AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   My First A1 Service (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/my-first-a1-service-977339/)

mrblase 02-20-2019 03:08 PM

My First A1 Service

2019 Advanced model purchased in June 2018 was showing A1 service due at 7,100 miles. Had a free first service coupon so I brought it to the selling dealer today. Also asked the service writer to take a look at some other issues, which were airbag sensor light does not go off on passengers side occasionally, transmission shifting is irregular in the first 3 gears and an occasional clunk at highway speeds when resuming speed while on cruise control, infotainment issues that have been made worse with the 2 updates that have been sent out and squeaky brakes in cold wet weather. With regard to the transmission shifting issues I made reference to the alleged software update, which has been mentioned on this site.

First thing I noticed was that the posted price for an oil and filter change with 0W-20 oil was priced at $30, with 5W-20 the price was $40 and all 2019 RDX's were $89. I asked the service manager why the significant price increase for RDX's and was told that due to the high performance of this engine Acura/Honda recommends a special performance package be added to the 0W-20 full synthetic oil to insure that the engine and turbo are fully protected. If you are doing your own oil changes you might want to check with your dealer to see if they are recommending an additive package and what it is. I find nothing on the invoice showing this additive package but there a lot of codes and since there was no charge they are all coded as N/C. I'm tempted to check with another dealer in the area about this. Makes my prepaid 8 oil change and tire rotations for $275 an even better deal than I thought at time of purchase.

Transmission software update does not show as available for my VIN. The service manager and I looked for ANY dealer updates through the dealers WIFI network and the car came back as up to date. He suggested that I drive in Sport mode for the next 4 weeks, using premium gas, which I already do, and see if the 1-2-3 shifting issues get better or are resolved. His feeling is that by driving in Comfort mode the shift points are not suited to my more aggressive driving style. If I don't see or feel a difference bring it back in but there are NO software updates for my VIN at this time and no error codes stored. He could have a point here as everything is slower and more relaxed in Comfort mode.

Air Bag light issue could not be duplicated and my complaint was the first that he's had. Take a picture next time and come in as soon as possible with it so he can pass it on to Acura if there is not an error code stored..

Infotainment system will be getting another update by mid-March. Many complaints about this and about the first 2 update's making things worse. No information on Android Auto.

Madd Dog 02-20-2019 04:00 PM

Additives are booshirt. It isn’t Acura that recommends additives, it is the Acura dealer.

catbert430 02-20-2019 04:13 PM

Nah, I had my A-1 service last month at 7,300 miles.
Just the standard 0W20, filter, and gasket. No additives.

ross7777 02-20-2019 04:15 PM

How the heck is premium fuel going to help with transmission shifting?

Madd Dog 02-20-2019 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by ross7777 (Post 16386067)

They just say ‘em, they don’t explain ‘em, and “add some techron” while you’re at it.

Wander 02-20-2019 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by ross7777 (Post 16386067)

The engine controller and transmission controller work together to "feather" the shifts. The programming assumes a predictable response of the engine, so anything that alters that response could conceivably degrade shift quality.

Having said that, unless the gas is especially bad, I kinda doubt this is a major effect.

Pearl77 02-20-2019 07:14 PM

I think the dealer is blowing smoke at you about Acura recommending some special additive to the oil, and then charging $50 bucks more for it. Owner's manual calls for 0W-20 (mine does not say anything about any kind of additive) and I think if you put in a good brand of synthetic at that viscosity, you will be fine.

Njbrandon 02-20-2019 08:24 PM

How much is everyone paying for A1 and B1 services so I have an idea of what to expect?

Dereileak 02-20-2019 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Njbrandon (Post 16386260)
How much is everyone paying for A1 and B1 services so I have an idea of what to expect?

I get my first 2 free otherwise I think it would of been like $85 with tax for oil change and tire rotation

zroger73 02-21-2019 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by mrblase (Post 16386012)
First thing I noticed was that the posted price for an oil and filter change with 0W-20 oil was priced at $30, with 5W-20 the price was $40 and all 2019 RDX's were $89. I asked the service manager why the significant price increase for RDX's and was told that due to the high performance of this engine Acura/Honda recommends a special performance package be added to the 0W-20 full synthetic oil to insure that the engine and turbo are fully protected.

I'd march right back in and show them page 535 of the Owner's Manual that states:

"Engine Oil Additives
Your vehicle does not require oil additives. In fact, they may adversely affect the engine performance and durability."

Regarding the passenger's airbag light, can you clarify what is happening? Some owners are reporting issues where the "passenger airbag OFF" light stays on even when a person weighing more than 65 lbs. is sitting in the seat. So far, Honda is denying there is a problem.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...switch-974904/

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...f0f65128cf.png

mrblase 02-21-2019 07:13 PM

I received a call today from an employee at the dealership where I had the service performed asking if they could do anything better, we're all my concerns and questions answered and if I was completely satisfied. So I asked her about the $50 price difference between all other Accra models and the 2019 RDX. I mentioned that the service writer said it was for an additive package because it's a high performance turbo engine but I couldn't see anything on the invoice showing that anything but oil, filter and a washer were used. She said that she would take this up with the service manager who would call me back for sure with the answer. We no callback and honestly I don't expect one. It seems to me they are just taking advantage of new RDX owners. Very poor fist impression of this dealers service department.

flames9 02-21-2019 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by mrblase (Post 16386907)
I received a call today from an employee at the dealership where I had the service performed asking if they could do anything better, we're all my concerns and questions answered and if I was completely satisfied. So I asked her about the $50 price difference between all other Accra models and the 2019 RDX. I mentioned that the service writer said it was for an additive package because it's a high performance turbo engine but I couldn't see anything on the invoice showing that anything but oil, filter and a washer were used. She said that she would take this up with the service manager who would call me back for sure with the answer. We no callback and honestly I don't expect one. It seems to me they are just taking advantage of new RDX owners. Very poor fist impression of this dealers service department.

if he does call back...make mention of Zrogers post regarding the manual stating NOT to add any additives!! The Acura dealership here in Laurel MD charges $50 for full synthetic chg

Base2014RDX 02-22-2019 12:05 AM

Oil additives? Hahahaha!

Madd Dog 02-22-2019 08:17 AM

I’m down in Naples, FL. Full syn, filter, tire rotation, including sales tax was in the $90s.

I just can’t bring myself to change the oil but leave the filter.

_korangar 02-25-2019 04:37 PM

I'm going to get my oil change in about an hour. Thanks for bringing this up!