Tire Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2021 | 08:42 AM
Advanced

Tire Question

Hi Folks, Praying everyone is having a great day. I have a 2020 advance model with 21,000 miles. I got a nail in the rear driver side tire. Where the nail is located makes the tire unrepairable. With that many miles on these tires should they all be replaced? I am think it would not be good to have one new tire and three older ones. I appreciate your thoughts.
Old 07-18-2021 | 08:47 AM

it purely depends on your finances.
if you're scrapin to get by, then one tire will do.

if you can afford all 4 tires and feel the way you do about the other 3 being worn, by all means get 4!

Tires are equipped with wear indicators. it's a little bar running across the tread. if the wear bar is even with the tread, might be time for new tires anyway.

as you can see in the pic, the wear bar is even with the tread...the wear bars indicate this tire is done and needs replacing
The following users liked this post:
Mark-RDX (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021 | 08:57 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the reply. Does anyone think it would hurt performance having one new tire and three with 20k Miles?

Originally Posted by justnspace

if you can afford all 4 tires and feel the way you do about the other 3 being worn, by all means get 4!

Tires are equipped with wear indicators. it's a little bar running across the tread. if the wear bar is even with the tread, might be time for new tires anyway.

as you can see in the pic, the wear bar is even with the tread...the wear bars indicate this tire is done and needs replacing
Old 07-18-2021 | 09:25 AM

check the wear bars! that is why the wear bars are there...so you know when the tires are done for. because everyone has different driving habits....someone with 20k miles might have more tread than you!!!
if the wear bars are flush with the tread and you have one brand new tire, of course that one tire will be more grippy than the other three.
you could even get away with just buying two new tires. then rotating every 6k miles, until the older two are done for..then buying two more...

it would just be easier to buy all 4 and rotate every 6k miles

Last edited by justnspace; 07-18-2021 at 09:29 AM.
Mark-RDX (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021 | 09:42 AM
Racer

Depending on how much tread is left...you could go onto tire rack and buy 1 tire and then have it shaved down to match..( I did that back in 2012, wasn't $$$ to do, think it was like $25)..Of course you have to measure the tires yourself, the tool is cheap. Not many local places shave tires anymore.
Mark-RDX (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021 | 09:42 AM
Advanced

Here is a picture of the Tread Indicators. It does look like there's a bunch of tread left. The other picture is the metal object or nail that is in the tire. I am just trying to prepare myself before I take it in to know my options.

Old 07-18-2021 | 09:48 AM
Instructor

I had a similar situation with my 2016 @ 24.5k miles. Nail within an inch of the sidewall. I was at Discount Tire and they could have ordered a single OEM tire in but personally if I was going to go that route I would only replace them in pairs so they match across the axle. But the OEM Michelin's were pricey tires so for just a little more than the price of 2 Michelin's I was able to replace all 4 tires. They gave me a credit for the 3 good tires since they still had life left in them and they could sell them as used. Plus there was a $75 rebate going on at the time for the replacements I purchased. Zero regrets going this route as I still have those tires and all 4 match. But I was at a place where spending a little more money up front to replace all 4 wasn't a big deal.
Old 07-18-2021 | 12:11 PM
Pro

I would replace all four.
My opinion is tainted by the fact that I’m a freak for having four matching tires and never go much beyond 20-25K per set.
I’m switching to Pirelli Scorpion All-Season Plus II this week.
There are several tires available in this size that are rated much better than the OEM Continentals including Continental Cross Contact LX 25.
The following 4 users liked this post by catbert430:
Jim7707 (07-18-2021), Madd Dog (07-18-2021), Mark-RDX (07-18-2021), Vince D (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021 | 12:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Allegedly, replacing just one tire could cause stress on the AWD system causing something in the drivetrain to wear prematurely. How true this is ... I haven't a clue. I can see it being true on knobby mud tires with deep tread, but on street cars with all-seasons? I don't know if the variance would really be an issue. As someone suggested, you could have the tire place shave the tire.

Is the car a lease? If it is, I'd absolutely just place the one tire in question.
Old 07-18-2021 | 01:11 PM
Advanced

Thanks for your input. I totally agree. I paid cash for the car and plan to keep it till about 300K God willing! So I am going to replace them all.

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Allegedly, replacing just one tire could cause stress on the AWD system causing something in the drivetrain to wear prematurely. How true this is ... I haven't a clue. I can see it being true on knobby mud tires with deep tread, but on street cars with all-seasons? I don't know if the variance would really be an issue. As someone suggested, you could have the tire place shave the tire.

Is the car a lease? If it is, I'd absolutely just place the one tire in question.
NBPDC505 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-18-2021 | 01:22 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Originally Posted by catbert430
I would replace all four.
My opinion is tainted by the fact that I’m a freak for having four matching tires and never go much beyond 20-25K per set.
I’m switching to Pirelli Scorpion All-Season Plus II this week.
There are several tires available in this size that are rated much better than the OEM Continentals including Continental Cross Contact LX 25.
Would be curious, if you could catbert430 - post a photo of these Pirelli's on your RDX? They're on my very short list along with the Mich CrossClimate 2 SUV's...

Mark-RDX (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021 | 01:25 PM
Advanced

I am thinking either the Michelin Premier LTX or the Cross Climates, but I am leaning towards the Premiere. I am curious as well regarding the Pirelli's.

Originally Posted by Vince D
Would be curious, if you could catbert430 - post a photo of these Pirelli's on your RDX? They're on my very short list along with the Mich CrossClimate 2 SUV's...
Old 07-18-2021 | 01:35 PM
Drifting

If you absolutely cannot do 4, do two, and put them on the rear.

You do not want your rears losing traction before the fronts.

I would do all four if I could.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
amcobra (07-19-2021), Mark-RDX (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021 | 01:53 PM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by Mark-RDX
Hi Folks, Praying everyone is having a great day. I have a 2020 advance model with 21,000 miles. I got a nail in the rear driver side tire. Where the nail is located makes the tire unrepairable. With that many miles on these tires should they all be replaced? I am think it would not be good to have one new tire and three older ones. I appreciate your thoughts.
Same exact thing happened to me. Left rear tire went flat and was repaired. A year later with it rotated to the left front, it started to leak slowly at about 18K miles. I just changed the one tire because they all had plenty of tread left. If I get a flat halfway through the life of a set of tires, I'm not throwing the rest of them away. That was several months ago and it's been no problem at all. The tires are still performing well under all conditions. Of course, I replaced it with the exact same Continental tire.

Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Allegedly, replacing just one tire could cause stress on the AWD system causing something in the drivetrain to wear prematurely. How true this is ... I haven't a clue.
I've heard that too. It's pure unadulterated bullshit. A few mm difference in diameter does not put stress on the AWD system. The only time the tires rotate at the same exact rate is when you're going dead straight. That is, almost NEVER. Most of the time, all 4 wheels are rotating at different rates.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 07-18-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-18-2021 | 02:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Strongly recommend replacing all 4. The tires look pretty worn and the difference will stress the AWD system. It's really not worth damaging the drivetrain to save a couple hundred bucks.

There was a post I saw in one of the other forums where someone replaced a single tire and then after a year or so started hearing strange noises. They ended up selling the car for fear of what the damage might be.

Last edited by anoop; 07-18-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Mark-RDX (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021 | 02:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by justnspace

If the OP is scraping by and the AWD system fails, they will have a much bigger problem on their hands.
Mark-RDX (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021 | 03:09 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

I am thinking either the Michelin Premier LTX or the Cross Climates, but I am leaning towards the Premiere. I am curious as well regarding the Pirelli's.
FYI on the Cross Climates (and other Michelins?), which I have been seeing a lot of positive feedback on lately, at Discount Tire they have $110 instant savings on a set of 4 and a $50 rebate on top of that. That gets them down to about a net $200 per tire...not bad. The only thing I see is that these are Crossclimate 'SUV' there is a SUV and a 'non-SUV version), and are load rated XL. I don't think my factory Continentals on my ASpec are XL...I think they are SL. The only difference as I recall is a stronger sidewall for XL vs SL...and of course a higher lb. load rating. Don't know if that is needed on the RDX. The LR3 we just sold had a requirement (or strong recommendation) of XL tires....but that is partly due to the fact that thing was a heavy beast and could hold a bigger and heavier load than the RDX. But anyway...if you have a Discount Tire nearby....pretty good deal.
The following 2 users liked this post by EFR:
Mark-RDX (07-18-2021), Vince D (07-19-2021)
Old 07-18-2021 | 06:43 PM
Advanced

I will get them all replaced. Thank you.

Originally Posted by anoop
Strongly recommend replacing all 4. The tires look pretty worn and the difference will stress the AWD system. It's really not worth damaging the drivetrain to save a couple hundred bucks.

There was a post I saw in one of the other forums where someone replaced a single tire and then after a year or so started hearing strange noises. They ended up selling the car for fear of what the damage might be.
Old 07-19-2021 | 12:26 AM
Racer

I swapped out the stock tires on our 2020 Advance for a set of the Michelin Premier LTX DT tires from Costco at 5000 miles hoping for less tire/road noise. I couldn't honestly say that they made a bit of difference in that regard.
If you have concrete roadways in your area with the micro grooves cut into them I would not recommend these tires. They are not bad tires overall by any means but they are terrible for tracking those grooves. It almost feels like all the lug nuts are slightly loose on a particular stretch of road that we often drive on. The stock Continentals never did that.
Old 07-19-2021 | 01:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Did you try researching on tirerack? The premier has a “would buy again” rating of only 4.8/10. The cross climates have a corresponding rating of 8.8/10.
Old 07-19-2021 | 07:15 AM
Suzuka Master

I've successfully replaced tires in pairs on the 1st gen RDX. For as long as you run tires of the same wear on same axle, it will not damage AWD. It will also require you to rotate them differently (do not mix old and new). Its a pain, because at some point you will need to replace 2, while others are still good, so it will never end unless you just replace all 4 at some point...
Mark-RDX (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021 | 08:06 AM
Advanced

I didn't see those reviews but will check them out. I was looking at this. Where the tires are weak rating wise, is not an issue with me.

Originally Posted by anoop
Did you try researching on tirerack? The premier has a “would buy again” rating of only 4.8/10. The cross climates have a corresponding rating of 8.8/10.
Old 07-19-2021 | 08:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

I didn't see those reviews but will check them out. I was looking at this. Where the tires are weak rating wise, is not an issue with me.
The chart posted seems to be from tirerack. The main concern I have is that not many people like it enough to recommend it. It means there’s something wrong with the overall ownership experience.
Ih8honda (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021 | 02:37 PM
Racer

The biggest complaint with the Premier LTX seems to be with poor tire wear. The difference between the regular LTX and the LTX DT is tread depth, the LTX starts with 8.5/32" and the DT which we got is 10/32" deep. I guess this might be Michelins way of dealing with the premature wear.

The LTX tires get generally very good reviews for noise and ride comfort but as I mentioned, we do not notice any improvement over the stock tires in that regard.

Old 07-19-2021 | 03:47 PM
Skeptic

There are always tradeoffs with tires. If you want good dry performance, you might have to compromise on tread life, because of the rubber composition. If you want good wet or snow performance, you may have to compromise on noise, because of the tread design.

Personally, I'm more about performance and safety than I am about tire life or noise. Tires are the most important safety and performance feature on a car.
Madd Dog (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021 | 09:53 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Vince D
Just had them mounted this morning. They are definitely not a pretty tire but, here are a couple of pix..

The following 3 users liked this post by catbert430:
hand-filer (07-20-2021), Mark-RDX (07-22-2021), Vince D (07-20-2021)
Old 07-20-2021 | 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

No but still better than the swamp buggy tread profile of the Michelin Cross Climate 2. They are also rated quieter. Looking forward to your thoughts on ride, comfort, noise level etc.
That's a very nice shade of blue by the way.
Old 07-20-2021 | 04:37 PM
Pro

In very limited usage on some twisty local roads and on the highway, they are very smooth and quiet and handle nicely.
So far, I like them better than the CrossClimate SUV but, comparing 235/55/19 at 33 psi to 255/45/20 at 36 psi is not quite fair.
Old 07-20-2021 | 09:26 PM
Instructor

Instead of the Premier LTX ( wear rating UTQG 640) ……..consider the Defender LTX ( wear rating UTQG: 720 A A)

DEFENDER LTX M/SHighway All-Season
  • Size: 235/55R19 105H XL
  • Style: Blackwall
  • Eco Focus: Michelin Total Performance
  • Load Range: XL
  • Serv. Desc: 105H
  • UTQG: 720 A A
Crossclimate 1 are on close out and discontinued.
Crossclimate 2 is the update version with a higher mileage rating.
Old 07-21-2021 | 05:50 AM
Racer

Here is a picture of the Tread Indicators. It does look like there's a bunch of tread left. The other picture is the metal object or nail that is in the tire. I am just trying to prepare myself before I take it in to know my options.

Have you replaced the tires yet? I ask because I've had several nails in the same location as your tire and they were all easily fixed with a plug. What makes that nail unrepairable? (The photo is slightly blurry.) What about a patch from behind? Did you get a second opinion?
Old 07-21-2021 | 07:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Baldeagle
Have you replaced the tires yet? I ask because I've had several nails in the same location as your tire and they were all easily fixed with a plug. What makes that nail unrepairable? (The photo is slightly blurry.) What about a patch from behind? Did you get a second opinion?
Most tire stores take this pretty serious as its their liability insurance that demands they adhere to the TIA standards.

Yes, there a many people that believe the standards are too strict. So it’s controversial on the forums.

The following 2 users liked this post by Showkey:
anoop (07-22-2021), Baldeagle (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021 | 07:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Showkey
Most tire stores take this pretty serious as its their liability insurance that demands they adhere to the TIA standards.

Yes, there a many people that believe the standards are too strict. So it’s controversial on the forums.
Thank you Showkey. Very helpful post.
Old 07-21-2021 | 09:58 AM
Drifting

I had a screw in the tread, where yours is, and the tire place fixed it, and it stayed fixed.
Old 07-21-2021 | 03:42 PM
Skeptic

I was told by a tire shop it's not just location. Even in the middle of the tread, if the internal damage spreads or tears the steel belt, it may not be fixable. It's got to be a fairly clean puncture.

I suppose that's true but either way, you're at their mercy.
Old 07-22-2021 | 06:55 AM
Racer

Just discovered this in my daughter's car this morning.

Old 07-22-2021 | 09:03 AM
Advanced

How do they ride? do you like them?

Originally Posted by catbert430
Just had them mounted this morning. They are definitely not a pretty tire but, here are a couple of pix..

Old 07-22-2021 | 12:25 PM
Suzuka Master

What are the good choices for aspec 20”?
Old 07-22-2021 | 12:49 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the information. I have not replaced them yet. In fact the tire monitor is not going on, so it isn’t leaking air yet. I even pushed my luck and drove on them on 180 mile total round trip yesterday!

Originally Posted by Showkey

Last edited by Mark-RDX; 07-22-2021 at 12:50 PM. Reason: Spelling :)
anoop (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021 | 02:14 PM
Pro

How do they ride? do you like them?
Very happy with the Pirellis so far. I’ve only driven in dry conditions. They handle well and ride as smooth as silk. They’re quieter than the Continentals.
There are a lot of choices available. These were the top rated (#1 of 37) on Tire Rack. I got them cheaper at a local shop.

Mark-RDX (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021 | 04:48 PM
Racer

Thanks for the information. I have not replaced them yet. In fact the tire monitor is not going on, so it isn’t leaking air yet. I even pushed my luck and drove on them on 180 mile total round trip yesterday!
I went to Mavis Discount for my nail (post 35). They removed the tire from the rim, plugged the nail hole from the outside, patched it from the inside and even replaced the valve stem (I asked for that). Mounted and balanced again. $24 after tax. If your tire is not leaking, the odds are good the damage is minimal and a plug-n-patch technique will work and obviously save you money.
The following 5 users liked this post by Baldeagle:
anoop (07-22-2021), catbert430 (07-23-2021), Ih8honda (07-22-2021), Mark-RDX (07-29-2021), NooYawkuh (07-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Tire Question