Request for those that put REGULAR gas in your RDX (gasp!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 11:13 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
The RDX claims 272 HP and 280 lb-ft and recommends premium, so I can assume that number is based on premium.
The Accord claims 252 HP and 273 lb-ft and recommends regular, so I can assume that number is based on regular.

The two cars share the same engine and transmission.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:23 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
The RDX claims 272 HP and 280 lb-ft and recommends premium, so I can assume that number is based on premium.
The Accord claims 252 HP and 273 lb-ft and recommends regular, so I can assume that number is based on regular.

The two cars share the same engine and transmission.
The RDX has different intake and exhaust systems for more flow and different ECU tuning to take better advantage of premium fuel.

https://www.sae.org/news/2018/07/201...t-chassis-tech

You likely lose more maximum power by running regular in an RDX than you'll gain by running premium in an Accord.

The Accord won't make 272 HP on premium nor will the RDX make 252 on regular.

Last edited by zroger73; 07-26-2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by JustMe...
What makes you think the dealer put premium in the loaner? I will put money on it that they just use 87, like all the BMW and Audi dealers do.
There is a chance that I am wrong about the gas in the loaner. But I cannot deny the change in the car dynamic, I drove one after another. I'm sure the dealer is not the one putting gas in loaner, since you have to return the car with full tank of gas. Consider the town the dealer is at, I am going to guess that most of the client that goes there will just put in the premium and not think too much about it at the full service gas station 1/4 miles away.

Instead of just linking articles and talking about butt dyno, I want to prove or disprove my experience with data. It will be nice to make log of the engine compression between the two type of gas. I saw someone posted the engine compression in earlier thread but no follow up after that.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:47 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by omygod711
There is a chance that I am wrong about the gas in the loaner. But I cannot deny the change in the car dynamic, I drove one after another. I'm sure the dealer is not the one putting gas in loaner, since you have to return the car with full tank of gas. Consider the town the dealer is at, I am going to guess that most of the client that goes there will just put in the premium and not think too much about it at the full service gas station 1/4 miles away.

Instead of just linking articles and talking about butt dyno, I want to prove or disprove my experience with data. It will be nice to make log of the engine compression between the two type of gas. I saw someone posted the engine compression in earlier thread but no follow up after that.
With my Infiniti, the car's ECU learns and automatically adjusts the gas pedal input to engine response. For example, if you're a lead foot all the time, the car will automatically dampen the engine response when you press the accelerator pedal. Once you reset the ECU again, the car feels a lot more responsive and sensitive, and the slightest touch to the pedal makes the car accelerate much quicker.

I assume it may be similar with the RDX. You may have gotten a car that had its ECU reset recently, or the car was just handled by people who don't mash on the pedal all the time. This is just all speculation.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 07-26-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
With my Infiniti, the car automatically adjusts the gas pedal input to engine response. For example, if you're a lead foot all the time, the car will automatically dampen the engine response when you press the accelerator pedal. Once you reset the ECU again, the car feels a lot more responsive and sensitive, and the slightest touch to the pedal makes the car accelerate much quicker.

I assume it may be similar with the RDX. You may have gotten a car that had its ECU reset, or the car was just handled by people who don't mash on the pedal all the time.
You got it the other way around, I been using regular gas and my car was the sloth. The loaner felt great, and after I put premium into my car it felt great again.
Old 07-26-2019, 12:58 PM
Pro

You got it the other way around, I been using regular gas and my car was the sloth. The loaner felt great, and after I put premium into my car it felt great again.
Oops my bad.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:41 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
So here is my experience with the regular and premium gas debate... Just my observation.

I been filling up my RDX with regular at least 95% of the time for the last ~20,000 miles. Had to take car into dealer for warranty work and got a loaner RDX with premium gas. Driving between two cars around the same time and road, I can tell that the premium gas loaner response better with more low rpm torque.
I felt my regular gas RDX has to works harder to get the power I expected from the RDX, I have to constantly rev up the engine to get to the power I need either by switching to "S" to keep rpm up or floor it more often. Also as I observed the turbo gauge, it seems boost comes in slower.

I got my RDX to have low on the tank and put in premium and instantly the car feels more responsive like the loaner.

I don't think you get more MAX power between regular and premium, once the power kick in there should be minimal difference. The power comes in sooner with premium and at lower rpm with premium gas. Since I don't have to rev the engine up so much, I observed 2 mpg improvement. For my kind of driving, the overall cost should balance out and I get a more responsive car.

Again it's just my observation. You can try playing around with it for anyone interested.
My Acura dealer uses 87 in all loaners. I was personally told this by the service guy. Also when I bought my RDX, they took me to their gas pumps in the back and proceeded to fill my RDX with 87. This was the only time I have had 87 in my car. From then on I have used 93.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:50 PM
Drifting

I am confident that using premium provides better performance and economy. Whether the small gain premium gives is worth the extra money it costs is an individual decision.

As an aside, my wife just bought two tickets to Hamilton and that will surely cover the difference in putting premium in my car for at least 5 years.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:28 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking that way too. No way dealers will spend the extra money to put premium gas in their cars. They're in it to make money, not to lose money. I bet the customers who return the loaners put regular gas in the car too. They're not going to pay extra for the premium especially if it isn't their own car.

I put regular gas in the Infiniti loaners which the manufacturer specified Premium gas only.
Here is another reason and many other not to buy a dealer demo, renter or loaner cars. I had a pretty good deal on a demo MDX but I backed out. I always purchase new. Yes, I pay the premium and depreciation as soon as I walk out the dealer but I know no one has driven it. I babied all my cars.

I use only Shell or Mobile1 top tier gas in my RDX. Shell has only 93 octane in my area. Mobile1 just came out with “ 2X extreme cleaning” fuel. That’s what they advertised with lots of addictive I guess. I have yet to find out what’s in it.

On my recent 200+ miles trips and with the RDX had over 4500 miles I averaged around 26.7 MPG. The drive mode was in Sport and I am doing 75+ MPH. I am happy so far but not expecting 35 MPG liken our the 2014 Accord Sport.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:02 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Originally Posted by PAPI007
My Acura dealer uses 87 in all loaners. I was personally told this by the service guy. Also when I bought my RDX, they took me to their gas pumps in the back and proceeded to fill my RDX with 87. This was the only time I have had 87 in my car. From then on I have used 93.
That would kinda piss me off.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Isplit my bets.

Anyone using 89/midgrade?
The following users liked this post:
Ih8honda (06-01-2021)
Old 07-29-2019, 07:17 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking that way too. No way dealers will spend the extra money to put premium gas in their cars. They're in it to make money, not to lose money. I bet the customers who return the loaners put regular gas in the car too. They're not going to pay extra for the premium especially if it isn't their own car.

I put regular gas in the Infiniti loaners which the manufacturer specified Premium gas only.
I agree with this!^^^^
Old 07-29-2019, 07:55 PM
Pro

Honestly though, the engine is able to take 87 grade gasoline with no damage whatsoever. The manual states that 87 is minimum required and that 91 is recommended. It’s kind of dumb to freak out over 87 when the manual never states engine damage would occur when 87 is in it.

Even the Infiniti manual states that 91 is required, but 87 can be used if 91 isn’t available but states to put 91 as soon as possible afterwards to prevent engine knocking. The compression ratio in the Infiniti is much higher than the RDX.

I wouldn’t worry about putting 87 in the RDX engine at all. The compression ratio isn’t high enough to require premium.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:43 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by JustMe...
What makes you think the dealer put premium in the loaner? I will put money on it that they just use 87, like all the BMW and Audi dealers do.
My dealer specifically told me the only vehicles they put premium in are the ones that say "Premium Required"
Old 07-30-2019, 03:26 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Honestly though, the engine is able to take 87 grade gasoline with no damage whatsoever. The manual states that 87 is minimum required and that 91 is recommended. It’s kind of dumb to freak out over 87 when the manual never states engine damage would occur when 87 is in it.

Even the Infiniti manual states that 91 is required, but 87 can be used if 91 isn’t available but states to put 91 as soon as possible afterwards to prevent engine knocking. The compression ratio in the Infiniti is much higher than the RDX.

I wouldn’t worry about putting 87 in the RDX engine at all. The compression ratio isn’t high enough to require premium.
No damage running normally, but with higher loads and at higher RPMs you're more likely to get pre-detonation/knock using lower octane fuel. That's bad enough with regular engines, but it's extra bad with all the added boost in a turbocharged motor. I would not be comfortable relying on the ECU to appropriately pull timing and lower boost when it detects knock at WOT. If all you're doing is puttering around town, that's fine because modern ECUs will ride the knock sensor regardless of octane and you won't be in boost, but I wouldn't consider it to be safe for those who are more aggressive with the throttle.
Ih8honda (06-01-2021)
Old 07-30-2019, 04:23 PM
Drifting

The car is tuned for 91. That it can be made to tone itself down for 87 is not a great recommendation for most of us to do so, IMO. I ran a few thousand miles on premium, then a few thousand miles on regular, and went back to premium because it just felt like it drove better that way.

YMMV
Old 08-01-2019, 11:48 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drive a 2019 RDX Advance trim (leased on DEC-2018) and been putting regular unleaded (87-octane in So. Cal.) and never noticed any difference or issue with this type of gas.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:57 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
I did a calculation based on my average miles driven per year, my average miles per gallon with premium, and the average difference in cost per gallon between premium and regular. It came to about $250 more per year for premium gas for my situation. If the miles per gallon is more with premium than regular, the difference in cost would be less than that. I guess it is up to the individual to determine if that is significant compared to the total cost of ownership of the vehicle or is not and what is the downside to the vehicle over the years with using.regular if there is a downside. I just do the math, I'm not an automotive engineer. As a footnote, I always use Top Tier gasoline except for when I am on a road trip and a station with that blend is not in the vicinity.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i use low grade. feels no different. the ecu adapts to everything and compensates. bit the engine and tuning of the car are designed to be able to handle regular and high octane.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:43 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
It would be interesting to see this test done on the 2.0L Accord and RDX. Looks like with other manufacturers even if premium is recommended you don't really have much of an impact on MPG. It's mostly a performance change.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...dodge-charger/
Old 08-17-2019, 12:23 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
The car is tuned for 91. That it can be made to tone itself down for 87 is not a great recommendation for most of us to do so, IMO. I ran a few thousand miles on premium, then a few thousand miles on regular, and went back to premium because it just felt like it drove better that way.

YMMV
I agree 100% that the drivetrain is more responsive with premium fuel. My own tests, confirmed in my mind, that the small savings by using regular gas is not worth the performance hit and performance was a major factor in my buying decision.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:17 AM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
'cuz recommending premium fuel makes it a luxury vehicle, right?
Acuras aren't "luxury", they're performance cars...
Old 08-19-2019, 11:25 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Official_A-SpecReviews_YT
I would argue that with the exception of Type S and NSX, Acuras are not performance cars. Infiniti is more performance sport luxury than Acura. Lexus is just pure luxury. Acura is somewhere in the middle with no clear identity.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-19-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-19-2019, 11:27 AM
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Official_A-SpecReviews_YT
Well, they're really not "performance" cars, either, except for perhaps the NSX.
Old 08-19-2019, 04:13 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Haven't purchased yet but to save a few hundred dollars annually doesn't seem worth not using premium
Old 08-19-2019, 04:46 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by blexann
Haven't purchased yet but to save a few hundred dollars annually doesn't seem worth not using premium
I just finished my first year, and did some math. The total additional dollars came to about $248 for the year, viz

14K miles at 22.5 mpg = 622 gallons. At about 40¢ difference per gallon is $248 per year or $21/month.

For some, it is no big deal, for others, it is. YMMV.
blexann (08-19-2019)
Old 08-19-2019, 05:04 PM
Pro

I just finished my first year, and did some math. The total additional dollars came to about $248 for the year, viz

14K miles at 22.5 mpg = 622 gallons. At about 40¢ difference per gallon is $248 per year or $21/month.

Agreed. In NJ, it's about 50 cents per gallon in difference between regular and premium at Costco. I fill my car up about every week and it takes about 13 gallons, $6.50 per week difference x 52 weeks in a year would be around $338. In ten years it would be $3400. To me that's pretty significant especially if regular gasoline doesn't damage the powertrain.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:09 PM
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

$248 = 165 Costco All Beef Hot Dogs and 20 oz. Soda (With Refill). Not me, but that's means a lot to some folks.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:26 PM
Racer

Agreed. In NJ, it's about 50 cents per gallon in difference between regular and premium at Costco. I fill my car up about every week and it takes about 13 gallons, $6.50 per week difference x 52 weeks in a year would be around $338. In ten years it would be $3400. To me that's pretty significant especially if regular gasoline doesn't damage the powertrain.
Yeah if there is no mpg hit and you don't notice the performance improvement it seems like a no brainer. Even if it was damaging the engine, you're paying $3400 to protect a 10 year old engine in advance from 87 gas and only 87 gas. There are so many other things that can go wrong. You're covered for 6 years on the powertrain anyways even if you used 87, so you already spent ~$2000 extra for gas over 6 years when your warranty would have covered engine damage anyways. Seems like a waste. Might as well buy the extended Acuracare warranty and get actual peace of mind for that $2000 instead of feeling like you're protecting your engine with premium.
Old 08-19-2019, 05:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR1
$248 = 165 Costco All Beef Hot Dogs and 20 oz. Soda (With Refill). Not me, but that's means a lot to some folks.

You're telling me I could get a hot dog and soda every other day in February if I skipped premium?! Sign me up!!! I know where I'm going for Valentines day!!!
Old 08-19-2019, 06:17 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by skarface
You're telling me I could get a hot dog and soda every other day in February if I skipped premium?! Sign me up!!! I know where I'm going for Valentines day!!!
Assuming 28 days in February, you could have 5.9 hot dogs and sodas EVERY DAY if you skipped premium. Enjoy.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EXCALIBUR1
Assuming 28 days in February, you could have 5.9 hot dogs and sodas EVERY DAY if you skipped premium. Enjoy.
No no no, I still want some throughout the year... Don't want to binge...lol
Old 08-19-2019, 06:39 PM
Racer

No no no, I still want some throughout the year... Don't want to binge...lol
Roger that. Moderation is a good thing.
Old 08-19-2019, 07:49 PM
Drifting

Not to mention all the gas those hot dogs and sauerkraut generate.
Old 08-19-2019, 10:43 PM
Pro

Yeah if there is no mpg hit and you don't notice the performance improvement it seems like a no brainer. Even if it was damaging the engine, you're paying $3400 to protect a 10 year old engine in advance from 87 gas and only 87 gas. There are so many other things that can go wrong. You're covered for 6 years on the powertrain anyways even if you used 87, so you already spent ~$2000 extra for gas over 6 years when your warranty would have covered engine damage anyways. Seems like a waste. Might as well buy the extended Acuracare warranty and get actual peace of mind for that $2000 instead of feeling like you're protecting your engine with premium.
Yeah I’m planning to add Acura Care for another 6 years once 4 year/50k miles happen.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:51 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Subjective Experience

I'm pretty sure this is all in my mind. Bought I pumped gas for the first time for my car. I pumped 91 from Costco, and felt the car drove better. I noticed there was less of a lag when I accelerated. I was thinking of using 87 based on this thread. But, I figured if I wanted reduced HP and frugality, I would of bought the CRV.

Though I'm assuming dealer filled my car with 87 when I bought the car.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:21 AM
Pro

Well, as an update, I still haven’t noticed a difference in performance or mpg hit when I went to regular from premium. The car now gets all regular now.
zroger73 (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 01:20 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
Not to mention all the gas those hot dogs and sauerkraut generate.
That has to add at least a few horsepower.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Just put 93 gas at costco for $2.51 per gallon, regular was $2.31. Your car, do what what want.
Old 02-01-2020, 07:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russianDude
Just put 93 gas at costco for $2.51 per gallon, regular was $2.31. Your car, do what what want.
Down here, I paid $2.19 for regular. 89 was $2.79 and 93 was 2.99.

I love Gas Buddy. But it shows a 50¢ difference in price per gallon for regular within only a few miles of my location.

It always surprises me how wide the price range is for the same grade of gas within short distances.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 02-01-2020 at 08:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Request for those that put REGULAR gas in your RDX (gasp!)