Reboot the infotainment system ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 12:58 AM
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Reboot the infotainment system ?

Is there any method to reboot the infotainment system without doing a Factory Default Reset ?
The following users liked this post:
firstacura19 (08-10-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 01:14 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Dunno if there's a fancy super-secret way to do it but in order of severity:

1) Power cycle the car

2) Disconnect / reconnect the battery
Old 07-31-2018, 01:20 AM
Instructor

I think that is pretty obvious ,, but I am talking when the Infotainment system is having some type of errors / failures while you are driving . I dont want to power cycle the car or worse disconnect the battery ...
Old 07-31-2018, 07:52 AM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
I had my system freeze a week ago, and it stayed on even after stopping the car. I would up pulling the audio fuse, under the dash in the larger fuse box, 3rd fuse from upper right. I took it in to service, of course they found nothing. Asked about a reset option, they didn’t know of one.
The following 3 users liked this post by DrWoo:
cmac1212 (08-03-2018), firstacura19 (08-10-2018), Wander (07-31-2018)
Old 07-31-2018, 11:55 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by dcmod
I think that is pretty obvious ,, but I am talking when the Infotainment system is having some type of errors / failures while you are driving . I dont want to power cycle the car or worse disconnect the battery ...
LOL. Yeah, that could be inconvenient.

But thanks to DrWoo, we know which fuse to pull at the next rest stop.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:42 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DrWoo
I had my system freeze a week ago, and it stayed on even after stopping the car. I would up pulling the audio fuse, under the dash in the larger fuse box, 3rd fuse from upper right. I took it in to service, of course they found nothing. Asked about a reset option, they didn’t know of one.
Has it frozen again since then? Did pulling the fuse erase any settings you had stored or was it effectively a soft-reset?
Old 08-02-2018, 01:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mattski
Has it frozen again since then? Did pulling the fuse erase any settings you had stored or was it effectively a soft-reset?
It has not happened since, and no settings were lost by pulling the fuse. Service and I think it was caused by some combination of the remote start, then hitting the start button after getting into car, then off (because all the fans slow down after hitting the start button after using remote start, and we though the engine stopped), then back on again while the system was booting up.

Only infotainment issue I continue to have is the “error system failure” occasionally when using the left thumb wheel to select a Sirius XM station.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I just had this happen to me today. Pulling the fuse fixed it for me too. It was one of the only 15A fuses (blue) on that fuse box.
firstacura19 (08-10-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 01:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by cmac1212
I just had this happen to me today. Pulling the fuse fixed it for me too. It was one of the only 15A fuses (blue) on that fuse box.
Curious, did you do anything odd before it happened? I think mine was related to using the remote start, then stopping and immediately starting the car after getting inside. Just wondering if there is any pattern to the issue.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:55 PM
Advanced

This is very helpful to know. Thanks to you and Dr. Woo.
Questions that remain:
1. How long will it stay fixed? Or will it require fuse to be pulled again at a later date?
2. Will future firmware update correct or is this a hardware related problem? (Hopefully the former!)
Old 08-04-2018, 07:35 AM
Cruisin'

Curious, did you do anything odd before it happened? I think mine was related to using the remote start, then stopping and immediately starting the car after getting inside. Just wondering if there is any pattern to the issue.
I didn't use remote start. I was using Apple car play to play music but wasn't interacting with the system in any way when i heard a fairly loud and obnoxious beep. This turned off my music and disconnected my phone from car play. When I would try to access even the FM radio it said it was unavailable. When i parked to try and figure it out i noticed the infotainment system was in a bad state. I could navigate through the settings but it wouldn't let me change certain settings or even do a factory reset because it thought the car was still in motion and turned on when i was parked and the car turned off. Since I couldn't do the factory reset from the interface i pulled the fuse to reset it.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
I think it's pretty obvious by now that the infotainment systems has a series of issues that has nothing to do with operational or user errors. I would strongly advise that you address this with the service department. Unless you are leasing and would rather go pull fuse to get by, addressing these issue early in your ownership is better than down the line.
Old 08-04-2018, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by mattski
This is very helpful to know. Thanks to you and Dr. Woo.
Questions that remain:
1. How long will it stay fixed? Or will it require fuse to be pulled again at a later date?
2. Will future firmware update correct or is this a hardware related problem? (Hopefully the former!)
There won't be any update if you don't let Acura know this is an issue. The car is so new, no owners here will be able to answer your question. Strongly advise you take it to service, even if they don't have a fix on the spot, they will record it and when Acura sends a fix, hopefully you will get a call from your dealer.
Old 08-04-2018, 05:28 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by acuraada
There won't be any update if you don't let Acura know this is an issue. The car is so new, no owners here will be able to answer your question. Strongly advise you take it to service, even if they don't have a fix on the spot, they will record it and when Acura sends a fix, hopefully you will get a call from your dealer.
You're absolutely right. I just sent an email to Acura Client Services (Canada in my case) with both my description of the issue and a link to this thread, which clearly shows others are experiencing the issue. I also let them know I would be happy to help provide any available debug logs from the system to assist in dealing with this bug. It's a bit of a pain in the ass and potentially a waste of time to take it into the dealer after I already, at least temporarily, resolved the issue by pulling the fuse. Hopefully my email makes it into a real case and gets properly investigated.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:06 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't use remote start. I was using Apple car play to play music but wasn't interacting with the system in any way when i heard a fairly loud and obnoxious beep. This turned off my music and disconnected my phone from car play. When I would try to access even the FM radio it said it was unavailable. When i parked to try and figure it out i noticed the infotainment system was in a bad state. I could navigate through the settings but it wouldn't let me change certain settings or even do a factory reset because it thought the car was still in motion and turned on when i was parked and the car turned off. Since I couldn't do the factory reset from the interface i pulled the fuse to reset it.
samething happened to me today, by pulling the fuse it works. Hopefully it won’t happen again.
Old 09-04-2018, 03:38 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
Suggest also emailing Acura direct with descriptions of issues like these that can’t be replicated on demand in front of a dealer service rep. If you can replicate it by doing some combo of actions then I feel like the dealer becomes more helpful and engaged in troubleshooting/reporting to Acura. If not, at best they’re a middle man potentially translating your words/description of the issue incorrectly when you show up talking about the ghost of infotainment past.
Old 09-04-2018, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I had my system freeze a week ago, and it stayed on even after stopping the car. I would up pulling the audio fuse, under the dash in the larger fuse box, 3rd fuse from upper right. I took it I had the Infotainment in to service, of course they found nothing. Asked about a reset option, they didn’t know of one.
Hi: I had the infotainment system screen fail to boot over the holiday weekend. Had the car for 2 weeks. It kept repeating the circle/starburst pattern over and over but that's it. I pulled the #37 fuse (thanks to this post) and reinserted and the system booted and it had saved all the settings. It has not happened again yet, although I notice sometimes it boots up faster than other times for no specific reason. Hopefully, there will be a downloadable update to the system?
Old 09-04-2018, 12:00 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Once again I re-iterate that my Advance has been in service two weeks today with a laundry list of things that have to be fixed. They still cannot address some of the issues as of yet even after replacing the system completely. I refuse to take my vehicle back until they address all of the problems I listed for them.

Here is a rundown:

Infotainment system has shut off on two occasions while driving. I was required to pull over, turn off the car and restart in order for the system to come back.

Infotainment system has locked up completely and the disclaimer screen stayed on even after turning off the vehicle

Infotainment system has flickered on a few occasions while driving. This usually occurs when you drive past a body of water or an airport and is very distracting.

If Radio is selected as the audio source, sometimes it will not come on when starting the vehicle and says "Loading", but never comes up. This requires you to either change the source to another audio source and then back to radio or turn off the system and then back on

'System Error - Function Not Available’ message pops up intermittently when trying to change channels using the left hand dial control on the wheel.

When sending directions from the Acuralink app to the vehicle, the vehicle has to be on always.

When sending a map via the Acuralink app, the first attempt will always end in the system reporting that the "Route Calculation Failed". You are then required to redo the attempt sometimes one or two times to get the directions to appear with no errors.

USB audio will sometimes refuse to load or will stop working while driving. This requires a reset of the system.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:52 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Wife's RDX had the same issue with lockup, happened on Day 2, right after we used remote start for the first time, took video with phone for Service Rep, it appears to me to be linked to remote start.

Pulling fuse corrected issue for now, have not tried remote start again.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 125 Posts
We have used the remote start without any infotainment issues so may be something more random.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:56 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TheFidge
Hi: I had the infotainment system screen fail to boot over the holiday weekend. Had the car for 2 weeks. It kept repeating the circle/starburst pattern over and over but that's it. I pulled the #37 fuse (thanks to this post) and reinserted and the system booted and it had saved all the settings. It has not happened again yet, although I notice sometimes it boots up faster than other times for no specific reason. Hopefully, there will be a downloadable update to the system?
Actually, for the sake of gathering information, I had tried the "car finder" feature of the AcuraLink app from my iPhone at about the time this happened, because my wife went shopping with the car and I was starting to worry ; BUT don't know if the system failed before or after I tried the "car finder".
Old 09-04-2018, 07:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by craigse2006
My Wife's RDX had the same issue with lockup, happened on Day 2, right after we used remote start for the first time, took video with phone for Service Rep, it appears to me to be linked to remote start.

Pulling fuse corrected issue for now, have not tried remote start again.
That is exactly when it happened for us, the first time we used remote start on the phone app. I did accidentally stop and then quickly restart the engine after I got into the car, and that is when it locked up. It hasn't happened again.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
I've used the remote start, car finder, lock and unlock functions from the app and had no issues with the app functioning as it should or anything else with the vehicle unrelated to what I was intending to do.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
It has not happened since, and no settings were lost by pulling the fuse. Service and I think it was caused by some combination of the remote start, then hitting the start button after getting into car, then off (because all the fans slow down after hitting the start button after using remote start, and we though the engine stopped), then back on again while the system was booting up.

Only infotainment issue I continue to have is the “error system failure” occasionally when using the left thumb wheel to select a Sirius XM station.
I've had this happen a few times, which can get annoying. I usually have to toggle between another mode and it'll work. Along with that, I've had the volume not work upon starting to the car and I have to do the same thing. Just yesterday I did have a first time issue with CarPlay: It seemed to freeze when I was playing with Spotify and I had to disconnect my phone, toggle between modes and reconnect and it was fine.

I'm not sure how many issues with the infotainment are enough to take it into service; I have a feeling they're not going to really do anything to fix it (or if they even have a fix). So I just sit, and wait, and toggle haha
Old 09-14-2018, 12:26 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by _korangar
I've had this happen a few times, which can get annoying. I usually have to toggle between another mode and it'll work. Along with that, I've had the volume not work upon starting to the car and I have to do the same thing. Just yesterday I did have a first time issue with CarPlay: It seemed to freeze when I was playing with Spotify and I had to disconnect my phone, toggle between modes and reconnect and it was fine.

I'm not sure how many issues with the infotainment are enough to take it into service; I have a feeling they're not going to really do anything to fix it (or if they even have a fix). So I just sit, and wait, and toggle haha
until they release a software update, IMPO, taking it into the dealer is a waste of your time unless you feel the need to document your issue and, on a new 2019 vehicle, you’re protected anyway. The answer will be an OTA update from Acura and we all just need to be patient as it will happen but may not all happen at once. Been there...done that.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:57 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Meto
Once again I re-iterate that my Advance has been in service two weeks today with a laundry list of things that have to be fixed. They still cannot address some of the issues as of yet even after replacing the system completely. I refuse to take my vehicle back until they address all of the problems I listed for them.

Here is a rundown:

Infotainment system has shut off on two occasions while driving. I was required to pull over, turn off the car and restart in order for the system to come back.

Infotainment system has locked up completely and the disclaimer screen stayed on even after turning off the vehicle

Infotainment system has flickered on a few occasions while driving. This usually occurs when you drive past a body of water or an airport and is very distracting.

If Radio is selected as the audio source, sometimes it will not come on when starting the vehicle and says "Loading", but never comes up. This requires you to either change the source to another audio source and then back to radio or turn off the system and then back on

'System Error - Function Not Available’ message pops up intermittently when trying to change channels using the left hand dial control on the wheel.

When sending directions from the Acuralink app to the vehicle, the vehicle has to be on always.

When sending a map via the Acuralink app, the first attempt will always end in the system reporting that the "Route Calculation Failed". You are then required to redo the attempt sometimes one or two times to get the directions to appear with no errors.

USB audio will sometimes refuse to load or will stop working while driving. This requires a reset of the system.
I've had this precise issue: If Radio is selected as the audio source, sometimes it will not come on when starting the vehicle and says "Loading", but never comes up. This requires you to either change the source to another audio source and then back to radio or turn off the system and then back on

Any update on what happened? Can you reboot the infotainment unit from the menus?
Old 10-15-2018, 12:57 PM
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts
Happened to me this morning - total failure of system

This morning i was taking my parents to the airport and had Google Maps running and Apple Music playing via CarPlay (which is so buggy i am considering not using it - iOS 12.0.1) when I made a phone call through the system. Immediately after hanging up the call I noticed music was not playing and the CarPlay symbol on the Acura home screen was dimmed. I unplugged and plugged back in the phone and it gave an error stating CarPlay not available. Switched to SiriusXM and it says "Check Tuner", switched to FM radio & it said "Radio unavailable". On top of that the stock navigation was shaking and spinning constantly. When I parked at my office I exited the vehicle and locked the car only to find the screen does not turn off.

Thankfully I found this thread, pulled the fuse and it seems to have reset itself - though I didnt drive the car at all since.

Two things:
1. I called Orange County Acura and spoke to service who told me there is no way to hard reset the system - I absolutely do not believe that - and the person on the phone said i should bring it in where I am almost certain they will say "everything looks fine" like shady dealerships always do. This is not my first terrible experience with this dealership and I am looking to take the car in for service elsewhere even though the next nearest dealer is about 20 miles away, and this one is about 2.

2 Does anyone think this system is some sort of a half baked, half-assed feeble attempt and a modern auto tech system? Having this many issue w/the car in the first two weeks puts me at a bit of unease but we will see what happens...Its not like I can return the car at this point, but if i could I would definitely consider it.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by knakane
This morning i was taking my parents to the airport and had Google Maps running and Apple Music playing via CarPlay (which is so buggy i am considering not using it - iOS 12.0.1) when I made a phone call through the system. Immediately after hanging up the call I noticed music was not playing and the CarPlay symbol on the Acura home screen was dimmed. I unplugged and plugged back in the phone and it gave an error stating CarPlay not available. Switched to SiriusXM and it says "Check Tuner", switched to FM radio & it said "Radio unavailable". On top of that the stock navigation was shaking and spinning constantly. When I parked at my office I exited the vehicle and locked the car only to find the screen does not turn off.

Thankfully I found this thread, pulled the fuse and it seems to have reset itself - though I didnt drive the car at all since.

Two things:
1. I called Orange County Acura and spoke to service who told me there is no way to hard reset the system - I absolutely do not believe that - and the person on the phone said i should bring it in where I am almost certain they will say "everything looks fine" like shady dealerships always do. This is not my first terrible experience with this dealership and I am looking to take the car in for service elsewhere even though the next nearest dealer is about 20 miles away, and this one is about 2.

2 Does anyone think this system is some sort of a half baked, half-assed feeble attempt and a modern auto tech system? Having this many issue w/the car in the first two weeks puts me at a bit of unease but we will see what happens...Its not like I can return the car at this point, but if i could I would definitely consider it.
It's not just your dealer that is clueless. I had to bring my car in for another unrelated issue, and although very nice otherwise, the service person that spoke to me said he had never heard of the infotainment issue when I brought it up. I said "you will" Hopefully Acura will send an update out when they de-bug the various issues with this thing.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Just my two cents...we ALL know that there are issues with the infotainment system so no one should be surprised. I don't think we need member after member after member reporting their unhappiness and bashing the dealer or Acura. It is what it is and Acura will send out an update once it's available. Totall out of our control and your dealers control. They know about the issues are are working on a fix based on what other members have stated. I do empathize with the folks having issues and do believe that it is a combination of things going on in the head unit that causes it to take a crap. I have owned by RDX now for 41 days and have no issues at all with my infotainment but not to say that it won't if I run "this" while trying to do "that". Many of us are very frustrated with different aspects of this vehicle but we all bought a first year vehicle too. Not to say that Acura should have done a better job at vetting the software but I am confident it will get resolved but it may take some time.
DHood (10-16-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 09:52 PM
Instructor

Youtube video on How to Reboot Infotainment without pulling fuse :::
The following 5 users liked this post by dcmod:
DHood (11-14-2018), Donald Hubbard (11-14-2018), Gate 17 (11-14-2018), salty (04-30-2019), STL_MO (03-08-2019)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:38 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dcmod
Youtube video on How to Reboot Infotainment without pulling fuse :::https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7uLCjHK-cU
Thanks so much for posting. I wish Acura Corporate could have explained that to me when I called them freaking out on Labor Day weekend...,...
Old 12-01-2018, 08:01 PM
Intermediate

This worked on my hung system. After reboot the radios were not found. So I went back into Hardware Auto-Detect and the radios were found. Another reboot and I was back in action. Thanks so much for this tip!
Old 12-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TheFidge
Thanks so much for posting. I wish Acura Corporate could have explained that to me when I called them freaking out on Labor Day weekend...,...
They probably do not know about this.....
Old 01-03-2019, 07:07 AM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had the lockup again yesterday. I think it is related to the remote start. I also think I may have found another way to get out of the lockup (besides the nice video above).
The reason I think it has something to do with the remote start is:
2 times now - both where I get into the car while still running from the remote start.
You'll notice that the car in this mode keeps the infotainment console off.
Getting in and pressing the Start button when it is already running is a different kind of special wake-up transition without an engine start.
I think there is something buggy that is timing related to the wake-up process.

Anyway, here's the order of activity as best as I can recall:
  1. Remote start car with Acuralink
  2. Get in car and quickly press the Start dashboard button (with brake applied)
  3. Put in drive quickly
  4. Infotainment never displays
  5. Stop car
  6. Open and close driver door
  7. Start car
  8. Infotainment still doesn't start
  9. Stop car
So that got me into the locked out black screen. Then I tried this and it worked...
  1. While sitting in the car, open the Acuralink app (on Android for me)
  2. Select the Stop button in the Engine section
  3. Enter passcode
  4. It thought about it for several seconds and indicated that the car was now stopped (it already was)
  5. I started the car using the Start button on the car's dash.
  6. Infotainment started up normally
Curious to find out if this was a fluke for me or if others can reproduce this.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:53 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome, thank you for sharing!
Old 02-15-2019, 11:42 AM
1st Gear

Arrow

Hey. I just got my RDX 2019 here in Mexico, and I had the exact same thing happen to me (carplay, loud beep, no carplay, no radio, no bluetooth). Since pulling the fuse to reset it, have you had the same issue happen again?
Old 03-03-2019, 12:06 PM
10th Gear

Ok. Now I am getting mad. My display was stuck again (after using remote start....) with the blue disclaimer screen.

So, I'm thinking, I've got a few ways to fix this like I have done before.

However, this time none of them worked.

I tried the 3 finger solute reboot. That didn't ever get me the reboot screen. I think I saw someplace that the latest OTA update took that option away. I have the latest OTA update.

I tried the stopping the car using the remote stop car action (that I posted about above). No change.

I tried pulling the fuse (15 amp in the Audio postion). Put it back in. That made the disclaimer screen go away. Yay!

But wait, I start the car and now the screen is black and never wakes up. Pull the fuse and look at it through a light. It is not blown.

Put it back in again and still nothing.

So crap. Now I have to take the car in to service. Couldn't happen at a worst time. I am going on a trip early tomorrow (Monday) and need to drive this car.
Now I get the privilege of no GPS or Audio books or sat radio for the duration of my 3 day trip.

Thanks Acura! Time to get your act together and give this freaking higher priority and get it fixed. Please.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jkminer
Ok. Now I am getting mad. My display was stuck again (after using remote start....) with the blue disclaimer screen.

So, I'm thinking, I've got a few ways to fix this like I have done before.

However, this time none of them worked.

I tried the 3 finger solute reboot. That didn't ever get me the reboot screen. I think I saw someplace that the latest OTA update took that option away. I have the latest OTA update.

I tried the stopping the car using the remote stop car action (that I posted about above). No change.

I tried pulling the fuse (15 amp in the Audio postion). Put it back in. That made the disclaimer screen go away. Yay!

But wait, I start the car and now the screen is black and never wakes up. Pull the fuse and look at it through a light. It is not blown.

Put it back in again and still nothing.

So crap. Now I have to take the car in to service. Couldn't happen at a worst time. I am going on a trip early tomorrow (Monday) and need to drive this car.
Now I get the privilege of no GPS or Audio books or sat radio for the duration of my 3 day trip.

Thanks Acura! Time to get your act together and give this freaking higher priority and get it fixed. Please.
It may work again Monday when you go on your trip. Happened to me also. Went to work pissed that it was blank [yet, the back-up camera worked] Started car after work, it booted like "normal" I agree, this is getting really frustrating......;
Old 03-03-2019, 04:59 PM
10th Gear

Well well... After letting it sit for a few hours I went back and just like you had happen, all is working again.

I would have discovered this tomorrow morning but now I can stop stewing about it.

Thanks.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:00 PM
3rd Gear

Same thing happened to my RDX as well. And I couldn't turn off the system, I couldn't do anything and unfortunately I wasn't aware about the three button system reboot as well. So I just turned the display off from the setting menu and turned off the car. Will try this three button reboot in the evening today. Hope this works.

Quick Reply: Reboot the infotainment system ?