Replaced windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2020, 12:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Replaced windshield

Front windshield developed a thin 8" crack starting at the edge. No external impact was visible. Took it to the dealer indicating that this may be a manufacturing defect and hence would be covered by the warranty. [Purchased May 2019.] The service manager pulled out his ball pen, poked at a point in the crack and said it was a small pebble impact that caused the crack, and hence not a warranty issue.
There are two Acura dealers in my city, and neither does windshield repairs. They did say though that due to camera calibration requirements, I should look only for an OEM part to preserve the warranty.
So went to a well known auto glass repair shop, and am almost 1K poorer. The OEM part off the Acura store is $550 appx. Rest is labor, much of it for calibration. Told not to run car through car wash for at least two days.
No insurance claim as deductible on the comprehensive item is 1K. Planning to ask insurance agent to quote either for a 'full glass' add-on, or reduce the deductible on the comprehensive portion to $300 or so to cover this kind of mishap in the future.
Sharing experience with my fellow owners. Please check your glass coverage!
Old 10-03-2020, 03:02 PM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Had Safelite perform a full replacement with Acura OEM front glass. Safelite also calibrated all required sensors. They did a great job.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 11:58 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
I feel your pain, we had a rock hit the windshield after having our car for barely a month. Our dealer doesn't do repairs either but they have an independent glass company that does work for them and that worked out well for us. We dropped the car off in the morning, the dealer gave us a loaner for the day and we were able to pick our car up in the afternoon after the windshield had been replaced and calibrated. I don't think they mentioned car washes but they did tell us to make sure we had all the windows cracked open a couple of inches when we closed the doors for the next couple of days.

The final bill was just under $1300 but luckily after reading about how expensive new car windshields were, we had lowered the deductible from $500 to $100 when we first insured the car so that was all it cost out of pocket. We have State Farm and if I remember right the premium was only about $12 more every 6 months for the lower deductible.
Old 10-20-2020, 10:47 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
crappy thing about the windshield crack's. FYI I've had full glass protection (with no deductible) for many years after learning it was just a few dollars a year. I learned it the hard way like you. I had a 1975 Buick Skyhawk with a V6 & 4 speed. It was a hatchback with a huge rear window. I bought it while living in Tucson AZ. One day on a very hot day the glass blew outwards from the interior heat. It actually exploded. I had to buy a replacement at my cost like you mentioned. Since then I made sure to keep Full glass protection on all my cars.
Old 10-20-2020, 12:44 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by GW208
I feel your pain, we had a rock hit the windshield after having our car for barely a month. Our dealer doesn't do repairs either but they have an independent glass company that does work for them and that worked out well for us. We dropped the car off in the morning, the dealer gave us a loaner for the day and we were able to pick our car up in the afternoon after the windshield had been replaced and calibrated. I don't think they mentioned car washes but they did tell us to make sure we had all the windows cracked open a couple of inches when we closed the doors for the next couple of days.

The final bill was just under $1300 but luckily after reading about how expensive new car windshields were, we had lowered the deductible from $500 to $100 when we first insured the car so that was all it cost out of pocket. We have State Farm and if I remember right the premium was only about $12 more every 6 months for the lower deductible.
Did they replaced your windshield with the original Acura windshield, with Acura stamp on it?.
Old 10-21-2020, 12:01 AM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotrek
Did they replaced your windshield with the original Acura windshield, with Acura stamp on it?.
Yes, the dealer did the ordering and calibration of the OEM windshield, the independent glass guy only did the replacement work.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:30 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
I have never paid for a window replacement, my insurance covers it 100%. Maybe its because I always asked for that coverage or maybe where I live its just normal. Having worked in the industry I know just how expensive it can be. I have personally installed many new windshields while working a dealership but that was a LONG time ago and it was much easier back then!
Old 10-22-2020, 06:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 703 Likes on 545 Posts
In many insurance companies (including mine), after car is older than 3 years, they will not pay for OEM windshield, only after market. If you still want OEM, you need to pay difference out of pocket, which could be a lot of money.
Its concerning of what will happen in few years when insurance companies will only pay for after market. Its a big gamble after market, it may or may not work right or might have optical distortions (I had this with after market glass on my old car). Given all the sensors, I’d not want after market even when my car is 10yr old

Last edited by russianDude; 10-22-2020 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:12 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So the camera calibration....basically the guy just drives it for 15 mins to make sure it doesn't do anything weird. I don't want to say it's a rip-off, but it's a sneaky way for them to make extra money if you have glass coverage in your insurance.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
1st post, glad to be here (although not glad to be commenting on this thread, lol)!

I got a rock chip in the front windshield driving my new 2020 RDX A-Spec home from the dealer last week. Took it to a local Safelight office to have the chip filled with resin. The dumbass doing the repair got two smudges of the resin onto the hood of my car! I noticed it about 20 mins later but it was starting to cure, and I couldn't wipe it off. And... the resin in the chip cured cloudy, so now I have a spot on the lower right part of my windshield that is now more noticeable than the chip itself!

I have had several chips fixed this way on other cars, all of them by a locally owned, lesser known company, and always at Sam's Club after getting gas (they set up a tent and come clean your windshield while you're getting gas, then show you the chip(s) you have and offer to fill them under insurance). Never had a problem with any of that work, done under a tent in less than 30 minutes.

Love my RDX, but I'll never use Safelight again.

Ludepower (11-18-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 07:39 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
That sucks, and I almost never use that word! So sorry to hear that! Is satellite offering to assist in any repairs?

FWIW, any company is only as good as it's employees. I have had numerous windshields replaced and chips repaired by Safelite and never any issues.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 11-10-2020 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:19 PM
Intermediate

Thanks man, yeah, it sucks. They did the repair yesterday and I called them as soon as I noticed the resin smudges. I took it back over this morning for them to look at it. I was nervous about letting them do anything, but allowed them to try IPA to see if it would break down the resin. It didn't do anything.

This afternoon, I took the least abrasive polish I have and spend about two hours polishing the two spots by hand. I was able to remove one spot completely, and all but the high points of the other spot, which I'll hit at a later date with a higher cut polish.
JB in AZ (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 08:38 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by boyce89976
Thanks man, yeah, it sucks. They did the repair yesterday and I called them as soon as I noticed the resin smudges. I took it back over this morning for them to look at it. I was nervous about letting them do anything, but allowed them to try IPA to see if it would break down the resin. It didn't do anything.

This afternoon, I took the least abrasive polish I have and spend about two hours polishing the two spots by hand. I was able to remove one spot completely, and all but the high points of the other spot, which I'll hit at a later date with a higher cut polish.
Beautiful car! After you do your magic on the other spot, forget about this and just enjoy it! You are gonna love it!
boyce89976 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 08:45 PM
Intermediate

Thank you! I do love it! I've had a few BMW X5's and my initial impressions of the RDX are more positive than any of my Bimmers. My wife and I both got new RDX's over the past month (here's is a Fathom Blue Advance). She had a 2012 MDX that we bought new, and put 100k miles on over the last 8 years... I'm looking forward to keeping these RDX's for a long time, too!

It definitely helped a lot today when I started to make some progress with removing the resin spots. As long as I'm patient, I think I can get all of it off with a heavier cut polish.
JB in AZ (11-10-2020)
Old 11-11-2020, 04:38 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
I had a heavy chunk of metal casting (like a ball joint assembly, smaller than an alternator) fly off a truck on an angle which left a signifcant dent and scrape on the hood. I got a quote and was ready to call State Farm, asking my State Farm agent how to do it. Click Send. One breath later he called my cell and said DO NOT DO THAT! It's better to eat it than have an incident on your record, no matter how small. A reported incident could have increased my rates. He said he's deleting my e-mail and this phone call never happened. O-Kayyyy!

Actually he told me the same thing a couple of years earlier when I had a growing crack on the windshield. You'd think I'd learn.

The scary part of the metal casting scenario is that if my car had been two feet further down the road, that thing might very well have gone through the windshield.
Old 11-11-2020, 06:24 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Some agents have their heads up their a$$. Not familiar with all details of your coverage, but comprehensive and/or collision without a liability claim should not immediately increase your rates. That is why deductibles are available to minimize claims. Again I am not familiar with all your details
Old 11-11-2020, 09:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CanTex
I had a heavy chunk of metal casting (like a ball joint assembly, smaller than an alternator) fly off a truck on an angle which left a signifcant dent and scrape on the hood. I got a quote and was ready to call State Farm, asking my State Farm agent how to do it. Click Send. One breath later he called my cell and said DO NOT DO THAT! It's better to eat it than have an incident on your record, no matter how small. A reported incident could have increased my rates. He said he's deleting my e-mail and this phone call never happened. O-Kayyyy!

Actually he told me the same thing a couple of years earlier when I had a growing crack on the windshield. You'd think I'd learn.

The scary part of the metal casting scenario is that if my car had been two feet further down the road, that thing might very well have gone through the windshield.
Don't we pay insurance premiums for exactly these reasons? Friggin' insurance companies are the definition of evil.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:37 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
I don't remember windshield chips and cracks like today when I was a kid that my dad had to get repaired. Either the glass is weaker today, more vehicles are shedding debris, or the roads are worse due to our infrastructure crumbling.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:48 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gtssenior
Either the glass is weaker today, more vehicles are shedding debris, or the roads are worse due to our infrastructure crumbling.
All of the above is true. Also all high clearance cars must be required to have mud flaps. Thats how its done in Europe. We have freedom here...

Last edited by russianDude; 11-18-2020 at 06:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 07:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Don't we pay insurance premiums for exactly these reasons? Friggin' insurance companies are the definition of evil.
agree. In most insurances it will not count against you, unless you get this every month...
I pay a lot of money for insurance, I will use it
Old 11-18-2020, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Sure, except the insurance agent didn't tell him that he couldn't make the claim. He just said it would increase his premiums. He's free to disregard the insurance agent, make the claim, and receive money for it. So what is the complaint?
Old 11-18-2020, 08:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DriverOne
Sure, except the insurance agent didn't tell him that he couldn't make the claim. He just said it would increase his premiums. He's free to disregard the insurance agent, make the claim, and receive money for it. So what is the complaint?
maybe insurance agent lied about rates raising, there is no upside for insurance companies to pay any claims, they only like to collect premiums.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by russianDude
maybe insurance agent lied about rates raising, there is no upside for insurance companies to pay any claims, they only like to collect premiums.
There's nothing stopping anyone from submitting a claim ever.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:20 AM
Suzuka Master

There's nothing stopping anyone from submitting a claim ever.
yes, but he wants to know if his rates will go up. Its a good question, and I am not sure he will get an honest answer from his insurance agent
Old 11-19-2020, 06:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by russianDude
yes, but he wants to know if his rates will go up. Its a good question, and I am not sure he will get an honest answer from his insurance agent
So if his agent says that his rates will go up, then you say his agent is lying and they won't. But then if I say that he should file based on your statement that the rates won't go up, you say that his rates may go up. In other words, you're just taking both positions simultaneously solely for the purpose of being able to criticize an insurance company either way.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:10 AM
Suzuka Master

So if his agent says that his rates will go up, then you say his agent is lying and they won't. But then if I say that he should file based on your statement that the rates won't go up, you say that his rates may go up. In other words, you're just taking both positions simultaneously solely for the purpose of being able to criticize an insurance company either way.

Yes