new tires? which are best for quietness and comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 03:51 AM
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
I recommend CC2's if mpg and raw handling prowess is secondary to performance in mud/slush or inclement weather.
I recommend Pilot Sport All Season 4's if you want a summer tire but "also know it may snow where you live, and wouldn't it be cool if your tires gripped in freezing temps and in the rain really well, too?"
I recommend Pilot Sport 4 if raw handling and prowess off-track is your goal, but you really want a good tire and you might just take it to the track.
I recommend the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S if all you care about are the boring aspects of a tire (It rolls, you forget its there unless it's making a racket or riding rough. You probably don't even know what size you need unless you go out and look at your car. You really don't care, you just "don't want to be bothered" but you "have to buy a tire".---this is the tire for YOU.)
The following users liked this post:
cale250 (02-14-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 04:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by anoop
That was the first thing that I checked as it felt weird right off the bat. 3 were set to 35 and one was set to 38. I drive back and had them set it to 33 all around. But I still had problems.

Just back now from a longer drive that included highway driving as well. I’m basically feeling high frequency vibration in the car at all speeds and all surfaces. On bad surface the tires are as loud and rough as my old OEMs. On smooth surfaces they are quiet but worse in terms of comfort because of the bumpy/vibration feel.

I’m going to ask if they can take the tires back and at this point to reduce risk I’m thinking I will just go with the OEMs.

I’m so disappointed. I have never been so dissatisfied with new tires ever and I have probably bought at least 10 sets over my life across 5 cars.
Tire Rack has a 30 day guarantee. That's why I buy from them.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:33 AM
10th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
@anoop thank you for your report, and I'm also disappointed to hear your experience with them.

My other recommendation to my MIL for her RDX is the Continental CrossContact LX25. It seems to get overwhelmingly good ratings from just about everywhere. In this Tire Rack test, it even bested the Michelin CrossClimate2 in snow traction and handling, despite not wearing the 3PMSF symbology. I wonder if anyone here has used the LX25?

Again, I'm really sorry to hear the Defenders don't seem to be a good match for the RDX.
Old 02-10-2023, 11:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
@anoop thank you for your report, and I'm also disappointed to hear your experience with them.

My other recommendation to my MIL for her RDX is the Continental CrossContact LX25. It seems to get overwhelmingly good ratings from just about everywhere. In this Tire Rack test, it even bested the Michelin CrossClimate2 in snow traction and handling, despite not wearing the 3PMSF symbology. I wonder if anyone here has used the LX25?

Again, I'm really sorry to hear the Defenders don't seem to be a good match for the RDX.
It's weird. The user reviews on Tirerack for the Continentals are poor, but the actual Tirerack review shows that it is among the best and is offered as OE even with the Macan.

Edit: The OE tires on the RDX are CrossContact LX Sport which is a different tire than the one you linked.

Last edited by anoop; 02-10-2023 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-10-2023, 12:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

It's weird. The user reviews on Tirerack for the Continentals are poor, but the actual Tirerack review shows that it is among the best and is offered as OE even with the Macan.

Edit: The OE tires on the RDX are CrossContact LX Sport which is a different tire than the one you linked.
Link to OE tire.
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...X&autoModClar=
The Tirerack review video is very positive.
Old 02-10-2023, 12:56 PM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
I’ve always been a Michelin fan but, when I wanted to replace the Continentals, I found that the Pirellis were rated highly for comfort and quietude on Tire Rack and then saw that a local tire store had them on sale way cheaper than the Michelin Primacy A/S so I gave them a chance.

I haven’t been disappointed at all. The ride, handling, and quietness are outstanding. Great value for the price.

Disclaimer: Never tried them in snow as I have dedicated Winter tires (Michelin X-Ice Snow SUV).
anoop (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 01:05 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
When I was in the market for new tires for my Car (not a RDX) many did recommend the cross climates...excellent tire.....but they did say 2 things.....they are a bit louder and their gas MPG went down a bit. 1 fellow even took his car back to the dealer where the noise was coming from.....the new CC's But he did say it it did not bother him all that much...was just an odd noise and didnt expect it to be the tires. I ended up going with Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06 PLUS 255/45/20...Very quiet tire...Quiter than the tires they replaced that had the sound deadening foam in them. Have yet to try them in snow, has it has been a snowless winter in Maryland
The following 2 users liked this post by flames9:
anoop (02-10-2023), NBPDC505 (02-21-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 01:36 PM
Racer

I put 60K miles on LX25's. They're an excellent tire. The only complaint is they can change noise depending on pavement type. CC2's don't really do that, and definitely don't "follow grooves" like t he LX25's sometimes can on rare occasion.
hokiefyd (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 01:44 PM
10th Gear

Yes -- the LX25 is a different tire than the OE LX Sport. To my knowledge, the LX25 is not an OE tire on anything, which suggests that it's probably a pretty good tire, as OE tires often come with compromises that are often not favorable (often tread life and/or wet traction). To someones's credit, either Continental's or Acura's, the OE LX Sport does seem to be a pretty decent OE tire. But do beware if you buy it...beware that there are several different SKUs or part numbers in that specific size. The specific SKU for Land Rover is almost certainly different than the specific SKU used by Jag, which is almost certainly different from the one used by Acura, etc. Differences may include internal changes that you can't see, including construction and even tread compound, and could also include slight changes to the tread pattern.

For instance, Alfa Romeo's SKU is V-rated instead of H-rated. Volvo's SKU is the XL variety (Extra Load), whereas most others are SL (Standard Load). Land Rover's is XL and W-rated. In other words, the 235/55R19 CrossContact LX Sport fitted by Acura is different from the 235/55R19 CrossContact LX Sport fitted by Jaguar, etc. If you go this route, I'd recommend making sure you're getting the specific SKU used by Acura if you want the same ride, handling, traction, treadlife, etc.

But yes, the CrossContact LX25 I'm interested in for my MIL is a retail distribution tire -- not offered at the OE level (to my knowledge). I suspect it's a better performer in most areas than the OE LX Sport, especially in the areas of wet and winter traction. Its treadwear rating is much higher, so it should last significantly longer as well.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

If you go this route, I'd recommend making sure you're getting the specific SKU used by Acura if you want the same ride, handling, traction, treadlife, etc.
How do I find out what that SKU is? The tire shop has the tires on order but I'm not sure which ones. I specifically asked for the OEM tires, but not sure what they will get. If I get the SKU, I can call in and double check. In the past when I ask for Michelin Primary Tour, they silently ordered Michelin Primacy and told me the tires were in.

BTW, was your MIL satisfied with the OEM tires?

Last edited by anoop; 02-10-2023 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2023, 06:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

@hokiefyd Thanks for getting me to check on SKUs. Looks like the store, despite my requesting the OEM tire, was about to pull a fast one on me. I checked multiple times with them that it's the OEM tire that I will be getting and they said yes.

Finally, got an email and the item number showed what they ordered was
https://www.americastire.com/buy-tir...-sport/p/40258
which according to their own website is not appropriate for my car!
I was supposed to get these put on just now.
This was all done by a manager, not even a regular employee.

After researching the website, I found that the correct tire for the RDX is
https://www.americastire.com/buy-tir...-sport/p/37644
That's $60+ cheaper per tire and it's the correct OEM tire.

I called them and told them they have the wrong tire waiting for me. He still continued to act like it was the correct tire. I told him that based on the item number in the order, their own website says it's not the right tire.

This is very deceptive business practice on their part.

I'm glad I came here to do research. Thanks for alerting me to this nuance.

They now have the correct tire on order.

(At the time I wrote this, the price was showing $197, now it's showing $209. I wonder what it will show tomorrow.)

Last edited by anoop; 02-10-2023 at 06:13 PM.
hokiefyd (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 06:46 PM
10th Gear

That's very interesting, and GREAT detective work!

It looks like the tire in the first link has "VM" at the end of the description, and its service description is 101H and is an SL tire. According to Tire Rack, Audi, Honda, Hyundai, and Mercedes, are using this tire model in the 101H/SL designation. So if that's not the Honda one, then it must be from Audi, Hyundai, or Mercedes. The tire in the second link has "HM" at the end of the description, and is also a 101H/SL tire. If this is the Honda OE tire, I'd guess the "HM" is denoting "Honda Motor" or something like that. I'd think the "VM" might indicate Volvo (maybe Volvo Motor), but Volvo's tire has a 105H service description with an XL rating, so that can't be it.

I think the part numbers that America's Tire is showing, 40258 for the first "VM" tire and 37644 for the second "HM" tire, are actual Continental part numbers, and they should be able to confirm if you have any doubts at all which version of the tire each one of them is.

One more clue, from Tire Rack's database: the OE Honda tire is one of three versions in this size made in the Czech Republic. I can confirm from my MIL's 2019 RDX that hers were made there. The Hyundai OE version of these tires in this size is made in the United States (again, according to Tire Rack). So if the tires you end up with from America's Tire were made in the Czech Republic, you can probably be pretty certain they're the OE Honda tire. If they were made in the US, then they're probably the Hyundai version.

General Motors makes this process easy. Every OE tire model has a TPC number molded into the sidewall. From this, you know exactly if the specific tire you're looking at is an OE tire. Tire Rack has more information on OE designation codes here.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 02-10-2023 at 06:51 PM.
anoop (02-10-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 06:54 PM
10th Gear

And to be fair to America's Tire, this is definitely not straight-forward. As we can see from the limited product description available to us, it's sometimes hard to figure out exactly which tire is which. I don't think there was any mal intent on their part -- perhaps just ignorance that so many different SKUs exist for "the same tire." Again, I think Continental themselves will be the ultimate authority on precisely which SKU you're after, if you have any doubt at all. Good luck, and I hope you end up with the tire you're trying to buy!
The following 2 users liked this post by hokiefyd:
anoop (02-11-2023), GW208 (02-10-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 12:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Here’s a photo of the old tire showing the cracks in the tread, and a photo of the lettering on the sidewall. It does say made in Czech Republic near the 10 pm area.

Last edited by anoop; 02-11-2023 at 12:30 AM.
hokiefyd (02-11-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 08:30 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
As a side note, Tire Rack is now owned by Discount Tire having been acquired last year. The America's Tire name is used only in parts of Calif.
The following 3 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
anoop (02-12-2023), EFR (02-13-2023), supafamous (02-13-2023)
Old 02-12-2023, 09:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
As a side note, Tire Rack is now owned by Discount Tire having been acquired last year. The America's Tire name is used only in parts of Calif.
Interesting — so all 3 are the same company. I knew about America’s Tire being the same as Discount Tire since that is what the invoice says but didn’t know about Tire Rack.
Old 02-12-2023, 09:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 305 Likes on 195 Posts
Interesting — so all 3 are the same company. I knew about America’s Tire being the same as Discount Tire since that is what the invoice says but didn’t know about Tire Rack.
But they still operate Tire Rack independently - at least for now.
anoop (02-12-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 09:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Just got new ones put on but after coming home what perplexes me is that none of the tires shows where it is made. They actually did try to charge me the price of the “wrong” tire but when I told them they were charging it wrong, they brought in a manager to fix it.

Any idea if I got the right tire?
HotRodW (02-14-2023)
Old 02-13-2023, 10:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

On one of the tires it’s very faint but I see made in Mexico.
Old 02-13-2023, 11:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

On paying close attention, it looks like this might be the Audi version since it has A0 and is made in Mexico.
HotRodW (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 05:58 AM
10th Gear

Yes, I believe it's the Audi OE tire. This is the only SKU in this tire model and size that's made in Mexico (at least according to Tire Rack's database), so that and the A0 marking is pretty definitive. You may end up liking these a lot -- it's hard to say, but I don't imagine they'd be tremendously different from Acura's version.
The following 3 users liked this post by hokiefyd:
anoop (02-14-2023), GW208 (02-14-2023), HotRodW (02-14-2023)
Old 02-14-2023, 07:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 305 Likes on 195 Posts
Disappointing that they're made in Mexico, but hopefully they'll work out for you. If they fall short of your expectations, it certainly won't be from lack of effort on your part. You definitely did your research.
Old 02-16-2023, 01:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

So I called them the next day and let them know they put the wrong tire on. They offered to swap them out for the correct one and I got that done today. Feels a bit better than the Audi ones. I find these quieter and they don’t make a thumping noise when I hit imperfections and potholes. I’m happy now.

BTW, the Defenders off gassed really bad in the garage almost unbearable for me because I’m very sensitive to smells. The Continentals have been much more subdued in terms of off gassing.

Last edited by anoop; 02-16-2023 at 01:58 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by anoop:
hokiefyd (02-20-2023), HotRodW (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 11:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

I don't think there was any mal intent on their part -- perhaps just ignorance that so many different SKUs exist for "the same tire."
BTW, really appreciate this comment. It helped me stay cool through the whole process. I decided I should stop trying to judge their behavior and instead just remain focused on getting on what I want.
hokiefyd (02-20-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 05:19 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
This whole thread is as about as good an education on tires as I have had in a while. I just took a look at Discount and Costco on our A-Spec's choices, which of course because of size, introduces a whole other list of tires. Several of the recommendations here are not even made in A-Spec size. What was surprising was the large number that are unavailable or out of stock.
mlloyd1 (01-08-2024)
Old 04-18-2023, 07:45 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes. We put those on my wife’s Audi q5 and they transformed the car. Quieter, handled better. When I replace my oem continentals, I’m getting thr lx 25s.
hokiefyd (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 08:53 AM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
Tirerack says the LX25 is not available for my 2022 ASpec/Advance. Must not make it in that size.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:12 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
Tirerack says the LX25 is not available for my 2022 ASpec/Advance. Must not make it in that size.
Unless you insist on OEM size, available is 245/50-20. That's the size we run on our ASpec as winter tires for the last 4 1/2 yrs, and they have been fine.
Old 04-18-2023, 12:46 PM
Pro

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Robs252
yes. We put those on my wife’s Audi q5 and they transformed the car. Quieter, handled better. When I replace my oem continentals, I’m getting thr lx 25s.
Thanks for the info. I have a Q5. It came with Kumho Crugen Premium tires (19s). Never had Kumho tires before. They seem average so far. If I replace them, I'd consider Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 or the Continental LX25s.
Old 04-18-2023, 01:13 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Robs252
Thanks for this update. I think my MIL is waiting for her tax return to buy her tires, so I hope to experience them soon. They (or their successors) are on my list for our Pilot as well (245/50R20).
Old 07-16-2023, 08:10 PM
10th Gear

Thanks for this update. I think my MIL is waiting for her tax return to buy her tires, so I hope to experience them soon. They (or their successors) are on my list for our Pilot as well (245/50R20).
I just wanted to follow-up on this by saying my MIL did end up getting the LX25s on her RDX (in 235/55R19 101H) and she loves them. I haven't driven it much, but the short while I have spent on them was pretty pleasant. They feel much more refined than her worn LX Sports (as they should) and they drive smoothly and comfortably. I like the rim protector they have (the small bulge at the bead area) and the deep tread (12/32") should keep hydroplaning away for a long time. And they're a pretty good value as well!
anoop (07-16-2023)
Old 07-22-2023, 03:27 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We bought a set of those for my wife's Audi Q5 and they totally transformed the car. I am replacing the original Continental sports with the LX25 when I change tires on my 2020 RDX advance
hokiefyd (07-23-2023)
Old 01-08-2024, 12:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folks:

THANK YOU for sharing all this timely info!
I need new shoes for my 2018 RDX and was planning to purchase Michelins Primacy MXM4 from Costco (didn't know about Primacy TOUR being different).
In addition to the honest Michelin feedback, seeing all the favorable comments about the Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS Plus and Continentals LX25 has convinced me I need to rethink this.
Will probably have to go through Sam's instead of Costco to get the choices; Costco is big on Michelin and they use Nitrogen which I prefer; don't think Sam's does.
Pointing out the importance of needing to really track/confirm consistency between what SKUs get ordered, actually delivered and installed is EXTREMELY helpful!

I live near Chicago so I WILL have to deal with snow.

Now, if I could just update the media system to do Android Auto ....

mlloyd1
hokiefyd (01-08-2024)
Old 01-08-2024, 07:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
Similar tire is the "CONTINENTAL CROSSCONTACT LX SPORT".
Old 01-08-2024, 07:20 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by mlloyd1
Folks:

THANK YOU for sharing all this timely info!
I need new shoes for my 2018 RDX and was planning to purchase Michelins Primacy MXM4 from Costco (didn't know about Primacy TOUR being different).
In addition to the honest Michelin feedback, seeing all the favorable comments about the Pirelli Scorpion Zero AS Plus and Continentals LX25 has convinced me I need to rethink this.
Will probably have to go through Sam's instead of Costco to get the choices; Costco is big on Michelin and they use Nitrogen which I prefer; don't think Sam's does.
Pointing out the importance of needing to really track/confirm consistency between what SKUs get ordered, actually delivered and installed is EXTREMELY helpful!

I live near Chicago so I WILL have to deal with snow.

Now, if I could just update the media system to do Android Auto ....

mlloyd1
I would suggest the Michelin CrossClimate2.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
I would suggest the Michelin CrossClimate2.
Since snow is a part of your plan then the CrossClimate2 is the obvious choice though there are now other all weather tires with good reviews now. The Pirelli WeatherActive and Bridgestone WeatherPeak are good alternatives as well. Anyone of these will do a great job for you.
Old 01-09-2024, 02:13 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks again for the recommendations!
Sorry if this is a stupid question: Is there a difference to be concerned about between the Cross Climate 2 and the Cross Climate SUV?
Stock of the SUV model seems skimpy and the specs I see look the same.
What does one give up (or gain) with the Cross Climate 2?
Old 01-09-2024, 02:28 PM
Pro

I’ve never heard of the SUV version. I’ve been running the CC2 for a couple years without complaint.
Old 01-09-2024, 06:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by mlloyd1
Thanks again for the recommendations!
Sorry if this is a stupid question: Is there a difference to be concerned about between the Cross Climate 2 and the Cross Climate SUV?
Stock of the SUV model seems skimpy and the specs I see look the same.
What does one give up (or gain) with the Cross Climate 2?
CrossClimate2 is a newer design so better in wet and dry while retaining all the performance in snow as version 1. The SUV one is based on the v1 design - I can't speak for the diff in this specific version but generally the SUV versions have a higher load index for heavier SUVs and sometimes have a different sidewalk design that's more "outdoorsy". If the CC2 has the right load index (and it does) then there's no need to get the SUV version.
mlloyd1 (01-09-2024)
Old 01-10-2024, 07:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
I now have 35k on my ASPEC OEM tires. Plenty of life left. I dont have any issues with them, will be buying the same tires again. Do not experiment with different tires unless you hate OEM.

Quick Reply: new tires? which are best for quietness and comfort?