MDX Aspec vs RDX Aspec

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 07:28 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
MDX Aspec vs RDX Aspec

I am torn between these 2 vehicles. I test drove them both yesterday, and I can get the MDX for about the same money as the RDX. So here are my thoughts:

2019 RDX
The car is comfortable, I found he infotainment system worked fine, phone easily paired, found the infotainment controll a bit fiddly but I am sure I would get used to it, still don't like the infotainment screen just sitting there on the dash. I like them better when they are integrated into the dash like the MDX. The car is fast and responsive and I love the red dials, and the coolest feature, the maximum speed for the road on the dash. The materials are of very good quality. I love the gun metal colour. I love the blacked out look to the exterior. Stupid thing, is the extra costs for all colours except it seems one of $500. How stupid, its a nickle and dime item as far as I am concerned. I was very impressed and come from 3 previous RDXs.

2019 MDX
I prefer the V6, to the I4 turbo, car is a bit smoother, and quieter, there is too much Alcanterra for my liking on the seats. It's much roomier. I have had 2 previous MDXs (2004 and 2006), but those were more the size of the present RDX. The steering wheel is not that nice soft leather, rather more like the steering wheel in our old 11 RDX. I should say that I am 56 and may be getting soft as I desire the MDX now. The last generation were a pig on gas and that's why I stayed with the RDX, that and it did not have push button start/ touch entry. The new MDX has VCM which I have in my V6 RDX and the gas mileage is quite good. I am guessing I would drive the MDX easy but the RDX hard because of the turbo. I bet the gas mileage would suffer. I know they are not created equal, but the 11 RDX Turbo was a real pig on gas.

2019 Honda Pilot Black Edition
I also as a bonus test drove this vehicle as well. Not as luxurious as the MDX, but very nice. The price is the same is the MDX. Note the MDX has incentives and a lower interest rate and as such it is cheaper at this time than normal. The annoying part is the Pilot has a wirelesss charger, and the foot under the bumper to open the trunk. These are not available on the RDX or MDX. Very nice vehicle but why get it when the MDX is simil priced.

I will likely go with the MDX but will bring my Wife along for the final test drive and decide tomorrow.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:39 PM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Punt on the MDX either get RDX or wait for the refresh.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:05 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
When i was looking at Acura (bought a different brand) I preferred the interior of the MDX over the RDX....but I don't that big of vehicle so didn't bother to test drive the MDX. Benefit of the MDX is that it has been out for along time,so should have fewer "bugs" than the RDX or passport. My sister in British Columbia has the Honda Pilot black edition..loves it..but she isnt picky, as long as it drives nice she is happy Good luck with ur decison.....if your looking at the MDX, go give the Santa Fe a test drive, you might be suprised.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:06 AM
9th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Test drove both as well recently. For the same price, I would go with the RDX. Unless you need towing or 7 seats, RDX is superior in every aspects in my opinion. We also test drove Audi Q5 2019 yesterday. I was sold to the RDX but with all the issues I had with my previous 3 honda/acura, I think it is time to switch.