Tires, road noise, resale value and more ranting LOL!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 03:32 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by SG103
I'm not saying I regret my purchase. All cars have positive and negatives to them, in many ways this car is better than my 2013 RDX. My point is this car has much more tire noise than the previous generation. I like this car enough to try and work on it's weak points and intend to try some Dynamat to see if I can improve the car.
there is a thread here somerwhere, where 1 owner took his whole car apart and insulated it.....impressive
Old 12-07-2020, 09:14 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by flames9
there is a thread here somerwhere, where 1 owner took his whole car apart and insulated it.....impressive
Or, just plain nuts. But it's his car, his choice.
Old 12-31-2020, 11:05 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne
This is why I have a difficult time approaching the forum complaint of "loud road noise." It can objectively be measured and then everyone has subjective feelings about it. Before I purchased my RDX, I looked at Alex on Autos because he measures cabin noise across cars on same condition roads. The RDX was like a B+ or something, I forget at this point and I don't care enough to go back and look. It wasn't tops, but it was above average and it certainly wasn't bad. Then everyone on this forum goes around talking like it's practically the worst cabin noise ever. I recently did drive on a highway that had two types of concrete paving -- some stretches it had smooth concrete and others it had rough or textured concrete -- and I can certainly see what people are saying about road noise being higher when I drove on the rough concrete. But, like NooYawkuh, that meant that I had to turn my radio up to "6" from the normal of "4." So if people are approaching that as "this is unacceptable road noise," then that's pretty ridiculous and people need to stop with the melodramatics.

Additionally, the problem with Lexuses -- this is just based on what I researched, I didn't even bother test driving one -- is that they are too disconnected from the road. They have a "floaty" suspension that is often described as "driving a boat." But I tend to think that if they are that well insulated, that would contribute. In other words, I like hearing some of the sound of the road as I drive on it and I like feeling the connection between the car and the road. Maybe the RDX is a bit louder than I would like in a perfect world, but it's completely fine.
I checked Alex on Autos and he rated Cabin Noise "A" with the Advance Package. He sure likes the RDX which is great.
Old 01-01-2021, 02:12 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Well... I ditched my RDX and couldn't be happier. The final straw for me was riding in my brother's 2013 Equinox a few times recently on the same roads where I was so familiar with the ride and noise level of my RDX. It became obvious to me that the RDX ride was no better and was just as noisy as a equinox with 80,000 miles on it and to me i just couldn't live with that in a $40,000 vehicle. I wound up at a Toyota dealership on Black Friday and they gave me pretty close to Blue Book and after a test ride in a new Highlander limitted and a nice discount off sticker I put the matter to rest. I'm 64 with a little bit of a high-pressure job and I decided my primitive side only needed to be satisfied 5% of the time and the other 95% of the time I wanted to be bathed more in quietness and luxury. My fun car is a 2019 Camaro with the 450 Corvette engine so I still have plenty of fun in the garage if I need it. Life is now good! Lol.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sounds like you made out good in the end then. The Highlander is a fine car in its own right. And as you said, it's a matter of perspective and what you're looking for. Me, I'm still fairly "young" at 39 and had modified Hondas in my even younger days, so I still appreciate the handling and engine noise (however fake it may be) of the RDX. On top of that, no room in the garage for a 2nd fun car, so the RDX meets that balance well enough for me. Enjoy the new whip!
The following 2 users liked this post by wilee81:
amcobra (01-01-2021), JB in AZ (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 07:18 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
I’d be curious to know what the best bang-for-buck sound reduction hacks would be. Is it replacing the tires for $1000? Or insulating the doors? The floor? Materials charge is low for soundproofing the body, but looking at what went into the full job that @BoBoish did, I imagine labor costs would be high if you’re not doing it yourself. I’m guessing the doors would cost $1000, and the floor several times that.

Anyone have a sense of where the best value is?
Old 01-01-2021, 07:40 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
You would have to find out what the cause of the road noise is, rather than just assume that all "loud" cars are loud for the same reason. I'm not trying to be insulting or confrontational, just stating the fact. As I keep on saying, this is a very odd and tiring subject that this forum keeps grinding on because it's completely subjective. I went back and checked the Alex on Autos video and he measured the cabin noise at 70 dB. Is that loud? That's supposedly around the level of normal human conversation, so you might say yes or no. Here's a thought: if it bothers this forum so much, do the following. First, measure your cabin noise. Tell us what it is. Then, go out and test drive a few cars under same conditions. Do NOT measure the cabin noise. Just decide if it's better or worse and by how much. Then measure the noise. See if it matches up, like a blind test. Then report back.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:47 AM
Banned

By the way, I can't prove this and this is completely subjective also, but to me most of the cabin noise is the pumped in engine noise. For example, I mentioned that I drove on a concrete highway and it was loud. But I drove it a few more times and if I wasn't hitting high rpms (which, for me, as reference, is only in the range of 2300 rpm) it actually was much quieter. Now, you might then say "well then, Acura should stop pumping in engine noise, especially because we all think it's cheesy." I would agree with that, since I don't care about engine sound. But car manufacturers do that because a lot of people do care about it and want to hear this "powerful" engine in their car. What can you do? Nothing.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:17 AM
Be the Best Be Great

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
You would have to find out what the cause of the road noise is, rather than just assume that all "loud" cars are loud for the same reason. I'm not trying to be insulting or confrontational, just stating the fact. As I keep on saying, this is a very odd and tiring subject that this forum keeps grinding on because it's completely subjective. I went back and checked the Alex on Autos video and he measured the cabin noise at 70 dB. Is that loud? That's supposedly around the level of normal human conversation, so you might say yes or no. Here's a thought: if it bothers this forum so much, do the following. First, measure your cabin noise. Tell us what it is. Then, go out and test drive a few cars under same conditions. Do NOT measure the cabin noise. Just decide if it's better or worse and by how much. Then measure the noise. See if it matches up, like a blind test. Then report back.
I hope to use a similar process. I've complained about tire noise (a 'rumbling effect on non-smooth pavement) on my 2019 Advance to the auto dealer. I am not sure if the cause is from the tires or suspension but seems from front only. I got little attention, they brushed it off as "normal". Then I suggested that we take a new, off the lot, similar vehicle (an Advance) with the same tires tires and test drive to determine if we get the same noise. They agreed to do that "as soon as we can get another vehicle, we'll call you"." After three weeks I got no response. I will be taking all service requirements to the Honda dealer across the street that is owned and managed by a different company, This story ain't over yet.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:27 AM
Banned

Well, that brings up the other question. I mean, if the cabin noise is acceptable on smooth pavement, what's the issue? Are we saying it must be equally quiet on non-smooth pavement? If the expectation that going over newly-paved asphalt should be the same as going over a cobblestone road, then clearly the problem is the person's expectations.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:30 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Sound is not “completely subjective” but how much it bothers someone is, and that probably has to do with both the volume and the frequency. For me, I think the car is mostly fine but when the pavement isn’t nice and smooth, the sound is noticeably louder. That’s what makes me think it’s a specific thing and that it can be fixed (well, at least reduced).

I knew going into the purchase that the RDX was slightly louder inside than some competitors, but all the competitors had other deficiencies that were more significant to me. So I’m not much complaining about the RDX, and I’m not interested in going on a bunch of test drives to see what is better and what is worth - I did that when I bought my car and likely won’t do that again for another 5-7 years. I am really just focused on making my car better for me, at the least expense possible.
The following users liked this post:
amcobra (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 08:37 AM
Banned

If it's only on certain road conditions, then I would blindly guess that it's a combination of the tires and suspension. So maybe try changing to Comfort mode? Then maybe change the tires?
Old 01-01-2021, 10:31 AM
Be the Best Be Great

Well, that brings up the other question. I mean, if the cabin noise is acceptable on smooth pavement, what's the issue? Are we saying it must be equally quiet on non-smooth pavement? If the expectation that going over newly-paved asphalt should be the same as going over a cobblestone road, then clearly the problem is the person's expectations.
Answer to Question 2: It is not just 'noise' but uncomfortable vibration as well, it rides like there is a small rock stuck in the treads. something that should not be an issue and is not an issue with other vehicles - the Ford Edge, for instance, that my neighbor has and that we had compared. Note: process of elimination -tire vs suspension. Your first question: That was the dealer's argument and I KNOW it is bs.

Last edited by Acure4RDX; 01-01-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:39 AM
Be the Best Be Great

If it's only on certain road conditions, then I would blindly guess that it's a combination of the tires and suspension. So maybe try changing to Comfort mode? Then maybe change the tires?
Change tires? = $1000. Dealer persuasion first then Acura rep.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Acure4RDX
Answer to Question: It is not just 'noise' but uncomfortable vibration as well, something that should not be an issue and is not an issue with other vehicles - the Ford Edge, for instance, that my neighbor has and that we had compared. Note: process of elimination -tire vs suspension.
Yes, I compared the Edge with the RDX before I bought. I compared MANY vehicles. I decided on the RDX for several reasons. I had had GREAT reliability on our two Ford Escapes we had owned, and did not have any reliability concerns with buying an Edge. Also had a wonderful experience with the 2018 CR-V Touring that I ended up trading for the RDX because my wife didn't want to trade her 15 Escape! Honestly, the Ford dealer had been the BEST new car dealer I have ever dealt with, both sales and service. However, I do tend to change vehicles often, and I just could not again deal with the awful resale value of the Fords, and I really wanted something a bit more upscale. Did I get that? Hard to say. Honestly, I might have been happy with the Edge, the Lincoln version was above my price comfort level.

I am not at all disappointed with the RDX, but I do notice higher road noise on some road surfaces, and when I do hear this, I wonder.....

Last edited by JB in AZ; 01-01-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Acure4RDX
uncomfortable vibration as well, it rides like there is a small rock stuck in the treads
See, that brings up a point I brought up in one of the numerous threads about "brake squeal." People all mean different things when they make these seemingly-similar complaints. I don't think anyone means "there's bad vibration" when they're discussing cabin noise. Also, I have never experienced this ride sensation of a "rock stuck in the treads" that you're talking about. (I actually don't even know what that means, since we all have rocks stuck in our treads all the time.)
Old 01-01-2021, 12:14 PM
Be the Best Be Great

See, that brings up a point I brought up in one of the numerous threads about "brake squeal." People all mean different things when they make these seemingly-similar complaints. I don't think anyone means "there's bad vibration" when they're discussing cabin noise. Also, I have never experienced this ride sensation of a "rock stuck in the treads" that you're talking about. (I actually don't even know what that means, since we all have rocks stuck in our treads all the time.)

The point is: One vehicle in the same environment has an issue and one does not.

For some obscure reason I am reminded of a quote by Albert Einstein: "Imagination is more important than knowledge".

Last edited by Acure4RDX; 01-01-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

[QUOTE=JB in AZ;16663834]While I agree that differences in the road surface do make a big difference in the noise heard in the cabin, I think it would be interesting to be able to compare the actual decibel difference on the same roadway section in different cars. I am not unhappy with the interior sound levels in my RDX.
JB, how would you say the RDX compares to your CR-V on those same stretches of I-10?
I have a 2015 Mercedes C-300 that is fun to drive but you can certainly notice the noise level with the changes in road surfaces. I am looking to buy a 2021 RDX Advance and am hoping for an improvement over my Mercedes.
Old 01-01-2021, 05:20 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by chasator
JB, how would you say the RDX compares to your CR-V on those same stretches of I-10?
I have a 2015 Mercedes C-300 that is fun to drive but you can certainly notice the noise level with the changes in road surfaces. I am looking to buy a 2021 RDX Advance and am hoping for an improvement over my Mercedes.
There is no doubt that the RDX is quieter than the 18 CR-V that I traded in for the RDX, but like many have said here, decibels and frequencies are received differently by each individual. I have over 27,000 miles on my 2019 RDX, and the tires are probably 75% worn, which always increases road noise... and that noise so gradually increases as tires wear. Honda has made huge strides in the CR-V interior noise levels. Our new 2020 is quieter than the '18 was, but the 2020 has the same tires as our RDX, where the '18 had, I want to say Hankook tires. The CR-V sounds a bit louder and "empty"...If I was going to take a 2-3 hour drive, the RDX would be my first choice between the two, disregarding the seat comfort and the other amenities of the RDX over the CR-V. I can't speak about the C-300, as I have never even been in one.

Do you have the ability to drive your Mercedes and a 2021 RDX over the same "noisy" road sections back to back to compare? I know, unless there are large differences in noise levels it is still hard to compare. We have a surface road into our subdivision that the town recently resurfaced with "chip seal", and it is noisy...MUCH less so in our RDX than even our 2020 CR-V. We drive about 1 mile on it when we come and go, Speed limit is 40 mph. Residents of the whole area have been fighting with the town to re-do it due to noise.

I'm not sure this helped you any, sorry!
chasator (01-02-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 06:53 PM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I knew going in that the RDX didn’t get astounding reviews when it came to road noise. However, coming from a 2004 Honda CR-V with 287,000 miles (lol), I think this topic does become quite subjective seeing as it’s rooted in relativity (what you drove before or what you’re used to driving). Also, the RDX has one of the best sound systems out there - how often are you driving around in silence anyway?
JB in AZ (01-01-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 07:04 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Waetherman
I’d be curious to know what the best bang-for-buck sound reduction hacks would be. Is it replacing the tires for $1000? Or insulating the doors? The floor? Materials charge is low for soundproofing the body, but looking at what went into the full job that @BoBoish did, I imagine labor costs would be high if you’re not doing it yourself. I’m guessing the doors would cost $1000, and the floor several times that.

Anyone have a sense of where the best value is?
I had a stereo shop install sound deadening on the inner doors skins of our 2020 Advance for $500. It would have been $900. to do both inner and outer skins. The stereo shop was up front and said they didn't think doing the doors would make any difference with the tire noise. They said it would work much better if the complaint was for wind or traffic noise but I wanted to give it a try anyways. My wife and I don't think it made a noticeable difference.

We then replaced the nearly new OEM tires with Michelin Premier LTX tires and also don't think that made much of a difference. I'm not sorry we did those 2 things but as far as bang for the buck, I wouldn't recommend either. Perhaps other type tires might help more.
The following 2 users liked this post by GW208:
JB in AZ (01-01-2021), Waetherman (01-02-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 07:47 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Swakow
Also, the RDX has one of the best sound systems out there - how often are you driving around in silence anyway?
There's an old saying on these threads "What's a little road noise when we're experiencing ELS in the cabin?" TURN IT UP
chasator (01-02-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Noise tolerance is a very personal thing. What is too loud to one is not even noteworthy to another. I know this from years of dealing with vehicle complaints. In my professional career I drove or rode in thousands of cars of many makes and models and spoke to countless owners. Some heard things that I frankly could not hear at all. Others had vehicles they were satisfied with but which had bad sounds that made me want to get out and walk. So all I have to say about noise is simple: Drive the vehicle you are thinking about. Run it over every type of road surface you could ever encounter. Decide if the sound levels are something you can live with or not. If the car seems too loud go drive something else until you are satisfied. Along the way you will notice other differences in vehicles. If you are tuned into the feel of a vehicle you will soon realize that one has to look at the whole of the parts. A vehicle is much more than the sound of the road noise. Its handling, braking, "feel", etc. If you just want "quiet" then go buy one of those big over stuffed, rubber bushing loaded, fat old man cars where you feel totally isolated from the sound, and feel, of the road. I have been in enough of those and know while the quiet is nice the complete isolation from the road and handling of the vehicle is something I really detest. My RDX is much quieter than the Fit we run around in around town. It is not as quiet as my neighbor's Lexus RX, a car I can easily afford but which I would never ever buy.
The following 2 users liked this post by hans471:
chasator (01-02-2021), JB in AZ (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 11:12 AM
Be the Best Be Great

Some wood

Some wood for the fire:

https://www.goliath.com/auto/10-ways...-and-annoying/
Vince D (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 03:47 PM
Intermediate

Smile

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
There is no doubt that the RDX is quieter than the 18 CR-V that I traded in for the RDX, but like many have said here, decibels and frequencies are received differently by each individual. I have over 27,000 miles on my 2019 RDX, and the tires are probably 75% worn, which always increases road noise... and that noise so gradually increases as tires wear. Honda has made huge strides in the CR-V interior noise levels. Our new 2020 is quieter than the '18 was, but the 2020 has the same tires as our RDX, where the '18 had, I want to say Hankook tires. The CR-V sounds a bit louder and "empty"...If I was going to take a 2-3 hour drive, the RDX would be my first choice between the two, disregarding the seat comfort and the other amenities of the RDX over the CR-V. I can't speak about the C-300, as I have never even been in one.

Do you have the ability to drive your Mercedes and a 2021 RDX over the same "noisy" road sections back to back to compare? I know, unless there are large differences in noise levels it is still hard to compare. We have a surface road into our subdivision that the town recently resurfaced with "chip seal", and it is noisy...MUCH less so in our RDX than even our 2020 CR-V. We drive about 1 mile on it when we come and go, Speed limit is 40 mph. Residents of the whole area have been fighting with the town to re-do it due to noise.

I'm not sure this helped you any, sorry!
Your thoughts were a HUGE help so thank you!! I just pulled the trigger on a 21 Advance PKG and your explanation pushed me over....but in a good way. Happy New Year to you!
The following 2 users liked this post by chasator:
JB in AZ (01-02-2021), Vince D (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 03:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hans471
Noise tolerance is a very personal thing. What is too loud to one is not even noteworthy to another. I know this from years of dealing with vehicle complaints. In my professional career I drove or rode in thousands of cars of many makes and models and spoke to countless owners. Some heard things that I frankly could not hear at all. Others had vehicles they were satisfied with but which had bad sounds that made me want to get out and walk. So all I have to say about noise is simple: Drive the vehicle you are thinking about. Run it over every type of road surface you could ever encounter. Decide if the sound levels are something you can live with or not. If the car seems too loud go drive something else until you are satisfied. Along the way you will notice other differences in vehicles. If you are tuned into the feel of a vehicle you will soon realize that one has to look at the whole of the parts. A vehicle is much more than the sound of the road noise. Its handling, braking, "feel", etc. If you just want "quiet" then go buy one of those big over stuffed, rubber bushing loaded, fat old man cars where you feel totally isolated from the sound, and feel, of the road. I have been in enough of those and know while the quiet is nice the complete isolation from the road and handling of the vehicle is something I really detest. My RDX is much quieter than the Fit we run around in around town. It is not as quiet as my neighbor's Lexus RX, a car I can easily afford but which I would never ever buy.
You are so right JB and thank you for your comments. Helped me with my decision just now to buy the RDX. So now a hopefully happy owner....
The following 2 users liked this post by chasator:
JB in AZ (01-02-2021), Vince D (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Vince D
There's an old saying on these threads "What's a little road noise when we're experiencing ELS in the cabin?" TURN IT UP
Like you Vince, I travel I-5 in the Portland area and have clients I meet up in Woodland. My client in Woodland has a 2019 RDX with 22 inch wheels that and he drives I-5 every day with no complaints.
Vince D (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 04:04 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GW208
I had a stereo shop install sound deadening on the inner doors skins of our 2020 Advance for $500. It would have been $900. to do both inner and outer skins. The stereo shop was up front and said they didn't think doing the doors would make any difference with the tire noise. They said it would work much better if the complaint was for wind or traffic noise but I wanted to give it a try anyways. My wife and I don't think it made a noticeable difference.

We then replaced the nearly new OEM tires with Michelin Premier LTX tires and also don't think that made much of a difference. I'm not sorry we did those 2 things but as far as bang for the buck, I wouldn't recommend either. Perhaps other type tires might help more.
Thank you for sharing the steps you took and that's a bummer you did not have noticeable difference. I do not recall where I saw on the internet that there is a spray on type material that could be applied to wheel wells and maybe other areas underneath the vehicle. If anyone has ever seen that process please post it to this forum. Thank you.