Need advice on 2019/2020 Acura RDX please

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 09:57 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lend27
I've put about 200 miles on it so far, and all is well.
No brake squealing, everything working fine.
Mainly city driving, averaging 19.6 mpg. Keeping an eye on that.
Salesman says premium fuel is recommended, but 87 octane is minimum.
Going to use premium. I assume the engine will thank me for that.
Looking to keep this car at least 8 years. Wife loves it.
I started with sticker price of $43.5K. Ended up at $37.8K.
Great price. Where purchased (city). Color? Any special promos/incentives like loyalty/conquest incentive? Finance special through dealershiP? Any additional info which led to killer price would be appreciated?
Old 05-26-2019, 10:25 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by patm70
Great price. Where purchased (city). Color? Any special promos/incentives like loyalty/conquest incentive? Finance special through dealershiP? Any additional info which led to killer price would be appreciated?
Sticker was $43.5K
They offered a discount of $4750 right off the bat. This was the loyalty/conquest incentive I believe.
Then I told them I wouldn't pay for the Protection Package and they removed the $900 charge, but left the package on the car.
That gave me a net of #37.8K.
I got the Silver with Gray Leather interior. Really nice. It's AWD with Tech package.
They also gave me a great price on my trade, beating 3 other dealers.
I paid the balance in cash.
Fees were negligible, but GA tax is high, 7%. But I can't blame the dealer for that.
The dealer is Acura Carland in Duluth GA. Salesman is Charles. Top notch all the way.
I started the negotiation via email and finalized in person.
Can't say enough about the way the dealer and Charles treated us.
I'm 66 and have purchased many new cars. Never been treated better than by these guys.
Highly recommended.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:20 AM
9th Gear

Lend27, thanks for quick reply Going to dealership tomorrow or Tuesday. If my local dealer can match your deal, I will buy the RDX Tech. Also have a 2016 RDX AWD Base to trade in. Much appreciated for all your time and posting of your sale. Will give you an update after Acura dealership visit.
Old 05-26-2019, 11:54 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Lend27, thanks for quick reply Going to dealership tomorrow or Tuesday. If my local dealer can match your deal, I will buy the RDX Tech. Also have a 2016 RDX AWD Base to trade in. Much appreciated for all your time and posting of your sale. Will give you an update after Acura dealership visit.

Just asking, but your car is only 3 years old, so why are you trading it in?
Old 05-26-2019, 02:34 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Just asking, but your car is only 3 years old, so why are you trading it in?
Two reasons. Wife's car. Wants extra safety features of the tech model and never really feel in love with the burgundy color. Going for the white diamond pearl color. However, does love the RDX.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:41 PM
Drifting

Yeah. The extra safety features made my decision as well.
Old 05-26-2019, 07:53 PM
Advanced

Good Luck!
Old 05-28-2019, 10:54 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
I got my Advance model on April 1. We are less than 200 miles from the factory and this car was a fresh build, March of 2019 production. So far I have nearly 5,000 miles on this vehicle as we just completed a 4,000 drive out to the South West and back. I have had zero issues with this car. The brakes have a great feel and are smooth and powerful, as well as silent. The engine runs great and in over 4,000 miles the oil level has gone neither up nor down. The transmission works great. The engine does not have any excessive "lag". There are certain conditions where there is a very short delay when hitting the gas but its like a very small fraction of a second, not "several seconds" as some have claimed. I have seen this on many vehicles, especially ones with "drive by wire". I was an automotive professional for over 40 years -OEM- and have driven thousands of cars so I have a vast data base to draw from. I don't see any characteristics in this car that I can't live with. All vehicles have personalities just as we do. Some drivers will find fault with certain vehicles due to their personal expectations. I have always advised people to drive many different vehicles and find the one that best suits their style and preferences.
I use mostly regular grade gasoline without issue. I do not drive this thing like a race car so I can't see wasting money on octane that won't be used.
I did not wait for a 2020 as we had some important travel to complete during May and I wanted to drive this rather than my previous Honda. BTW, the 2017 CR-V was a wonderful car and never had any issues with oil dilution, heating, battery and all those other things some on the forums swore were "common" issues. I expect the same great service out of this RDX and will not hesitate to buy another one.
The following 3 users liked this post by hans471:
GW208 (05-28-2019), JB in AZ (06-06-2019), Lend27 (05-29-2019)
Old 06-01-2019, 02:22 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Lend27
Sticker was $43.5K
They offered a discount of $4750 right off the bat. This was the loyalty/conquest incentive I believe.
Then I told them I wouldn't pay for the Protection Package and they removed the $900 charge, but left the package on the car.
That gave me a net of #37.8K.
I got the Silver with Gray Leather interior. Really nice. It's AWD with Tech package.
They also gave me a great price on my trade, beating 3 other dealers.
I paid the balance in cash.
Fees were negligible, but GA tax is high, 7%. But I can't blame the dealer for that.
The dealer is Acura Carland in Duluth GA. Salesman is Charles. Top notch all the way.
I started the negotiation via email and finalized in person.
Can't say enough about the way the dealer and Charles treated us.
I'm 66 and have purchased many new cars. Never been treated better than by these guys.
Highly recommended.
So we pulled the trigger this week. Received internet prices from three dealers near where we lived. They were all fairly close on price for left over 2019 vehicles. All dealers already had the 2020 RDX on their lots. Went to the two dealers with lowest quoted prices to see what we would get for trade in of our 2016 RDX. There was a $2,000 difference on their trade value offers!! Plus we also save the tax associated with trade in. At 8.625%, that is $1811.25! Obviously, we bought from the dealer offering the extra 2k. I sent an email to the dealership with the low ball offer and told him his offer was insulting especially since my wife's garaged, smoke free vehicle with 30k miles was in mint condition as it was detailed once a year, as recently as April. No response yet!
Quoted price on the AWD RDX Tech was $39,388. (Sticker $43,495.) a savings of $4107. Also in addition, received loyalty rebate of $1,000. ( the 2016 RDX). Plus, as we were going to finance 10k any way, we decided to do it through Acura Finance at 3.49% (same rate as our bank) which gave us another $750. discount. So final price after incentives was $37,638. plus, taxes, etc. which by my calculations was a savings of $5857. below MSRP. There were no silly add ons like Protection Package, window tint, etching, etc. Also, wife decided at last minute that she preferred a Modern Steel with Grey interior. Dealer did not have one on lot, so he called up another dealer and had one brought over the next day so we could complete the sale. Lastly, this dealership offers, free oil changes, tire rotations, multi vehicle inspection, car wash as long as you own car and follow service schedule! An extra value bonus to us at no extra cost.
Was very pleased with the whole transaction. Salesman and general manager were a pleasure to deal with. Lend27, thanks again for your detailed pricing post which helped me tremendously.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:36 AM
Advanced

So we pulled the trigger this week. Received internet prices from three dealers near where we lived. They were all fairly close on price for left over 2019 vehicles. All dealers already had the 2020 RDX on their lots. Went to the two dealers with lowest quoted prices to see what we would get for trade in of our 2016 RDX. There was a $2,000 difference on their trade value offers!! Plus we also save the tax associated with trade in. At 8.625%, that is $1811.25! Obviously, we bought from the dealer offering the extra 2k. I sent an email to the dealership with the low ball offer and told him his offer was insulting especially since my wife's garaged, smoke free vehicle with 30k miles was in mint condition as it was detailed once a year, as recently as April. No response yet!
Quoted price on the AWD RDX Tech was $39,388. (Sticker $43,495.) a savings of $4107. Also in addition, received loyalty rebate of $1,000. ( the 2016 RDX). Plus, as we were going to finance 10k any way, we decided to do it through Acura Finance at 3.49% (same rate as our bank) which gave us another $750. discount. So final price after incentives was $37,638. plus, taxes, etc. which by my calculations was a savings of $5857. below MSRP. There were no silly add ons like Protection Package, window tint, etching, etc. Also, wife decided at last minute that she preferred a Modern Steel with Grey interior. Dealer did not have one on lot, so he called up another dealer and had one brought over the next day so we could complete the sale. Lastly, this dealership offers, free oil changes, tire rotations, multi vehicle inspection, car wash as long as you own car and follow service schedule! An extra value bonus to us at no extra cost.
Was very pleased with the whole transaction. Salesman and general manager were a pleasure to deal with. Lend27, thanks again for your detailed pricing post which helped me tremendously.
Glad it worked out so well for you!
We love the RDX so far, but only 400 miles on it now :-).
Good Luck!
Len
Old 06-11-2019, 12:25 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought a 2019 Tech in September last year. Have had nothing but intermittent issues with Climate control, transmission "harsh shift", Passenger airbag light won't always go out even with passenger (115 lbs) in seat, Can't change radio stations from steering wheel, Parking brake goes on by itself, got stuck 2X and could not release. And a few more intermittent issues. Filed lemon law in January. Going for hearing in 2 weeks. Dealers always say vehicle is working as designed. This is my 8th Acura and never had any problems until this one. Don't know if the 2020 is better, but I'm never going back to Honda products after the way I was treated.
The following users liked this post:
dukeh62 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by homepro
I bought a 2019 Tech in September last year. Have had nothing but intermittent issues with Climate control, transmission "harsh shift", Passenger airbag light won't always go out even with passenger (115 lbs) in seat, Can't change radio stations from steering wheel, Parking brake goes on by itself, got stuck 2X and could not release. And a few more intermittent issues. Filed lemon law in January. Going for hearing in 2 weeks. Dealers always say vehicle is working as designed. This is my 8th Acura and never had any problems until this one. Don't know if the 2020 is better, but I'm never going back to Honda products after the way I was treated.
This is sad. With so many reported issues coming from a long time Acura customer, one would think they would have done a lemon buyback even if just out of goodwill. Let us know what happens at the hearing. Did you take pictures/videos of the problems at least in cases where possible?
Old 06-11-2019, 03:11 PM
2019 BMW X3 M40i

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
had nothing but intermittent issues with Climate control [...] And a few more intermittent issues.
Can you elaborate on those?
Old 06-11-2019, 03:46 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Alias1431
Can you elaborate on those?
In a nutshell, the only time I get cold air out of mine is to set it to LO and leave it. If I go up 1 degree to 59, I get warm air..

I told the dealer about it, and they flushed and recharged the system, but when it is 90 degrees out, the cabin never gets comfortable for me. My 2015 Hyundai Sonata handles this perfectly and the temperature goes up at the right amounts and if you set it to LO, it will freeze you out unlike the RDX.
Alias1431 (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 10:08 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
I am always sorry to hear of anyone having this sort of issues with a car. I was the Technical Advisor on a state Lemon Law committee for three years and saw many hundreds of cases. Many were just buyer remorse looking for a way out of a car they couldn't afford or had bought on impulse but a few were cars with lots of problems that didn't get taken care of. To be honest, most of the "lemon cars" that got bought back were more of result of bad dealers who did not diagnose or repair the car properly, not the manufacturer. I always felt bad for the car maker as they got stuck with the bill for the failure of a deal's service department. I now have to buy my own vehicles so I pick the brand, and more importantly the dealership, carefully. I only have 5,000 miles on my '19 RDX but it has been a really nice car as have all the Honda products (35 and counting in our family) before it.

Hope the Lemon Law thing works out for you and gets you resolution.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by hans471
Many were just buyer remorse looking for a way out of a car they couldn't afford or had bought on impulse but a few were cars with lots of problems that didn't get taken care of.
That's the problem with almost all laws. There are indisputably lemons, but there honestly aren't a lot of them. And then there are large numbers of people who are just putting in claims looking for a benefit like "let me see if they'll buy my story." It really makes me hate people.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DriverOne
That's the problem with almost all laws. There are indisputably lemons, but there honestly aren't a lot of them. And then there are large numbers of people who are just putting in claims looking for a benefit like "let me see if they'll buy my story." It really makes me hate people.
Right.

Dogs never do stuff like that. That’s why dogs are often the best people you ever meet.
Alias1431 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 09:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am looking into buying a 1 year used 2019 RDX A spec 17,000 miles. I got the deal from 40K down to 37.8K. Just wanted to get your guys opinion on the over all issues and the price I am paying for it....
I am coming from an Audi and just really liked the car over all, however, I do plan to keep it long term and hope it doesnt start giving me high maintenance like audi.
I do realize everything wears out over time, I just dont want to spend something for the next 5-6 years and very minimal after that.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Why is someone selling a one year old RDX? Some people have had a lot of issues with their cars, while most did not.

So why is this for sale? You need a real answer, not the salesmans answer.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OAcuraFanBoyO
I am looking into buying a 1 year used 2019 RDX A spec 17,000 miles. I got the deal from 40K down to 37.8K. Just wanted to get your guys opinion on the over all issues and the price I am paying for it....
I am coming from an Audi and just really liked the car over all, however, I do plan to keep it long term and hope it doesnt start giving me high maintenance like audi.
I do realize everything wears out over time, I just dont want to spend something for the next 5-6 years and very minimal after that.
I wouldn't do it. A brand new 2019 A-Spec is MSRP $43,600 right from Acura's website today. You could get it down from there. This guy drove the vehicle for 17,000 miles and started out basically at full price. That right there tells you he's trying to rip you off. Plus, a used car from a private purchase typically comes with no warranty. If you like the vehicle, get it from a dealer. Either that or totally gouge this guy with the price. Seriously, name something ridiculous like $20,000 just to tick him off.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:41 AM
Banned

Oh, and by the way, you shouldn't just gloss over 17,000 miles. That's not a lot of miles in the grand scheme of things, but he put it on in under a year. That's like 2.5 years of driving for me, probably. And did he put it on in city driving? How did he treat the car? What's his maintenance log? Don't do it. You're going to regret it and then you'll blame Acura products.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:06 PM
2019 BMW X3 M40i

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Bad deal.
Old 06-12-2019, 04:02 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Is this even AWD or just reg A Spec?
Avalf (06-26-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 04:37 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Is this even AWD or just reg A Spec?
This is AWD and A Spec.
Old 06-13-2019, 04:43 AM
Intermediate

I wouldn't do it. A brand new 2019 A-Spec is MSRP $43,600 right from Acura's website today. You could get it down from there. This guy drove the vehicle for 17,000 miles and started out basically at full price. That right there tells you he's trying to rip you off. Plus, a used car from a private purchase typically comes with no warranty. If you like the vehicle, get it from a dealer. Either that or totally gouge this guy with the price. Seriously, name something ridiculous like $20,000 just to tick him off.
I don't know about this. The website says 47K? I was thinking even if I use costco discount I could do bring it to 45 or 44.5 max.
This is through a dealer, not a private sale. The sales person version was that the original guy purchased it for his girl friend and she hated the infotainment. I don't know if this is true. Then he said she down graded to a simple accord.
Something about the story was not right. I did ask for maintenance records and he had gotten it serviced at acura twice they said. I asked for the records to be safe and for my peace of mind, and they said they will provide me that once I am ready to purchase it.

Most importantly, when I did the test drive, it did have brake squeaking slightly, but then when I turned off the sport mode, it seemed better. I don't know hence I am here!
Old 06-13-2019, 05:58 AM
Pro

I don't know about this. The website says 47K? I was thinking even if I use costco discount I could do bring it to 45 or 44.5 max.
This is through a dealer, not a private sale. The sales person version was that the original guy purchased it for his girl friend and she hated the infotainment. I don't know if this is true. Then he said she down graded to a simple accord.
Something about the story was not right. I did ask for maintenance records and he had gotten it serviced at acura twice they said. I asked for the records to be safe and for my peace of mind, and they said they will provide me that once I am ready to purchase it.

Most importantly, when I did the test drive, it did have brake squeaking slightly, but then when I turned off the sport mode, it seemed better. I don't know hence I am here!
It sounds like more the issue is that it was financially unfeasible for them to keep the car any longer, especially when she downgraded to an accord. Of course, it could be possible the RDX has been in an accident. Depending on if the car is in perfect condition, the price you got isn't too bad. 17,000 miles is a lot for personal use, especially only in a span of about a year.

I got my CPO '19 RDX Advance with 12k miles for $41,800. I know I overpaid, but the dealer installed the running boards. New ones run for at least $4500 more in my area in NJ. The car was a loaner from the service department and it had no damage whatsoever. It was black on black.

What state are you purchasing it from?
Old 06-13-2019, 05:59 AM
Pro

Oh, and another thing that drew me to CPO was that Acura gave me 1.9% financing for 60 months, which made the deal a lot better. Are you paying for yours cash or finance?
Old 06-13-2019, 06:06 AM
Intermediate

It sounds like more the issue is that it was financially unfeasible for them to keep the car any longer, especially when she downgraded to an accord. Of course, it could be possible the RDX has been in an accident. Depending on if the car is in perfect condition, the price you got isn't too bad. 17,000 miles is a lot for personal use, especially only in a span of about a year.

I got my CPO '19 RDX Advance with 12k miles for $41,800. I know I overpaid, but the dealer installed the running boards. New ones run for at least $4500 more in my area in NJ. The car was a loaner from the service department and it had no damage whatsoever. It was black on black.

What state are you purchasing it from?
Car fax is clean. No issues on that end.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:08 AM
Intermediate

Like I said, when I test drove, brakes squeaking was there. Everything else seemed fine. I did ask the salesperson if the old owner had any oil dilution issues. The sales person said the first owner was a good friend of his and hated the brakes squeaking and the infotainment system, nothing about oil dilution.
Moreover I was thinking this is still under warranty till 50,000 miles?
37.8K is before taxes so after tax it is close to 41K.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:12 AM
Pro

Like I said, when I test drove, brakes squeaking was there. Everything else seemed fine. I did ask the salesperson if the old owner had any oil dilution issues. The sales person said the first owner was a good friend of his and hated the brakes squeaking and the infotainment system, nothing about oil dilution.
If it is CPO'd, then it is 5 year 62,000 miles factory and 7 year 100,000 miles powertrain. Is that particular vehicle certified preowned?
Old 06-13-2019, 06:28 AM
Pro

If the car isn't certified preowned then I would run. There's no reason why the car wouldn't be certified especially this new unless it was in a prior accident or something was fishy with the car in the first place. You need to clarify with the dealer about the car more. Check all body panels and see if they line up.

I'll admit, the brake squeaking is also present on mine. I'll probably take the car in to the dealer to have them checked.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:50 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I never believe sales people on why a vehicle was traded in.....Not sure why one would believe them as many times they cant even answer a basic question such as how much does an oil chg cost....Not all issues a car has is reported to Carfax, so you can't fully rely on that. They would have taken a fairly big hit on trading it in, so it must have really bothered them.....I know people say..oh it has a warranty....but I really dont want to spend my time at a dealership, have better things to do. People are getting the Advance modle for around $44000 (plus taxes)in VA, so Im sure the spec is a bit less....I rather pay a bit more $$ and get a brand new car that has the full warranty....
Alias1431 (06-13-2019)
Old 06-13-2019, 06:53 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by flames9
I never believe sales people on why a vehicle was traded in.....Not sure why one would believe them as many times they cant even answer a basic question such as how much does an oil chg cost....Not all issues a car has is reported to Carfax, so you can't fully rely on that. They would have taken a fairly big hit on trading it in, so it must have really bothered them.....I know people say..oh it has a warranty....but I really dont want to spend my time at a dealership, have better things to do. People are getting the Advance modle for around $44000 (plus taxes)in VA, so Im sure the spec is a bit less....I rather pay a bit more $$ and get a brand new car that has the full warranty....
44000 with the AWD model? That's a great deal! Does that include the $1k destination charge?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:05 AM
Banned

Sorry, I didn't know it was AWD. If you go to the Acura website and build out a 2019 A-Spec with SH-AWD, it is $45,600 (with nothing else added). If you go to Acura's website, there is also a tab on the top that says "Certified" that will take you to CPO vehicles being sold by dealers, which may help you comparison shop. As an example, near me, there is a 2019 A-Spec with SH-AWD for $41,804. The main difference is it has 6,000 miles on it, which sounds a lot more reasonable than 17,000. So even if you're getting a few thousand dollars off, I still think you're getting ripped off for the amount of mileage on it and the fact that it's not certified. Really shop, too. The same dealer has a second 2019 A-Spec with SH-AWD with 8,000 miles on it for $47,000, which is weird, but whatever.

If it's a dealer sale, is it an Acura dealer? Or a random third-party dealer? And if it's a dealer, why won't they give you records right off the bat and why won't they certify it? Is there a warranty they're providing? If not, why not? I've never bought a used car, but my understanding is that a reputable dealer will give you an extension over the standard warranty. I still think you're getting taken on the price. Shop around and haggle some more. Listen, 17,000 miles is a LOT of miles to drive before the girlfriend supposedly realizes she doesn't like the squealing. I don't buy the story. I know you want the car, but don't get blinded. At least look at other car prices.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:11 AM
Banned

BTW, with my above example, I wouldn't take $42,000 for a used RDX when the brand new price MSRP is $45,600, either. I was just listing it as a comparison for your car, not as a "this is a great price" example. Keep in mind, when you drive off the lot, the second your car hits the road, one foot of mileage, the popular saying is that it loses 50% value. Try selling a new car back to the dealer as soon as you get it off the lot. They'll totally rip you on the price. So don't take this stinking few thousand dollars off business. You have to play hard ball, imo, especially if it's not perfect with brake squealing and definitely with 17,000 miles on it, which is like a rental car. I don't know what I would ask, maybe ...$34,000? I don't know. But you're still over-paying.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:16 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
44000 with the AWD model? That's a great deal! Does that include the $1k destination charge?
Can't recall to be honest...that was back at the end of Oct 2018.....Pohanka Acura..And I didnt end up buying a RDX...They are know for low prices......
Old 06-13-2019, 07:47 AM
Pro

Also, when I bought my CPO Advance car, the key fobs Acura gave me has the remote start button on them. Does that mean my car has remote start?

Do all RDX's have the engine start button on their key fobs?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:48 AM
Banned

Also, when I bought my CPO Advance car, the key fobs Acura gave me has the remote start button on them. Does that mean my car has remote start?

Do all RDX's have the engine start button on their key fobs?
Uh ...if you don't know if you car has remote start, why not just try to remote start it?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:52 AM
Pro

Uh ...if you don't know if you car has remote start, why not just try to remote start it?
My car is parked a couple blocks down in the garage and I don't feel like walking there to try it out. When I did press the button, nothing happens. Is there a special combo button I have to press to get it to start?
Old 06-13-2019, 07:55 AM
Banned

My car is parked a couple blocks down in the garage and I don't feel like walking there to try it out. When I did press the button, nothing happens. Is there a special combo button I have to press to get it to start?
Yes. You press the lock button (just click it, don't hold it). Then hold down the Engine Hold button for 3-4 seconds and release. If the fob flashes green, it is successful (so you don't have to be in direct sight to know).

Quick Reply: Need advice on 2019/2020 Acura RDX please