AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   A-Spec owners - wish you had Advance instead ? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/spec-owners-wish-you-had-advance-instead-976047/)

russianDude 01-10-2019 08:48 AM

Aspec wheels look nice. Are they more likely to be damaged in pothole because they are lower? Looking at it from practical point of view for people that drive on horrible roads with holes.:ugh:

MI-RDX 01-10-2019 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by russianDude (Post 16362562)
Aspec wheels look nice....

Only if you like black wheels.

Sounds 01-10-2019 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by russianDude (Post 16362562)
Looking at it from practical point of view for people that drive on horrible roads with holes.:ugh:

Depends on the type of holes. A-holes, yes. ;)

RDX10 01-10-2019 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD (Post 16362513)
I've never seen so much whining and complaining over wheels. Just buy the model you want. If rims are so important to you then replace the wheels and tires to what you like or go buy BMW and option it out!. . :ugh: This is what we have

Weren't you the one mentioning how certain people on this forum weren't letting you post what you think about the RDX? How is this any different?

To reply to your comment. Acuras are typically purchased by people who can't or don't want to spend BMW money so it's hard for them to justify spending 5-10k over other trims only to get uglier wheels. These same people would rather not spend 2-3k changing out said wheels on a brand new car. I think that is why there is a lot of hate for the wheels, especially when getting the accessory wheels from Acura is a whopping $3500!!!! So you get zero credit for turning in your stock wheels.

Stew4HD 01-10-2019 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by RDX10 (Post 16362764)
Weren't you the one mentioning how certain people on this forum weren't letting you post what you think about the RDX? How is this any different?

To reply to your comment. Acuras are typically purchased by people who can't or don't want to spend BMW money so it's hard for them to justify spending 5-10k over other trims only to get uglier wheels. These same people would rather not spend 2-3k changing out said wheels on a brand new car. I think that is why there is a lot of hate for the wheels especially when getting the accessory wheels from Acura is a whopping $3500!!!! So you get zero credit for turning in your stock wheels.

You've confused me with someone else. If I have something to say, I say it. Always have.

As for the wheels, I understand the complaining but it's a waste of time and effort to keep doing so over something that isn't/hasn't/won't change. Your choices are either buy and change, don't buy or buy and live with it. That is all I am getting at. Too many on here don't like anyone defending their purchase, especially after others mention issues... so now I have a choice to make, right?

Sounds 01-10-2019 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by RDX10 (Post 16362764)
Acuras are typically purchased by people who can't or don't want to spend BMW money so it's hard for them to justify spending 5-10k over other trims only to get uglier wheels. These same people would rather not spend 2-3k changing out said wheels on a brand new car. I think that is why there is a lot of hate for the wheels, especially when getting the accessory wheels from Acura is a whopping $3500!!!! So you get zero credit for turning in your stock wheels.

Bingo. Well said.

skarface 01-10-2019 01:03 PM

I don't think its a waste of time complaining about things you don't like on here. Acura definitely reads these forums and implements changes to resolve common complaints. The visible exhaust on the 2017 MDX was implemented after complaints and looks nearly exactly like a DIY that someone posted on one of the Acura forums. I don't think that's a coincidence. I'll go out on a limb and predict the Advance rims will definitely be changed at least by the time the refresh rolls around. There's too much negative reaction to them not to.

Stew4HD 01-10-2019 01:04 PM

^fair enough.. ,

RDX10 01-10-2019 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD (Post 16362772)
You've confused me with someone else. If I have something to say, I say it. Always have.

As for the wheels, I understand the complaining but it's a waste of time and effort to keep doing so over something that isn't/hasn't/won't change. Your choices are either buy and change, don't buy or buy and live with it. That is all I am getting at. Too many on here don't like anyone defending their purchase, especially after others mention issues... so now I have a choice to make, right?

Yeah I'm probably confusing you with someone else.

As mentioned above, I do think people complaining is a good thing. I do think Acura corporate is reading these posts. Hopefully they improve them before the refresh, but like you said we really currently only have 3 options and mine would be to buy some A-Spec rims and use the oem Advance ones as winters.

russianDude 01-10-2019 03:11 PM

Complaining is wase of time for 2019, maybe in 2020 they change it. But I can see that its a hard choice between aspec vs advance, there are many pros and cons for each choice and people are trying to weight all the options.

JB in AZ 01-10-2019 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by russianDude (Post 16362904)
Complaining is wase of time for 2019, maybe in 2020 they change it. But I can see that its a hard choice between aspec vs advance, there are many pros and cons for each choice and people are trying to weight all the options.

To me, it's a no brainer! Advance with all the extra goodies. I don't care for the wheels (eh) , but I spend more time behind the steering wheel then I do looking at the road wheels.

russianDude 01-10-2019 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by JB in AZ (Post 16363059)
To me, it's a no brainer! Advance with all the extra goodies. I don't care for the wheels (eh) , but I spend more time behind the steering wheel then I do looking at the road wheels.

I tend to agree with this too (for myself). It also looks like 20” tires are more expensive to replace and possibly could be damged more likely in a pothole. Its whats important for you that matters.

Stew4HD 01-10-2019 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by JB in AZ (Post 16363059)

You won't regret going with the Advance.. maybe the wheels are ugly but the interior is sure nice to look at.. What color combo are you interested in?

skarface 01-11-2019 03:14 AM

Seems like the bigger issue is if you should even purchase a 2019 at all or wait until the 2020 model comes out. It would be smart to make sure they sort out the infotainment issues, etc. before buying. Based on the past with Acura, they might upgrade the hardware or software on the 2020 model and leave 2019 owners in the cold with a glitchy system thats patched up. They did that with the 2014 MDX when the 2015 model came out so it's not out of the question.

Plus Acura tends to toss in a couple of features for "free" with every new model year. Who knows, they might make the A-spec an option with the Advance package since its mostly an appearance package - then you can get both.

RDX10 01-11-2019 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by skarface (Post 16363264)
Seems like the bigger issue is if you should even purchase a 2019 at all or wait until the 2020 model comes out. It would be smart to make sure they sort out the infotainment issues, etc. before buying. Based on the past with Acura, they might upgrade the hardware or software on the 2020 model and leave 2019 owners in the cold with a glitchy system thats patched up. They did that with the 2014 MDX when the 2015 model came out so it's not out of the question.

Plus Acura tends to toss in a couple of features for "free" with every new model year. Who knows, they might make the A-spec an option with the Advance package since its mostly an appearance package - then you can get both.

I doubt the A-Spec will become an option package until at least the redesign. However you're definitely right about waiting until 2020 and also that they tend to add little things each year. The 1G RDX is a great example. 2008 added standard MID and memory seats as well as auto dimming mirror, 2009 added bluetooth and power passenger seat standard, 2010 was the refresh, 2011 they added something too I'm pretty sure. It pays to wait.

Sounds 01-11-2019 04:32 AM

When is the 2020 RDX due to be released?

acuraada 01-11-2019 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sounds (Post 16363269)
When is the 2020 RDX due to be released?

Well the 19 was released in June. I wouldnt be surprised if 2020 is release after sept

Sounds 01-11-2019 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by acuraada (Post 16363276)
Well the 19 was released in June. I wouldnt be surprised if 2020 is release after sept

Really? Why do you say that?

Sounds 01-11-2019 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by skarface (Post 16363264)
Seems like the bigger issue is if you should even purchase a 2019 at all or wait until the 2020 model comes out.

Originally Posted by RDX10 (Post 16363266)
...you're definitely right about waiting until 2020... It pays to wait.

The more I think about this the more I realize it's probably true. The problem (for me) is that I'm not sure if I can wait until then.

acuraada 01-11-2019 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sounds (Post 16363280)
Really? Why do you say that?

no facts, i don't work for Acura, just a guess. This is first year of a redesign and it's selling well. They may decide to keep it longer than 12 months to extend current model sales. if the sales slows down, they might "refresh" and push 2020 out early to put 2019 model behind.

JB in AZ 01-11-2019 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD (Post 16363163)
You won't regret going with the Advance.. maybe the wheels are ugly but the interior is sure nice to look at.. What color combo are you interested in?

Based on what shows in the brochure, either the White Diamond Pearl or Performance Red Pearl with the Parchment interior. Although I haven't yet paid any attention to colors in person. The one short test drive I took, I didn't care what color I was driving...just wanted to get a feel for the car. My plan is to spend more time at the dealer this weekend, both on a long test drive, and looking at colors in the "flesh". I have no question about trim level, it WILL be an Advance. I will try not to even look at wheels!

dglozic 01-12-2020 12:07 PM

TSW Nurburgring wheels

Originally Posted by iforyou (Post 16361728)
Haha, I got a set of 20" TSW Nurburgring replicas in for $1000 CAD. The vinyl material costed me $150 CAD. Tires would cost some money but I guess that's a wear and tear item. I'd imagine things in the US are a bit cheaper. Also, rims, you can sell them later and won't lose too much :)

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...7e8644ecb5.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d947072987.jpg

I know it's been a while, but since I also have a Canadian Platinum Elite, I am quite interested in your wheels. Can you post exact model you used (I presume these are 20') - width, offset, bolt pattern and finish? Where did you get them ($1000 CND seems really low for what I see on a few sites).

russianDude 01-12-2020 12:13 PM

Nope, the only thing I wish I had is HUD. But overall exterior and interior looks nicer in aspec. Advanced wheels was no go for me, and I was not going to spend more money to replace advanced wheels

dglozic 01-12-2020 12:51 PM

I presume these are the weels - they are actually TSW (duh, it says so on the wheels themselves :-).

https://www.wheelwiz.ca/wheels/rtx/e...unmetal/081309

dglozic 01-12-2020 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by dglozic (Post 16526081)
I presume these are the weels - they are actually TSW (duh, it says so on the wheels themselves :-).

https://www.wheelwiz.ca/wheels/rtx/e...unmetal/081309

I also see from the picture that the tires are Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 255/45R20, right?

russianDude 01-12-2020 01:42 PM

So with aftermarket 20” wheels and new 20” tires, you looking at around $2k. This makes advance $4k more than aspec. Is it worth it?

dglozic 01-12-2020 02:18 PM

That is really a question each individual needs to give him/herself. First off, the equation is somewhat different for Canadians who normally purchase winter wheels and tires. For them, purchasing a new wheel/tire combination is going to happen either way. Like many people on this forum, my equation would see me put 19' winter tires on the OEM wheels and get 20' wheels with performance all seasons for the other three seasons (something like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+). For Americans in warmer climates, it may be too much to ask (apparently Alex on Autos suggested that's what HE would be doing but it's your money).

Mind you, unlike other people I really don't mind the Platinum Elite OEM wheels. In fact, I am a bit apprehensive about 20' tires because even though I have adaptive dampers, the 19' Continentals (235/55R19 101H) on my car seem a very good fit between ride and handling. When I go from Comfort to Sport to Sport+, the ride changes from tight but comfortable to tight and sporty to hold on your hats tight. I fear that with 255/45R19 it well tilt too much towards 'firm all the time' and adaptive dampers will not be able to sufficiently compensate. I also fear about increased noise - the Platinum Elite interior is so quiet right now, I enjoy my lossless FLAC collection anew :butthead:.

I will ride OEMs this winter, go through the summer and then figure out what to do in the fall 2020. Right now I am just collecting information :).

As for 'is it worth it', for me the answer is YES. Adaptive dampers are not just setting an overall ride firmness, they also adjust dampers many times a second, and keep the vehicle remarkably flat in a way I didn't experience before in a vehicle. I have heard that German luxury vehicles have this wonderful combination of 'tight but supple' that is really hard to achieve. I did test drive A-Spec but to me it was noisier, the tires were thumbing loudly over road irregularities, and it was simultaneously firm and a bit wobbly (there is only so much you can do with reactive dampers that other models have). That, plus HUD, 360 degrees camera, hands-free tailgate, additional noise suppression, supple and comfortable 16-way seats were worth it.

dglozic 01-12-2020 02:20 PM

Obviously I wanted to say '255/45R20', not '255/45R19', that is not the right tire size :-).

russianDude 01-12-2020 02:36 PM

I can see that equation changes if you going to purchase 2nd set of wheel/tires regardless. But many of us here in US do not use winter tires. It also depends if you care about tire looks, some people
do and there is nothing wrong with it. So you need to evaluate for yourself.

dglozic 01-12-2020 02:53 PM

For the wheels, it is really a matter of what the goal is. Way back when I was growing up in former Yugoslavia, my family bought an ORANGE Volkswagen Beatle (a 1.3l model, made in Germany). There were very few orange Beatles on the road at the time, so it became 'our car' - really hard to miss it when you see it, and definitely distinct. In a similar way, I have not seen Advance/Platinum Elite wheels design on any other car (ok, maybe last generation Q5 but more angular), whereas the Tech/Elite wheels, while loved much more on this forum, is kind of standard/generic (albeit inoffensive). I went through the 'build your car' exercises with BMW, Volvo, Audi, even Alpha Romeo, and I have seen some wheel designs repeat over and over. For better or for worse, I have not seen Advance/Platinum Elite wheel design anywhere, so I am accepting these wheels as a matter of making my vehicle 'different' and 'unique' rather than 'beautiful in a generic way'. I also agree with others that them being medium grey rather than silver takes some attention from the wheels and towards the rest of the vehicle in a good way.

Note also that Acura designers are not completely out to lunch. The vehicle have many overlapping curves (Origami keeps being used to explain it). These curves need to be repeated in the wheels to a degree, or the combination will not look like it 'belongs'. I have seen attempts on this forum to 'fix the problem' by using third-party simulators or Photoshop and using all kinds of wheels that look great IN ISOLATION but not very good on the vehicle itself. Why? Because the vehicle materials and curves do not work with the wheels - they clash in color, finish, shape, or all of these things together. It is much harder to arrive at a good combination than it looks. And yes, Tech/Elite wheels pass this test as well because they repeat the shape of the chrome bumper details and side sills (and the actual 'A' from the Acura symbol). They are just not very special.

Honda430 01-12-2020 08:42 PM

I bought the Advance for the additional features and that gorgeous wood trim. Initially I thought the Aspec was better looking. Swapping out the wheels changed my mind in that regard. I think it’s a sharp vehicle. I never get tired of looking at it. One thing I’ve noticed is that lower body chrome accents are popping up on a number of other manufacturers new models. It appears Acura started a trend.

If you want those black glint 19” wheels you can pick them up at a $600 savings from Acura Parts Warehouse. They have the 20” wheel at $415 a wheel, but of course you’d need to buy tires.

dglozic 01-12-2020 08:58 PM

Honda430, did you get just get a different 19' wheel with your Advance or stepped up to 20'? If the latter, how do you find the ride in combination with adaptive dampers? If the former, ignore - I am guessing the ride is the same :-).

Honda430 01-14-2020 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by dglozic (Post 16526212)
Honda430, did you get just get a different 19' wheel with your Advance or stepped up to 20'? If the latter, how do you find the ride in combination with adaptive dampers? If the former, ignore - I am guessing the ride is the same :-).

When I chose the wheel size I had two considerations. I wanted a higher tread wall than the Aspec 45s and wider footprint. My concern was ride quality since a number of Aspec owners had complained about ride firmness. I also didn’t want to break the bank. With this in mind I went with a 255/50/19 using Conti DWS tires. Ride quality is stiffer than the OME tires and noise level a tad bit higher. Both are well within my tolerance levels with the benefit of better handling and sharper looks than provided by the standard Advance setup. In my opinion the Advance standard tire was chosen primarily for ride quality. Just want to add that I drive primarily in Sport or Sport+ so my impressions are derived from the firmer suspension setting.

dglozic 01-14-2020 12:23 PM

Thanks. So the original Advance is 235/55/19, which means that sidewall is 129.29mm. Your profile is 255/50/19, which is 127.5mm. Essentially the sidewall is virtually identical, but the tire is wider which should increase handling without affecting ride quality, right?

You may have answered that already, but did you just swap tires or also the wheels (accessory black glint 19')?

Honda430 01-14-2020 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by dglozic (Post 16526960)
Thanks. So the original Advance is 235/55/19, which means that sidewall is 129.29mm. Your profile is 255/50/19, which is 127.5mm. Essentially the sidewall is virtually identical, but the tire is wider which should increase handling without affecting ride quality, right?

You may have answered that already, but did you just swap tires or also the wheels (accessory black glint 19')?

If I had stuck with H rated tires that would be correct. I went with W rated tires. The sidewalls are firmer which affects ride quality with an improvement in handling. The vehicle is no way in need of W rated tires, but I’ve had Contis on my last three Acuras and decided to go with them again. I like the visual stance which is more upright. The OME tires looked a little squishy to me.

My wheels are the TLX black berlinas. All current TLX optional wheels fit the RDX. You’ll find better discounts on those wheels than the RDX optional wheels offered by Acura. Not a fan of the black glint wheel. I like the 20” wheel, but wasn’t willing to pay the price.

dglozic 01-14-2020 03:33 PM

Oh right, black diamond cut Berlinas - I remember seeing another white Advance with them on the site. That person has just used stock wheels with them, whereas you switched to 255/50/19 and ultra performance model. That's not a bad alternative - keep the sidewall for some rim protection, but get high performance tires that have stiffer sidewall that improve handling.

ceb 01-14-2020 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Honda430 (Post 16527035)
If I had stuck with H rated tires that would be correct. I went with W rated tires. The sidewalls are firmer which affects ride quality with an improvement in handling. The vehicle is no way in need of W rated tires, but I’ve had Contis on my last three Acuras and decided to go with them again. I like the visual stance which is more upright. The OME tires looked a little squishy to me.

My wheels are the TLX black berlinas. All current TLX optional wheels fit the RDX. You’ll find better discounts on those wheels than the RDX optional wheels offered by Acura. Not a fan of the black glint wheel. I like the 20” wheel, but wasn’t willing to pay the price.

Tire speed ratings (the H vs W) refer primarily to how tires deal with the increased heat of higher speeds. There are many ways of reaching the higher speed ratings and that may, or may not, result in a firmer sidewall.

If you ended up changing the rolling diameter of the tires by more than 1 % or so, then not only will your speedometer be affected, but also your odometer. That may cause you warranty woes.

russianDude 01-14-2020 04:39 PM

I like ride firmness of aspec. Not looking for soft ride, but its just me.

dglozic 01-14-2020 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by ceb (Post 16527072)
Tire speed ratings (the H vs W) refer primarily to how tires deal with the increased heat of higher speeds. There are many ways of reaching the higher speed ratings and that may, or may not, result in a firmer sidewall.

If you ended up changing the rolling diameter of the tires by more than 1 % or so, then not only will your speedometer be affected, but also your odometer. That may cause you warranty woes.

Going from 235/55/19 to 255/50/19 is a -0.47% change.

ceb 01-14-2020 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by dglozic (Post 16527113)
Going from 235/55/19 to 255/50/19 is a -0.47% change.

I wasn't really talking about your minor change. It was an advisory to others who put bigger tires on new cars and are surprised when warranty is denied and they end up with a branded title.