New Member Intro - First Acura Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 02:22 PM
8th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
New Member Intro - First Acura Purchase

Hey all, have been lurking on here for a few weeks to get some information on the RDX. Thanks to all who have posted info in the past, really helped. Just bought a 2021 RDX Blue w/ Tech package, pick it up on Monday. This will mainly be wife's daily/family get around car. Test drive went well, think the RDX is nice driving SUV.

My daily is Audi S4, out of warranty and repair tax is strong. That was a driving force to the Acura, started out looking at Macan as I have been a fan for some time. Own a few older 911's that are a blast to drive. As I priced out a Macan was shocked that $70k was no where near max, that isn't even a turbo. As I looked at the marketplace, RDX was easily the best combo of price, space and driving.

Couple of initial impressions, the infotainment reviews are over blown. Was able to tune a radio station in under a minute the first time I used it. Seemed pretty straightforward. Possibly will be harder as I dive in. The brake pedal does suck, too spongy but the wife will care less. Overall very nice car and looking to extended drives next week.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheSilverFox:
amcobra (12-11-2020), dbnm (12-22-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 04:35 PM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
I test drove a 2019 and scared the s**t of myself and the sales guy when what I considered normal pedal pressure did nothing. Too much pedal travel for me. Now, on my 2020 the brakes work exactly as I expected. Brake effect near the top of the travel and progressive braking the harder I pushed. I don't even think about them when driving, I just drive.

Old 12-10-2020, 04:53 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Brakes feel fine to me, but I dislike grabs that grab at the slightest touch of the brake pedal. It's subjective, but different manufacturers use different pedal travel. It's personal preference, but the car is competent at stopping ... but as I said, for me, I like a bit of travel before the brakes start really grabbing.

And I agree, all the negative reviews about the touchpad were a nonissue for me. I was able to pick it up quickly and actually quite like it. I find it way more cumbersome using a dial or if the touchpad was like a mousepad (kind of like when you're using CarPlay). Touch screen would have been fine, but then you have fingerprints to deal with. Contrary to popular opinion, I actually really like the TrueTouch that Acura uses.
The following users liked this post:
amcobra (12-11-2020)
Old 12-10-2020, 07:46 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by leomio85
Brakes feel fine to me, but I dislike grabs that grab at the slightest touch of the brake pedal. It's subjective, but different manufacturers use different pedal travel. It's personal preference, but the car is competent at stopping ... but as I said, for me, I like a bit of travel before the brakes start really grabbing.

I find it way more cumbersome using a dial or if the touchpad was like a mousepad (kind of like when you're using CarPlay).
May have been biased on brakes from reading about issues. I’ll have a better read after some extended driving and they should break/bed I’d imagine. Completely agree about dial controls, drive me nuts
Old 12-11-2020, 09:03 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Since we've only put 9K miles on our RDX in the first year (anniversary next week) I expect we'll live with that dreaded touch pad a while longer than expected. Acura seems to like spreading it to all their new models which pretty much rules out Acura for our next car. There, see? Differing opinions that don't get pounced on and cause flame wars. (So tired of those elsewhere.)

The other features, especially the HUD, override our negative thoughts about the touch pad and besides, if we need to get someplace we just plug in the phone and use CarPlay and Google Maps. The awesome sound system is meaningless to us as my wife wants it OFF and I can hear my tunes sent directly to the ol' hearing aids as needed. (Old guy here)

Bottom line, you're going to love your RDX,
Old 12-11-2020, 10:44 AM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSilverFox
As I looked at the marketplace, RDX was easily the best combo of price, space and driving.
Spot on.

My wife and I test drove about a dozen vehicles with various price points. We had a range of $40-$50K max price, but any vehicles above that range (in the same SUV / CUV category and not a three-row) had to be an improvement in every way and equally important - maintenance costs. Acura had the edge since I'm a career Honda / Acura owner my entire life, but I kept an open mind.

Old 12-12-2020, 08:33 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. I too seriously considered a Macan prior to purchasing my RDX. I was looking at the Macan S - what a hoot to drive! The issue was the nearest Porsche dealership was s good 45 minutes away and, frankly, they were a$$holes. Also, hanging out in the Macan forums, I see the maintenance schedules matched that of vintage 1970 cars.

I do enjoy driving my RDX, not as exciting as the Macan S, but it does have reasonable performance. The SH-AWD is amazing.

The infotainment sucks. Being able to tune in a radio station in under a minute is nothing to brag about. I did that in my F-150 in a second. The infotainment is the biggest disappointment on this vehicle.
Old 12-12-2020, 09:13 PM
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Jfkmk
Congrats on your purchase. I too seriously considered a Macan prior to purchasing my RDX. I was looking at the Macan S - what a hoot to drive! The issue was the nearest Porsche dealership was s good 45 minutes away and, frankly, they were a$$holes. Also, hanging out in the Macan forums, I see the maintenance schedules matched that of vintage 1970 cars.

I do enjoy driving my RDX, not as exciting as the Macan S, but it does have reasonable performance. The SH-AWD is amazing.

The infotainment sucks. Being able to tune in a radio station in under a minute is nothing to brag about. I did that in my F-150 in a second. The infotainment is the biggest disappointment on this vehicle.
Trying using the voice commands to change stations and/or tuners. Example you can say: “Play Sirius XM Channel 9”
amcobra (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 06:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
Trying using the voice commands to change stations and/or tuners. Example you can say: “Play Sirius XM Channel 9”
Thanks for that, and I have used the voice commands. It is still a bit of a pain, and not nearly as intuitive as the infotainment found in everything else I’ve ever driven.

The voice commands can also take a bit of time, especially when making a call. For example, when leaving work I generally call my wife to let her know when to expect me home. “Call wifey at home” seems to baffle the RDX. The spinning symbol will go for 15-20 seconds as the system processes the command. Not so with my F150 or the Hyundai that the RDX replaced, response was instantaneous.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:48 AM
8th Gear

Thanks, picking it up tomorrow, looking forward to driving it and surprising the family with a early Christmas present.

Regarding the infotainment, just thought it was much easier than reviews I have read regarding difficulty of use. Obviously as a current owner you have much more insight and touchscreen would still be optimal. I'm not a huge fan of the way the center stack looks. Think the drive select dial is way too big.

But for a $40k car that looks and drives decent I'm not expecting perfection. One thing about the RDX, think it looks much better in person than in pictures. Will give better feedback after some real driving.
Old 12-13-2020, 08:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
Angry

Thanks for that, and I have used the voice commands. It is still a bit of a pain, and not nearly as intuitive as the infotainment found in everything else I’ve ever driven.

The voice commands can also take a bit of time, especially when making a call. For example, when leaving work I generally call my wife to let her know when to expect me home. “Call wifey at home” seems to baffle the RDX. The spinning symbol will go for 15-20 seconds as the system processes the command. Not so with my F150 or the Hyundai that the RDX replaced, response was instantaneous.
Spinning for 15-20 seconds----outrageous! That must really screw up your ETA.
marcolou (12-23-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 08:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sinain
Spinning for 15-20 seconds----outrageous! That must really screw up your ETA.
Of course not, that’s ridiculous. But why can’t the Acura infotainment deliver at least the same performance as the 2012 Hyundai it replaced?
Old 12-22-2020, 04:21 PM
8th Gear

Picked up the RDX last Monday so have had about a week to drive. Was a surprise for the wife, told her I was going to Costco and when I got back told her needed help unloading all the crap I bought. She was completely surprised and loves it. Sale guy asked if I saw Saturday Night Live that weekend and mentioned the below skit. Pretty funny and quite timely.

Anyway have had a chance to drive about 150 miles. Overall think it is a pretty good car, infotainment is meh, driving dynamics for a small SUV much better than I expected. Knock on wood we do not experience some of the problems others have/are experiencing. Wish the center stack had a better design, more traditional. I don't see myself using the storage under the stack, my wife sticks her purse in there, enough said. But handles pretty well and decent acceleration. Didn't think there was any noticeable tire/exterior noise, but I'm not sensitive to that as my other vehicles have an aftermarket exhaust at the minimum which put them on the louder end.

Definitely see a Ktuner or similar in the future, most likely after winter. Overall for $40k + tax pretty happy with the purchase to date.
Old 12-22-2020, 05:07 PM
Racer

Glad your wife likes it, it could have gone horribly wrong. Funny SNL skit! They e been hit and miss for years, abt that skit is right on!
Old 12-22-2020, 08:04 PM
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts
We picked up our RDX PMC about 10 days ago and I am very pleased with the car and our purchase. This is our second Acura. The first came about 3 years ago when we bought a 2017 MDX (fully loaded). That MDX has the worst navigation and infotainment system.

I am in the process of writing up some initial thoughts on the RDX. All good things.

JB in AZ (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 08:13 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by dbnm
We picked up our RDX PMC about 10 days ago and I am very pleased with the car and our purchase. This is our second Acura. The first came about 3 years ago when we bought a 2017 MDX (fully loaded). That MDX has the worst navigation and infotainment system.

I am in the process of writing up some initial thoughts on the RDX. All good things.
Congratulations! We also want pictures! (Uhm, better pictures!) The one you posted next to the sign was very cool, but you know what I mean! And we are all waiting on your write-up!

Last edited by JB in AZ; 12-22-2020 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-22-2020, 08:29 PM
Advanced

Here is one from the other night.

Albuquerque sunset
The following 5 users liked this post by dbnm:
Curious3GTL (12-23-2020), JB in AZ (12-22-2020), Ludepower (12-23-2020), Martyboy1 (12-29-2020), Vince D (12-22-2020)
Old 12-22-2020, 08:38 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts

Albuquerque sunset
Is Albuquerque Sunset referring to the RDX or the skyline? Either way, both are LEGIT.

Congratulations!

Acu-Rah-Rah (06-27-2021)
Old 12-22-2020, 10:58 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
I missed all this about PMC. Is it just a new color option? Or is it the "A-spec looks plus Advance options" that everyone was talking about? The orange looks pretty sharp.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:03 PM
Advanced

Yes, the PMC comes in a special color, is limited to 360 and has all of the available options.

Old 12-23-2020, 06:49 AM
8th Gear

Glad your wife likes it, it could have gone horribly wrong. Funny SNL skit! They e been hit and miss for years, abt that skit is right on!
Thanks, I’m glad too. Agree on SNL, haven’t watched it regularly for many years. Became way more misses than hits.
Martyboy1 (12-29-2020)
Old 12-23-2020, 09:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Great pic! Reddish-orange sky to match the car. Well done!
Acu-Rah-Rah (06-27-2021)
Old 12-23-2020, 01:32 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by TheSilverFox
I don't see myself using the storage under the stack, my wife sticks her purse in there, enough said.
It's a great place to put your mask when you're driving. Acura must have know Covid was coming....
Old 12-23-2020, 03:03 PM
8th Gear

Albuquerque sunset
Great pic with the sunset, car looks awesome. I personally like orange but can be challenging color for cars. There a fine line between cool and obnoxious and this is very cool!!
Acu-Rah-Rah (06-27-2021)
Old 12-26-2020, 03:22 PM
Racer

dbnm, that is one sharp looking car! The only orange vehicle I’ve ever owned was a 1975 IH Scout II, and it didn’t look near as good as yours does.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jfkmk:
Acu-Rah-Rah (06-27-2021), dbnm (12-26-2020)