This is my last Acura

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2019, 03:53 PM
CGO
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is my last Acura

I bought this 2019 rdx platinum elite June 2018 with the promise of android auto soon. Oct 9 2019 and still no android auto.
Old 10-09-2019, 03:58 PM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
Kind of fickle, but you do you.
The following 3 users liked this post by kurtatx:
DarkNinja75 (10-10-2019), Midnight Mystery (10-10-2019), Shoofin (10-20-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 05:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I think that it kinda sucks to advertise a car with particular features and then not deliver on them. But then again, AA probably would crash all of the time anyway.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:25 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Vote with your wallet
The following users liked this post:
Midnight Mystery (10-10-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Would be cheaper to get an i-phone.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 191 Posts
I’m sick of hearing about no android auto, yea it sucks, but you really need a whole thread to rant about this?
The following 5 users liked this post by Dereileak:
blexann (10-09-2019), hockeyaddict (10-10-2019), justnspace (10-10-2019), markm929 (10-10-2019), Midnight Mystery (10-10-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 05:37 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Why is everyone so infatuated with this shit? This is the first car I’ve had with Apple CarPlay and it fucking blows. To not buy a car without this feature? How asinine. It’s shit. I would rather just use my phone on Bluetooth.
Old 10-09-2019, 05:54 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
AA or no AA, the infotainment system is a big letdown in an otherwise good car.

Apple Carplay is wonky on this thing, so don't run out and buy an iPhone thinking that will make everything better.

Unless you just really want an iPhone, in which case go for it. And then pray the USB interface in your car is better behaved than the one in mine.

I, for one, am tired of being a Honda/Acura guinea pig / beta tester. I never thought I would start thinking about Jeeps again because they are less trouble than the competition. WTF?

And I, for one, reserve the right to rant. If anyone finds a thread uninteresting/ annoying/ redundant they can simply choose to ignore it. This is just one little tunnel in the endless rabbit hole of the internet.... move on.
GeorgeW1965 (11-03-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 06:10 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
Why is everyone so infatuated with this shit? This is the first car I’ve had with Apple CarPlay and it fucking blows. To not buy a car without this feature? How asinine. It’s shit. I would rather just use my phone on Bluetooth.
I don't think the problem is that it doesn't have it; it's that Acura promised that it will come, and they have not delivered on that promise. It's the loss of credibility here that is the most concerning. Honestly, I think they would have better off just not evening offering AA/CarPlay and prevent 90% of the complaints from ever being formed.

As an example, I never use XM radio, I don't care one iota about whether or not a car comes with it. However, if it doesn't work correctly or the company says they'll retroactively offer it and they don't make good on that promise, you better bet I'd be ticked off, because next time maybe it's a feature that I do use that they don't stand behind.

Last edited by fiatlux; 10-09-2019 at 06:12 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Honestly, I think they would have better off just not evening offering AA/CarPlay and prevent 90% of the complaints from ever being formed.
Except they skimped on the built-in navigation system assuming nearly everyone would use AA/CarPlay on their phones instead. Can't have it both ways.
Lucky13's (10-20-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 06:15 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
I get that. Acura made a mistake promising something they couldn't deliver. At this point though it's not clear whether it's Honda's problem or something at Google, from what I've read.

What I have learned over the last two decades is never to buy anything based on planned features or upgrades - they never come when you think they will, or they never come at all. Caveat emptor et stercore.
The following 3 users liked this post by Waetherman:
DarkNinja75 (10-10-2019), dopeboy1 (10-10-2019), justnspace (10-10-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 08:39 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Hey Acura are you listening?
Old 10-10-2019, 02:57 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Reason I'd never buy a rdx again is because of a four banging turbo mated with a clumsy 10 speed.
AA will be the least of the concerns once the warranty expires
Old 10-10-2019, 03:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 296 Posts
I'll consider Acura again for the same reason I got the RDX -- it's the cheapest in its segment and has acceptable amounts of performance, comfort, and tech for my needs. I have an iPhone but CarPlay is so bad I have it disabled.

If they had delivered Android Auto, but it worked real bad, would you be happy? Given the way the infotainment works, I wouldn't set my expectations too high even if they should release it.

These are tough times for auto manufacturers as the industry is going through big time disruption in terms of alternative drive trains and infotainment systems. Many of them have had problems with delivering competitive products. Naturally size matters when it comes to investing in disrupting R&D, and Honda is one of the smaller players. At least their price is commensurate with what they deliver.

The big mistake they made in this situation is allowing their dealers to mislead customers by promising them the functionality that they have been unable to deliver. That's a desperate move on their part and should not have been done.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:49 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I’m getting ready to purchase my first Acura this month. When compared to the competitors, the RDX simply gives the most bang for the buck. Yes, it’s not perfect, but join the BMW, Audi, Lexus, and Mercedes forums and you’ll see all the competitors have their own set of problems. And the RDX is a solid $5k less for the Advance trim.

Im just having a hard time buying anything in this price range as it’s also my first luxury car. But the more I research, the more I keep coming back to the Acura.
hockeyaddict (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 07:42 AM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuzz
I’m getting ready to purchase my first Acura this month. When compared to the competitors, the RDX simply gives the most bang for the buck. Yes, it’s not perfect, but join the BMW, Audi, Lexus, and Mercedes forums and you’ll see all the competitors have their own set of problems. And the RDX is a solid $5k less for the Advance trim.

Im just having a hard time buying anything in this price range as it’s also my first luxury car. But the more I research, the more I keep coming back to the Acura.
As a car, it is very, very good. Comfortable, fast enough for its class, slightly low fuel economy, very good driving aids, and it drives well in all sorts of weather. It falls down greatly in the infotainment area, but if you keep it simple, things generally work.

Do not count on getting any features that are not already working. AA may never come, and if it does, usability may be a significant issue. The built-in navigation sucks and is no more useful than a rolling map with intermittent and inaccurate traffic info. The ‘yearly’ map updates have never come in the 14 months I have owned the car.

Having said all that, I still like driving the car, and it is my choice for road trips. I just keep it simple, and do not mess with map changes and music source changes for each driving session. If I set up Waze and Amazon music for my next destination, that is what I use until I get there for a stop. I will turn the music off or on, but not try to switch to Pandora. Same with the nav app.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:22 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It really sucks that so many people are having issues with Carplay in this vehicle, I have a 2020 RDX ASpec and I have an iPhone, I have zero problems running CarPlay.

There must different versions of software running these infotainment systems, not sure why Acrua can't sync these updates to all vehicles.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:35 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by Yotrek
Hey Acura are you listening?
no, they never listen...

if you look back at history, Acura tells us, the customer what we want...NOT the other way around.

Anyone who thinks different will always get burned
Old 10-10-2019, 08:48 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
As a car, it is very, very good. Comfortable, fast enough for its class, slightly low fuel economy, very good driving aids, and it drives well in all sorts of weather. It falls down greatly in the infotainment area, but if you keep it simple, things generally work.

Do not count on getting any features that are not already working. AA may never come, and if it does, usability may be a significant issue. The built-in navigation sucks and is no more useful than a rolling map with intermittent and inaccurate traffic info. The ‘yearly’ map updates have never come in the 14 months I have owned the car.

Having said all that, I still like driving the car, and it is my choice for road trips. I just keep it simple, and do not mess with map changes and music source changes for each driving session. If I set up Waze and Amazon music for my next destination, that is what I use until I get there for a stop. I will turn the music off or on, but not try to switch to Pandora. Same with the nav app.
I think I will be fine then as long as I can get my iPhone to display Apple maps on the large screen for driving directions and am/fm radio for listening. That’s about as complicated as I get. I don’t do satellite radio or streaming music ever. Occasionally I may want to play an album stored on my iPhone.

My “big” decision will be whether to add my music CDs to my phone, or put them on a flash drive to listen to. Or maybe some other Bluetooth devices I can then connect to the car and probably never use...
Old 10-10-2019, 08:54 AM
Drifting

Folks have had problems with their flash drives. Just saying.

I am in the Appleverse, and my personal music was on iTunes and has been moved to my phone. So when I want my own music, I tell Siri what to play, and it plays.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:23 AM
Pro

Received 196 Likes on 124 Posts
My CarPlay acts fine in my A-Spec. Every time a software update comes out I install it, write down my presets for Fm Radio and Sirius, do the factory reset, and put back my stations. Easy breezy done with no issues. Also I wait for the system to spoil up before plugging in my phone. Works for me this way and.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:14 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cuzz
I think I will be fine then as long as I can get my iPhone to display Apple maps on the large screen for driving directions and am/fm radio for listening. That’s about as complicated as I get. I don’t do satellite radio or streaming music ever. Occasionally I may want to play an album stored on my iPhone.

My “big” decision will be whether to add my music CDs to my phone, or put them on a flash drive to listen to. Or maybe some other Bluetooth devices I can then connect to the car and probably never use...
I'm not convinced the problems with CarPlay are all software related.

I think the USB communications port isn't up to spec and it has intermittent data transmission problems. As minimal anecdotal evidence for this, I recently went on a desperate spasm of replacing cables and cleaning my iPhone port, including a trip to an Apple Store to make sure I had it right ( they said they had seldom seen one so clean... ). Sadly, I didn't completely eliminate dropouts during CarPlay music playback, but I did make it worse for a while, and then better again. I think it ended up better than when I started.

Whether this is a problem in all 3rd-gen RDXs I don't know, but there is strange language in the Owner's Manual about what you should plug into the USB port. I think they know it isn't robust.

Last edited by Wander; 10-10-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-10-2019, 11:36 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
honestly this kind of rant is sooooo moronic. If you do some kind of research you will see why this has taken this long.... first, they said AA will be available... obviously with the new infotainment acura has, which is far better looking than the outed look they before, has a wide screen with a new input interface unlike any other manufacture. The issue is AA was getting a LONG over due update that supported different screen sizes. Sooo, Acura had to wait for this AA update. It came in august...it's barely been two months. Now that they have the update they need to customize it using their input interface, I'm actually a software developer and trust me there are always bugs and hotfix's that comes with customizing a software for this style of interface. so alot of development and QA testing has to be done before release. We all can say that this infotainment will be on all acura models moving forward. so obviously they will have to get AA working. just be patient. the stock nav has not bugged me and between sat radio and blutooth and fm radio im set.

Last edited by not2envy; 10-10-2019 at 11:39 AM.
hockeyaddict (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 01:17 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 482 Likes on 224 Posts
Originally Posted by TopShelf
It really sucks that so many people are having issues with Carplay in this vehicle, I have a 2020 RDX ASpec and I have an iPhone, I have zero problems running CarPlay.

There must different versions of software running these infotainment systems, not sure why Acura can't sync these updates to all vehicles.
I have had very few issues with CarPlay as well, so as odd as it may seem, there must be something amiss in some cars that is sort of OK in others.

That being said, it is very hard to fathom that this car model has been out since late June last year and we have only gotten 3 over the air updates and 0 map updates. The fact that so many people are having infotainment issues and the problem has yet to be corrected - and a new model year has arrived - it just beyond belief. Inexcusable.

I really love my car and plan on keeping it for a while, but I am totally afraid that in 2021 or 2022 they are going to come out with a 'fixed' infotainment that is totally incompatible with the hardware in the 19-20 and possibly 21 cars, and in order to fully obtain what I paid for in 2018 I will have to purchase a new car.

That will be a very difficult decision.
Old 10-10-2019, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by not2envy
honestly this kind of rant is sooooo moronic. If you do some kind of research you will see why this has taken this long.... first, they said AA will be available... obviously with the new infotainment acura has, which is far better looking than the outed look they before, has a wide screen with a new input interface unlike any other manufacture. The issue is AA was getting a LONG over due update that supported different screen sizes. Sooo, Acura had to wait for this AA update. It came in august...it's barely been two months. Now that they have the update they need to customize it using their input interface, I'm actually a software developer and trust me there are always bugs and hotfix's that comes with customizing a software for this style of interface. so alot of development and QA testing has to be done before release. We all can say that this infotainment will be on all acura models moving forward. so obviously they will have to get AA working. just be patient. the stock nav has not bugged me and between sat radio and blutooth and fm radio im set.
As a software developer too, this is exactly how i feel as well.
not2envy (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 02:22 PM
Drifting

As an end user, I say to get it right and don’t give excuses or a half finished product when I pay significant money for something.

And be honest. Don’t have your people imply or represent that the update is just around the corner, which is what they have been doing for over a year.
Lucky13's (10-20-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 02:36 PM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 107 Posts
I have had my Palisade for almost 3 months and already received a map update and a couple of feature upgrades. AA and Carplay work fantastic and the most important part is that it never just slams on the brakes like my RDX did... I hope and pray that none of you ever experience the sudden slam on the brakes at 70+ mph like mine did and even after a re-calibration.
The following 2 users liked this post by Meto:
Lucky13's (10-20-2019), rdubwhit (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 02:54 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Sorry, MeToo, but I'd rather have a buggy Acura RDX than be caught driving a Hyundai Palisade. And quite frankly, the fact that you keep posting in almost every forum thread where members are complaining about the Acura infotainment system is pretty weak.

But that's just me!
The following 2 users liked this post by oblio98:
PAPI007 (10-10-2019), Waetherman (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 03:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by oblio98
Sorry, MeToo, but I'd rather have a buggy Acura RDX than be caught driving a Hyundai Palisade. And quite frankly, the fact that you keep posting in almost every forum thread where members are complaining about the Acura infotainment system is pretty weak.

But that's just me!
To each their own, but I don't consider it trolling when I am telling the truth. Also, don't give me this crap that you are not having issues with USB audio as I know better. You sure as hell are not using a 256GB drive and having a "pleasant" experience... That is a weak statement on your part and far from truthful and you are doing an injustice to the readers of this forum who are looking to purchase the RDX.

Last edited by Meto; 10-10-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:08 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
My last car was a 2010 Fusion Hybrid. I was never looking for the fastest or bestest handling car out there. My list was pretty short; a great sound system and Android Auto. Period. It seemed like the RDX was going to be perfect.

Everything else is gravy. This car has plenty of gravy. Boatloads of gravy. But the sound system is flaky as can be, spoiling the wonderful music with dropouts and static-like noise. Android Auto, well, nuff said.

I get that other people's priorities are different and the quality and or reliability of the music isn't top or thinking that manufacturer apps would ever come close to crowd sourced guidance, but please consider that some of us do, in fact, have our top priorities on what this car is lacking in the most.

I don't rant and rave about this and try to stay positive and constructive, but it is getting very old.
The following 2 users liked this post by Smilin_Jim:
Old 10-10-2019, 03:16 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict
As a software developer too, this is exactly how i feel as well.
If, as a software designer, you think that it is OK to promise a multitude of things that never show up, design an interface that doesn't work until another vendor modifies their software and flat out lies about things (like quarterly map updates) then you are either a really bad developer or you work for Honda/Acura.

There is no excuse for any of this. If other companies (Kia/Hyundai, VW, GM, Ford, FCA and many others) can make AA work on their cars, then what excuse does Acura have to have royally screwed this up on the RDX?

"We made a new interface just because" isn't a good reason.

The original iDrive was a clunky input method but everything worked as it was designed.
Lucky13's (10-20-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 03:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Smilin_Jim
My last car was a 2010 Fusion Hybrid. I was never looking for the fastest or bestest handling car out there. My list was pretty short; a great sound system and Android Auto. Period. It seemed like the RDX was going to be perfect.

Everything else is gravy. This car has plenty of gravy. Boatloads of gravy. But the sound system is flaky as can be, spoiling the wonderful music with dropouts and static-like noise. Android Auto, well, nuff said.

I get that other people's priorities are different and the quality and or reliability of the music isn't top or thinking that manufacturer apps would ever come close to crowd sourced guidance, but please consider that some of us do, in fact, have our top priorities on what this car is lacking in the most.

I don't rant and rave about this and try to stay positive and constructive, but it is getting very old.
Good point Jim.. When I first saw the RDX, I fell in love with it and after the test drive I was sold. One of my requirements was a great sound system where I could listen to my personal catalog of music and use Android Auto. Not only was I hoodwinked by the sales people on those two items, but then the car proved itself to be less than reliable and a safety nightmare. I am very happy that a lot of people have not experienced what I went through and I feel fortunate that I managed to get away from the vehicle.

People keep asking why I am here, why do I care and why I keep posting about my Palisade? Because it is my god given right to offer my opinion on my new car, my Lemon RDX or any other car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Meto:
Old 10-10-2019, 03:23 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Ridiculous. I just bought a used 2017 Chevy that was advertised as having Android Auto. It doesn't. I'm not going to claim to NEVER buy another Chevy for this reason.

(They had a free update under the 36k mile B2B warranty that let you install it, but the previous owner never got it and now it's past that warranty. $135 if I want it.)
Old 10-10-2019, 03:41 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Meto
Good point Jim.. When I first saw the RDX, I fell in love with it and after the test drive I was sold. One of my requirements was a great sound system where I could listen to my personal catalog of music and use Android Auto. Not only was I hoodwinked by the sales people on those two items, but then the car proved itself to be less than reliable and a safety nightmare. I am very happy that a lot of people have not experienced what I went through and I feel fortunate that I managed to get away from the vehicle.

People keep asking why I am here, why do I care and why I keep posting about my Palisade? Because it is my god given right to offer my opinion on my new car, my Lemon RDX or any other car.
Yea, but what's the point? Your car was the exception to the rule. There are Lemons in all makes and models. Even Toyota/Lexus have them. It's the nature of mass production. Acura took the car back and you're still complaining about it. Thank your stars you didn't buy American ... you'd still have the POS and likely be talking with a lawyer about how to dump the car. I'm sure there's someone with a Palisade swearing off Korean cars right now. When I stopped wrenching on cars, I swore to never buy Korean (even being Korean myself). They reverse engineer shit with little thought. Plus, the parts they use that the average customer doesn't see are complete dogshit ... ie: most of the stuff under the car that needs serviced. This is generally why they can offer cars that are competitive while undercutting the cost of the competition. Maybe it's changed in recent years since I haven't wrenched on other people's cars in 8yrs ...
oblio98 (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 03:46 PM
Drifting

[...] alot of development and QA testing has to be done before release.
This is the only part of your post that is relevant ( and not offensive ). Hard emphasis on BEFORE.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:49 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
Yea, but what's the point? Your car was the exception to the rule. There are Lemons in all makes and models. Even Toyota/Lexus have them. It's the nature of mass production. Acura took the car back and you're still complaining about it. Thank your stars you didn't buy American ... you'd still have the POS and likely be talking with a lawyer about how to dump the car. I'm sure there's someone with a Palisade swearing off Korean cars right now. When I stopped wrenching on cars, I swore to never buy Korean (even being Korean myself). They reverse engineer shit with little thought. Plus, the parts they use that the average customer doesn't see are complete dogshit ... ie: most of the stuff under the car that needs serviced. This is generally why they can offer cars that are competitive while undercutting the cost of the competition. Maybe it's changed in recent years since I haven't wrenched on other people's cars in 8yrs ...
Not only did Acura take the car back, Meto got $5k extra for his troubles! He made money off the car.

He also had a major front end accident with the car which was over $10k in repairs. He’s super lucky and I would be so happy if I were him. I don’t understand why he’s still so sour about it.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 10-10-2019 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:11 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkNinja75
Ridiculous. I just bought a used 2017 Chevy that was advertised as having Android Auto. It doesn't. I'm not going to claim to NEVER buy another Chevy for this reason.

(They had a free update under the 36k mile B2B warranty that let you install it, but the previous owner never got it and now it's past that warranty. $135 if I want it.)
Sounds like that Chevy has AA available for a modest amount. That the prior owner didn't get it fired up isn't GM's fault.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:16 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

To each their own, but I don't consider it trolling when I am telling the truth. Also, don't give me this crap that you are not having issues with USB audio as I know better. You sure as hell are not using a 256GB drive and having a "pleasant" experience... That is a weak statement on your part and far from truthful and you are doing an injustice to the readers of this forum who are looking to purchase the RDX.
The only thing you're right about is me being wrong is that I'm using a 256Gb HD, I'm using a 512Gb HD. I am sorry your Acura was a POS, but mine is not. I've said over and over my sole issue is an occasional screech during playback. My AirPlay is fine. I still have my car. You ran. Case closed.
Old 10-10-2019, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CGO
I bought this 2019 rdx platinum elite June 2018 with the promise of android auto soon. Oct 9 2019 and still no android auto.
I'm with you 100%. It's not just the lack of Android Auto, it's the crappy infotainment system and the lack of communication from Acura!
Lucky13's (10-20-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 04:32 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had my Palisade for almost 3 months and already received a map update and a couple of feature upgrades. AA and Carplay work fantastic and the most important part is that it never just slams on the brakes like my RDX did... I hope and pray that none of you ever experience the sudden slam on the brakes at 70+ mph like mine did and even after a re-calibration.
My wife just had the sudden slam on brakes for no reason as well! I had no idea that this had happened to someone else!

Quick Reply: This is my last Acura