Remote Transmitter Range?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 03:04 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Transmitter Range?

Hi All;

Was wondering what everyone's experience has been with the remote transmitter with remote start.

Most times when I try to remote start my 2020 RDX ASpec it doesn't work, the RED Led blinks meaning "Out of Range" even though I'm not more that 30 feet away.

Sequence: Press the "Lock" button on the remote then press and hold the "Engine Hold" button (Red Led blinks)

I move closer but still nothing, the vehicle is only 2 weeks old so I don't suspect the batteries are weak.

Remote start works fine through the AcuraLink App.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
it sounds like something is interfering with the remote or something with the battery, but i wouldn't think if its two weeks old the battery would cause it. According to Acuras website its 328 feet. below is what Acura states for the range. sometimes on my Acura RLX (i know not RDX) to have the car unlock or have the auto windows roll down i put the remote on the bottom of my chin and it works flawlessly. then on the other hand my wife's MDX doesn't have any issues with remote start or anything.

It’s all about comfort and convenience. With the Remote Engine Start System, you can start your car from up to 328 ft away before going outside in the cold or heat.
  • Integrated two-way remote with LED indicators let you know your vehicle’s status
  • Integrates with your vehicle’s security and immobilizer systems to ensure protection
  • Activates the Auto Climate Control setting to warm or cool your interior, depending on the temperature outside
  • Runtime of 10 minutes with the option to extend another 10 minutes
  • Includes two transmitters
  • Caution: Never start your Acura in an enclosed area as this may cause carbon monoxide build-up. Not available for manual transmission vehicles.

Last edited by Mototech22; 10-09-2019 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:57 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Sometimes this happen because one of the door is not fully shut...
Old 10-09-2019, 05:05 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by TopShelf
Was wondering what everyone's experience has been with the remote transmitter with remote start.

Most times when I try to remote start my 2020 RDX ASpec it doesn't work, the RED Led blinks meaning "Out of Range" even though I'm not more that 30 feet away..
I can consistently obtain a distance of 400 meters (1312 ft) over an open field, or anytime I have the RDX in line of sight. This measurement was confirmed by locating my RDX's position, as well as my own on Google maps.

I have also used the remote to get verification that my doors were locked, from inside many hotel rooms. When operating through the walls of steel reinforced buildings like this, the range is closer to 100 ft.

I think the red flashing light actually means that the command was not completed. For example if a door was left open you would get a red flashing light when you try to lock the doors from 10' away.

Do you experience the short range when using the door locks as well, or is it only the remote start you have a problem with.? Have you tested the range in a different location, just in case you were parked in an area with radio frequency interference (RFI) ?

Last edited by RDX-Rick; 10-09-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:39 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Sounds like the remote is not programmed correctly. Does it happen with both remotes? Has it ever worked at all?

Bring it back to the dealer.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:14 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to everyone for the comments:

It appears I wasn't operating the transmitter correctly, I was holding down on the "lock button" waiting for the green light which would never appear.

Pressing the "lock button" then quickly releasing then waiting for the green led to blink followed by a long press of the "Engine Hold" button seems go work.

I guess I was holding the lock button way too long, I watched this video which helped.

Old 10-10-2019, 10:44 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
If you hold the remote under your chin, and try to open that will give you more range, this makes your head act as a bigger antenna, this is one of those weird facts type of stuff but actually tried it and it worked.
The following users liked this post:
Funz51 (10-10-2019)