Normal Front Bumper Panel Separation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020 | 08:01 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by russianDude
... If I look closely on my car, I have different width in gaps for rear tail gate...
Same here. After looking at a couple of new ones on the lot, which also have the same issue, I rested my case.
Old 08-12-2020 | 08:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by subin
Same here. After looking at a couple of new ones on the lot, which also have the same issue, I rested my case.
Does that mean you got it fixed by the dealership?
Old 08-12-2020 | 08:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by subin
yeah, and I am not justifying this as being “normal”, its rather a very common occurrence that shows lack of precision in assembly. Some are very slight variances that you have to look hard to find, others are very noticeable. If you have a bad case, the dealership will offer to send it to bodyshop. But then you scratch your head and wonder if its good idea to send new car to body shop and perhaps pick up some other issues from the bad body shop employee(scratches, poorly re-assembled panels, rattles and etc).

maybe a lesson for future car buying, make sure you inspect all panel clearances for uniformity before you take delivery if this is something that will keep you up at night.
With all the excitement of getting new car after striking a deal, this is something that can be overlooked and people do not expect anything to be wrong with new car
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (08-12-2020)
Old 08-16-2020 | 05:56 PM
Racer

I have the same bumper issue as op but not as bad. I did a more thorough walk around a found my driver handle has missing paint. Not enough coverage.

Common Acura. You want to be a respected luxury company. Step up your game with better fitment and quality checks.

Old 08-17-2020 | 04:47 PM
Instructor

compared to tesla, i think Acura is better. btw, i have the same gap on the driver side, but passenger side is perfectly fit.
Old 08-18-2020 | 01:18 AM
Safety Car

Panel gaps and misaligned trim pieces may be relatively inconsequential on their own, but it does make you wonder what else they overlooked or assembled with poor tolerances.
Old 08-18-2020 | 09:38 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Too recent to be related, but Honda has forced office workers to help assemble vehicles due to Covid-related staffing shortages. I don't know if Acura lines are involved or not.

Who knows, a detail-oriented accountant may actually get the bumper covers mounted correctly..

https://www.thedrive.com/news/35229/...-assembly-line
Old 08-18-2020 | 11:33 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DJA123
Too recent to be related, but Honda has forced office workers to help assemble vehicles due to Covid-related staffing shortages. I don't know if Acura lines are involved or not.

Who knows, a detail-oriented accountant may actually get the bumper covers mounted correctly..

Knowing accountants, I wouldn't be a surprised if a detail-oriented bean counter thought, "Three clips to secure this side of the bumper?!?!? No no no, that's too much money, we aren't Mercedes. Let's just do it with one clip, and while we're at it let's change the material to recycled cardboard".
Old 08-18-2020 | 12:39 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by DJA123

Somebody brought this up in the TLX forum that said that demand for Honda's is booming and cited the shortage at the OH plant as proof. Despite that notion being completely false, the Accord et al. are produced in the Marysville, OH plant. The RDX, MDX and CR-V are produced in the East Liberty plant, so the shortage (at least as far as is being reported) doesn't effect the RDX. The build quality of the RDX is pure shit to begin with even at proper staffing, so I can only imagine how terribly these Hondas are going to be put together with a "staffing shortage." I would not be getting any of the cars being churned out during these production runs. Worse than American cars honestly with how pathetic the build quality is on a supposed luxury brand. "Luxury" my ass ... shit is built like a goddamn fucking early 2000's Kia Rio.

/rant
Old 08-18-2020 | 05:31 PM
Drifting

Either I can't see it, or I don't care, (or my criteria is low) but my 19 RDX seems to be put together fairly well.
Old 08-18-2020 | 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by leomio85
The build quality of the RDX is pure shit to begin with even at proper staffing, so I can only imagine how terribly these Hondas are going to be put together with a "staffing shortage."
your a little out there on that statement, but everyone has their opinion , you see a couple negative posts on a forum and all of a sudden Honda and Acura apparently built shit vehicles 🤣😂 I guess I should of bought a fiat (sarcasm)

Last edited by Dereileak; 08-18-2020 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2020 | 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dereileak
your a little out there on that statement, but everyone has their opinion , you see a couple negative posts on a forum and all of a sudden Honda and Acura apparently built shit vehicles 🤣😂 I guess I should of bought a fiat (sarcasm)
I'm referring to my own 3G RDX. The wifey doesn't hear a lot of the rattles I do, so most people who don't hear them are likely not paying attention, oblivious to it, or listen to the radio loud enough to mask the defects. Almost every NVH issue I've dealt with has been poor build quality related and can be found on any car if you really listen for it. Already had a CEL that was silently taken care of when I brought it in for the rear lid contacting the roof and rubbing making the loud popping noise. This vehicle inspires very little confidence that it will be dead reliable down the road. As for fit and finish of a "luxury" brand, is laughable ... my friend's Ford Explorer ST is leaps and bounds better, absolutely airtight and silent while embarrassing the Acura in a straight line. That infotainment is absurd tho ... and the ST, even with incentives was still more expensive ... and the transmission programming definitely needs work. But, the trans programming in the RDX in "around town" driving is pretty terrible as well. But yea, back to my point, the car's build quality is subpar, absolutely no way around it. It comes down to poor work quality and control. I still like the car, but I will not excuse its faults simply because "well, it's a Honda, at least it'll last forever" ... because that's a load of shit too. The car as a driving machine is quite capable ... for being a luxury brand, it's pitiful and I'd rank it as bottom of the fucking barrel. Embarrassing shit deplorably fucking despicable asinine crock of shit they put together. Fuck I'm riled up ...
Old 08-18-2020 | 08:48 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by leomio85
I'm referring to my own 3G RDX. T. ...
Take a deep breath! Or two. NO car is worth getting that angry about.

I had an ear infection when I was shopping for the RDX, and my hearing was severely compromised at the time. I waited until it healed to buy. I only have one slight rattle (likely at the HUD as others have said) It is only sometimes, and I generally listen to the radio at a low to moderate volume. My ENT just told me my hearing is very good.

Maybe I got a good one? I am very picky and usually get the car that has all the known issues rolled into one.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 08-18-2020 at 08:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2020 | 08:49 PM
Suzuka Master

I think everyone would agree that Acura needs to step up in build quality and precision.
The following users liked this post:
leomio85 (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020 | 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Take a deep breath! Or two. NO car is worth getting that angry about.

I had an ear infection when I was shopping for the RDX, and my hearing was severely compromised at the time. I waited until it healed to buy. I only have one slight rattle (likely at the HUD as others have said) It is only sometimes, and I generally listen to the radio at a low to moderate volume. My ENT just told me my hearing is very good.

Maybe I got a good one? I am very picky and usually get the car that has all the known issues rolled into one.
Car was rock solid up until it had ~3k miles IIRC. It has been downhill from there. I thought it was due to the cold weather (bought at the end of July), but it turns out it was just poor build quality. Literally just had a new issue with the headliner right about the driver's seat. Fucking awful shit this car is if you want to talk purely build quality.