Safety Recall: 2019 RDX Fuel Pump Motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 09:03 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Take it back, they may have a leak! I didn’t get any odor at all after mine was done. Seriously, a fire may break out!
Old 06-11-2020, 09:49 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
I have the Car Fax (Car care) App & rec'd the recall notice several days before it showed up in my Acura Link App. Acura does have a fix but you need to call them so they can order the pump which goes in the fuel tank.
Recall Notice showed as 20V-314
#S7D 2019 RDX Fuel Pump Motor Safety Recall
Old 06-11-2020, 01:25 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
So got the fuel pump recall notice---part was ordered and 4 days later it was in and installed in about 3-4 hours. However---
As I started my car I noticed the clock was off by one hour. I double checked that it was still in 'auto timezone set mode' and it was. I went in and manually changed it to Pacific time and the clock was now correct. So I went back and changed it back to 'auto timezone set mode', and it went back to being off by an hour.
On my way to Acura I used the 'speak' button on the steering wheel and said...navigate to Acura dealer....or whatever....and it brought up a display of choice, asking to pick one. #1 was correct as it was the Reno, NV dealer....and selected it.
Then, a map shows up that is basically the street I live on with my car symbol at my house, and the map isn't moving, and i am now about 5 miles from home.
So I then click on the up or down arrow near the top of the screen that gives turn by turn directions. The screen now says 'turn by turn' directions on the top, but is blank under that. And a new smaller map shows up with some streets on it that don't exist in Reno. Googling them, it appears they are in Kansas City. Time for a photo op of the nav screen. I am guessing that the time zone it showed was for KC, but don't know. Anyway, it was all on the screen when i got to Acura so they got to see it. I got a call toward the end of the day that Acura 'wanted to replace the entire infotainment system'. and would likely be done late today.
A side note...my loaner was a 2020 RDX base. Two comments... I like the white numbers on black background speedo and tach a lot better ( in daytime driving). The red of my A-Spec on that silver background can get pretty washed out when the sun is just right. Also, I think I like the lack of the suede insert in the seats better as well...the suede kinds of grabs my pants a little with the friction, and this (is it leather in the base? Pleather?)...but anyway, was easier to slide in and out on.

Old 06-11-2020, 02:03 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
I had my fuel pump replaced without any problems noticed so far on an early 2019 Advance trim (took delivery in June 2018). I left it at the dealer overnight and took a loaner. The part was not on hand and was delivered so that the car was completed by noon the next day. With respect to the clock issue mentioned, mine was correct. Acuralink shows the recall still incomplete with the red warning icon still present, but I would expect that to show complete with the red icon gone after the correct files are updated by the service advisor..
The following users liked this post:
TroyusMaximus (07-29-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 02:03 PM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Not true on the date range above
The sticker on my RDX says May 2018 , so I just called my Acura CR to check if its on the recall list and they verified my VIN with Acura database and says its not .
So , not all RDX manufactured between May 21 , 2018 to Feb 12 2019 need a recall
Old 06-16-2020, 03:30 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmod
Not true on the date range above
The sticker on my RDX says May 2018 , so I just called my Acura CR to check if its on the recall list and they verified my VIN with Acura database and says its not .
So , not all RDX manufactured between May 21 , 2018 to Feb 12 2019 need a recall
Recall notice actually states that vehicles in this date range COULD be affected. It’s actually more a function of when the bad fuel pump batch was manufactured and IF a bad one was installed in your vehicle.

Last edited by DrWoo; 06-16-2020 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-16-2020, 04:42 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
I have used two dealerships. One up North that I am unhappy with, and Naples Acura in Florida. I have been to each one twice, and I was very pleased with Naples, and displeased with the one up north.

Naples called me to tell me about the recall. From the one up North, where I bought the car? Crickets.

We are moving further up the line, so I am giving that Acura dealership this work. Even though I didn’t buy my car there, I am getting a loaner. I hope I like this dealer better.
Old 06-16-2020, 08:56 PM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
I went to the Acura Owner's Site and entered my VIN and it showed my RDX was under recall. I was also notified on my AcuraLink app. I called my dealership and the recall was confirmed and the part ordered. I brought my RDX in on Monday and the part was replaced in an hour and ten minutes. Very happy with the service and the whole experience. No complaints.
Old 06-17-2020, 12:17 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I have used two dealerships. One up North that I am unhappy with, and Naples Acura in Florida. I have been to each one twice, and I was very pleased with Naples, and displeased with the one up north.

Naples called me to tell me about the recall. From the one up North, where I bought the car? Crickets.

We are moving further up the line, so I am giving that Acura dealership this work. Even though I didn’t buy my car there, I am getting a loaner. I hope I like this dealer better.
Well, I'm up north, and I'm hearing crickets too. And nothing for my VIN yet on the Acura Owners site. Maybe southern fuel pumps party hard and die young?
Old 06-18-2020, 08:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Auto Start?

Had the fuel pump replaced, now the auto stop/start isn't working (maybe I should consider that a blessing in disguise). Anyway, the dealer says the fuel pump replacement had nothing to do with that but they can do a "reset". Anyone hear of anything like that? Way too coincidental that it worked on the way to the dealer and not afterward. I'll put on my foil hat and listen to your responses.....
Old 06-18-2020, 09:06 AM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I wish my auto start stop would quit too! I hate that feature. Just going to shorten the starter life!
Old 06-18-2020, 09:23 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
How do you get rid of the Recall notification in the AcuraLink app? I got the recall service 2 days ago and still see the message.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:11 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by JsRDX
Had the fuel pump replaced, now the auto stop/start isn't working (maybe I should consider that a blessing in disguise). Anyway, the dealer says the fuel pump replacement had nothing to do with that but they can do a "reset". Anyone hear of anything like that? Way too coincidental that it worked on the way to the dealer and not afterward. I'll put on my foil hat and listen to your responses.....
I had the opposite happen to me after the fuel pump replacement. See this thread, may be related to hood being open when car was started at dealer. https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-986238/page2/
Old 06-18-2020, 10:48 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by DrWoo
I had the opposite happen to me after the fuel pump replacement. See this thread, may be related to hood being open when car was started at dealer. https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-986238/page2/
Now that I better understand when the AIS works, I'll -- at some point -- test this claim myself. I don't think this is a durable way to disable AIS, but I'll likely verify that one of these days. (The handy button suffices now)
Old 06-18-2020, 10:57 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Couldn't the electronic switch just be replaced with a hard switch? Like a nice toggle? I think cars need to have more toggle switches, in general.

Funny story about a toggle switch; I once installed one on a boat's starter motor. Things didn't end well.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:12 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2019 RDX Advance is in for the recall issue right now. My dealer knew immediately when i called and ordered the part. Same day repair. Maybe you should call your dealer? Hope this helps
Old 06-18-2020, 11:27 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read somewhere on here that the auto stop start may not be working has something to do with the hood being open or closed ( can;t remember which) when they (mechanic) restarted the car. Mine hasnt worked since last oil change but really dont want it fixed. Maybe look on here to see if you can find that post. The person that posted it had the fix. If you really want it fixed :-)
Old 06-18-2020, 02:19 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
I think it is just a state of charge thing.

Too, I have no idea how to clear the alert on my app, nor how to clear the history off addresses sent.

what a piss-poor piece of software that app is.
Old 06-18-2020, 02:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto Start Fix

Thanks to those who pointed me to the other thread regarding the hood being opened with the engine running. Now I'm almost scared to go back to the dealer for the "reset". One and a half hours to fix? Opening/closing can't take that long...maybe since they will get reimbursed by Acura, they stretch it out.
Old 06-18-2020, 07:47 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by DJA123
Now that I better understand when the AIS works, I'll -- at some point -- test this claim myself. I don't think this is a durable way to disable AIS, but I'll likely verify that one of these days. (The handy button suffices now)
Our AIS has always worked reliably up until the Covid lockdown but quit working when we weren't driving the car very often. Now that things are opening up a bit and we've been out for some extended drives it has started working again. I'm one of those that doesn't care for this feature and always turn it off when I remember so I was anxious to give the open hood trick a try. After getting the car warmed up, AIS didn't activate the first 4 or 5 stops where I would have expected it to. I was pretty excited about this until the next traffic light where AIS kicked in just like normal.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:09 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Originally Posted by GW208
Our AIS has always worked reliably up until the Covid lockdown but quit working when we weren't driving the car very often. Now that things are opening up a bit and we've been out for some extended drives it has started working again. I'm one of those that doesn't care for this feature and always turn it off when I remember so I was anxious to give the open hood trick a try. After getting the car warmed up, AIS didn't activate the first 4 or 5 stops where I would have expected it to. I was pretty excited about this until the next traffic light where AIS kicked in just like normal.
Yeah, we beat this to death in the dedicated discussion(s), so it doesn't surprise me that the AIS resets after a period of time. The only factor that seems to matter is battery charge state, and that's situational.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:15 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustachio
How do you get rid of the Recall notification in the AcuraLink app? I got the recall service 2 days ago and still see the message.
In addition to the notification still not going away, the fuel gage in the car is no longer accurate after the recall service. At a full tank, it reads 3/4 full. Scheduled another service appointment for Monday
Old 06-19-2020, 09:00 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I called my dealer last week to make an appointment for today. Arrived at my appointment time and my advisor went out to my car to get the details. Comes back in to tell me that I’m due for my 30k service (I have 25k miles) which would replace oil, brake fluid, trans fluid, several additives for oil and trans, wiper blades air filter, top end induct service and probably a few things I forgot for a grand total of $1200 and he has a loaner available. I said, I’m just here for the recall that I made an appointment for. His reply, do you know if we ordered the part? Of course they can’t be proactive and have ordered the part when I called for that specific reason. Oh well.....
Old 06-19-2020, 09:19 AM
Expanse me

Received 302 Likes on 228 Posts
Originally Posted by bpascucci
I called my dealer last week to make an appointment for today. Arrived at my appointment time and my advisor went out to my car to get the details. Comes back in to tell me that I’m due for my 30k service (I have 25k miles) which would replace oil, brake fluid, trans fluid, several additives for oil and trans, wiper blades air filter, top end induct service and probably a few things I forgot for a grand total of $1200 and he has a loaner available. I said, I’m just here for the recall that I made an appointment for. His reply, do you know if we ordered the part? Of course they can’t be proactive and have ordered the part when I called for that specific reason. Oh well.....
speaking of the maintenance schedule, does anyone know where to get the details of the maintenance of the vehicle, like mentioned above? 1200 bucks, really? they advertise no tune up for 100,000 miles... lol
but really, where can I/you find that schedule that the dealer is talking about?
Old 06-19-2020, 09:24 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Funz51
speaking of the maintenance schedule, does anyone know where to get the details of the maintenance of the vehicle, like mentioned above? 1200 bucks, really? they advertise no tune up for 100,000 miles... lol
but really, where can I/you find that schedule that the dealer is talking about?
In my opinion, only in the service advisor's "how to get extra money" handbook.

Follow the Maintenance Minder (MM) on your dash and you will be fine.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:35 AM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
In my opinion, only in the service advisor's "how to get extra money" handbook.

Follow the Maintenance Minder (MM) on your dash and you will be fine.
yeah, i understand that. Just wondering like when the tranny fluid really should be changed, brake fluid, etc. can probably look at any other honda model with a similar setup.
Old 06-19-2020, 10:05 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

yeah, i understand that. Just wondering like when the tranny fluid really should be changed, brake fluid, etc. can probably look at any other honda model with a similar setup.
Acura doesn't publish a fixed schedule for maintenance items, they show you the various MM code definitions and then use the MM to determine intervals, based on individual driving pattern. They give you mileage/time maximums for extreme usage conditions should you wish to override MM, but no specific intervals (that I've seen)

And, as you know, the service advisor is usually a commission sales position. He/she gets a piece of the work performed. One of the reasons I stopped taking the Subaru to a local dealer: Sitting in the waiting area I heard a continuous parade of SAs telling people they needed cabin air filters @ $80 a pop. Bye bye.

Last edited by DJA123; 06-19-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Funz51 (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 01:07 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Canadian RDX?

Any Canadian here got a notice from Acura for this recall?, just wondering..
Old 06-19-2020, 04:56 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Yotrek
You guys got power folding mirrors, we got bad fuel pumps...you don't need any recalls. ;-)
Madd Dog (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 08:58 PM
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Update: Acura of Honolulu performed the fuel pump safety recall to my 2019 Acura RDX Tech yesterday. I had them do an B-1 service at the same time. I normally DIY this B1 service myself. Acura of Honolulu offered me a discount, so why not? I even got an Acura TLX loaner. All systems GO. Quality of Job #1, to steal a phrase from Ford.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:22 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
You guys got power folding mirrors, we got bad fuel pumps...you don't need any recalls. ;-)
oh well I guess you’re right
Old 06-19-2020, 11:41 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
nothing yet. aspec Build date jan 2019
Old 06-20-2020, 06:12 AM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
I had a notice pop up on my AcuraLink app about a week ago. Only yesterday was I able to make an appoint with the dealership through the app because it always said that the manufacturer had yet to provide a solution (parts) to the problem. I have an appointment on Monday, but there is a member of the Canadian 3rd Gen RDX Facebook group who already had their fuel pump motor replaced at their dealership. Their service took six hours, but they also wanted another issue looked at.
Old 06-20-2020, 09:12 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Originally Posted by bluntman72
...Their service took six hours, but they also wanted another issue looked at.
I'm assuming the other issue contributed to the length of time involved. But in many situations like this, I tend to avoid being an early adopter/participant. Whether it's a new product or service, I usually wait for a period of time before jumping in. In that sense, I don't like the adventure of being first.

My wife's Subaru had a recall due to instances of valve springs breaking in a tiny number of engines. The recall fix is an invasive procedure that techs do not perform regularly. The Subaru owner group immediately lit up with horror stories of engine failures following the fix. The early participants helped Subaru identify the wrong ways to install the new valve springs. Someone has be first for these things, but I try to avoid it being me.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 192 Posts
I'm assuming the other issue contributed to the length of time involved. But in many situations like this, I tend to avoid being an early adopter/participant. Whether it's a new product or service, I usually wait for a period of time before jumping in. In that sense, I don't like the adventure of being first.

My wife's Subaru had a recall due to instances of valve springs breaking in a tiny number of engines. The recall fix is an invasive procedure that techs do not perform regularly. The Subaru owner group immediately lit up with horror stories of engine failures following the fix. The early participants helped Subaru identify the wrong ways to install the new valve springs. Someone has be first for these things, but I try to avoid it being me.
hopefully if it is a job that they don’t do often they put their master mechanic on the job. Those guys have rebuilt engines 100s over, I have a friend who is a Subaru mechanic and he does it for fun on the side. Mine took 3 hours and no smell of gas inside, did a 1800 mile road trip the next day. All comes down to the tech doing the work and the experience, unfortunately we don’t get to know any of that. You can ask for only their master mechanic to work on it, say you don’t want anyone else working on it
Old 06-20-2020, 08:53 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Acura doesn't publish a fixed schedule for maintenance items, they show you the various MM code definitions and then use the MM to determine intervals, based on individual driving pattern. They give you mileage/time maximums for extreme usage conditions should you wish to override MM, but no specific intervals (that I've seen)
The intervals are no longer published, but most of them haven't changed in decades. The MM just tries to schedule them along with oil changes. Only the oil change interval is calculated based upon individual driving conditions. The other intervals are "adjusted" to coincide with an oil change.

As for the "extreme use" intervals, they are always half the "normal use" mileage interval, which is a convenient way to determine some of the "normal use" intervals.

Check out the "DIY" section for more info.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:52 AM
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How is the Fuel Pump replaced?

I know nothing about how a fuel pump is replaced. Does the fuel tank need to be emptied before this is done?
Old 06-21-2020, 09:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by AcuraRDXMIKE
I know nothing about how a fuel pump is replaced. Does the fuel tank need to be emptied before this is done?
No. The fuel pump is accessed under the rear seat, through the top of the fuel tank
Old 06-21-2020, 11:35 AM
Expanse me

Originally Posted by AcuraRDXMIKE
you can read all about how they do it via the bulletin. http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B20-026.PDF

I would suggest less than a half tank of gas when they do the service. Less hassle for them.
bluntman72 (06-21-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 07:59 PM
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
you can read all about how they do it via the bulletin. http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B20-026.PDF

I would suggest less than a half tank of gas when they do the service. Less hassle for them.
Thanks for this...I wasn't too sure if I had to remove the items from the rear storage compartment.

Quick Reply: Safety Recall: 2019 RDX Fuel Pump Motor