Navigation Screen

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 12:59 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by MHarnois
You've made it clear in multiple comments that you hate a lot of things about this RDX (most of them unfounded I would say) so maybe you need to focus your attention on something else.
Too, it is not as if one couldn’t turn it off if one’s drive that day would encounter that unusual combination. Were I to drive into NYC in the summer, it is easy enough to turn off, while leaving it alone in my normal suburban driving. The two things that give me pause, personally, are the current limitations on zooming the map, and exactly how much storage space is there in the ‘trunk’ when the roll-up cover is closed.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:07 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
And he says he's a pilot so you'd think he could manage. I wouldn't fly with him that's for sure.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:08 PM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog

Too, it is not as if one couldn’t turn it off if one’s drive that day would encounter that unusual combination. Were I to drive into NYC in the summer, it is easy enough to turn off, while leaving it alone in my normal suburban driving.

True, pushing the button to turn it off doesn't seem like a big deal to me. The button is even right there near the driving mode selector.
Old 06-23-2018, 01:49 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
Having had the idle-stop on 3 different Acuras now, it really doesnt turn off the motor that much anyway. AC blowing, stopped on a hill, windshield defroster on, etc. Basically anything puttting load on the engine will prevent the idle stop from engaging. Or simply press a button and turn it off, one of many button presses you may have to do during the drive.
Old 06-23-2018, 02:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MHarnois
And he says he's a pilot so you'd think he could manage. I wouldn't fly with him that's for sure.
I think these things are manageable too. I am an old guy too, 68, and in my working years I led the office transition from paper processing to mainframe terminal processing, and then to LAN processing, all the while the professional workers lost the clerical workforce. There was some mighty big griping then, I’ll tell you. The word from the top was that technology is a train, hop on board or get run over. People learned what they had to in order to get the job done.

There are no perfect cars, and if all of this car’s fine attributes outweigh its current perceived shortcomings, then people will adapt. This car is at the forefront of today’s technology. There are other cars for people who want to take a back seat.

(I’m already thinking that I could run a second Nav via Apple Car Play, simultaneously with the active Nav, and just switch views if needed.)
Old 06-23-2018, 09:46 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
(I’m already thinking that I could run a second Nav via Apple Car Play, simultaneously with the active Nav, and just switch views if needed.)
I tried this out for a while yesterday, and I think it's a viable stop-gap measure. It may be better when Google Maps becomes available on CarPlay, which is supposed to happen with iOS 12.

If I get really desperate, there's always the Rand McNally Road Atlas, in North-Up mode. Can't beat the big, high resolution display.
The following users liked this post:
Madd Dog (06-24-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Personally, I like Waze since the crowd sourced traffic is pretty darned accurate, much better than Google Maps, but that was years ago. Waze is also coming to iOS. Then again, I use android.
Madd Dog (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 05:08 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
I’ve done something similar in my 2013 RDX, practically since I bought it, because of dissatisfaction with the hobbles Acura placed on operating its nav system. I ran a Garmin, and then Waze, in addition to the built-in nav.

So, on my first road-trip in the new RDX (400 miles), I used Apple Maps via Car Play, intending to switch between the two navs. I found that I had no need for the built-in system on a road trip. Going down an Interstate at 70 mph, Acura’s system stayed on Ľ or ⅜ mile scale—that is useless, I can just as well find my way by looking out the window. The only time it switched out of those scales was if the route guidance voice announced something, then the map display would zoom out to include the next turn or whatever—then, afterwards, zoom right back in. After a while I just stopped viewing the built-in system and stayed with Maps.

Maps had useful info, including traffic info with estimated times for alternate routing, and continuous display of time of arrival and time & distance remaining. Time of arrival was pretty much dead-on, from early in the trip. Waze and Garmin always had an accurate TOA, also. The 2013 RDX was always off by 20 to 40 minutes (long) depending on length of the trip; I don’t know if later model years improved on that. I also don’t know whether the 2019 is any better, because I never looked at it after the first 150 miles.
Madd Dog (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 07:30 AM
Drifting

Does the two finger tap work to zoom out Apple Maps in the RDX?
Old 06-24-2018, 10:04 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Perhaps someone should explain (or direct me to a written explanation) of how “smart” the auto stop start system is. If left “ON” does it have parameters programmed in to it so it will NOT turn the engine off if those parameters are met or not met? (ie: when certain accessories are running?, when on an incline?,etc etc)
A previous poster has suggested the system makes those judgements automatically.... is that true?

Thanks
Old 06-24-2018, 10:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob175
Perhaps someone should explain (or direct me to a written explanation) of how “smart” the auto stop start system is. If left “ON” does it have parameters programmed in to it so it will NOT turn the engine off if those parameters are met or not met? (ie: when certain accessories are running?, when on an incline?,etc etc)
A previous poster has suggested the system makes those judgements automatically.... is that true?

Thanks
Per the owner's manual:

■ Auto Idle Stop does not activate when:
• The Auto Idle Stop OFF button is pressed.
• The driver’s seat belt is not fastened.
• The engine coolant temperature is low or high.
• The transmission fluid temperature is low or high.
• The vehicle comes to a stop again before the vehicle speed reaches 3 mph (5
km/h) after the engine starts.
• Stopped on a steep incline.
• The transmission is in a position other than (D.
• The engine is started with the hood open.
u Turn off the engine. Close the hood before you restart the engine to activate
Auto Idle Stop.
• The battery charge is low.
• The internal temperature of the battery is 14°F (−10°C). or less.
• The climate control system is in use, and the outside temperature is below −4°F
(−20°C) or over 104°F (40°C).
• The climate control system is in use, and the temperature is set to the Hi or Lo.
• is ON (indicator on).
• The dynamic mode is changed to Snow or Sport+ mode.

In addition:

■ Auto Idle Stop may not activate when:
• The vehicle is stopped by braking suddenly.
• The steering wheel is operated.
• Altitude is high.
• The vehicle is repeatedly accelerated and decelerated at a low speed.
• The climate control system is in use, and there is a significant difference between
the set temperature and the actual interior temperature.
• The climate control system is in use, and humidity in the interior is high.
DWG (06-24-2018)
Old 06-24-2018, 10:24 AM
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Excellent information.....THANKS! Makes the system a little more acceptable.
Now Acura needs to fix the Nav “Zoom” feature to mirror most all other systems. I’ll be reading these posts to learn if and when that happens.
Old 06-24-2018, 11:49 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Does the two finger tap work to zoom out Apple Maps in the RDX?
Nope. No gestures seem to be enabled.

Maybe if/when native support gets added to CarPlay for the "True Touchpad Interface". It's only supported as a laptop style trackpad at this time.
Old 06-25-2018, 07:29 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Wander
Nope. No gestures seem to be enabled.

Maybe if/when native support gets added to CarPlay for the "True Touchpad Interface". It's only supported as a laptop style trackpad at this time.
Thanks.

Hopefully, it could be changed in software.