Motor Trend comparo: RDX v NX350

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 12:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
I saw comparisons to prev gen NX, RX, GLC. Even Motormouth found it loud and attributed it to RFT. Did you test drive on 18 or 20 inch wheels? What trim was it? The 18 do a bit better but then you have to live with probably what could be the ugliest plastic trim in the luxury segment. And remember your test driving brand new. RFT gets hard and noisy as they wear, much worse than regular.
The one I drove was on 20" wheels and the car had about 3300km on it. I drove a CR-V Hybrid back to back with it on the same roads and the CR-V was notably louder in comparison but still a bit quieter than the RDX.
The following users liked this post:
anoop (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 04:31 AM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
2022 NX350h -
  • 9,500 miles in first year of ownership
  • 40 MPG
  • $1500 “protection plan” that was really just a market adjustment/dealer profit
  • Waited more than 9 month for color combo and options I wanted so I paid the $1500
anoop (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 06:34 AM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
Originally Posted by motif88
2022 NX350h -
  • 9,500 miles in first year of ownership
  • 40 MPG
  • $1500 “protection plan” that was really just a market adjustment/dealer profit
  • Waited more than 9 month for color combo and options I wanted so I paid the $1500
I'm surprised you didn't go hybrid w/your newer '23 RX, which probably needs it more than the NX!
Old 08-11-2023, 08:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
I'm surprised you didn't go hybrid w/your newer '23 RX, which probably needs it more than the NX!
Gas prices came back down and high gas prices faded from memory. It happened to me! If gas prices were $7 threatening to go higher, I probably wouldn’t have gotten another RDX.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:05 AM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
Gas prices came back down and high gas prices faded from memory. It happened to me! If gas prices were $7 threatening to go higher, I probably wouldn’t have gotten another RDX.
Gas has gone up 30 cents in the last month. Not sure if switching over to winter blend in our area will bring relief!
Old 08-11-2023, 01:21 PM
Advanced

I actually wanted to but there are hardly any RX Hybrids in FL. The only options continue to be stripped down or completely loaded both in color combo's we would never buy.
ELIN (08-11-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 01:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by motif88
I actually wanted to but there are hardly any RX Hybrids in FL. The only options continue to be stripped down or completely loaded both in color combo's we would never buy.
Interesting. Out here it is easier to get an RX hybrid as compared to NX hybrid, just because of larger production volumes I think. Only problem is RX is way more expensive and still have to pay markup. Both NX and RX are overpriced for what you get. In both cases have to step up to Luxury pack just to get 4 way lumbar. In the case of NX, that makes it a $60K+ car OTD (California). For RX, it's $70K+. At least RX doesn't ride on RFT, so looks like Lexus got the memo.
Old 08-13-2023, 12:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
I initially thought (back in 2019) that the touchpad would be easy to pick up but the implementation is terrible - slow and unreliable. If it was as fast and reliable as the touchpad on my MacBook (and had haptic feedback) then I'm sure it would have been fine but it's just utter garbage and with each passing day I look forward to trading in my RDX with the touchpad being one of the things I won't miss about it.

I'm a touchscreen skeptic for the most part but have to admit that they don't work as bad as I expect - it's definitely worse than physical controls (a lot worse) but it's liveable especially when they're responsive (like on a Porsche 911). I still prefer the Mazda implementation though - rotary dial with a bit of touchscreen support.
I personally feel that a rotary knob would have done so much better than the touch pad. The biggest factor being that with a rotary knob where you leave it is where it stays, I.e let's say I'm scrolling down and something happens while driving, it's easy to forget about it and then come back to it vs the track pad where you need to spend time finding your place again everytime.

Originally Posted by HotRodW
They sure do love their pickups though. And full size truck-based SUV's are fine as well. The argument that cars and trucks both serve specific needs while crossovers are jack-of-all-trades master-of-none vehicles is as tired as it is illogical. It's easy to criticize when you have access to a pool of vehicles of all types, as the Motor Trend staff does. For most of us, owning a dedicated vehicle for all needs isn't an option. Crossovers are a good compromise of comfort and utility, and some can even be sporty.
Very good point and totally agreed. Crossovers are IMO the perfect balance of comfort and utility and certain models are also pretty fun to drive. My first generation RDX was incredible. It drove like a tall hatch vs an SUV and had more than enough space in my undergraduate college days. I'm still in school and don't have the money/space for multiple vehicles so looking at a 3G RDX because I feel it is the best compromise. No it isn't 911 handling, no it isn't sienna storage/utility, no it isn't Jeep Wrangler off-road capable but damn does it do a pretty good job at being more than capable enough for my needs.

Originally Posted by ross7777
Call me crazy but the way the vehicle drives is more important than the infotainment interface. I spend more time driving than messing with the infotainment. It’s either on FM or CarPlay. CarPlay connects automatically and starts playing. The touchpad interface is not ideal with CarPlay but every vehicle has compromises.

Infotainment is not #1 on my list when considering a vehicle.
I do agree with you, however ease of use is significant to me. If I have to do all this work for very basic stuff it really sours the experience for me. For example my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited has a bunch of B.S voice commands and I would sooner walk on hot asphalt barefoot than use that junk because of how unreliable the commands are. Ease of use is a big component of enjoyment for me. In the Jeeps case I can thankfully completely ignore that junk and use the touch screen/steering wheel controls. Does the RDX have ways of getting around the touch pad? If so then it might not be that hard to live with for me.
HotRodW (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 10:29 AM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10

I do agree with you, however ease of use is significant to me. If I have to do all this work for very basic stuff it really sours the experience for me. For example my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited has a bunch of B.S voice commands and I would sooner walk on hot asphalt barefoot than use that junk because of how unreliable the commands are. Ease of use is a big component of enjoyment for me. In the Jeeps case I can thankfully completely ignore that junk and use the touch screen/steering wheel controls. Does the RDX have ways of getting around the touch pad? If so then it might not be that hard to live with for me.
Changing sources, tracks, stations and volume is on the steering wheel. If I use navigation it's CarPlay and I have my most used destinations saved to favorites or use Siri.

I don't find myself using the infotainment constantly. I either have FM or Apple Music playing and only occasionally use navigation. I very rarely use the phone, contacts or messages. Again, Siri if needed.

I will say that the touchpad and CarPlay isn't great, it functions different from Acura's system. If your'e one who is constantly interacting with CarPlay like scrolling around through music etc then you'll probably be disappointed.
The following 2 users liked this post by ross7777:
anoop (08-13-2023), MJ4RDX (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 10:52 AM
Advanced

The new Lexus 14” touchscreen works very well. Some folks complain about the HUD and no labeled buttons on the steering wheel but it is dead simple, easy and logical. Just like going from a Blackberry to your first iPhone, you’ll never look back after the first week.
anoop (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 02:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
Changing sources, tracks, stations and volume is on the steering wheel. If I use navigation it's CarPlay and I have my most used destinations saved to favorites or use Siri.

I don't find myself using the infotainment constantly. I either have FM or Apple Music playing and only occasionally use navigation. I very rarely use the phone, contacts or messages. Again, Siri if needed.

I will say that the touchpad and CarPlay isn't great, it functions different from Acura's system. If your'e one who is constantly interacting with CarPlay like scrolling around through music etc then you'll probably be disappointed.
Honestly I've never had a vehicle with/used AC/AA so I honestly don't know how much that will affect me. I imagine that it is one of those things that once you've used it it you can't live without it as that's what a lot of people have said to me. I mostly just care about listening to the radio or my own music. Otherwise don't really care too much.
Old 08-13-2023, 07:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Honestly I've never had a vehicle with/used AC/AA so I honestly don't know how much that will affect me. I imagine that it is one of those things that once you've used it it you can't live without it as that's what a lot of people have said to me. I mostly just care about listening to the radio or my own music. Otherwise don't really care too much.
The nice thing about CP/AA is that it allows you to have a consistent infotainment experience across most any car. This is especially nice when you have multiple cars or rent a lot of cars; you don't have learn or relearn/adjust, The only exception is when the car doesn't have a touchscreen interface, because they you have to learn how to interact with the system which can be pretty annoying.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ESHBG (08-14-2023), RDX10 (08-14-2023)
Old 08-13-2023, 08:15 PM
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by cwatt79
All the hate on the TrueTouch pad as highly overblown to me. I guess I'm in the minority of people who kind of like it, primarily because I like being able to interact with the infotainment without holding my arm up in the air. I also find that with the plethora of physical controls (much more than most cars these days, especially premium ones) and the excellent integration of the HUD, I don't really interact with the screen all that much. Having owned a BMW with iDrive 8 for eight months, I have no issues with Acura's implementation.
I'm with you. I can literally navigate with the touchpad from memory without even looking at the screen, which is what the design intended. I'm continually surprised by the love for touch screens. They suck in cars just as much as they suck at the grocery checkout.
Old 08-13-2023, 08:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by fiatlux
The nice thing about CP/AA is that it allows you to have a consistent infotainment experience across most any car. This is especially nice when you have multiple cars or rent a lot of cars; you don't have learn or relearn/adjust, The only exception is when the car doesn't have a touchscreen interface, because they you have to learn how to interact with the system which can be pretty annoying.
Hopefully Acura will support CarPlay/AA when they start supporting their new EVs with GM. GM has dropped support for them probably because of a super sweet deal that Google made to them in exchange for locking out Apple.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
Pros and cons to both. OPC (Other People's Comparisons) and meaningless to me. Everyone has their own opinions - go drive both and you'll know which one is best for you.

Two big differences:
1) RDX AC is no where as strong or can cool a vehicle like a Lexus product.
2) With the fluctuation of petrol and electric prices (only going UP) - Hybrid MPG MOTIF88 noted is amazing - I'd have to get out and push 1/2 way to achieve that overall MPG. The RDX is a thirsty runner - especially in the city/traffic.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Pros and cons to both. OPC (Other People's Comparisons) and meaningless to me. Everyone has their own opinions - go drive both and you'll know which one is best for you.

Two big differences:
2) With the fluctuation of petrol and electric prices (only going UP) - Hybrid MPG MOTIF88 noted is amazing - I'd have to get out and push 1/2 way to achieve that overall MPG. The RDX is a thirsty runner - especially in the city/traffic.
$10k which is the price difference buys 1000 gallons or 20000 miles at $10 per gallon and 20 mpg. At $5 it buys 40000 miles. That make RDX gas cost a non issue from my perspective since I don’t plan to keep the car more than about 40000 miles.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:55 AM
Burning Brakes

$10k which is the price difference buys 1000 gallons or 20000 miles at $10 per gallon and 20 mpg. At $5 it buys 40000 miles. That make RDX gas cost a non issue from my perspective since I don’t plan to keep the car more than about 40000 miles.
When one is already spending that kind of $$$ for a vehicle - other individual specifics come into play. For you - the RDX sounds like the right choice.
anoop (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 09:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts

Two big differences:
I just spent the weekend with an Ioniq5 to see what owning an EV is like and the AC is SO much better than the RDX - the lack of a remote start to cool the car was not a hindrance at all as it could cool the car down in a few mins once we got in which is something that the RDX simply can't do. While driver seat comfort was pretty awful (a dealbreaker for me), the rest of the Ioniq5 was very impressive and a bit of a signal of how outdated the RDX has become in just a few years.

Originally Posted by jmhumr
I'm with you. I can literally navigate with the touchpad from memory without even looking at the screen, which is what the design intended. I'm continually surprised by the love for touch screens. They suck in cars just as much as they suck at the grocery checkout.
I think touchscreens in cars are dumb BUT having spent time in a CR-V, NX, and an Ioniq5 the past few weeks I have to say that they all worked much better than I expected. Sure, hitting the buttons while driving can be a bit tricky but because the systems were so much faster I could trust it unlike the RDX's system which is so slow and unreliable that I have to look to see if it registered my actions. I'd still prefer not to use a touchscreen but all 3 of those cars outperformed the touchpad by miles (I'm nearly exclusively a CarPlay user).
ESHBG (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by supafamous
I just spent the weekend with an Ioniq5 to see what owning an EV is like and the AC is SO much better than the RDX - the lack of a remote start to cool the car was not a hindrance at all as it could cool the car down in a few mins once we got in which is something that the RDX simply can't do. While driver seat comfort was pretty awful (a dealbreaker for me), the rest of the Ioniq5 was very impressive and a bit of a signal of how outdated the RDX has become in just a few years.

I think touchscreens in cars are dumb BUT having spent time in a CR-V, NX, and an Ioniq5 the past few weeks I have to say that they all worked much better than I expected. Sure, hitting the buttons while driving can be a bit tricky but because the systems were so much faster I could trust it unlike the RDX's system which is so slow and unreliable that I have to look to see if it registered my actions. I'd still prefer not to use a touchscreen but all 3 of those cars outperformed the touchpad by miles (I'm nearly exclusively a CarPlay user).
The EV thing definitely works if you are local most of the time, travel less that 150 miles a day (as EPA range estimates you will NEVER get, charge to 80% daily) and weather conditions (hot/cold) affect range and can charge at home. Plus a lot more $$$ and less standard options. RDX needs a complete revamp - 2019 model is very long in the tooth. If I was the Honda lead - go Hybrid first (more power, much better MPG- then work on the EV solution thats more stable - similar to Apple waiting years after blackberry to launch the 1st iPhone. 1st to market doesn't always mean you'll be there in the end.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:52 AM
Safety Car

The EV thing definitely works if you are local most of the time, travel less that 150 miles a day (as EPA range estimates you will NEVER get, charge to 80% daily) and weather conditions (hot/cold) affect range and can charge at home. Plus a lot more $$$ and less standard options. RDX needs a complete revamp - 2019 model is very long in the tooth. If I was the Honda lead - go Hybrid first (more power, much better MPG- then work on the EV solution thats more stable - similar to Apple waiting years after blackberry to launch the 1st iPhone. 1st to market doesn't always mean you'll be there in the end.
The funny thing is that Honda is doing just that with the CRV, where they expect something like 50% of the sales to be the hybrid model. But Acura always gets short-changed and gets table scraps.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

The funny thing is that Honda is doing just that with the CRV, where they expect something like 50% of the sales to be the hybrid model. But Acura always gets short-changed and gets table scraps.
Guess it's no surprise that the CRV and its Hybrid version were one of the top sellers in the USA last month. Consumers are speaking with their wallets on what they want. I went by the Hyundai, VW and Tesla dealers a week ago - lots of $40K-60K EV's in the parking lots for sale.
Old 08-14-2023, 12:03 PM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Acura announced a while ago that, unlike Honda, they are skipping over hybrids and jumping straight from ICE to EV.
Does seem like a silly move, especially considering their now defunct Sport Hybrid tech developed for RLX and MDX. It feels like that technology was a little ahead of its time, and it would be more successful in today's market where many more people are open to hybrid electrification.
The following 2 users liked this post by cwatt79:
anoop (08-14-2023), ESHBG (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 01:30 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cwatt79
Acura announced a while ago that, unlike Honda, they are skipping over hybrids and jumping straight from ICE to EV.
Does seem like a silly move, especially considering their now defunct Sport Hybrid tech developed for RLX and MDX. It feels like that technology was a little ahead of its time, and it would be more successful in today's market where many more people are open to hybrid electrification.
Skipping PHEVs too, which is unfortunate. Yes, PHEVs are a transition product and throwaway tech, but we're far away from widespread mainstream EV adoption, and with almost every other automaker offering some sort of PHEV product Acura sticks out like a sore thumb for not having one. How do we take the brand seriously as a serioius future EV option if they've shown no sustained success (or even effort) in the electrification department? A PHEV RDX would be great and a nice alternative to the X3, GLC, Q5, NX, and XC60 PHEVs, to say nothing of all the mainstream compact crossover PHEV offerings.

The optimistic view is that they don't want to divert R&D funds from their full EV efforts, but the pessimistic view is that they just don't know how to do electrification well, either from an engineering or business perspective.
ESHBG (08-14-2023)
Old 08-14-2023, 01:32 PM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
I looked at the NX a bit. I dunno, seeing it next to the RDX, I am not a fan of the looks.
Plus I'm well over 6 feet, so little SUV's are not on my shopping list.
As far as the infotainment is concerned. it cant be any worse than my 2012 TL (which is fine), I control music thru my phone.
As long as I can easily get to AC and Heat it should be good.
Does Alexa work well in the 2022>> RDX ?
Old 08-14-2023, 04:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Skipping PHEVs too, which is unfortunate. Yes, PHEVs are a transition product and throwaway tech, but we're far away from widespread mainstream EV adoption, and with almost every other automaker offering some sort of PHEV product Acura sticks out like a sore thumb for not having one. How do we take the brand seriously as a serioius future EV option if they've shown no sustained success (or even effort) in the electrification department? A PHEV RDX would be great and a nice alternative to the X3, GLC, Q5, NX, and XC60 PHEVs, to say nothing of all the mainstream compact crossover PHEV offerings.

The optimistic view is that they don't want to divert R&D funds from their full EV efforts, but the pessimistic view is that they just don't know how to do electrification well, either from an engineering or business perspective.
I think Acura had limited $ and they had a choice of going performance to compete with M/AMG/S or go hybrid and they chose to go the performance route. They probably made the decision during the last administration and it became too late to back track by the time the current administration came in and changed the whole landscape around energy.
Old 08-14-2023, 04:23 PM
Safety Car

I think Acura had limited $ and they had a choice of going performance to compete with M/AMG/S or go hybrid and they chose to go the performance route. They probably made the decision during the last administration and it became too late to back track by the time the current administration came in and changed the whole landscape around energy.
I think the bigger issue is that Honda doesn't have any real viable PHEV offerings, and as a result Acura has nothing to inherit from them, and we can't say Honda doesn't have enough money, because they had enough money to throw at the HondaJet. The Clarity PHEV was the closet thing they had to something viable, but that car was only sold nationwide for 2 years before being relegated to California-only status and then getting axed.