Someone teach me how to use LKAS

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 08:22 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Someone teach me how to use LKAS

I'm too lazy to read the manual. I know that Acura's LKAS is not intended to be autonomous driving, so that's not my expectation. I have had the LKAS/ACC system off since purchasing the car (2 years), but I decided to try it out in case I need to do a long road trip. So I hit "main" to activate it and then hit "LKAS" to show the dotted lines that indicate it is activated. But then when I drive and veer out of my lane, the car does nothing. Sometimes it does absolutely nothing, as if I had no LKAS. Other times it just flashes "driver steering required" but I still veer out of the lane. But in no instance that I can tell does it steer me back to center. I was going the proper speed (over 45 mph) and the lane markings were clear. Am I doing it wrong, or is that how it's supposed to work?
Old 12-10-2020, 08:32 AM
Banned

BTW, my next question will be how do I check to make sure ACC works and isn't broken without crashing into a car? Like when I test LKAS, if it fails I just look like I'm drunk but I'll still live. If I try out ACC and it's not working or I do it wrong, I probably end up dead.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 192 Posts
They wrote a manual for a reason.

https://owners.acura.com/vehicle-inf...2020&model=RDX
The following 2 users liked this post by Dereileak:
flames9 (12-10-2020), Leaf 68 (12-11-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 09:48 AM
Banned

I made this thread for a reason, too.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:03 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne
You even stated in the OP that you are too lazy to read the manual, indicting you would like someone's help here....

Wish I could help, I have used ACC and LKAS since the first day, and it works as I expect it to, but without going out and driving it today, I can't help you with the specifics...sorry.

I am happy with the way it gently assists, or shakes the wheel when I wander. Drove my daughter's car that doesn't have it and I was (somewhat) surprised how much I missed those features.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 12-10-2020 at 10:05 AM.
The following users liked this post:
kevins (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 10:11 AM
Banned

That's OK. I'm going to perform a few more test runs with it. If it doesn't work, I won't miss it because I wasn't using it previously.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:13 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
I turned mine off, it does not like how I drive. It tries to correct what I consider normal. I might enable it on a long highway drive, but not for city driving...
StealthTL-S (01-04-2021)
Old 12-10-2020, 11:56 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
As for the LKAS, it may not work all the time. It uses cameras to optically sense the lane or edge of the road. If either is poorly defined, it may not respond. (Especially in the rain. )

If you're on a smooth asphalt road with well painted lines and it doesn't work, there's something wrong. If you veer toward the edge of the lane, the wheel should shudder to alert you. There's also a display warning. If your hands are off the wheel or you don't correct, it will nudge the car back toward the center of the lane.

To test it, find a relatively empty stretch of smooth road that's well paved and painted. If you're too lazy to RTFM, then experiment. If you're too lazy to make the effort either way, then don't use the feature and drive the car yourself like you're supposed to anyway.
kboo74656 (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 01:13 PM
Banned

I think mine may just be not functioning because I'm pretty sure it met all the necessary conditions. I'm going to run a few more tests at different places. I'm not sure what I'll do if it's not functioning, since I live quite a long way from any dealer. I may just ignore it.
Old 12-10-2020, 01:58 PM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
Turn LKAS AND RDM OFF AND LEAVE ACC OFF!
StealthTL-S (01-04-2021)
Old 12-10-2020, 03:20 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
I turned mine off, it does not like how I drive. It tries to correct what I consider normal. I might enable it on a long highway drive, but not for city driving...
it’s really only intended for freeway driving. Page 471 of manual “The LKAS is convenient when it is used on freeways.” Page 472 “The LKAS may not function as designed while driving in frequent stop and go traffic, or on roads with sharp curves.”
markm929 (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 04:00 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Does it only work with cruise control? Honestly, I've never used it without ACC. I turn the system on, set ACC to on, then hit the little steering wheel with lane buttons on the steering wheel and it does its thing. Its gotten better without ping-ponging all over the place, but it requires "steering input" every few seconds, which is kind of annoying. I get it, they don't want people using it like auto pilot, but it comes up often enough that I simply don't use it. ACC is tits though, and I'll use it on long freeway drives so long as traffic is flowing.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DrWoo
it’s really only intended for freeway driving. Page 471 of manual “The LKAS is convenient when it is used on freeways.” Page 472 “The LKAS may not function as designed while driving in frequent stop and go traffic, or on roads with sharp curves.”
I was on a local road, but it's a two-lane straight-away section that I was driving at approximately 60 mph. I'm going to try an actual highway tomorrow, which may be a little dangerous because I'll be going at over 70 mph.

Originally Posted by leomio85
Does it only work with cruise control? Honestly, I've never used it without ACC. I turn the system on, set ACC to on, then hit the little steering wheel with lane buttons on the steering wheel and it does its thing. Its gotten better without ping-ponging all over the place, but it requires "steering input" every few seconds, which is kind of annoying. I get it, they don't want people using it like auto pilot, but it comes up often enough that I simply don't use it. ACC is tits though, and I'll use it on long freeway drives so long as traffic is flowing.
No, LKAS works either by itself of with cruise control.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:30 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
No, LKAS works either by itself of with cruise control.

I guess just keep playing around with it and see what works. You're really not missing out on much though. ACC is way better IMO. Oh, and to the question in your second post, you'll usually know it's working because it will show a car in the display which shows the camera senses the car in front of you. If it's an empty silhouette if a car with dotted lines, then it doesn't detect a vehicle in front of you. If you really want to test it out, set the distance to the furthest possible ... I believe it's 4 lil' radar bars. That gives you tons of real estate to know if the system is working properly. Even 1 bar gives you plenty of room. It can get a bit dicey using it in stop and go traffic. Also, when I was driving in a snow storm last year, I got an alert saying the sensor was obstructed and ACC and LKAS weren't available ... so if there's an issue with the sensor, it seems Acura built in a fail-safe that won't even let you use it and will alert you to an issue with the sensor.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:50 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
But then when I drive and veer out of my lane, the car does nothing. Sometimes it does absolutely nothing, as if I had no LKAS. Other times it just flashes "driver steering required" but I still veer out of the lane. But in no instance that I can tell does it steer me back to center. I was going the proper speed (over 45 mph) and the lane markings were clear. Am I doing it wrong, or is that how it's supposed to work?
Yep, sounds like it's working just as designed! :P
Seriously though, I was excited at the prospect of LKAS but found it to be an utter disappointment. It does adjust trajectory a bit, but as often as not it'll literally drive itself off the road. It's a horrible system. ACC on the other hand, I really like. I use it all the time, both in highway traffic and stop-and-go.
Old 12-10-2020, 05:47 PM
Banned

I'm not sure that it is that defective. I talked to someone I know who has a Honda CR-V, which I think uses the same system, and he says he can drive fairly well with LKAS. I'm going to attempt more trials tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:09 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
When it is working, it feels like the car is driving in furrows in asphalt created by heavy trucks. It mildly follows the grooves, but thats about all.
jblitz (12-16-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 06:23 PM
Banned

So you're saying with a properly-functioning LKAS, it will not steer you back to center at all? It's like a "rumble strip," where it just shakes the wheel as you drive off the road into a ditch? I'm asking seriously because the guy with the CRV said his car will actually steer itself pretty well on a highway.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:31 PM
Retired Geezer

Received 128 Likes on 84 Posts
LKAS only works above certain speeds in certain situations. It is easy to tell when it’s active by whether the white lane markers on the dash or HUD are filled or not (filled indicates active) and will be inactivated by a plethora of different reasons. Might be a good idea to read the page or two in the manual to understand what the system will and won’t do to save your life.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:38 PM
Banned

Since nobody answered my questions, I did a search and found this video:

StealthTL-S (01-04-2021)
Old 12-10-2020, 06:43 PM
Pro

How about you stop being LAZY and RTFM that came with the car and is available online and here for FREE. If you want to really answer the question it’s in the manual in black and white. Who cares what anyone tells you about the system, the manual has the real and definitive answer no matter what you think of Acura. By the way the RDX is not a Tesla in any way when it comes to self driving or any form of it.
The following 4 users liked this post by kboo74656:
esquire0399 (12-13-2020), Leaf 68 (12-11-2020), Madd Dog (12-10-2020), markm929 (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 06:47 PM
Banned

How about you figure out how to answer a question? In fact, the video explains the complaint that people on this forum have about the LKAS, but I don't plan on elaborating because you guys are so independent and nobody likes to share information. I'm actually being nice in posting it so that it might help someone else. I could have just been like you and stayed totally silent.
Old 12-10-2020, 06:51 PM
Pro

It’s not my job to do research for you when it’s in the manual that came with your car! Learn to read and not be a lazy fool!
Old 12-10-2020, 06:53 PM
Banned

It's a good thing that it's not your job because you're terrible at it.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:06 PM
Pro

How about this we get an adult sized high chair and a nanny to read the manual to you describing how all the safety features of the RDX work. I’ll even throw in a binky and bib for free!
Old 12-10-2020, 07:17 PM
Banned

I'm not surprised you have a binky and a bib, since you act like an infant. I bet your mom understands.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:36 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Brother, you did this thread for nothing.....because it doesn't work.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:43 PM
Banned

I'm not entirely sure if that's true. The video says that's a misconception by many people due to the way Acura made the system. I'm going to do some testing before I make a decision on that.
Old 12-10-2020, 07:50 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I'm not sure that it is that defective. I talked to someone I know who has a Honda CR-V, which I think uses the same system, and he says he can drive fairly well with LKAS. I'm going to attempt more trials tomorrow.
We have the 2019 RDX and a 2020 CR-V. Both cars will semi-keep you centered in the lane, but it takes some trust in the system, and as others have said, it "times out" fairly quickly, with a message to keep hands on the steering wheel, or something. It is not designed to be hands free, just a means to help keep the car in the lane. Both the CR-V and the RDX work the same, but I believe that when I drive my wife's CR-V on weekends, it seems to follow slightly greater curves without wandering, more so than the RDX does. My first impression was that the 2020s have a better or more accurate system, but I don't have a 2020 RDX to compare. Both will shake the steering wheel if you wander outside the lane markers, and will attempt to stop the car if it thinks you are about to exit the roadway...

We have a four lane divided highway, with gentle curves, and breaks in the divider for left turns every so often. When I drive this road with the RDX, I am often surprised that it will not follow the curves hands free...expecting the car to be "self driving". This is not the job of the LKAS.. BUT when I drive the CR-V on the same section of road, I sense that it seems to follow the curves just a bit better...but still requires that I slightly turn the steering wheel to stay in the lane.,.

ACC is excellent in my opinion. I use it almost every time I get behind the wheel. I have it set to the closest following distance. At first, I didn't, but as I became more confident in its abilities, I have brought it down. A few times when it resumes from a stop, I feel that I might accelerate faster, but I am not an aggressive driver so I let it do its thing, and it vey soon catches up the lead car. I am very happy with the behavior of both systems.

Driver One, give them both a few days of testing, and get used to their capabilities.

One added thing...entering our subdivision, we have a dedicated right turn lane...identified only by paint markings. At first, I wasn't using the turn signal, and the RDX wanted to stop the car and was beeping at me, apparently thinking I was leaving the lane or the roadway...Now I use the turn signals every time. BTW, the lack of turn signal use by my fellow drivers is a pet peeve of mine.
The following 2 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
amcobra (12-11-2020), DriverOne (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 07:54 PM
Banned

Thanks, that was informative.
JB in AZ (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 07:59 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
So you're saying with a properly-functioning LKAS, it will not steer you back to center at all? It's like a "rumble strip," where it just shakes the wheel as you drive off the road into a ditch? I'm asking seriously because the guy with the CRV said his car will actually steer itself pretty well on a highway.
LKAS is Lane Keeping Assist, and it's function is to ASSIST you in keeping centered in your lane. Acura does not make any suggestion that you can drive hands free in this mode. I think the intent is to provide some steering assist, to reduce the amount of correction the driver needs to input. My 2016 RDX would follow gentle curves at highway speeds (hands free) and to keep "mostly" centered in the lane. My 2020 will rarely follow a curve, but it does keep the RDX "perfectly" centered on straight stretches during the 15 seconds that steering input is not required. Even these 15 second intervals are a great benefit if I need to open a can of pop, or get something from the center console.

The shaking wheel is the Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) working. This is a completely different function from LKAS, and will work even with LKAS turned off. RDM is turned on by a button above the drivers left knee. RDM activates when your RDX actually crosses the line on either side of your lane. If you continue to cross the line, RDM will cut engine power and slow your RDX down. I have not tested if it will bring the vehicle to a full stop, because I usually make a habit of steering the car back onto the road before hitting the ditch.

These two functions, along with ACC can be tested at anytime without risk of crashing, so spend some time experimenting with them.

DriverOne (12-10-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 08:03 PM
Pro

I'm not surprised you have a binky and a bib, since you act like an infant. I bet your mom understands.
Got it from your mom after she did her job on her knees servicing me. Go back to proclaiming your laziness on not reading. Make sure you wipe you moms mouth, I left some spillage there! She gets a D minus tonight.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kboo74656
Got it from your mom after she did her job on her knees servicing me. Go back to proclaiming your laziness on not reading. Make sure you wipe you moms mouth, I left some spillage there! She gets a D minus tonight.
Wow, your mom did a great job raising you, son. LMAO

Oh, btw, I was being sarcastic. Your mom is a failure just like you.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:10 PM
Retired Geezer

Received 128 Likes on 84 Posts
Under ideal conditions I’ve been able to get LKAS to keep me centered for about 40 seconds. This is not often reproducible as the system is beyond finicky. The system will turn off without any warning and for no apparent reason. In iffy weather or road conditions forget it. I keep LKAS on all the time but actively drive the car myself. I use the adaptive cruise control most of the time. I live in a rural area and the adaptive cruise control works like a charm. In busy highway traffic I use the regular cruise control as maintaining a constant speed is simpler and leave the spacing to me.
DriverOne (12-10-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 07:56 AM
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts
I think some of you dudes might be a better fit at a BMW forum...
amcobra (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 01:02 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Gonna jump in here and offer my 2 cents as long as my mom isn't brought into the mix...

So I find that using my LKAS and ACC works perfectly when I'm driving on the freeway (I-5 Seattle to Portland). This long 3-hour stretch is custom made for both safety features, especially at night. I've driven the I-5 at 10 PM and once I click the LKAS and ACC on, crank up my ELS - I'm golden. I've set the ACC to the furthest setting giving me plenty of space between the vehicle ahead of me. Between LKAS, ACC and ELS it makes a 3-hour trip very comfortable and not as tiring. Even in a light rain on the freeway at night, everything works as expected.

esquire0399 (12-13-2020)
Old 12-11-2020, 04:34 PM
Banned

I did further testing today. The LKAS does work and will guide you, even around curves. The problem is that it will disconnect at random times, like even on a straightaway. The amount of time I had to spend watching the indicator made the LKAS system basically not even worth it.
Old 12-11-2020, 08:34 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not a fan of ACC, every time someone passes me and then turns into my lane, it slows down. And that's with the shortest distance active. People just cut in too soon and then the person behind me almost ran into me a couple times. It's a great idea, just not for me.

Same with LKAS, I turned it off. I tested it and much like others, it warned me that steering was required but seemed like it randomly worked so I finally gave up.

To each his own
Old 12-11-2020, 09:38 PM
Banned

In my old car, which only had normal cruise control, I would only use it if I was on a long trip that required hours of highway driving. In the immediate vicinity of any major city, even on a highway, it's usually pretty congested and cruise control is pretty worthless. Also, most people in major cities drive pretty aggressively, so there's a lot of cutting people off and abrupt stops. I would never use any type of cruise control in those situations. But if you're in between major cities, most highways are almost empty for large parts of the day and that's when I would use cruise control. It's a little fatiguing to just press down on a gas pedal for hours, although many times I'd just do that instead of cruise control. The main benefit was that if I had cruise control on and it was safe (nobody was around), I could stretch out my legs for a few minutes. I don't think I'll ever really use LKAS, especially Acura's system. They seem to encourage responsible drivers, so the system demands hands on the wheel. And while I'm a fan of responsible driving, that also makes the system sort of pointless. Not entirely, since you can relax your arms a little, but almost entirely.
Old 12-11-2020, 09:53 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
This is my first car with this many driver assist features. Originally, I thought I would find them annoying and just turn them all off. But I leave all of them on and I don't find them to be a problem at all. Fortunately, they've never had to save my bacon and ometimes, they are helpful. Mostly, they seem to work as intended.

Quick Reply: Someone teach me how to use LKAS