New 2022 RDX Advance - My research with the competition and initial impressions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2022, 11:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by Unobtanium
they could do that, but then you get an $80k vehicle on a $40k chassis. Honda/acura were smart enough to cut that CRV/RDX crap out. Lets not go backwards.
Who cares? The chassis is good. Are you saying the chassis is not? The Macan Turbo is built on a $40K VW platform...is that suddenly not one of the best handling crossovers ever made?

I suppose that means it's smart that Acura isn't offering an RDX Type-S, because who wants a $60K car on a $40K chassis? And they must be dumb as a doornail to offer the MDX Type-S, because nobody wants a $75K car on a $40K chassis.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:16 PM
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
Who cares? The chassis is good. Are you saying the chassis is not? The Macan Turbo is built on a $40K VW platform...is that suddenly not one of the best handling crossovers ever made?

I suppose that means it's smart that Acura isn't offering an RDX Type-S, because who wants a $60K car on a $40K chassis? And they must be dumb as a doornail to offer the MDX Type-S, because nobody wants a $75K car on a $40K chassis.
the Macan isnt as good as the Stelvio...which was backwards designed from the QV Guilia. Perfect case of expensive chassis trickel down vs cheap one reaching up. Payed dividends, too. You don't see the Macan GTS or Turbo posting lap times deep into the 7s on the Ring...there's a reason. Its not power.

Also, correct. A RDX S should be rwd based. Acura is smart to wait for a redesign. The 6 would hang too much weight over the snout.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:53 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak
But, to restate - does anyone know WHY only one mirror can go down at a time in reverse? There must be a reason for it.
I just figured it was all they could fit on the user interface they used (the 3 position switch). I've never used it on the driver's side mirror.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:55 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
In the QX50, if you left the switch in the middle, both mirrors went down. Left on either side and neither went down. With the QX50, there wasn't an option to only have one go down. But yes, I agree. There are only 3 positions so it seems to be one way or the other.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:55 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I highly doubt there were much more changes from 2022 than 2019 in terms of ECU mapping, but then again, I don't rev my engine to 5K rpm, so you're definitely having more of a lead foot than I am. Check your MPG's after about a couple more months and see what it is. I'm only getting 19.9ish MPG, and all my friends who've owned RDX's do not get past 20mpg combined.
I just passed 7,500 miles. Best I'm doing on the highway (80mph) with no wind is 21.5mpg. Around town getting over 18.5 is rare.
Old 02-28-2022, 12:58 PM
Touring

Ehh, unless you're driving the RDX like you stole it, then torque vectoring isn't that important to most people.
I dunno. Mine has been pretty busy in the snow the last couple of weeks. Also on gravel roads. It's hard to break traction on concrete.
Old 02-28-2022, 11:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by jcross1231
I just passed 7,500 miles. Best I'm doing on the highway (80mph) with no wind is 21.5mpg. Around town getting over 18.5 is rare.
I'm at 400 miles. Total average including some idling is 21. On the highway doing 75, Im averaging about 24 (average of both directions of travel on same highway). I must admit, this is a bit bizarre. My cx5 turbo had 310tq and 250bhp, and a 6 speed, and it was about 200# lighter, but it managed 29mpg on the same stretch and its lifetime average total was 27.0. I cannot understand why the rdx is so thirsty. That said, I enjoy the rdx enough vs the mazda that its an "okay, whatever " observation. Especially considering the Macannis rsted at 19/25, and has smaller tires and less power.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by jcross1231
Similar MPG here in my 7,200 miles on her so far. Even with a light foot - the RDX SH-awd is a thirsty one. 26mpg hwy is possible - at 60-65mph, cruise on, zero wind, moderated temps and flat terrain.
Old 03-01-2022, 12:59 PM
Touring

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Similar MPG here in my 7,200 miles on her so far. Even with a light foot - the RDX SH-awd is a thirsty one. 26mpg hwy is possible - at 60-65mph, cruise on, zero wind, moderated temps and flat terrain.
That's about what I'm getting at those speed, too.
Old 03-01-2022, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
I would like to introduce myself to the community. I am from Long Island, NY, and about to return a (loaded) 2019 QX50 after a 39-month lease with 10k miles on it. Well, actually, I am working with a car guy to arrange to buy it off lease and flip it for a profit. The Acura dealer didn't want to take it. I hope I got a good deal on a 36-month lease of the 2022 RDX Advance in Liquid Carbon with Espresso. I took the car he had on the lot, but it was probably my top choice anyway.

I am more a fan of ride comfort and tech than "performance" and "handling." Last week, I actually spent a day test driving the 2022s of RDX, Q5, QX50, RX350, XT4, XT5, and XC60. My goal was to find the smoothest/quietest cabin with the most tech. I will give you a brief comparison of all these cars but will ultimately want to explain why I had immediate regrets when I drove the RDX home the 2.5 miles from the dealer yesterday. Spoiler Alert: I am keeping the RDX anyway 😊.

Except for the RX350, I felt all the other cars had similar engine and road noise – even the Q5. None were completely silent and smooth. Perhaps I have an unrealistic expectation of what the interior should feel like in cars of this class, but, except for the RX350, I didn't see one as significant "better." At least that was my impression for the short time I test drove.

So then it came down to interior comfort, tech, and pricing. It is a lease, so long-term reliability is not a big deal, but I also didn't want my car in the shop all the time (a ding to Volvo where I have heard from friends they had problems).

The Q5 had a digital dashboard but no remote starter. The seats weren't particularly comfortable (I am 6'2"), and, if I recall correctly, the tech wasn't that fantastic.

The new QX50 has amazing tech (though missing a few key things), but more on this below.

The RX350 seems to be in the Stone Age. An old-fashioned shifter and still a CD player. I didn't even bother asking, but I am sure the price was significantly higher. It was the smoothest/quietest ride, but I would miss the tech.

The XT4 and XT5 were no better than the other cars. Price was a bit less, but the chip shortage seemed to be affecting the American brands more. I don't remember what they took out, but there were some important things (maybe HUD, heating steering?).

The Volvo might have been my second choice, but I was concerned about the tech. No Android Auto as it has Google built-in. But you couldn't use Waze. The seats also didn't go back when you turned off the car (easy entry), and, again, I was concerned about the reliability. Also, no keyfob remote start – only via app (which takes longer).

So I was really down to 3 choices: The XC60 (but I had my concerns), a new QX50 Autograph, or an RDX Advance. As I drove off the lot yesterday, I had immediate regrets because I LOVE my QX50. Here is my comparison of the RDX as it compares to my current 2019 QX50 and what I think I would have gotten in the 2022 QX50:

Cons
  • Only one mirror goes down at a time in reverse. Does anyone know why that is???
  • The map doesn't come on automatically when starting the car. The QX50 has a separate screen for the GPS, and I love being able always to have it on when even just driving around my neighborhood.
  • As a 6'2" guy, I thought the thigh support would be helpful. I remember a Maxima that had a pull-out one. The seat is equally as comfortable as the QX50 for me. No better – no worse.
  • Engine noise is no quieter than QX50. Dare I say it might be a bit louder – even in Comfort.
  • The steering on the QX50 gets much looser at speeds under 7 mph to make maneuvering into parking spots easier. If the RDX has it, it is not as pronounced.
  • Lane Keep Assistant only at speeds >45 mph. The QX50 has a much lower threshold.
  • The wireless charger is not high speed. That is the challenge with built-in tech. I wonder if my use of wireless Android Auto will exceed the power needed from the wireless charger, and I will need to buy a high-speed charger anyway.
  • Smaller center storage console
  • No moving headlights. The QX50's lights would swivel with the steering wheel. I know the RDX headlights are phenomenal, but that was a "cool" feature that I actually found useful.
  • Only one screen. As mentioned above, I know others faulted Infiniti for the second screen, but I actually liked it.
  • No power-adjustable steering wheel. This also means the easy entry/exit feature only moves the seat.

Pros
  • Bigger trunk and rear storage.
  • Higher seat position when driving.
  • Wireless Android Auto.
  • Quieter wind noise. I am not sure if the newer QX50 is much worse, but you definitely don't hear the wind in the RDX. I suspect that when driving on the highway and the engine noise is minimal, the lack of wind noise will make me very happy. Sadly, most of my driving is not on the highway.
  • Side bolsters on the driver's seat (maybe that will be nicer for me – I never thought the QX50 was uncomfortable).
  • More controls are available in HUD. Very cool what can be accessed on the HUD screen.
  • Keyfob remote start works much further and has LED confirmation. I subscribe to the phone app but use the keyfob often so this is nice.
  • Headlights on with wipers. The 2019 QX50 doesn't have this, and I actually got pulled over with a warning in NJ last year. I am not sure if the 2022 QX50 got it added.

I originally made the decision to go with the RDX because the price was a bit less. It (supposedly) had a quieter interior, wireless charging and wireless Android Auto. But, most importantly, it was something "different." After all, that is one of the luxuries of leasing cars. I am keeping the car because I am not sure I could return it anyway, and I will learn to appreciate its pros and discount its cons. But, most of all, it is a 3-year commitment to try a different brand.

I hope this post is helpful to others and if anyone has comments that may make me feel even better about my decision, bring it on 😊.
You should’ve checked out the Genesis GV70. Lots of luxury/tech/comfort around the same price point.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:24 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I would like to introduce myself to the community. I am from Long Island, NY, and about to return a (loaded) 2019 QX50 after a 39-month lease with 10k miles on it. Well, actually, I am working with a car guy to arrange to buy it off lease and flip it for a profit. The Acura dealer didn't want to take it. I hope I got a good deal on a 36-month lease of the 2022 RDX Advance in Liquid Carbon with Espresso. I took the car he had on the lot, but it was probably my top choice anyway.

I am more a fan of ride comfort and tech than "performance" and "handling." Last week, I actually spent a day test driving the 2022s of RDX, Q5, QX50, RX350, XT4, XT5, and XC60. My goal was to find the smoothest/quietest cabin with the most tech. I will give you a brief comparison of all these cars but will ultimately want to explain why I had immediate regrets when I drove the RDX home the 2.5 miles from the dealer yesterday. Spoiler Alert: I am keeping the RDX anyway 😊.

Except for the RX350, I felt all the other cars had similar engine and road noise – even the Q5. None were completely silent and smooth. Perhaps I have an unrealistic expectation of what the interior should feel like in cars of this class, but, except for the RX350, I didn't see one as significant "better." At least that was my impression for the short time I test drove.

So then it came down to interior comfort, tech, and pricing. It is a lease, so long-term reliability is not a big deal, but I also didn't want my car in the shop all the time (a ding to Volvo where I have heard from friends they had problems).

The Q5 had a digital dashboard but no remote starter. The seats weren't particularly comfortable (I am 6'2"), and, if I recall correctly, the tech wasn't that fantastic.

The new QX50 has amazing tech (though missing a few key things), but more on this below.

The RX350 seems to be in the Stone Age. An old-fashioned shifter and still a CD player. I didn't even bother asking, but I am sure the price was significantly higher. It was the smoothest/quietest ride, but I would miss the tech.

The XT4 and XT5 were no better than the other cars. Price was a bit less, but the chip shortage seemed to be affecting the American brands more. I don't remember what they took out, but there were some important things (maybe HUD, heating steering?).

The Volvo might have been my second choice, but I was concerned about the tech. No Android Auto as it has Google built-in. But you couldn't use Waze. The seats also didn't go back when you turned off the car (easy entry), and, again, I was concerned about the reliability. Also, no keyfob remote start – only via app (which takes longer).

So I was really down to 3 choices: The XC60 (but I had my concerns), a new QX50 Autograph, or an RDX Advance. As I drove off the lot yesterday, I had immediate regrets because I LOVE my QX50. Here is my comparison of the RDX as it compares to my current 2019 QX50 and what I think I would have gotten in the 2022 QX50:

Cons
  • Only one mirror goes down at a time in reverse. Does anyone know why that is???
  • The map doesn't come on automatically when starting the car. The QX50 has a separate screen for the GPS, and I love being able always to have it on when even just driving around my neighborhood.
  • As a 6'2" guy, I thought the thigh support would be helpful. I remember a Maxima that had a pull-out one. The seat is equally as comfortable as the QX50 for me. No better – no worse.
  • Engine noise is no quieter than QX50. Dare I say it might be a bit louder – even in Comfort.
  • The steering on the QX50 gets much looser at speeds under 7 mph to make maneuvering into parking spots easier. If the RDX has it, it is not as pronounced.
  • Lane Keep Assistant only at speeds >45 mph. The QX50 has a much lower threshold.
  • The wireless charger is not high speed. That is the challenge with built-in tech. I wonder if my use of wireless Android Auto will exceed the power needed from the wireless charger, and I will need to buy a high-speed charger anyway.
  • Smaller center storage console
  • No moving headlights. The QX50's lights would swivel with the steering wheel. I know the RDX headlights are phenomenal, but that was a "cool" feature that I actually found useful.
  • Only one screen. As mentioned above, I know others faulted Infiniti for the second screen, but I actually liked it.
  • No power-adjustable steering wheel. This also means the easy entry/exit feature only moves the seat.

Pros
  • Bigger trunk and rear storage.
  • Higher seat position when driving.
  • Wireless Android Auto.
  • Quieter wind noise. I am not sure if the newer QX50 is much worse, but you definitely don't hear the wind in the RDX. I suspect that when driving on the highway and the engine noise is minimal, the lack of wind noise will make me very happy. Sadly, most of my driving is not on the highway.
  • Side bolsters on the driver's seat (maybe that will be nicer for me – I never thought the QX50 was uncomfortable).
  • More controls are available in HUD. Very cool what can be accessed on the HUD screen.
  • Keyfob remote start works much further and has LED confirmation. I subscribe to the phone app but use the keyfob often so this is nice.
  • Headlights on with wipers. The 2019 QX50 doesn't have this, and I actually got pulled over with a warning in NJ last year. I am not sure if the 2022 QX50 got it added.

I originally made the decision to go with the RDX because the price was a bit less. It (supposedly) had a quieter interior, wireless charging and wireless Android Auto. But, most importantly, it was something "different." After all, that is one of the luxuries of leasing cars. I am keeping the car because I am not sure I could return it anyway, and I will learn to appreciate its pros and discount its cons. But, most of all, it is a 3-year commitment to try a different brand.

I hope this post is helpful to others and if anyone has comments that may make me feel even better about my decision, bring it on 😊.
You were able to find all the referenced vehicles (RDX, Q5, QX50, RX350, XT4, XT5, and XC60) in stock and available for road testing?
Old 03-01-2022, 08:36 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Yes but not necessarily the trims I would buy.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (03-01-2022)
Old 03-02-2022, 07:33 AM
Racer

I just got home from the gym. My commute was typical, and I even took a detour to hit some twisties at moderate throttle (500 miles on the car now, getting closer to full send). When I left the house, I had had the car idling for a few, and mpg for this tank was around 22.8 or so. By the time I got home 50 miles later, I was at 23.9mpg total for this tank so far (so I must have averaged around 24.5 or so, to pull the average up). I didn't go WOT in it yet, but kept throttle inputs moderate, the transmission shifting at around 4500-5K rpm in sport mode. The torque vectoring in this thing is absolutely next level good in the corners and it stays FLAT to boot!

All in all, I think my CX5 turbo averaged about 5mpg more than this vehicle during my typical driving, and this does truly perplex me, but overall I feel that the mpg hit is well worth it for the performance increase. I went from 19" rims to 20" rims, and 225's to 255's. Added 200# in weight to the vehicle. Added a more involved AWD system. I can see it.
Old 03-04-2022, 11:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
But, to restate - does anyone know WHY only one mirror can go down at a time in reverse? There must be a reason for it.
When parallel parking, you want only the mirror on the curb side to tilt. You want to be able to see regular traffic/pedestrians on the other side. Tilting both would mean the latter is not possible. Both mirrors tilted may be useful when trying to align the car in a parking spot while backing in, but that is largely superseded by the backup camera. In fact, even parallel parking can largely be handled by the backup camera, although I do find that with the RDX (2019) the guide lines don't quite match up with where the car is really pointing.

Last edited by anoop; 03-04-2022 at 11:26 PM.
oblio98 (03-05-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 01:13 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I just got home from the gym. My commute was typical, and I even took a detour to hit some twisties at moderate throttle (500 miles on the car now, getting closer to full send). When I left the house, I had had the car idling for a few, and mpg for this tank was around 22.8 or so. By the time I got home 50 miles later, I was at 23.9mpg total for this tank so far (so I must have averaged around 24.5 or so, to pull the average up). I didn't go WOT in it yet, but kept throttle inputs moderate, the transmission shifting at around 4500-5K rpm in sport mode. The torque vectoring in this thing is absolutely next level good in the corners and it stays FLAT to boot!

All in all, I think my CX5 turbo averaged about 5mpg more than this vehicle during my typical driving, and this does truly perplex me, but overall I feel that the mpg hit is well worth it for the performance increase. I went from 19" rims to 20" rims, and 225's to 255's. Added 200# in weight to the vehicle. Added a more involved AWD system. I can see it.
Is this mostly highway driving? I've only driven on the highway on mine a couple of times since my purchase in mid January so mostly its been short distance city driving and I am only getting around 15.6 MPG, terrible to say the least. My 2008 TL gets 18.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:42 PM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
I’d wait until you have 5k on the odometer before you worry about MPG.

I have 1k on mine and the computer says 19mpg. That also includes bitter cold temps and lots of remote starting.

If it makes you feel any better the 2019 Lexus NX300 I traded in got about 19-21mpg and it was smaller, had less power and slip to grip AWD. So pretty much 100% fwd unless the wheels slipped.

2.0T can be thirsty depending on how you drive.
Old 03-11-2022, 11:25 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
RE: the Infiniti's mentioned above. That seems to be one brand I don't seem to hear a lot about (or Nissan). As we (slowly) get ready for a new car by year end, the new QX60 has caught my attention, maybe a little bigger than we would be looking for, but reviews I have seen have been pretty good. May have to check it out.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:27 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
RE: the Infiniti's mentioned above. That seems to be one brand I don't seem to hear a lot about (or Nissan). As we (slowly) get ready for a new car by year end, the new QX60 has caught my attention, maybe a little bigger than we would be looking for, but reviews I have seen have been pretty good. May have to check it out.
Qx60 is in direct competition with Mdx.
Old 03-11-2022, 05:49 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Qx60 is in direct competition with Mdx.
Correct, if the QX60 is 'competitive'. As noted, I see very little about the new 2022 QX60, and they seem very limited in supply, even compared to how short everything else is.In Vegas /Henderson are there is 1, Phoenix area I think there was 0. Even their ad says 'extremely short supply. Trying to keep mind open on next purchase, and recent gas prices may have a big effect on that, like adding PHEV or EV's to the list. As I don't care for Teslas (except the 'S'), todays EV's that I would consider are the Mustang, the ID4 and the Kia/Hyundai cousins, I guess, and in Hybrid stuff, Sorento, Corsair and I don't even know what else.
Old 03-11-2022, 05:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EFR
Correct, if the QX60 is 'competitive'. As noted, I see very little about the new 2022 QX60, and they seem very limited in supply, even compared to how short everything else is.In Vegas /Henderson are there is 1, Phoenix area I think there was 0. Even their ad says 'extremely short supply. Trying to keep mind open on next purchase, and recent gas prices may have a big effect on that, like adding PHEV or EV's to the list. As I don't care for Teslas (except the 'S'), todays EV's that I would consider are the Mustang, the ID4 and the Kia/Hyundai cousins, I guess, and in Hybrid stuff, Sorento, Corsair and I don't even know what else.
If you can stay tuned for 18mo, I'd look VERY hard at the new CX70 Mazda is dropping in that timeframe.
Old 03-11-2022, 06:58 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Good point. I saw an article in MT on the CX60 or whatever it is ( not for US I believe) last week, and it mentioned the upcoming CX70 (for US). From what I have read, Mazda is a much better company than it was a decade ago, so I'll keep an eye on the CX70's development. I am in no huge hurry to buy a new car (AKA spend 45-65K), but the car we are replacing is a 2003 V6 Accord, so long overdue. The infrastructure for EV seems so sketchy at the moment, but we don't drive that much anymore so maybe an issue that wouldn't particularly exist for us....our 2019 RDX has a whopping 13,000 miles on it....after 3 1/2 years of ownership,
Old 03-11-2022, 07:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
Good point. I saw an article in MT on the CX60 or whatever it is ( not for US I believe) last week, and it mentioned the upcoming CX70 (for US). From what I have read, Mazda is a much better company than it was a decade ago, so I'll keep an eye on the CX70's development. I am in no huge hurry to buy a new car (AKA spend 45-65K), but the car we are replacing is a 2003 V6 Accord, so long overdue. The infrastructure for EV seems so sketchy at the moment, but we don't drive that much anymore so maybe an issue that wouldn't particularly exist for us....our 2019 RDX has a whopping 13,000 miles on it....after 3 1/2 years of ownership,
The problem right now is the time to get a car. I don't see that improving. If at all, I think it's going to get worse moving forward. Many factories are reducing production or even idling because of lack of parts and skyrocketing commodity prices are only going to make that worse. If this continues, in about 5 years, an RDX class electric SUV could easily be $100K. I think Tesla Model Y has increased by $10K in the last year alone, and that doesn't account for the most recent spike in commodity prices.

Last edited by anoop; 03-11-2022 at 07:11 PM.
EFR (03-12-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 08:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by EFR
My Mazdas have been the highest quality vehicles Ive owned. Including this one. I love my RDX, and prefer it, but the Mazda quality was unbeatable. Perfect panel gaps. Perfect everything.
The following 2 users liked this post by Unobtanium:
EFR (03-12-2022), ESHBG (03-13-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 10:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
My Mazdas have been the highest quality vehicles Ive owned. Including this one. I love my RDX, and prefer it, but the Mazda quality was unbeatable. Perfect panel gaps. Perfect everything.
One of the benefits of a car that's still made in Japan, as opposed to built by the famously perfectionist Ohioans.
The following 4 users liked this post by fiatlux:
anoop (03-11-2022), EFR (03-12-2022), ESHBG (03-13-2022), Unobtanium (03-11-2022)