Please explain to me.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019 | 07:40 PM
Advanced

Please explain to me.....

..... why my wife’s 2018 CRV (Honda Motor Corporation) purchased March 2018 works flawlessly with Apple Carplay (especially Waze) but my 2019 RDX (again Honda Motor Corporation) purchased July 2019 keeps disconnecting Apple Carplay (especially Waze)? I have just about had it! And after 14 months of waiting all they fix with the most recent update is the f’ing clock!
Old 09-24-2019 | 08:18 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RDXguy
..... why my wife’s 2018 CRV (Honda Motor Corporation) purchased March 2018 works flawlessly with Apple Carplay (especially Waze) but my 2019 RDX (again Honda Motor Corporation) purchased July 2019 keeps disconnecting Apple Carplay (especially Waze)? I have just about had it! And after 14 months of waiting all they fix with the most recent update is the f’ing clock!
It’s a totally different infotainment system that they got wrong big time, trying everything that’s cheap to fix rather than going back to the drawing board and replacing it but that’s going to cost them lots of $$$$$ evaporating lots of profit. It’s always about the money.
The following users liked this post:
jonarogers (09-26-2019)
Old 09-24-2019 | 11:05 PM
Drifting

Yeah, there's no way Acura is gonna pay to replace the core infotainment system hardware on 10's of thousands of vehicles, unless someone bigger and badder tells them they have to.

Current strategy seems focussed on placating us with promises of a "pending" software update that will magically fix everything. When it happens.

The mechanical engineers did their part. The car drives great, aside from some transmission glitches that may be software related.

Dunno if this is a problem of Acura going with the lowest bidder for custom electronics, or different contractors not playing nicely with each other, or what.

But I'm glad the CR-V's system works well, cuz I bought one for my spoiled daughter, and I know who SHE would blame if it didn't work right...
The following 2 users liked this post by Wander:
jonarogers (10-28-2019), justnspace (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019 | 11:13 PM

lmao! at dad taking the heat.

I know forums are a place to complain, but some of y'all act like y'all were born yesterday with purchasing vehicles.
1st gen vehicles will always have their quirks and flaws and "the gotta have it's" will always pay this price.
gatrhumpy (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019 | 12:51 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by justnspace

I know forums are a place to complain, but some of y'all act like y'all were born yesterday with purchasing vehicles.
1st gen vehicles will always have their quirks and flaws and "the gotta have it's" will always pay this price.
The issue is that most other manufactures in this segment would own up to the issue and (eventually) fix them. I’ve never experienced a dealer or car company heem and haw and try to wiggle out of taking responsibility for defects like Acura has. Hell, when I went to get my key replaced because it stopped working (under warranty mind you) they refused because they couldn’t establish that it wasn’t dropped at some point and that’s what may have caused it to stop working. Mind you I’ve never dropped it, but I guess that’s how they treat their customers. Good luck getting any resolution on the infotainment woes (or god forbid anything more serious). It took several class action lawsuits before Honda owned up to the well-document block cracking issue in the early R18 Civic motors, and that was for a serious mechanical problem. Something less critical like an infotainment system? I’m not holding my breath on a fix for that.
Old 09-25-2019 | 01:07 AM
Suzuka Master

I mean yes and no. Yes first year models of a new generation are normally more prone to glitches and bugs, but NO that doesn't mean that because it's expected it should be ok. Acura should have had the bugs taken care of WAY BACK, not to mention AA should have been on there already. It's been over a year, if I spent that much on my car only to have that many problems, I'd be absolutely fuming.
Meto (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019 | 07:11 AM

It's been over a year, if I spent that much on my car only to have that many problems, I'd be absolutely fuming.

and that's why you're smarter than that.

as "The gotta have it's" WILL always pay this price.

no one forces you to buy the latest and greatest shiny new toy.

especially one that cost upwards of $40k

Last edited by justnspace; 09-25-2019 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-25-2019 | 07:29 AM
Advanced

and that's why you're smarter than that.

as "The gotta have it's" WILL always pay this price.

no one forces you to buy the latest and greatest shiny new toy.

especially one that cost upwards of $40k
I am far from a “gotta have it”. My RDX replaced an 8 year old BMW that I ONLY sold because it was getting way too expensive to keep. I evaluated all of the similar sized SUVs on the market and felt that the Acura had the best combination of performance, quality, value and luxury. I also had always believed that unlike American and some German cars, Japanese cars were essentially made correctly year one.
Old 09-25-2019 | 07:31 AM

except Acura hasnt had the very best track record going on 10 years now..
perhaps even longer.

still, no one forced you to buy the all new RDX.
which cost upwards of $40k.
with an ALL new structure, an all new engine. an all new dash/infotainment center.

what do i know? i'm just a pleb that holds onto my 13 year old used car

Last edited by justnspace; 09-25-2019 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-25-2019 | 07:48 AM

perhaps, should have gotten the CRV instead of the RDX
Old 09-25-2019 | 08:59 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

except Acura hasnt had the very best track record going on 10 years now..
perhaps even longer.

still, no one forced you to buy the all new RDX.
which cost upwards of $40k.
with an ALL new structure, an all new engine. an all new dash/infotainment center.

what do i know? i'm just a pleb that holds onto my 13 year old used car
Sheesh. Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning?

It isn't that there are new model glitches, but that Acura is unwilling/unable to take responsibility for said glitches. Acura has made far too many promises (map updates, AA) that they completely ignored.
Old 09-25-2019 | 09:28 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

You should make a list of date, what you were doing, and conditions of what was going on when CarPlay was disconnected from the car. That would help try to see a pattern.
Old 09-25-2019 | 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by ceb
Sheesh. Who pissed in your Wheaties this morning?

It isn't that there are new model glitches, but that Acura is unwilling/unable to take responsibility for said glitches. Acura has made far too many promises (map updates, AA) that they completely ignored.

why was the lemon law created?
because since the beginning of time, auto manufactures werent willing to take responsibility for their bad products.

All i'm saying is that; since the beginning of time, people have been burned and will continue to get burned by auto purchases. it's nothing new.
ceb (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019 | 11:48 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

why was the lemon law created?
because since the beginning of time, auto manufactures werent willing to take responsibility for their bad products.

All i'm saying is that; since the beginning of time, people have been burned and will continue to get burned by auto purchases. it's nothing new.
Agreed. Everyone who has a significant issue with the car (not the annoyances of CarPlay or rattles, but solid infotainment crashes that take out the instruments) should report the issue to NHTSA
Old 09-25-2019 | 12:20 PM
Pro

So you do not even own a 3rd gen RDX. You should keep your mouth shut then as well as others that chime in and do not own one either.
Old 09-25-2019 | 12:22 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
You should make a list of date, what you were doing, and conditions of what was going on when CarPlay was disconnected from the car. That would help try to see a pattern.
Give us a break.
For_fun206 (09-27-2019)
Old 09-25-2019 | 12:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Sounds like a full time job. Maybe Acura should hire a few people to do just that.
Meto (09-25-2019)
Old 09-25-2019 | 01:24 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Wander
Yeah, there's no way Acura is gonna pay to replace the core infotainment system hardware on 10's of thousands of vehicles, unless someone bigger and badder tells them they have to.
The only function of the infotainment system that is required by federal law is the backup camera. Honda could be required to provide a no-cost fix for 10 years from the date of manufacture if there were hardware problems that kept the backup camera from operating properly. None of the other functions are required to work beyond the warranty period or that connect to third-party devices.

Last edited by zroger73; 09-25-2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 09-25-2019 | 02:10 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zroger73
The only function of the infotainment system that is required by federal law is the backup camera. Honda could be required to provide a no-cost fix for 10 years from the date of manufacture if there were hardware problems that kept the backup camera from operating properly. None of the other functions are required to work beyond the warranty period or that connect to third-party devices.
Exactly.. They did not consider the infotainment system issues to be "safety related" and thus my arguments went no where with any legal entity. But, when the vehicle would suddenly throw up a collision warning and hit the brakes, I had a leg to stand on and therefore was able to get my buyback that way
Old 09-25-2019 | 02:22 PM
Drifting

IIRC there have been a few reports of dashboard displays being disabled when the infotainment system crashes. ( Speedometer, warning lights, etc ). That would be safety related. The audio entertainment system, not so much.
Old 09-25-2019 | 02:39 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

IIRC there have been a few reports of dashboard displays being disabled when the infotainment system crashes. ( Speedometer, warning lights, etc ). That would be safety related. The audio entertainment system, not so much.
Right. Those should be reported to NHTSA
Old 09-26-2019 | 03:22 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tecwerks
So you do not even own a 3rd gen RDX. You should keep your mouth shut then as well as others that chime in and do not own one either.
Great attitude! Maybe some people don't own them because we did a test drive or we read a post by a current owner who had a problem with the car. This site is awesome because people come here to share opinions. Sorry if you don't like or agree with an opinion but that is your problem and not ours. I have owned only Acura since 1988. I would love to buy an RDX, but after a test drive (which was excellent) and doing research (not so excellent) I am waiting for Acura to get their sh*t together and fix the obvious infotainment issues that have been a significant PITA for many owners. AA was announced as a feature of the vehicle....so was a system that does not crash or not completely function. So far Acura has yet to deliver on that. You don't need to own something to have an opinion about it.
Old 09-26-2019 | 03:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Oh....and Meto, "how do you like your new ride!?"
Old 09-26-2019 | 07:02 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by quantum7
Great attitude! Maybe some people don't own them because we did a test drive or we read a post by a current owner who had a problem with the car. This site is awesome because people come here to share opinions. Sorry if you don't like or agree with an opinion but that is your problem and not ours. I have owned only Acura since 1988. I would love to buy an RDX, but after a test drive (which was excellent) and doing research (not so excellent) I am waiting for Acura to get their sh*t together and fix the obvious infotainment issues that have been a significant PITA for many owners. AA was announced as a feature of the vehicle....so was a system that does not crash or not completely function. So far Acura has yet to deliver on that. You don't need to own something to have an opinion about it.
What's funny is that he ragged on a moderator - those guys that moderate many of the sub forums here.

Like you, I'm here because I was interested in the RDX as a replacement for my TSX wagon - but it ain't going to happen unless Acura steps up.
Old 09-27-2019 | 09:16 AM
Advanced

...I guess my decision (really the wife's since it is her car) to buy an MDX instead may have been the right one...…………

Truly sorry to see this is still going on as I really like the RDX. Was thinking about getting one for myself next year. I guess I'll continue to wait.
quantum7 (09-27-2019)
Old 09-28-2019 | 10:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by tecwerks
Lol what a clown. Grow up a little bit champ.
Old 10-03-2019 | 01:08 PM
Racer

Oh....and Meto, "how do you like your new ride!?"
I like it very much Thank You.. Very comfortable and the amenities you get for the price cannot be beat. Have taken it on a few driving trips already and they have been completely "Bug Free". The Infotainment system, climate control and transmission have been the shining stars on this vehicle. It also is a looker and have had a lot of people ask me about it at work and a few places we stopped during trips.
The following 2 users liked this post by Meto:
quantum7 (10-03-2019), zroger73 (10-03-2019)
Old 10-03-2019 | 08:05 PM
Racer

Current strategy seems focussed on placating us with promises of a "pending" software update that will magically fix everything. When it happens.

The mechanical engineers did their part. The car drives great, aside from some transmission glitches that may be software related.

Dunno if this is a problem of Acura going with the lowest bidder for custom electronics, or different contractors not playing nicely with each other, or what.

But I'm glad the CR-V's system works well, cuz I bought one for my spoiled daughter, and I know who SHE would blame if it didn't work right...
I think it is really as simple as the infotainment system was not ready for prime time in June, 2018 and Acura did not want to hold up the release of the car to resolve the infotainment problems and shortcomings (e.g. Android support) which I am sure they knew about when they felt the rest of the car was ready to go to market.
Old 10-25-2019 | 10:14 PM
Advanced

I'll try to stay off my soapdish as much as I can while giving my take on this, because I haven't taken delivery of my 2020 RDX Advance SH-AWD yet - that comes Monday - but this draws STRONG parallels to how it was when I bought my last car.. a 2011 Ford Edge Limited. At the time, this was a refresh that had heavily redesigned electronics and a brand new infotainment system called MyFord Touch (aka Sync 2). It was... well, to be diplomatic, not well received. If you were to look at the forums it looked every bit as horrifying as some of the stories I see here. With the same sense of disbelief about how a company could possibly not catch these problems and how slow they are to respond with fixes, etc. Personally, I never had THAT many problems with the system, but it certainly had it's moments where you had to pull over and cycle the car off and back on. It was actually built on Windows CE / Windows Mobile - the OLD windows mobile like the smartphones you used to carry around 10 years ago.

In the end, Ford took until ~2013/2014 to stabilize the infotainment system. I'm knowingly jumping back into the fray with this Acura infotainment system because 1) I've lived this before and 2) the other main contender I would have bought was a Santa Fe Limited, which would have had a stable infotainment system but bad turbo lag and it felt like more of a risk long term. So in other words, I could not get the "perfect" candidate vehicle. RDX drove better but had questionable infotainment, Santa Fe had good infotainment but questionable driving characteristics. Anything else having the features I wanted would have cost me $8k+ above the Acura.

I suspect the answer is that Acura - like many manufacturers - outsourced development of the infotainment system to a company that probably outsourced it again to mercenary developers. There's an incredible amount of QA involved in these releases, despite the bugs that make you think the contrary. I work at a (non-automotive) company that has hundreds of devs and I know many of them are far removed from the users who actually use the product day-to-day and also, engineers don't always make the best designers. And, every time they go to fix stuff and do a release it's money, and corralling resources. That's not to apologize for Acura, they certainly could have done better with this. But in the end I chose the car that drove better and my hope is that even if it takes awhile, Acura will eventually iron out most / all of the major usability issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ender519:
Cuzz (10-26-2019), JB in AZ (10-25-2019)
Old 10-25-2019 | 11:30 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ender519
..MyFord Touch (aka Sync 2). It was... well, to be diplomatic, not well received.....

Welcome, and I must say, that is an awesome first post!

I also have a lot of experience with the much maligned MyFord Touch...aka Sync 2, having owned two Fords with it, and, in fact, my wife's current car ('15 escape Titanium) has it.

We never had the issues that it was beat up over, and I have not experienced the issues with my RDX's system either. Waiting on Android Auto, by my work-around is fine for now.

Like you, and many other's here, I love the way the RDX drives, feels, and performs. I suspect Acura will eventually find the right software fix, as did Ford with Sync 2 (If I am not mistaken, we had some updates from Ford with Sync 2)

IMHO, Best vehicle for the money compared with the "others"