Touchpad and locks questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020 | 11:14 AM
Advanced

Touchpad and locks questions

Hi - i’m a couple of months into owning my 2020 RDX now, and while I’ve basically figured everything out, I have a couple of issues that keep arising and I’m wondering if there’s any easier fix for them. I’ve read the user manual, so I’m thinking no, but thought I’d check.

1. I mostly use Google maps via CarPlay for navigation, but I think this question would apply to basically any map program, including the built-in navigation. It’s really challenging to move around on the map. I find it very hard to use the touchpad to get to one of the four arrows that move the map around. Granted, I’m coming from a car – a really old one – that had hardware arrow buttons and you could easily move at the map around, but this seems extraordinarily difficult, especially because when I want to move the map, it’s usually a time-sensitive situation.

2. Is there anyway to unlock the car doors from the back of the car? Like is there one of those touch sensors like there are on the door handles? Again, my old car had a lock button on the outside of the liftgate. I often find myself opening the liftgate while my son is waiting to get into the car. And I don’t normally take my keys out of the purse, so I can’t just hit the remote button easily.
Old 01-20-2020 | 03:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by coffeemaker
1. I mostly use Google maps via CarPlay for navigation, but I think this question would apply to basically any map program, including the built-in navigation. It’s really challenging to move around on the map. I find it very hard to use the touchpad to get to one of the four arrows that move the map around. Granted, I’m coming from a car – a really old one – that had hardware arrow buttons and you could easily move at the map around, but this seems extraordinarily difficult, especially because when I want to move the map, it’s usually a time-sensitive situation.
I am using an Android phone, and AndroidAuto, but I agree with the awkward navigation with the touch pad on Google maps. Seems like Google/Acura designed it for distraction free driving. You can't keep your eyes on the road while panning around the map easily. Perhaps, future RDX generation will come with a touchscreen instead of the touchpad. It's more natural to use the touchscreen for these systems that originally were designed for touch anyway.

2. Is there anyway to unlock the car doors from the back of the car? Like is there one of those touch sensors like there are on the door handles? Again, my old car had a lock button on the outside of the liftgate. I often find myself opening the liftgate while my son is waiting to get into the car. And I don’t normally take my keys out of the purse, so I can’t just hit the remote button easily.
Which trim/package is your RDX? Mine's a Tech, and it does have touch buttons on the backdoor's handles to unlock them (like those on the front door's handles). There's configurable settings you can configure in the infotainment Settings menu for those.
Old 01-20-2020 | 03:33 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rdxnguyen

Which trim/package is your RDX? Mine's a Tech, and it does have touch buttons on the backdoor's handles to unlock them (like those on the front door's handles). There's configurable settings you can configure in the infotainment Settings menu for those.
hmmm - I have an Advance model. I just checked, and I saw no sensor on the liftgate, nor was there a setting for it other than the setting for how and when the liftgate itself is unlocked. I’m looking for a way to unlock the car doors from the liftgate. I do have sensors on the back seat doors.
Old 01-20-2020 | 04:49 PM
Skeptic

Opening the tailgate with your foot or the button does not unlock the other doors. Touching the driver's door handle only unlocks the driver's door. When I'm getting in the car with other people, I touch the rear door handle which unlocks them all.

The "hamburger" glyph on the door handles can be touched to lock and unlock the doors, alternately.
Old 01-20-2020 | 07:27 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Isn’t there a setting in the info system to unlock the doors when the rear is unlocked? I’m away from my car this week but I thought that was an option. Also, I think there’s an option to unlock all doors when you touch the driver door. But it’s been awhile since i was messing with the lock settings so I could be wrong.

As for the maps, I don’t use G maps usually but I thought there was a two finger scroll. Or am I just thinking of the onboard nav?
Old 01-20-2020 | 07:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Waetherman
Isn’t there a setting in the info system to unlock the doors when the rear is unlocked?
no, it doesn’t seem so.

I’m away from my car this week but I thought that was an option. Also, I think there’s an option to unlock all doors when you touch the driver door.
yes, this is a setting

As for the maps, I don’t use G maps usually but I thought there was a two finger scroll. Or am I just thinking of the onboard nav?
i think this just works in menus and the like.

Old 01-21-2020 | 09:23 AM
Cruisin'

I just tested mine this morning to make sure and all my doors unlock when I open the tailgate, either with the "kick" or by using the handle. The tailgate control has two switches, the one to the left opens the tailgate (and unlocks my doors). The one to the right is only about 1/5 the size of the other and is a lock button, but on mine it only locks all the doors, no unlock function.
I find the configuration menus to be somewhat confusing and poorly organized with "Keyless Access Setup" "Door Setup" and "Power Tailgate Setup" menus. Roughly I've got mine set up to provide the maximum automation but am not fully sure which control the functions you want. I think "Keyless Access Setup...Door Unlock Mode" needs to be set to ""All Doors", "Power Tailgate Setup...Power Tailgate Keyless Open Mode" set to "Anytime" and "Door Setup...Key and Remote Unlock Mode" set to "All Doors".
Old 01-21-2020 | 09:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by alrouse
I just tested mine this morning to make sure and all my doors unlock when I open the tailgate, either with the "kick" or by using the handle. The tailgate control has two switches, the one to the left opens the tailgate (and unlocks my doors). The one to the right is only about 1/5 the size of the other and is a lock button, but on mine it only locks all the doors, no unlock function.
I find the configuration menus to be somewhat confusing and poorly organized with "Keyless Access Setup" "Door Setup" and "Power Tailgate Setup" menus. Roughly I've got mine set up to provide the maximum automation but am not fully sure which control the functions you want. I think "Keyless Access Setup...Door Unlock Mode" needs to be set to ""All Doors", "Power Tailgate Setup...Power Tailgate Keyless Open Mode" set to "Anytime" and "Door Setup...Key and Remote Unlock Mode" set to "All Doors".
This is Greek to me, in terms of there being multiple buttons. There’s nothing about this in the owners manual either? But I will check it out. What year is your car? Is it US?
Old 01-21-2020 | 09:56 AM
Cruisin'

This is Greek to me, in terms of there being multiple buttons. There’s nothing about this in the owners manual either? But I will check it out. What year is your car? Is it US?
My car is a 2019 US Advance. Picture of the tailgate controls:

Try stopping the tailgate about halfway up and you should be able to see the controls.
Old 01-21-2020 | 10:26 AM
Advanced

Try stopping the tailgate about halfway up and you should be able to see the controls.
thank you!
Old 01-21-2020 | 12:34 PM
Skeptic

Holy $#!+!! I never noticed that little button before.
Old 01-21-2020 | 02:19 PM
-- Instructor --

2019 Manual - Page 151

Regards -------------

Old 01-21-2020 | 06:56 PM
Advanced

Thank you - I had NO idea about this, and I literally read the Owner's Manual. That said, while I definitely found the lock function, the unlock doesn't seem to work for me. I do have it set to open only the drivers door when I click the remote or touch the driver's door, but even the driver's door doesn't unlock when I open the liftgate. However, the lift gate does itself unlock and open. So, this doesn't solve my problem, but it's still good to know. I wonder why the lock button can't be an lock/unlock button, just like the sensors on the doors.
Old 01-21-2020 | 08:24 PM
Advanced

When I open the hatch on my 2019 A-Spec all the doors unlock...
Old 01-22-2020 | 01:15 PM
Skeptic

... , and I literally read the Owner's Manual.
There's where I went wrong. I only read it figuratively and metaphorically.
Old 01-22-2020 | 01:18 PM
Racer

Thank you - I had NO idea about this, and I literally read the Owner's Manual. That said, while I definitely found the lock function, the unlock doesn't seem to work for me. I do have it set to open only the drivers door when I click the remote or touch the driver's door, but even the driver's door doesn't unlock when I open the liftgate. However, the lift gate does itself unlock and open. So, this doesn't solve my problem, but it's still good to know. I wonder why the lock button can't be an lock/unlock button, just like the sensors on the doors.
You need to do this with the car in on mode or engine running. From the home screen go to Settings > Vehicle > Keyless Access Setup > Door Unlock Mode and then select All Doors. I just tried this on our 2020 Advance and I think it's what you're looking for.