Piped in engine noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 02:52 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Piped in engine noise?

Am I correct in thinking that the engine noise is not piped into the cabin when you are in Comfort mode but it is in sport and sport-plus? Maybe my hearing is getting a little iffy at 63 years old but I cannot tell any difference in normal driving of engine noise between comfort and Sport Plus modes? What is the perceived difference?
Old 02-29-2020, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
My understanding the noise is piped in whenever the turbo is activated. The amount of noise is dependant on the amount of turbo AND what drive mode you are in.
When the turbo light turns red you can hear the noise. The larger the red light is the louder the noise. If in Sport it is loader than when in Normal.
Turn on the Turbo light and you will see a correlation.

I do not like the noise.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:42 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks.... I went out and played with it and I agree sport mode is slightly louder but you really have to kind of be stepping on it in my opinion. Living in a small town in rural Wisconsin may be a little boring but we don't have to drive like race car drivers like they seem to have to in the big cities. When I see some of the bad mileage numbers that people are posting I can't help but think they aren't into that throttle damn near to the floor all the time...lol.
Old 02-29-2020, 10:48 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
By any chance, does the actual exhaust note change when you switch modes from comfort to sport or sport+? I have no idea what I sound like when I'm flying by other cars and people.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:37 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBot
By any chance, does the actual exhaust note change when you switch modes from comfort to sport or sport+? I have no idea what I sound like when I'm flying by other cars and people.
LOL
If you want to pick up Harley chicks, you need a different ride.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:37 AM
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I like it. There, I said it.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
I like piped noise too. They should have made an option to disable it for all those who dont like it. Not sure why they did don't.
BTW, I had a loaner car that was basic SH-AWD, and engine piped sound was either not there or was very small compared to my ASPEC. Is it because of stereo differences?
Old 03-01-2020, 07:54 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by russianDude
I like piped noise too. They should have made an option to disable it for all those who dont like it. Not sure why they did don't.
BTW, I had a loaner car that was basic SH-AWD, and engine piped sound was either not there or was very small compared to my ASPEC. Is it because of stereo differences?
We have the Tech Package (in Canada, one down from A-Spec) and still have piped-in noise no doubt. The stereo differences aren't all that much, just missing the 2 speakers in the roof in the rear I believe.

Engine performance should be the exact same.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DougWilsonsSlapper
We have the Tech Package (in Canada, one down from A-Spec) and still have piped-in noise no doubt. The stereo differences aren't all that much, just missing the 2 speakers in the roof in the rear I believe.

Engine performance should be the exact same.
engine performance is obviously identical, but I did feel difference in piped sound between aspec and base model. Maybe base model does not have piped sound or its much smaller, not sure
Old 03-01-2020, 08:36 AM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by russianDude
engine performance is obviously identical, but I did feel difference in piped sound between aspec and base model. Maybe base model does not have piped sound or its much smaller, not sure
I remember reading a review that indicated to get a non A-Spec model if the buyer wanted "quieter". I don't know what they were getting at, but maybe it was piped-in noise. I test drove the A-Spec prior to purchase and liked the noise. It was fun.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:24 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 311 Likes on 199 Posts
Does anyone know how much of the piped in noise is artificial? Are we hearing what the engine actually sounds like or is it an artificial sound? I generally enjoy the sound - it's burlier than I would have expect from a 4 cylinder but I wouldn't mind being able to dial down the volume a bit when I'm just cruising around. It sometimes feels like it's trying too hard to remind me that it's a "performance" vehicle.
Old 03-01-2020, 10:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by supafamous
Does anyone know how much of the piped in noise is artificial? Are we hearing what the engine actually sounds like or is it an artificial sound? I generally enjoy the sound - it's burlier than I would have expect from a 4 cylinder but I wouldn't mind being able to dial down the volume a bit when I'm just cruising around. It sometimes feels like it's trying too hard to remind me that it's a "performance" vehicle.
try turning it off in 3 button dealer settings (ANC off).
it will turn off noise cancelation and piped sound. It will get reset next time you start car. The engine revving will be quieter, no fun