AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   A-Spec owners - wish you had Advance instead ? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/spec-owners-wish-you-had-advance-instead-976047/)

sportsguy 01-01-2019 08:23 AM

A-Spec owners - wish you had Advance instead ?

Any A-Spec owners wish they had Advanced instead? I really want the Apex Blue color but want teh Advanced features. I also do not like the red/silver sport gauge / speedometer.

kboo74656 01-01-2019 08:32 AM

Nope, I love my Performance Red Pearl A-Spec. Looks way better and has a little more character and attitude! I test drove an advance 3 times and preferred the A-Spec.

tecwerks 01-01-2019 08:48 AM

The only thing I wish my Pearl White A-Spec came with that the Advance has is Active Dampers and HUD. Other than that I am very happy. My A-Spec is SOLID and was a great choice for the narrow mountain roads where we live. I tool around with Sport+ continually in the on position. Gas Mileage, who cares.

97ws6 01-01-2019 09:23 AM

I don't. When I first saw the red gauges I thought they would glare but the lighting is adjustable. I'm a happy camper! Love this suv.

Sounds 01-01-2019 09:35 AM

I'm not an owner but I'm car-shopping right now. I love the way the exterior of the car looks on the A-spec but I hate the interior (red seats, red dashboard, etc). I also would want some of the features from the Advance level.

sportsguy 01-01-2019 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sounds (Post 16357803)
I'm not an owner but I'm car-shopping right now. I love the way the exterior of the car looks on the A-spec but I hate the interior (red seats, red dashboard, etc). I also would want some of the features from the Advance level.

agree 100%. I also like the interior wood trim in the Advance (felt dash seems crazy in A-spec), but problem is Iove the Apex Blue color and exterior of the A-spec. Would of bought Advanced last month if they offered in Apex Blue.

Tony Pac 01-01-2019 10:06 AM

Not an owner but honestly Acura has to bring the Adavnced features to A-Spec!

In Canada, we can get TLX Adavnced with A-Spec. I am sure we will get the same with RDX In the future.

JAB00 01-01-2019 10:41 AM

I have A Spec. Much prefer exterior looks over the Advance. I chose black leather seats. Red gage don’t bother me. Having heated rear seats would have been cool but not much else in the Advance I pine for.

DR1 01-01-2019 11:09 AM

Yep - I got the Pearl White Aspec and love it but would have purchased a black if it wasn't for those red seats. The were just a bit too loud for my personal taste.

About the advanced - The dealer told me the 360 camera wasnt that good, i dont have kids so didnt need the rear seat heaters and the single HUD indicator was nice but that 1 feature i wanted couldn't compare to the much bolder look of the ASPEC.

just my 2 cents..

Rmsanger 01-01-2019 11:31 AM

For next year’s model they need to have a spec that combines the look of the a spec with the features of the advance. For me the chrome on the advance screams Honda Civic meet 60 year old. But the A spec missing the active dampers heated rear seats and HUD is a significant gap.

PRM-RDX-3G 01-01-2019 11:41 AM

Still liking my black A-Spec. I too would like a HUD and oddly the hands-free tailgate feature as our hands are full a lot in a family of 5

cheffip 01-01-2019 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Rmsanger (Post 16357834)
For next year’s model they need to have a spec that combines the look of the a spec with the features of the advance. For me the chrome on the advance screams Honda Civic meet 60 year old. But the A spec missing the active dampers heated rear seats and HUD is a significant gap.

The heated rear seats and HUD are in the $8k cheaper CX-5 so should definitely be in the ASpec. I know that’s another thread active here at the moment but just sayin’. All that chrome puts me off too.

Sounds 01-01-2019 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by DR1 (Post 16357829)
The dealer told me the 360 camera wasnt that good...

Really ?

DR1 01-01-2019 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Rmsanger (Post 16357834)

YEP!

Camera - The dealer camera comment was on of the 1st things he said and even unprompted so i was like "noted"
Active Dampners - This was the one item i really missed on the ASPEC and kept me looking at the advance. Since purchasing i have read posts that others cant feel it unless they are in real poor road conditions.

For me the final deciding factor was sitting in several ASPECS and getting into the sporty exterior / interior and then trading that for less appealing wheels, chrome and wood grained interior.
It just wasnt me..

Leaf 68 01-01-2019 01:05 PM

No. Love my Black A-Spec after 6 months of ownership now...

kboo74656 01-01-2019 01:20 PM

The parking sensors make up for the lack of around view cameras on my A-Spec. I had the around view on my 2017.5 Murano but rarely used them and they were only viewable at 10mph or under. I do plan on adding the Heated Steering, Running Boards, and Illuminated Door Kick Plates.

drs2rt 01-01-2019 01:51 PM

No, just love the Apex Blue color with the dark wheels.

zo0mie 01-01-2019 02:12 PM

Love the A-spec. Particularly, the polarizing red seats, sport pedals, red gauges look awesome at night, black headliner, shark colored 20" rims on our modern steel, blacked out exterior. Only dislike is no digital MPH & no spare. But spare issue solved with installed spare hoist.

The real question should be, does any Advance owner wish they had gotten the sportier looking A-spec?

mikejohnson724 01-01-2019 02:14 PM

Who would want the Advance over the aspec? Average age of that person has to be 65?

Sounds 01-01-2019 02:17 PM

The real question is, why don't they allow you to get an A-spec with the features of the Advance?

MI-RDX 01-01-2019 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by mikejohnson724 (Post 16357887)
Who would want the Advance over the aspec?...

Anyone who thinks the a-spec is ugly - has nothing to do with age.

RDX10 01-01-2019 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Sounds (Post 16357889)
The real question is, why don't they allow you to get an A-spec with the features of the Advance?

The correct question actually. A-Spec is nothing but a soft aesthetic modification so why would they make it an individual trim and not an add on package like EVERY OTHER AUTOMAKER DOES with their sport appearance packages.

MarineOne 01-01-2019 08:04 PM

I do not care for the A-Spec, nothing more than an appearance package. Love my Advance!

Honda430 01-01-2019 09:10 PM

I’m in that minority that thinks the Advance in the lighter colors is more attractive than the A-spec. A visit this weekend to my local dealer that now has almost all colors and trims reinforced my belief.

What pisses me off the more I think about it was Acura’s decision to put those god forsaken ugly wheels on the Advance while making wheel upgrades a full price proposition. Other manufacturers in a sense give you credit for the standard wheels by keeping the price of upgrades for larger wheels and tires in the $1,000 to $1,500 territory. As we know Acura wants $3,300 for the 20” rims/tires and $2,000 for just the 19” accessory wheel. To add insult to injury the Advance wheels are a complete stylistic departure from all the other higher trim wheels offered on their models. And then, just to step on us further every review I’ve read or seen of the Advance model has the vehicle wearing the accessory wheels. I’m like if you don’t feel that the Advance wheels are automotive press acceptable why in the world did you choose to put them on the vehicle.

To wrap this up, I have no regrets buying the Advance over the A-spec, but I really despise that I had to spend another $2,500 to put presentable tires and wheels on it. By the way the wood trim had me from first sight.

RDX10 01-01-2019 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Honda430 (Post 16357999)
I’m in that minority that thinks the Advance in the lighter colors is more attractive than the A-spec. A visit this weekend to my local dealer that now has almost all colors and trims reinforced my belief.

What pisses me off the more I think about it was Acura’s decision to put those god forsaken ugly wheels on the Advance while making wheel upgrades a full price proposition. Other manufacturers in a sense give you credit for the standard wheels by keeping the price of upgrades for larger wheels and tires in the $1,000 to $1,500 territory. As we know Acura wants $3,300 for the 20” rims/tires and $2,000 for just the 19” accessory wheel. To add insult to injury the Advance wheels are a complete stylistic departure from all the other higher trim wheels offered on their models. And then, just to step on us further every review I’ve read or seen of the Advance model has the vehicle wearing the accessory wheels. I’m like if you don’t feel that the Advance wheels are automotive press acceptable why in the world did you choose to put them on the vehicle.

To wrap this up, I have no regrets buying the Advance over the A-spec, but I really despise that I had to spend another $2,500 to put presentable tires and wheels on it. By the way the wood trim had me from first sight.

Those Advance flower wheels are the ugliest wheels I have seen on a modern car. What in the hell was Acura thinking?

jesser916 01-02-2019 02:06 AM

Love my A-Spec and my red interior.

RDX10 01-02-2019 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by jesser916 (Post 16358062)
Love my A-Spec and my red interior.

Thank you! I am obsessed with that red interior. But it really doesn't seem to be getting much love on here. I understand it is a little bold but it's a gorgeous shade of red.

zo0mie 01-02-2019 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sounds (Post 16357889)

Totally rhetorical. Maybe with the 2020 model year. Deal with what's available.
If I had gotten the Advance and seen an A-spec on the road, it would have been a regret for sure.

Stew4HD 01-02-2019 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by RDX10 (Post 16358029)
Those Advance flower wheels are the ugliest wheels I have seen on a modern car. What in the hell was Acura thinking?

I think the advance wheels look just fine. I am happy with the look

Rmsanger 01-02-2019 08:44 AM

I agree the aspec blue with red interior red gauges and grey wheels are a highly attractive combination. However missing a HUD, rear heated seats, active dampers, power tailgate, and a 360 camera is inexcusable.

I could go buy a POS 2016 Nissan has Rogue for $15k with a decent 360 camera while the $50k RDX Aspec is missing it.

Sounds 01-02-2019 09:07 AM

Are the wheels on the A-spec actually Black, or are they more of a dark (gunmetal?) color?

Sounds 01-02-2019 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Rmsanger (Post 16358116)
...missing a HUD, rear heated seats, active dampers, power tailgate, and a 360 camera is inexcusable.

I could go buy a POS 2016 Nissan has Rogue for $15k with a decent 360 camera while the $50k RDX Aspec is missing it.

I was reading about the 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe yesterday. Apparently it's chock full of advanced features. I'm not trying to compare the two vehicles overall, just saying that even the Santa Fe has more features than the RDX A-Spec.

GhostTL09 01-02-2019 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Rmsanger (Post 16358116)
I agree the aspec blue with red interior red gauges and grey wheels are a highly attractive combination. However missing a HUD, rear heated seats, active dampers, power tailgate, and a 360 camera is inexcusable.

Many vehicles like the Rogue that is ugly, uncomfortable and a basic crossover offer some goodies to get you to overlook the cost of making the car with cloth seats, ugly infotainment systems with 5in screens, half power half manual seat adjusters etc, but oh we have heated rear seats and a camera lol

No thank you

cheffip 01-02-2019 09:39 AM

In Canada, the Advance is subdivided into two models, Elite and Platinum Elite. The Elite wheels are nice, like an upscale Tech wheel design. The ugly flower wheels are reserved for the top model. Go figure.

cheffip 01-02-2019 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Sounds (Post 16358128)
Are the wheels on the A-spec actually Black, or are they more of a dark (gunmetal?) color?

Dark gray. Definitely not black.

cheffip 01-02-2019 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Leaf 68 (Post 16357864)
No. Love my Black A-Spec after 6 months of ownership now...

Black could be my first choice too. Just wondered about the black trim on black paint when I saw it. Sort of a Batmobile. Is it the simplicity you like?
Frankly, I think all trims could have lived without the swoosh, black or chrome. I don’t think it makes the car look more upscale in any way.

Ellydogns 01-02-2019 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by cheffip (Post 16358147)

Black could be my first choice too. Just wondered about the black trim on black paint when I saw it. Sort of a Batmobile. Is it the simplicity you like?
Frankly, I think all trims could have lived without the swoosh, black or chrome. I don’t think it makes the car look more upscale in any way.

Simplicity. Black exterior, black interior (no red). And now all the windows are tinted, it just looks plain angry. =)

oblio98 01-02-2019 03:12 PM

Not me. Love my A-Spec. Black trim, nicer wheels, $2K less, no brainer for me.

IF................there was an A-SPEC version of the Advance, I might have gone for it, make that probably would have gone for it, but from what I'm reading, the Canadian version with the folding mirrors is the one we should have gotten here in the USA!

BLEXV6 01-02-2019 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by oblio98 (Post 16358366)
Not me. Love my A-Spec. Black trim, nicer wheels, $2K less, no brainer for me.

IF................there was an A-SPEC version of the Advance, I might have gone for it, make that probably would have gone for it, but from what I'm reading, the Canadian version with the folding mirrors is the one we should have gotten here in the USA!

I am with you, if the A-SPEC came with advanced options, I would get it in a second. I know this is foolish, but I want the hands free option for the tailgate. I do not like the A-SPECS suede seat inserts and dash insert. Like the blacked out chrome and wheels.

Marino Moutafis 01-02-2019 06:06 PM

360 camera is great. Add to the fact that the rear camera has it's own washer! Clears it for the winter and dirty road.

Marino Moutafis 01-02-2019 06:08 PM

I agree, I really do not like my Advanced wheels. My only real dislike. But, since I drive it, more than look at it, I am just moving on.

RDX10 01-02-2019 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stew4HD (Post 16358092)
I think the advance wheels look just fine. I am happy with the look

And that's totally ok! Different tastes for everyone :smile:

Originally Posted by Sounds (Post 16358128)

No they are a gunmetal gray, but a darker gunmetal color. It's a very nice color IMO.

Originally Posted by cheffip (Post 16358139)
In Canada, the Advance is subdivided into two models, Elite and Platinum Elite. The Elite wheels are nice, like an upscale Tech wheel design. The ugly flower wheels are reserved for the top model. Go figure.

Lol I'm Canadian I know about the silly trim division haha. And I agree the Elite has way nicer wheels than the Elite-platinum.....funny considering the EP is a whole 5k more.

flames9 01-02-2019 07:35 PM

When I first started to look at the RDX....I was drawn to the A-Spe.....primarily that pretty blue...then I saw the "suede" on the dash and the seats and that in my opinion will just collect dirt/dust..whatever ur eating and falling down into the seat! A lot of other manufacturers do that same "suede" in their sportier trims.....No TY, thats a deal breaker for me. After test driving vehicles with the heads up display..its a must have for me.....my wife hated that feature..found it very annoying

Medjai 01-03-2019 12:18 PM

A-Spec Happy Camper... :thumbsup:

OK-RDX 01-04-2019 07:26 AM

A-spec in Performance Red Pearl and couldn't be happier! :butthead:

Tanzeeb 01-07-2019 02:56 PM

Completely torn

I'm completely torn, the smaller wheels and chrome on the other models is a complete non-starter / deal reaker for me. On the other hand, I really wish I had adaptive suspension, hud, 360 cam, 16 way seats, heated rear seats...

If Acura releases an advanced a-spec in the upcoming years, I'd consider trading for that. OTOH I've been hearing rumors about RDX type-S and a serious MDX makeover...

Sounds 01-07-2019 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tanzeeb (Post 16360771)
I'm completely torn, the smaller wheels and chrome on the other models is a complete non-starter / deal reaker for me. On the other hand, I really wish I had adaptive suspension, hud, 360 cam, 16 way seats, heated rear seats...

Yesterday I was standing in the parking lot of an Acura dealer looking at two white RDXs, side by side. One was an A-spec, the other was Advance. If I buy an RDX I absolutely want the features in the Advance. I got upset because the white A-spec looked really good but the white Advance looked kinda "blah." I was surprised at how much better the A-spec looked and disappointed that it can't have the features I want. Truth is I was so bummed that it turned me off a bit to the whole Acura / RDX experience.

Tanzeeb 01-07-2019 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Sounds (Post 16360834)
Truth is I was so bummed that it turned me off a bit to the whole Acura / RDX experience.

Same, but then I tried spec'ing out a Volvo and BMW and realized the all-in-one Acura process isn't that bad. My A-Spec in Apex Blue Pearl looks better than any X3 or XC60 :-)

JB in AZ 01-07-2019 04:22 PM

Yesterday I was standing in the parking lot of an Acura dealer looking at two white RDXs, side by side. One was an A-spec, the other was Advance. If I buy an RDX I absolutely want the features in the Advance. I got upset because the white A-spec looked really good but the white Advance looked kinda "blah." I was surprised at how much better the A-spec looked and disappointed that it can't have the features I want. Truth is I was so bummed that it turned me off a bit to the whole Acura / RDX experience.

To me looks are not as important as features/capability.. I should know, I'm certainly not a movie star!

RDX10 01-07-2019 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tanzeeb (Post 16360771)

If Acura releases an advanced a-spec in the upcoming years, I'd consider trading for that. OTOH I've been hearing rumors about RDX type-S and a serious MDX makeover...

I completely understand where you guys are coming from and I fully agree. The regular model is just not nearly as attractive as the A-Spec IMO. But it really isn't a huge issue. @iforyou has an RDX Platinum-Elite (Canadian Advance) that he's slowly converted to look 90% like an A-Spec. It's as simple as getting the grille and chrome trim wrapped in black gloss vinyl wrap and switching out the wheels and using the nasty OEM ones as winter tires.

MI-RDX 01-07-2019 05:37 PM

Yesterday I was standing in the parking lot of an Acura dealer looking at two white RDXs, side by side. One was an A-spec, the other was Advance....I was surprised at how much better the A-spec looked...

Different strokes for different folks. I see it just the opposite - probably the reason Acura makes both. :thumbsup:

Sounds 01-07-2019 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by RDX10 (Post 16360938)
It's as simple as getting the grille and chrome trim wrapped in black gloss vinyl wrap and switching out the wheels and using the nasty OEM ones as winter tires.

Thanks, I appreciate the help... but I'd already be spending more than I'd like to on the RDX so I'd rather not have to pay an extra $2,000 for wheels plus whatever the other stuff costs (and I don't need snow tires here in FL). Thanks, though.

RDX10 01-07-2019 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Sounds (Post 16361001)
Thanks, I appreciate the help... but I'd already be spending more than I'd like to on the RDX so I'd rather not have to pay an extra $2,000 for wheels plus whatever the other stuff costs (and I don't need snow tires here in FL). Thanks, though.

Yeah no I fully understand and agree. The A-spec is nothing but a looks upgrade. Which dumbass in Acura HQ thought making it a separate trim was smart?

You know what especially burns? The fact that the TLX can be purchased as an Elite(advanced)-A-Spec model here in Canada. An all in one package. Us Canadians were fully expecting the RDX to follow suit. Unfortunately it did no such thing and we're left with a convoluted trim level structure.

Granted, our A-spec is fairly well equipped with things like ventilated seats, heated steering wheel, power folding mirrors, and 16 speaker ELS.....but it's missing the CORE things you'd want in a sport model. I.e adaptive suspension, HUD, and the 16 way seats. It's really not a smart packaging theme.

Sounds 01-07-2019 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by RDX10 (Post 16361038)
It's really not a smart packaging theme.

I completely agree. Believe me. :)

iforyou 01-08-2019 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Sounds (Post 16361001)

Haha, I got a set of 20" TSW Nurburgring replicas in for $1000 CAD. The vinyl material costed me $150 CAD. Tires would cost some money but I guess that's a wear and tear item. I'd imagine things in the US are a bit cheaper. Also, rims, you can sell them later and won't lose too much :)

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...7e8644ecb5.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...d947072987.jpg