Push Button Drive Mode selector?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Push Button Drive Mode selector?

I saw a brief video (not sure where) of the new TLX showing the driver pushing what looks like our drive mode knob. THIS would be very nice, if we could have this!
Old 09-30-2020, 11:41 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Not really sure what you mean. Is it a knob or a button? One you turn and the other you press.

If you tend to drive in one mode most or all of the time, it doesn't make much sense to have that HUGE knob take of so much real estate on the dash.I think Acura's thinking was, the drive mode selector is meant to be used. A LOT!! And that's why they made it such a prominent feature. I didn't at first but I've gotten in the habit of using it quite a bit.

Either way, they're not going to change it now, not 'til the next gen at least. One thing about the mode selector is it's sequential. They could theoretically add driving modes via software updates. They couldn't do that if they had dedicated buttons. Isn't there something in a concept car or maybe the NSX they call Ludicrous Mode? Sort of rings a bell.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 09-30-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
If you tend to drive in one mode most or all of the time, it doesn't make much sense to have that HUGE knob take of so much real estate on the dash.I think Acura's thinking was, the drive mode selector is meant to be used. A LOT!! And that's why they made it such a prominent feature. I didn't at first but I've gotten in the habit of using it quite a bit.
The cheesy sound that it makes when turned is a huge turn off for me and keeps me from ever using it. Likewise the cheesy sounds (slight less cheesy than the drive selector knob sound) when navigating the infotainment system also keeps me from using that. I sometimes wonder who these companies put in charge of designing this stuff. There's an infinite universe of sounds they can choose from and yet this is what the team came up with.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:36 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
I know this is an RDX forum but I saw a photo of that dreaded touch pad on the new TLX. Some higher-ups at Acura thinks that's a good thing so they're propagating it to all their models. Well, if they do, we're going to have to open up my next-car list to other brands. Sad. Marketing still rules.

Oh and that big knob to change driving modes - I'm sure only a small percentage of RDX buyers actually use it. Too bad that area couldn't have been dedicated to something people might actually find useful. Sigh...

Last edited by CanTex; 09-30-2020 at 02:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 02:38 PM
Drifting

Sorry...what I saw was a driver pushing what looked to be a similar size and shape to our knob...like pushing the center of it. It would likely be much easier to change drive modes this way. It is also possible that I mistook what I saw.

Wish I could find it again. If I do, I will try to post it.
Old 09-30-2020, 03:44 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Sorry...what I saw was a driver pushing what looked to be a similar size and shape to our knob...like pushing the center of it. It would likely be much easier to change drive modes this way. It is also possible that I mistook what I saw.

Wish I could find it again. If I do, I will try to post it.
See Alex on Autos at the 12:18 point. What I saw was in fact a push of what looks like our mode selector knob, The push selects the individual mode!
Wouldn't that be nice!

Old 09-30-2020, 04:24 PM
Retired Geezer

Received 128 Likes on 84 Posts
JB, as usual you are right. This Canadian Acura video explains the whole newer drive mode system on the TLX. Superior to ours in a number of ways.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:31 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by CanTex
I know this is an RDX forum but I saw a photo of that dreaded touch pad on the new TLX. Some higher-ups at Acura thinks that's a good thing so they're propagating it to all their models. Well, if they do, we're going to have to open up my next-car list to other brands. Sad. Marketing still rules.

Oh and that big knob to change driving modes - I'm sure only a small percentage of RDX buyers actually use it. Too bad that area couldn't have been dedicated to something people might actually find useful. Sigh...
I whole heartedly agree; that's prime real estate that got taken up by a ginormous drive mode knob that gets used how many times a year?
Old 09-30-2020, 05:18 PM
Drifting

[QUOTE=4th Acura;16636750]JB, as usual you are right. This Canadian Acura video explains the whole newer drive mode system on the TLX. Superior to ours in a number of ways.
/QUOTE]
Not usual, just ask my wife!

That video gives a better explanation. Yes, I wish our RDXs had that superior capability! Maybe it means that Acura is listening? We were the beta testers, as several have mentioned.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:19 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
I whole heartedly agree; that's prime real estate that got taken up by a ginormous drive mode knob that gets used how many times a year?
It's happened more than once, and even by the wifey, that someone will hear a song they like playing and go to turn up the volume, and suddenly we're in Sport+ mode, hurdling thru the space-time continuum ... at least, that's how Acura marketing would like you to think switching drive modes feels like.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 06:00 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
A simple rocker switch to step up or down through the driving modes would make more sense and take less space than that humongous knob. Just think how many more cup holders we could have.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:39 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
A simple rocker switch to step up or down through the driving modes would make more sense and take less space than that humongous knob. Just think how many more cup holders we could have.
Get rid of the giant knob, move the HVAC controls down, and you can relocate and enlarge the infotainment screen and make it touch sensitive. Then you can use the touchpad if you want, or use the touchscreen if you want, just like with Mercedes's MBUX system. No need for it to be either or, and everyone's happy.
JB in AZ (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 07:14 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
It's happened more than once, and even by the wifey, that someone will hear a song they like playing and go to turn up the volume, and suddenly we're in Sport+ mode.
My wife equates the knob to our LG washing machine. When I turn it once to the right after being in Comfort Mode, she's all "Oh yea - extra spin."
Waetherman (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 12:23 AM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
The cheesy sound that it makes when turned is a huge turn off for me and keeps me from ever using it. Likewise the cheesy sounds (slight less cheesy than the drive selector knob sound) when navigating the infotainment system also keeps me from using that. I sometimes wonder who these companies put in charge of designing this stuff. There's an infinite universe of sounds they can choose from and yet this is what the team came up with.
I agree on the infotainment sounds. You can turn them off in the settings. It was one of the first things I did.
Old 10-01-2020, 02:09 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
“Individual Mode” (which is what pushing the button activates) seems like it should’ve been something included in RDX in the first place. I wonder if it’s possible to have the performance of Sport+ but the engine sound of Comfort. That would be nice. I suppose it would be possible to update via software but I doubt that will happen.

More than the push-button mode selector though, I’m envious of the volume knob next to the trackpad. The placement of the one in the RDX has always seemed incongruous, like it was an afterthought. The new placement is much more intuitive.

Last edited by Waetherman; 10-01-2020 at 02:13 AM.
JB in AZ (10-01-2020)
Old 10-01-2020, 08:54 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Get rid of the giant knob, move the HVAC controls down, and you can relocate and enlarge the infotainment screen and make it touch sensitive. Then you can use the touchpad if you want, or use the touchscreen if you want, just like with Mercedes's MBUX system. No need for it to be either or, and everyone's happy.
I use the touchpad with about 95% accuracy, but it I think it takes a bit longer to accomplish my goal...when I drive my wife's new CR-V occasionally on weekends, the touchscreen just seems more familiar. AND I truly doubt that the touchpad keeps driver's eyes on the road more, but who knows? Giving the driver the option really seems like the best choice.

My point of this thread, was the push button drive mode selector, and now that I have more clarity, I like it even more. Many of us have lamented the lack of any personal tuning, if you will, of the drive modes. Like I said earlier, this RDX was like the Beta version, and they have made some upgrades on the new TLX. We all know this is constant in the automotive world, as they always want buyers to upgrade to the newest and greatest every few years. I would bet the midcycle RDX will have this functionality. This just might be a reason for me to lease going forward?

I also agree with you that the whole center stack is a mess, and takes up too much room with their big knob. The volume knob? Eh..I almost always. use the switch on the steering wheel.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 10-01-2020 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CanTex
to me it's the opposite. i feel like that location is pretty inconvenient. the knob is just outside of range of my arm while sitting back. i have to lean forward to be able to turn the knob. sometimes i want to switch back and forth between modes repeatedly, and its very inconvenient to do so.
i wish the mode selector was closer, like where the touchpad is. but i wouldn't put anything frequently used in its place. i don't think it's prime usable real estate at all (but aesthetically it is prime).