Spare tire and jack

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 10:21 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare tire and jack

Hi everyone, was just wondering, does the 2019 RDX come with a spare tire and jack already or do I have to buy those separately? Looking to purchase the Advance model if it matters. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2018, 10:33 AM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
In The US, the Base, Tech, and Advance SH-AWD models come with a spare tire and jack.
A-Spec and all FWD models do not.

I think in Canada, all models come with a spare.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:35 PM
7th Gear

Great, thanks so much!
Old 07-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by catbert430
In The US, the Base, Tech, and Advance SH-AWD models come with a spare tire and jack.
A-Spec and all FWD models do not.

I think in Canada, all models come with a spare.
U.S. info is correct. IF you have a non A-Spec fwd model, the "Spare Tire Kit" is on the Accessories list. But, I wanted the kit for my A-Spec. Anything, normally, can be done IF you want it and push for it. I told my guys...GM on down,
that I wanted a kit for my A-Spec. The GM told the New Car Mgr...both are friends after almost 6 yrs of dealings....and my assigned Sales person...to get it done...make it happen. And they did.
I have a complete spare tire kit in place just as if it came from the factory. Total including install...$550.

What's really funny and sad...when it was being installed...there happened to be 2 Acura Reps in the shop watching them install my kit. They were overheard talking....and they were asking..."why does that AWD RDX NOT have
a "spare tire kit" from the factory?? LOL! The sad part is...IF they were up on their new RDX...they should have known the A-Spec version didn't get the "kit."

I've been in touch with Acura Customer Care...and found out they have been getting LOTS of calls about the A-Spec and no "kit." They in turn have asked the engineers for an answer, but,
nothing back yet. If ever!! LOL!!

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 07-18-2018 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:35 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Any idea what they had to do differently than the "standard" accessory "spare tire kit"?

I don't think there's any difference under there except the outrageously big pair of exhaust tips. Double D's I think.

I take it back. Different rear end ( bumper fascia).
Old 07-18-2018, 10:54 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Originally Posted by Wander
Any idea what they had to do differently than the "standard" accessory "spare tire kit"?

I don't think there's any difference under there except the outrageously big pair of exhaust tips. Double D's I think.

I take it back. Different rear end ( bumper fascia).
This was watched closely, since it was the first one done so far...on an A-Spec. No issues. Other than them having to figure out that the first order didn't include a couple items, so did a second order. But, it all goes together just like the factory installed ones. The underneath where the "doughnut tire goes" is the same as all the RDX's. There is "the spot" where it is held in place by a cable connected to a crank and spool. The only thing holding that tire and wheel in place is that stranded wire cable. Hope it holds up...no pun there! You go through a removable cover under the cargo compt. floor and inside the storage box. Using the supplied tool, you insert down in to the crank/spool device and lower the tire down. Actually I haven't check on will that system hold the heavier tire/wheel that is flat, sufficiently? I have to think it will, but, I would put it in the cargo area for transportation. That's just me. Not sure I trust that stranded cable. LOL!!
Old 07-18-2018, 11:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
This was watched closely, since it was the first one done so far...on an A-Spec. No issues. Other than them having to figure out that the first order didn't include a couple items, so did a second order. But, it all goes together just like the factory installed ones. The underneath where the "doughnut tire goes" is the same as all the RDX's. There is "the spot" where it is held in place by a cable connected to a crank and spool. The only thing holding that tire and wheel in place is that stranded wire cable. Hope it holds up...no pun there! You go through a removable cover under the cargo compt. floor and inside the storage box. Using the supplied tool, you insert down in to the crank/spool device and lower the tire down. Actually I haven't check on will that system hold the heavier tire/wheel that is flat, sufficiently? I have to think it will, but, I would put it in the cargo area for transportation. That's just me. Not sure I trust that stranded cable. LOL!!
This is covered in another thread, but a full-size wheel CAN NOT be suspended in place of the compact spare. The fitting on the end of that stranded steel cable is even designed to prevent us from trying. Not sure why, but I speculate that there isn't enough clearance to the mufflers. ( Full size tire is about 2" larger diameter than the compact spare ). Another possibility is that the cable and spool are "light duty", but they don't look very different from other ones I have seen.

If you do a search of the electronic Owner's Manual, you will find a discussion of this. They even include a plastic bag to put your messy flat full-size wheel/tire into when you try to stuff it into the cargo area along with whatever else happens to be in there. And a strap to keep it from becoming a projectile in a crash.

We have owned 1st-gen MDXs for up to 15 years, with their compact spares dangling on stranded steel cables, exposed to the worst road salt northern roads can muster. I drop the spare to do rear diff service every once in a while, and if I'm feeling perky I'll wipe and lube the cable to help keep it from corroding and seizing in the spool, but I've never had a problem. Those MDX hoists CAN suspend a full-size wheel and tire, and I did that when I was trailering or traveling "into the wilds" with those vehicles.

I wouldn't worry about the cable "keeping it up" though, LOL. The bigger risk is someone will attack it to steal the spare.

Last edited by Wander; 07-18-2018 at 11:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 06:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
Hopefully the spare will be a standard addition or at least a factory option in the future. It makes no sense to put it on some models, but not others. Instead we have to explain to the dealer what is/is not or what should be already included.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:33 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
This is covered in another thread, but a full-size wheel CAN NOT be suspended in place of the compact spare. The fitting on the end of that stranded steel cable is even designed to prevent us from trying. Not sure why, but I speculate that there isn't enough clearance to the mufflers. ( Full size tire is about 2" larger diameter than the compact spare ). Another possibility is that the cable and spool are "light duty", but they don't look very different from other ones I have seen.

If you do a search of the electronic Owner's Manual, you will find a discussion of this. They even include a plastic bag to put your messy flat full-size wheel/tire into when you try to stuff it into the cargo area along with whatever else happens to be in there. And a strap to keep it from becoming a projectile in a crash.

We have owned 1st-gen MDXs for up to 15 years, with their compact spares dangling on stranded steel cables, exposed to the worst road salt northern roads can muster. I drop the spare to do rear diff service every once in a while, and if I'm feeling perky I'll wipe and lube the cable to help keep it from corroding and seizing in the spool, but I've never had a problem. Those MDX hoists CAN suspend a full-size wheel and tire, and I did that when I was trailering or traveling "into the wilds" with those vehicles.

I wouldn't worry about the cable "keeping it up" though, LOL. The bigger risk is someone will attack it to steal the spare.
I was under the belief that spare tires have to be the same rolling diameter in an awd car. Are they really 2" less in diameter?
Old 07-19-2018, 09:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Compact Spare T155/90D17101M
Old 07-19-2018, 10:18 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
I guess I will look into getting a spare just in case. I will need to locate the parts numbers to get the parts needed. Anyone have all the part numbers needed?
Old 07-19-2018, 10:47 AM
Burning Brakes

just see post #4 above....Acura has everything since they put it in other models of the same car. I am planning on making it part of my deal when I purchase my RDX.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Just curious if you have "tried it out"....ie...confirmed that everything works as designed. I just find it very strange that they decided that some models would get a spare and others an inflation kit and not offer the spare kit since the parts are readily available and a simple install. It is like putting running boards or roof rails on some cars (OK....I get that upper trims may get this standard), but then not offer it as an option for the other models....makes no sense (only Acura sense).
Old 07-19-2018, 11:41 AM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisBesu
I was under the belief that spare tires have to be the same rolling diameter in an awd car. Are they really 2" less in diameter?
Stock tire diameter is 29.2". Spare tire diameter is 28.0". 1.2" is the difference.
The width is 6.1" for the spare.
235/55/19 tires are 9.3" wide. 255/45/20 tires are 10.0" wide.

Trying to hang the flat tire on the cable (if possible) would also reduce ground clearance.
Old 07-19-2018, 01:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by quantum7
Just curious if you have "tried it out"....ie...confirmed that everything works as designed. I just find it very strange that they decided that some models would get a spare and others an inflation kit and not offer the spare kit since the parts are readily available and a simple install. It is like putting running boards or roof rails on some cars (OK....I get that upper trims may get this standard), but then not offer it as an option for the other models....makes no sense (only Acura sense).
Many of their decisions makes no sense to me. Still miffed over the Canadian vs. US models
Old 07-19-2018, 02:08 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Originally Posted by quantum7
Yep, I cranked it down and up. Goes down and up pretty quick. There is a "spring" on the end of the cable where a "tab" goes through the wheel....so to help relax tension on the cable. But, you can crank it up pretty tight.
I'm thinking....not too tight....but, allow some very slight spacing so that spring can work. IF you crank it super tight the spring will get pretty crushed. That's what it looks like.
The following users liked this post:
quantum7 (07-19-2018)
Old 07-19-2018, 02:12 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Stock tire diameter is 29.2". Spare tire diameter is 28.0". 1.2" is the difference.

Trying to hang the flat tire on the cable (if possible) would also reduce ground clearance.
Doughnut tires...to my knowledge....are never the exact same diam. as the OEM tires. But, the idea is to "still operate" well enough to get you to a place where you can take care of the tire issue. Look at all the folks that keep
driving on their doughnut....far too long.....but, anyway......the vehicle is "tipped" down on that location since it does have a lessor diameter.

Old 07-19-2018, 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Yep, I cranked it down and up. Goes down and up pretty quick. There is a "spring" on the end of the cable where a "tab" goes through the wheel....so to help relax tension on the cable. But, you can crank it up pretty tight.
I'm thinking....not too tight....but, allow some very slight spacing so that spring can work. IF you crank it super tight the spring will get pretty crushed. That's what it looks like.
thanks....great to hear that it can be done. I contacted Acura and the chat guy basically said it was not an option (no kidding), but to speak to the service manager to see if they could do it. Good to know that it can be done and that it works. Much prefer a spare to some repair kit.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:30 PM
Drifting

FWIW it's the same story with 3rd-gen MDX ( 2014+ ). FWD and sport-hybrid do not come equipped with a compact spare. SH-AWD models do. But there's no problem hanging a full-size wheel/tire under any MDX if you have the hoist installed.

I don't know why Acura doesn't want us to dangle a full-size wheel/tire under RDX, but they go to an awful lot of trouble to make sure we won't. I'm an experimentalist and a bit of a rebel, so I tried to shove that darn fitting into a full size aluminum wheel. It really won't go!

BTW, I was thinking of the larger MDX tires when I cited 2" diameter difference relative to compact spare. Good catch.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:31 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a full size spare on my 05 MDX. Replaced the compact spare.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info. Im coming from an x5 and have read in the forums that the xdrive(BMW 4x4) system had to have the same rolling diameter within a given low variable or the drive train would be damaged.
Old 07-20-2018, 01:07 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Boltface
I have a full size spare on my 05 MDX. Replaced the compact spare.
Lots more space under there than RDX. I know. Also lots more space in there than RDX, and my dogs like that space.

My dogs DON'T like how RDX corners.
Old 05-24-2019, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Do we need to lower the spare tire to check the tire pressure?
Old 12-03-2019, 09:29 AM
Racer

Received 153 Likes on 97 Posts
OK, I have done the “I can do this cheaper myself” route and am stuckL. What tool is set up t fit the square head of the hoist to raise and lower the tire. I know..stupid me....but is it the jack raising handle or the lug wrench or something else? Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:57 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
When looking for an RDX, I first looked at the A-Spec. I was told that I couldn’t add a spare tire due to the tire size on the A-Spec. I don’t know if this is true, bu may be because of the reason listed in post #21. Of course the tire will fit under the car, but maybe Acura doesn’t want the size difference. It would explain why the A-Spec is the only trim level that isn’t offered with a spare.

Not having a spare or the ability to add one was a deal breaker for me. I liked everything about the A-Spec except for this and I also hated the suede trim.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jfkmk
When looking for an RDX, I first looked at the A-Spec. I was told that I couldn’t add a spare tire due to the tire size on the A-Spec. I don’t know if this is true, bu may be because of the reason listed in post #21. Of course the tire will fit under the car, but maybe Acura doesn’t want the size difference. It would explain why the A-Spec is the only trim level that isn’t offered with a spare.

Not having a spare or the ability to add one was a deal breaker for me. I liked everything about the A-Spec except for this and I also hated the suede trim.
The effective "rolling" diameter of the A-spec tire is no different than for other trims, it just has a shorter sidewall.

You were fed BS.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a 2020 RDX ASpec with an installed spare tire kit from Acura, installed by the dealer. Why the ASpec doesn’t come with it - I have no idea, but it’s super lame. Call a different dealer.
Old 12-30-2019, 11:58 AM
5th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AdoptDon’tShop
I have a 2020 RDX ASpec with an installed spare tire kit from Acura, installed by the dealer. Why the ASpec doesn’t come with it - I have no idea, but it’s super lame. Call a different dealer.
Looking to add this to my RDX. Part numbers?

i think its crazy not to have a spare, esp with these tires.
j
Old 12-30-2019, 01:02 PM
Racer

Many new cars have done away with the spare tire, substituting a foam sealant and inflation pump. I went on eBay and found the parts, but I am not sure it was any cheaper for me than going to the dealer to have it installed. The jack handle for the kit eBay lists for our car comes with a generic lug wrench....this will not work with the “hoist” mechanism our car uses, so I found an Acura dealer in NC who shipped one to me...the key is having a “female” square end on the wrench that fits into the “male” side of the hoist cable mechanism. When you get the kit from the dealer it replaces our stock “tool box” with one that holds the jack and handle where the pump used to go. I now keep the OEM pump and sealant in the compartment under the floor as a backup.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:37 PM
5th Gear

Thanks Padre! Everything is ordered, but on back order.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:53 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by A-spec77
Thanks Padre! Everything is ordered, but on back order.
Can you list out what you purchased?
Old 12-30-2019, 06:22 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Farcus
Can you list out what you purchased?
I didn't get a breakdown of each item. " I've got some prices for you regarding the spare tire. There is a kit that it comes with; a foam piece to hold the tire and equipment which includes a jack, with a lug wrench as well as the tire itself. The spare tire itself is $107.12 and the kit is $353.28. Unfortunately, the kit is on back order and is unavailable at this time"

Old 12-30-2019, 08:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by A-spec77
I didn't get a breakdown of each item. " I've got some prices for you regarding the spare tire. There is a kit that it comes with; a foam piece to hold the tire and equipment which includes a jack, with a lug wrench as well as the tire itself. The spare tire itself is $107.12 and the kit is $353.28. Unfortunately, the kit is on back order and is unavailable at this time"
Me too. I did a search for “Spare Tire kit for 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec. We all know that the mind controllers over at the Internet Headquarters routinely slip in links to distract us from our original impulse, usually to look at weird porn (or so I have heard...). Not every item was indeed for the RDX A-Spec. As I indicated above the vehicle specific sold on eBay is not vehicle specific, but most of the kit worked...OK, the tire and the jack. I then continued to search and try to make out the non-expandable illustrations of the needed components to make a “kit”. I found an Acura dealership in NC that has a large internet presence, I was able to make out that there was a “hoist and a “toolbox replacement”. After making my order I thought I was ready to go. My tech thought so too, till he got to the part of elevating the spare up close to the underbelly of our car. He called me back and showed me the problem: the jack handle.

All totaled my kit and labor came out to around $450 plus a lot of needless aggravation.

Last edited by Padre Dave; 12-30-2019 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-02-2020, 02:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Padre Dave
Me too. I did a search for “Spare Tire kit for 2019 Acura RDX A-Spec. We all know that the mind controllers over at the Internet Headquarters routinely slip in links to distract us from our original impulse, usually to look at weird porn (or so I have heard...). Not every item was indeed for the RDX A-Spec. As I indicated above the vehicle specific sold on eBay is not vehicle specific, but most of the kit worked...OK, the tire and the jack. I then continued to search and try to make out the non-expandable illustrations of the needed components to make a “kit”. I found an Acura dealership in NC that has a large internet presence, I was able to make out that there was a “hoist and a “toolbox replacement”. After making my order I thought I was ready to go. My tech thought so too, till he got to the part of elevating the spare up close to the underbelly of our car. He called me back and showed me the problem: the jack handle.

All totaled my kit and labor came out to around $450 plus a lot of needless aggravation.
Which dealership in NC? (I am in NC and looking if i want to add a spare to my AWD - A-Spec)
Old 01-03-2020, 10:09 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
These guys have all the parts ...

I bought the tire at Walmart for like $75 and had them mount it.

Took about 20 minutes to install in my '19 Aspec. Hardest part was getting the cargo tiedown bracket screws loose. I suggest spraying them with penetrating oil first let them sit a bit. I had to use my impact driver to loosen them. They are easy to strip so be careful.

https://www.acurapartswarehouse.com/...wheel_kit.html
Old 01-03-2020, 11:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by IM542
Hardest part was getting the cargo tie down bracket screws loose. I suggest spraying them with penetrating oil first let them sit a bit. I had to use my impact driver to loosen them. They are easy to strip so be careful.
#3 Phillips bit for those darn tie downs ( squared off tip ), not the common #2 Phillips. Or else.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
just ordered my spare tire kit from curracura and spare tire from tire rack ($100). total is under $350.
Old 01-04-2020, 03:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Was looking through installation instructions, did not make sense to me why they are removing plastic cargo bin?
Old 01-04-2020, 05:49 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russianDude
Was looking through installation instructions, did not make sense to me why they are removing plastic cargo bin?
I think it's to replace the "tool bin" ( rigid foam with cutouts ) with one that accommodates the jack and lug wrench. It looks like the hoist mounts from below.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Installed spare tire. Could not remove one of the 4 metal anchors screws. 3 were tighten to the impossible torque, its crazy, my professional drill bit was too strong for a soft metal cheap screw. And the last one striped.. those screws are made of very soft metal, and were over-torqued beyond anything. Not sure why, they are meant to hold a net, maybe got rusted... So I ended up keeping my old tool box, just threw away the lid, wrapped extra tools into some fabric to avoid sounds, and place them on top. Its crazy design, to replace tool box you need open this thing, well whatever, its not like was ever gonna use tinny 10"x10"x2(?) space above toolbox lid.

Quick Reply: Spare tire and jack