would bring the price down close to an Rdx Advanced.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:03 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I hung out on lots of boards (VW, BMW, Audi, Honda, Jeep, Acura, Lexus, Mercedes, Toyota [Land Cruiser/4Runner], Cadillac, Hyundai) and this is the first time that I've several people saying "I bought this thing a short while ago and I'm trading it and taking a big hit. I'm OK with that because this vehicle is just too buggy"

Does anyone have similar examples from another brand where multiple people are dumping cars because of problems that don't rise to the level of a lemon? Especially with a car that most likely isn't bought with your parent's money.

You'll always have an unhappy owner or two, but here it seems like far more and well thought out complaints. Most of the unhappy owners did lots of research before the purchase and don't seem like car flippers.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Njbrandon
GLE looks good about 55k MSRP for base model with Nav. Shop around you can get big discounts on Mercedes I got 9k off my wife's new C300 2 months after the new 2015 redesign came out. That would bring the price down close to an Rdx Advanced.
I have my eye on the new GLE as well. It just came out so don't expect much of a discount right now. There are so many options I'd like to have that it pushes the price up into the $70K+ range. A 350 with a few basics would probably be low $60K range.

2020 GLC is getting a refresh to add the MBUX system as well which is more in line with the RDX.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I feel like they really don't have a large enough IT team or maybe even an exclusive Acura IT team or even the team is being split between fixing RDX glitches and possibly perfecting the system in the new MDX and TLX. The next generation RLX is coming out in August! They might be heavily tied up with that. I'm certain a giant update is coming down the pipeline at some point. It will be smooth sailing thereafter.

Originally Posted by ceb
That makes sense but I'm a little concerned about Acura's decision to bring new technology to market while expecting early adopters to alpha test the system. As much as I like Acura, I'm really disappointed that Acura has let itself design and sell vehicles that are rapidly declining in reliability and seem to be marketed to reviewers that have a day or so in the seat and convince themselves that the buggy infotainment is just because they didn't have enough time to learn the system.

Japan built their reputation on letting others develop products and refining then to make them bulletproof. the Germans have the reputation for building cutting edge cars that work but are fragile and expensive to repair.

Unfortunately, Acura seems to make changes for the sake of change and lets the customers fend for themselves to sort problems out - the two screens, the touchpad, the push button shifter.

What Acura doesn't seem to, is to capitalize on the advanced technology that they have created - SH-AWD and the hybrid technology. While it makes some marketing sense to limit supplies to keep demand high, to throttle supply to the point where they are nearly impossible to obtain in the configuration you want is absurd.
I fully fully agree with you. This concept of using loyal buyers and people new to the brand as test subjects is a horrible horrible way of burning people off the brand permanently. I think they should have run the 2G RDX for another year (it was certainly selling in very good numbers still) and spent the year thoroughly working out the bugs on the 3G. Acura definitely does make changes for the sake of change. In a way it's kind of cool to see a company so willing to keep trying new things rather than sitting with one thing. On the other hand they keep jumping ship just before they've had a chance to perfect something and they wait too long on things that should be let go. But it seems to me like they've finally picked a direction now.

Infotainment issues aside though, they've really outdone themselves with this generation RDX. It went from fighting based on value and perceived reliability to literally doing things BETTER than its' rivals! IMO this is the first Acura in nearly 2 decades to legitimately sell because it's better than the competitors in many ways. The fit and finish is phenomenal, the styling (especially on the A-Spec) is actually downright attractive! IMO in 10 years it is still going to look good. Even if you don't plan to keep it 10 years, it's nice knowing it will retain the freshness. It also drives very very well. Super tight and agile! Can't say any of that about the 2G RDX.

So that's just a long way of me saying be patient for updates to come out and once the infotainment is sorted, it will be the best option on the market in its' price class IMO.

Originally Posted by Meto
I LOVE that new GLE and the XC60. Both incredibly good looking and sophisticated! I'm especially in love with that new MBUX interface! It looks sooooo upecale. It also bums me out because the new VW Touareg also has a similar interface but it won't be coming to NA. .

Originally Posted by ceb
I hung out on lots of boards (VW, BMW, Audi, Honda, Jeep, Acura, Lexus, Mercedes, Toyota [Land Cruiser/4Runner], Cadillac, Hyundai) and this is the first time that I've several people saying "I bought this thing a short while ago and I'm trading it and taking a big hit. I'm OK with that because this vehicle is just too buggy"

Does anyone have similar examples from another brand where multiple people are dumping cars because of problems that don't rise to the level of a lemon? Especially with a car that most likely isn't bought with your parent's money.

You'll always have an unhappy owner or two, but here it seems like far more and well thought out complaints. Most of the unhappy owners did lots of research before the purchase and don't seem like car flippers.
I think this is exactly about what you're saying. These are people who did not spend daddy or mommy's money and at this price point expected a lot more from the vehicle. But I mean in fairness people only come to forums to complain and it isn't fair to use a forum as a benchmark for reliability. We have members on here without a single issue, they're just silent because that's human nature.

I personally am waiting for the facelift (hoping for either Type-S or A-Spec becoming a package on the Advance trim) mostly for updates to be made but also because of the aforementioned trim situation. I think given a few more months it will be a rock solid system. It certainly is nowhere near as horrendous as the first years of I-Drive lol.
Old 03-13-2019, 05:15 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

I feel like they really don't have a large enough IT team or maybe even an exclusive Acura IT team or even the team is being split between fixing RDX glitches and possibly perfecting the system in the new MDX and TLX. The next generation RLX is coming out in August! They might be heavily tied up with that. I'm certain a giant update is coming down the pipeline at some point. It will be smooth sailing thereafter.

I fully fully agree with you. This concept of using loyal buyers and people new to the brand as test subjects is a horrible horrible way of burning people off the brand permanently. I think they should have run the 2G RDX for another year (it was certainly selling in very good numbers still) and spent the year thoroughly working out the bugs on the 3G. Acura definitely does make changes for the sake of change. In a way it's kind of cool to see a company so willing to keep trying new things rather than sitting with one thing. On the other hand they keep jumping ship just before they've had a chance to perfect something and they wait too long on things that should be let go. But it seems to me like they've finally picked a direction now.

Infotainment issues aside though, they've really outdone themselves with this generation RDX. It went from fighting based on value and perceived reliability to literally doing things BETTER than its' rivals! IMO this is the first Acura in nearly 2 decades to legitimately sell because it's better than the competitors in many ways. The fit and finish is phenomenal, the styling (especially on the A-Spec) is actually downright attractive! IMO in 10 years it is still going to look good. Even if you don't plan to keep it 10 years, it's nice knowing it will retain the freshness. It also drives very very well. Super tight and agile! Can't say any of that about the 2G RDX.

So that's just a long way of me saying be patient for updates to come out and once the infotainment is sorted, it will be the best option on the market in its' price class IMO.

I LOVE that new GLE and the XC60. Both incredibly good looking and sophisticated! I'm especially in love with that new MBUX interface! It looks sooooo upecale. It also bums me out because the new VW Touareg also has a similar interface but it won't be coming to NA. .

I think this is exactly about what you're saying. These are people who did not spend daddy or mommy's money and at this price point expected a lot more from the vehicle. But I mean in fairness people only come to forums to complain and it isn't fair to use a forum as a benchmark for reliability. We have members on here without a single issue, they're just silent because that's human nature.

I personally am waiting for the facelift (hoping for either Type-S or A-Spec becoming a package on the Advance trim) mostly for updates to be made but also because of the aforementioned trim situation. I think given a few more months it will be a rock solid system. It certainly is nowhere near as horrendous as the first years of I-Drive lol.
I forgot about iDrive. It took BMW a few years to work out the bugs - but - it required new hardware. The 2001 and 2002 iDrives still don't work better than when they were introduced - then there is the GM CUE and the Ford Sync - both of those have not improved their first generations.

I predict hardware changes for 2020 but I'm not sure if that will flow down to the 2019s.

You're absolutely right - when you buy a car for $50k, then you can realistically expect that everything works - including Android Auto if Acura says it is coming soon.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:10 AM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I traded a Lexus NX that had zero issues in almost 4 years because I wanted something bigger and drove better. My RDX is paid off so at this point I don't care about losing money just to get rid of the daily headaches. The infotainment system is a complete mess. There's nothing else out right now that I really want I've been patiently waiting for the 2020 models. I've purchased more than 10 first year models, and other than an Audi 15 years ago not a single vehicle had any issues, so the whole buying a car in first year is no excuse. Acura needs to get the infotainment system fixed because its ruining an otherwise great vehicle.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Still loving my TSX wagon, but recently looking for an RDX - but I'm now contemplating an MDX given all these issues that don't seem to be getting resolved.

That post made my head hurt.
The CW2 is a great car. I had a 12 CU2 Special Edition 6-speed in BWP. I regret selling it.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:23 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Dcshoesboy
The CW2 is a great car. I had a 12 CU2 Special Edition 6-speed in BWP. I regret selling it.
Yes, they are reliable, comfortable and quite competent. Every time I'm looking at a new car I ask myself "what does it do that the Sportwagon doesn't" and there isn't much.