Mazda CX-70 Acura beware?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2022, 09:48 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts
Mazda CX-70 Acura beware?

www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx-70
With a straight six, and 8 speed transmission (comparable to BMW) to go along with their superior interior and quality, Acura is going have another serious competitor.
The following 6 users liked this post by ColoRDX:
ELIN (04-24-2023), hand-filer (04-26-2022), Ih8honda (07-04-2022), norsairius (04-26-2022), pilozm (04-28-2022), TheDatanator (06-26-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-26-2022, 10:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 229 Posts
Originally Posted by ColoRDX
With a straight six, and 8 speed transmission (comparable to BMW) to go along with their superior interior and quality, Acura is going have another serious competitor.
Not in the same league. Car and Driver is bias - they get MFG loaner cars to drum ups sales of there magazine for articles.

Acura, Lexus and BMW + Audi are premium brands - you can tell a difference. Many not matter to all, especially since everything is expensive these days. Also, with gas prices at a all time high, and only going UP - a non-Hybrid engine these days in a SUV or passenger vehicle is just old school in efficiency.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 384 Likes on 267 Posts
I feel Mazda's RWD strategy will backfire, so if I were Acura I would not worry at all. IMHO, RWD is an illusion when comparing to SH-AWD, because I don't see any advantages for RWD on a non-performance SUV. RWD just drives cost up. Mazda was probably forced to take on the RWD plan to share RWD platform cost for Toyota.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Not in the same league. Car and Driver is bias - they get MFG loaner cars to drum ups sales of there magazine for articles.

Acura, Lexus and BMW + Audi are premium brands - you can tell a difference. Many not matter to all, especially since everything is expensive these days. Also, with gas prices at a all time high, and only going UP - a non-Hybrid engine these days in a SUV or passenger vehicle is just old school in efficiency.
Not in the same league is your opinion and only your opinion. You think Car and Driver is biased (not "bias") because they ding Aura's for their mediocre powertrain performance.
Have you owned a late model Mazda? I recently purchased a 2022 CX-5 to go along with my 2021 RDX Advance. With both sitting next to each other in my garage I can do instant comparisons.
The interior materials, fit and finish in the CX-5 are superior to the RDX and the Mazda resides in just the mainstream crossover class versus the Acura wanna be luxury class.
I'm not down on my RDX. I really enjoy the vehicle. The 2.0L turbo is quite peppy and handles well. The 2.5L turbo in the CX-5 is quicker and handles well but not quite as sharp as the RDX
The following 2 users liked this post by ColoRDX:
hand-filer (04-26-2022), pilozm (04-28-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 11:13 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sonyfever
I feel Mazda's RWD strategy will backfire, so if I were Acura I would not worry at all. IMHO, RWD is an illusion when comparing to SH-AWD, because I don't see any advantages for RWD on a non-performance SUV. RWD just drives cost up. Mazda was probably forced to take on the RWD plan to share RWD platform cost for Toyota.
It will also be offered in AWD.
The following 2 users liked this post by ColoRDX:
hand-filer (07-07-2022), norsairius (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 312 Likes on 229 Posts
Not in the same league is your opinion and only your opinion. You think Car and Driver is biased (not "bias") because they ding Aura's for their mediocre powertrain performance.
Have you owned a late model Mazda? I recently purchased a 2022 CX-5 to go along with my 2021 RDX Advance. With both sitting next to each other in my garage I can do instant comparisons.
The interior materials, fit and finish in the CX-5 are superior to the RDX and the Mazda resides in just the mainstream crossover class versus the Acura wanna be luxury class.
I'm not down on my RDX. I really enjoy the vehicle. The 2.0L turbo is quite peppy and handles well. The 2.5L turbo in the CX-5 is quicker and handles well but not quite as sharp as the RDX
Sounds like you have the perfect 1st hand experience. Guess Mazda has come a long way! The RDX is ok in terms of fit and finish - nothing impressive to me. I look for more "quality and reliability" than overseer initial plushness. Was quite shocked to remove some interior trim pieces to get them to fit better, and fragile caps broke - which I had to order new one. Similar thing happened when replacing the engine air filter - those push-pins self-destruct.

Quite frankly, the RDX is ok to me - super in the snow with SH AWD - but besides that - just run of the mill. Guess I expected more when I bought her in 11/2020 given the brand and accolades on YouTube video reviews.
Old 04-26-2022, 11:22 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 276 Likes on 180 Posts
I'll reserve judgement until I can see, touch and drive the CX-70, but on paper all critical components of a true luxury product are present. Mazda interiors have come along way in recent years, and I appreciate that they made the investment in an all new RWD platform, new gearbox, new engine options. I also appreciate Mazda's continued reliance on physical switchgear and something resembling a traditional shifter. While the CX-70 will be wider than its CX-60 European platform-mate (and hopefully a few inches longer), I'm encouraged by what I've seen from the CX-60. For anyone interested, here's an early CX-60 review from Autogefühl.

Last edited by HotRodW; 04-26-2022 at 11:36 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by HotRodW:
hand-filer (07-07-2022), Ih8honda (07-04-2022), supafamous (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 11:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,420 Likes on 1,871 Posts

Acura is a premium brand, that is true. However, Lexus, BMW, and Audi are luxury brands. Mazda is positioning themselves to enter into the premium segment. If I were Acura, I'd be very concerned given that Acura's primary value prop is in...well, it's value. Acura customers don't buy these cars for the badge, or the prestige, or whatnot. It's largely a rational decision driven by a value-seeking mentality, and if another automaker is able to offer more value in the same segment, I'd expect them to be able to start taking some market share away.
The following 6 users liked this post by fiatlux:
catbert430 (04-28-2022), hand-filer (04-26-2022), HotRodW (04-26-2022), JB in AZ (04-27-2022), pilozm (04-28-2022), TheDatanator (06-26-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-26-2022, 11:35 AM
Burning Brakes

RWD for larger vehicles is the right move if they want to move upmarket as indicated. Sure, SH-AWD does an exemplary job of imitating RWD power delivery, but the engine still sits in front of the front axle. Mazda understands they need a longitudinal powertrain if they're going to offer styling and dynamics to genuinely compete with the European brands.
The following users liked this post:
norsairius (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 04:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Acura is a premium brand, that is true. However, Lexus, BMW, and Audi are luxury brands. Mazda is positioning themselves to enter into the premium segment. If I were Acura, I'd be very concerned given that Acura's primary value prop is in...well, it's value. Acura customers don't buy these cars for the badge, or the prestige, or whatnot. It's largely a rational decision driven by a value-seeking mentality, and if another automaker is able to offer more value in the same segment, I'd expect them to be able to start taking some market share away.
The problem is I don't see RWD adding value to a Mazda. The RWD Mazdas are going to be quite expensive and dilute the value proposition as well. It is the same problem Acura has when comparing to luxury brands. The only good thing for Mazda is they have other markers to support the experiment, unlike Acura where all of the eggs is in one basket.
Old 04-26-2022, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 670 Likes on 416 Posts
Perhaps, but I still think the biggest rival Acura has to look out for is Genesis, as they seem to be going all-in with their crossovers. The GV80 doesn't seem to hold a candle to the entrenched MDX, but I'm seeing quite a few GV70s driving around. Genesis really needs to do something about their dealer networks though. Hyundai dealers are terrible, though I guess it could be worse ... they could have decided to sell them out of Kia dealers (basically the Walmart of dealerships).
Old 04-26-2022, 05:53 PM
Pro

Received 180 Likes on 107 Posts
I traded in a 2017 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring for the 21' Aspec RDX. Honestly, the Mazda was a great vehicle, but the Acura is definitely a step above. The handling and engine performance on the Mazda were decent, but I find the RDX to be much better. However, I would definitely consider buying another Mazda down the road. If anyone does go that route, I would HIGHLY suggest going with the turbo engine!
Old 04-26-2022, 05:59 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm all for more options in this segment, it should be priced similarly to RDX based on rumors and with PHEV and inline 6 powertrains it will be real competition to Acura
norsairius (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 47 Posts
As a former Mazda CX-9 lessee, someone who really enjoys the 2021 TLX, and also started to like the 2022 MDX loaner from my dealership maybe a bit too much (there was a small part of me that wanted to ask the dealer to run numbers on ditching my lease early for one, but it would've been a terrible financial decision): a RWD-based Mazda SUV with an inline 6 (hybrid or not) would make a very compelling case for a potential vehicle to step into when my TLX lease is up.

I think SH-AWD is FAR superior to Mazda's current AWD system, but Mazda makes some really good cars. Interiors are excellent and handling and responsiveness are great. I also believe some of their cars have the best steering feel I've experienced in a car since BMW ditched their hydraulic setups. The CX-9 drove great considering its size and heft (especially once I ditched the OEM tires that came with it) and the AWD system was fine the vast majority of the time, even in the winter. Manual mode in the CX-9 was also actually usable. Manual shifts with the paddles in the TLX don't feel as responsive and the transmission feels like it always goes back to automatic shifting too quickly. Paddle shifters aside, Mazda has the drive mode/gear selector set up so that you pull back to shift up and push forward to downshift which I believe to be the correct and best way to do it. :P

I agree that Acura will have some serious competition with this, especially if Mazda puts out a good RWD-based AWD system (which I have confidence they can). Let's be realistic though too, the nuances of the AWD system won't matter to most buyers. Most buyers will only care that it's an option, not how the power is distributed, what the default power split F:R is, etc.

I was hoping that Mazda was going to make that sedan with the inline 6 that was rumored to be in development, but I believe those rumors were recently shut down. I'm still not sure if I want another SUV, but the CX-70/90 will more than likely be on my short list if I decide to consider one.

That said, as much as I've hyped up Mazda here, Acura's been making a strong case for me to stick with them too. The TLX continues to be a great daily driver and fun to drive when the mood strikes. The MDX also continues to occupy more headspace than it should considering how much of my lease is left too, haha.
HotRodW (04-26-2022)
Old 04-26-2022, 07:47 PM
Racer

Mazda has for some time now has outpaced Acura in reliability and now I see where Consumers Report has positioned Mazda above the almighty reliable Toyota
Old 04-26-2022, 08:03 PM
Racer

Sounds like you have the perfect 1st hand experience. Guess Mazda has come a long way! The RDX is ok in terms of fit and finish - nothing impressive to me. I look for more "quality and reliability" than overseer initial plushness. Was quite shocked to remove some interior trim pieces to get them to fit better, and fragile caps broke - which I had to order new one. Similar thing happened when replacing the engine air filter - those push-pins self-destruct.

Quite frankly, the RDX is ok to me - super in the snow with SH AWD - but besides that - just run of the mill. Guess I expected more when I bought her in 11/2020 given the brand and accolades on YouTube video reviews.
Again....my RDX advance is a fine vehicle and I really enjoy driving it. Although not as quick as the CX-5 turbo, the Acura's powertrain feels more refined and smooth and handles more flat in the twisties.
It should. It's touted to be a premium performance compact crossover. If you can, check out a new Mazda CX-5 Or CX-9 in their top trim level You'll be quite surprised as to the quality level of material used and how tight and well bolted together they are. If you're into the solid thunk of vehicle's door when you close it , you'll like the Mazda.
pilozm (04-28-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 08:40 AM
Pro

Received 295 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
I'll reserve judgement until I can see, touch and drive the CX-70, but on paper all critical components of a true luxury product are present. Mazda interiors have come along way in recent years, and I appreciate that they made the investment in an all new RWD platform, new gearbox, new engine options. I also appreciate Mazda's continued reliance on physical switchgear and something resembling a traditional shifter. While the CX-70 will be wider than its CX-60 European platform-mate (and hopefully a few inches longer), I'm encouraged by what I've seen from the CX-60. For anyone interested, here's an early CX-60 review from Autogefühl.

Autogefühl
Watched the review and it's an Impressive car. A bit surprised Mazda feels the need to do a narrow and wide body version of these cars - seems plenty wide and competitive and their competition doesn't feel the need to do a wide body version.

I sat in a Mazda 3 recently and was VERY impressed with the interior quality - equal or better than Acura in nearly every way. While the dealer network isn't there the product itself is very good and will give Acura a hard time once it rolls out in much the same way the Genesis GV70 should be a wakeup call for Acura.
HotRodW (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 09:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 532 Likes on 342 Posts
You're correcting people's grammar with your bizarre sentence/paragraph structure? Okay...

Mazda makes a nice, solid vehicle. Nowadays competition is getting tighter and tighter so anything is possible as far as I am concerned.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:52 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,588 Likes on 956 Posts
Let's not start random topics. When the CX-5 Turbo came about 2 years ago, in this forum & outside of here, people literally made it look like the RDX will be discontinued and everyone will buy the Mazda CX-5 instead. lol

2+ years has passed? What do we see?

Nothing but a successful RDX and one of the best compact SUVs in the market, which is competing with big brands like MB, BMW and Lexus.

I own a Mazda and I love my CX-5 due to the amazing monthly payment and maintenance cost but it's far, far away from Acura and Acura has nothing to worry. The same way BMW has nothing to worry about Acura! Close this topic and not let haters spread rumors (of course I am joking and sarcastic here. You can have as many topics as you want.)
Old 04-27-2022, 05:20 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ESHBG
You're correcting people's grammar with your bizarre sentence/paragraph structure? Okay...

Mazda makes a nice, solid vehicle. Nowadays competition is getting tighter and tighter so anything is possible as far as I am concerned.
What's wrong with correcting grammer? I appreciate it when I'm corrected. Help me out my friend. Why do my sentences look the way they do after I hit Submit Reply? They don't look like that at the time I'm composing them.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
What's wrong with correcting grammer? I appreciate it when I'm corrected. Help me out my friend. Why do my sentences look the way they do after I hit Submit Reply? They don't look like that at the time I'm composing them.
Okay, then appreciate this: "Grammar" not "grammer".
The following 2 users liked this post by sinain:
ESHBG (04-28-2022), hand-filer (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 09:39 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by sinain
Okay, then appreciate this: "Grammar" not "grammer".
Dangle the bait ("grammer") and reel in a sinain fish
Old 04-28-2022, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Dangle the bait ("grammer") and reel in a sinain fish
And now we can add B.S. to poor sentence structure and spelling.
ESHBG (04-29-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 05:46 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Help me out my friend.
Why do you want to out your friend?
esquire0399 (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 05:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by hand-filer
And now we can add B.S. to poor sentence structure and spelling.
Thank you hand-filer. What is a hand-filer? Is your trade that of a manicurist or are file clerk? Or does the hand file happen to be your favorite tool?
Old 04-28-2022, 06:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
ColoRDX wrote: "Is your trade that of a manicurist or are file clerk? ".

Or are file clerk?? Uh,oh must be more bait from the master angler. If, heaven forbid, it is another miscue, then you're welcome.
ESHBG (04-29-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 07:32 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sinain
ColoRDX wrote: "Is your trade that of a manicurist or are file clerk? ".

Or are file clerk?? Uh,oh must be more bait from the master angler. If, heaven forbid, it is another miscue, then you're welcome.
I knew you'd return for another bite at the ("are file clerk") bait. I be had enough fun which you Shall we get back to the subject of the thread? So what are your thoughts on the soon to be launched Mazda CX-70?
Old 04-28-2022, 08:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Thank you hand-filer. What is a hand-filer? Is your trade that of a manicurist or are file clerk? Or does the hand file happen to be your favorite tool?
You're welcome. Mechanical engineer retired. I do have an extensive collection of metal files though.

Last edited by hand-filer; 04-28-2022 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 04-30-2022, 11:04 PM
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
I fully intend to trade my rdx for a cx70 phev when it drops.

I have owned a cx5 turbo, rdx, and rav4 prime. The cx5 was the best made vehicle among the 3, although the Acura suspension and awd crushes the prime and cx5. The new cx70 will have 50/50 weigh distribution, a multiplate clutch 8 speed similar to MBs 9 speeds, and a rwd based awd system. It's literally got the best of all worlds.

Last edited by Unobtanium; 04-30-2022 at 11:09 PM.
Ih8honda (07-04-2022)
Old 05-01-2022, 10:27 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Unobtanium

I have owned a cx5 turbo, rdx, and rav4 prime. The cx5 was the best made vehicle among the 3, although the Acura suspension and awd crushes the prime and cx5. The new cx70 will have 50/50 weigh distribution, a multiplate clutch 8 speed similar to MBs 9 speeds, and a rwd based awd system. It's literally got the best of all worlds.
Neither Mazda (CX-5) or Toyota (RAV4 Prime) are marketed as performance compact crossovers. Acura does just that with the RDX. The RDX suspension/AWD is the winner as you state. According to all reputable sources, the CX-5 and the RAV4 Prime are quicker 0-60 than the RDX. I too am waiting for the CX-70 but, will never, never ever buy first year and most likely not even second year production of a new vehicle design. I can't to speak to what Mazda's new 8 speed will be like but, the ZF8 trany in BMW's lineup and other manufacturers is rated by reliable sources to be the best automatic on the market. The ZF8 was one of the reasons I chose a 2021 BMW X3 M40i over the MB C43 AMG. The MB 9 speed didn't compare to the ZF8's lightning quick up/down shifts and super smooth cruising performance.
Old 05-01-2022, 11:09 AM
Burning Brakes

I hope Mazda make the CX70 at lower than RDX price, while has similar space as RDX, all goodies from the RWD layout, and comparable tech/luxury level to RDX. I don't know if I am too pessimistic, but just typing this I see a lot of conflicts at the low $30k price. If you want everything I said, why not pay a little more than CX70 and get GV70 instead. GV70 will crush CX70 no doubt, that is why I am not fully on board with Mazda's grand RWD plan. From what I saw, Mazda has been doing a great job at the "feel" part, now they just need to add better tech and better materials. But all these come at a cost, and throw in RWD is only going to make the jobs harder for everyone. MSRP should be between CX5 and CX9 in low $30k, probably closer to CX9 than CX5. But don't you think low $30k is too good to be true for the purposes RWD premium Mazda? Genesis somehow pulled it off on GV70, but I think the task will be harder for a Japanese company. I don't have anything against Mazda, and I would love to see Mazda make it all work while keeping the price low, just from price segment point of view, I have doubts about the strategy, but who am I...
Old 05-01-2022, 12:01 PM
Burning Brakes

...why not pay a little more than CX70 and get GV70 instead. GV70 will crush CX70 no doubt, that is why I am not fully on board with Mazda's grand RWD plan.
We don't know the price of the CX70. Car and Driver estimates $38k, but they're just guessing. And what makes you so certain the GV70 will "crush" the CX70? Seems to me the best way to avoid getting crushed by the RWD competition is to offer RWD yourself.

Small, low margin automakers are at a significant cost disadvantage. If Mazda is going to survive, they're either going to need to merge with another automaker, or they'll need to find a way to increase margins as a standalone. Offering a premium product should, in theory, allow for higher profits per unit. My concern isn't whether Mazda can build a competitive premium product. My real concern is whether they can convince the buyer they're no longer a mainstream brand. Ultimately, the best way to change brand perceptions is to improve the product. We should know soon enough if they've done that.
bowhun2r (02-21-2023)
Old 05-01-2022, 07:22 PM
Racer

I hope Mazda make the CX70 at lower than RDX price, while has similar space as RDX, all goodies from the RWD layout, and comparable tech/luxury level to RDX. I don't know if I am too pessimistic, but just typing this I see a lot of conflicts at the low $30k price. If you want everything I said, why not pay a little more than CX70 and get GV70 instead. GV70 will crush CX70 no doubt, that is why I am not fully on board with Mazda's grand RWD plan. From what I saw, Mazda has been doing a great job at the "feel" part, now they just need to add better tech and better materials. But all these come at a cost, and throw in RWD is only going to make the jobs harder for everyone. MSRP should be between CX5 and CX9 in low $30k, probably closer to CX9 than CX5. But don't you think low $30k is too good to be true for the purposes RWD premium Mazda? Genesis somehow pulled it off on GV70, but I think the task will be harder for a Japanese company. I don't have anything against Mazda, and I would love to see Mazda make it all work while keeping the price low, just from price segment point of view, I have doubts about the strategy, but who am I...
I'm guessing a loaded CX70 will be more expensive than an equal RDX. I think Mazda is going RWD/AWD, straight six, 8 speed trany with stepped up luxury because they want to compete with the likes of BMW not the Asians. X3...CX-50, X5...CX-70, X7...CX-90. The "Ultimate (Asian) Driving Machine"
Old 05-02-2022, 01:02 AM
Racer

Neither Mazda (CX-5) or Toyota (RAV4 Prime) are marketed as performance compact crossovers. Acura does just that with the RDX. The RDX suspension/AWD is the winner as you state. According to all reputable sources, the CX-5 and the RAV4 Prime are quicker 0-60 than the RDX. I too am waiting for the CX-70 but, will never, never ever buy first year and most likely not even second year production of a new vehicle design. I can't to speak to what Mazda's new 8 speed will be like but, the ZF8 trany in BMW's lineup and other manufacturers is rated by reliable sources to be the best automatic on the market. The ZF8 was one of the reasons I chose a 2021 BMW X3 M40i over the MB C43 AMG. The MB 9 speed didn't compare to the ZF8's lightning quick up/down shifts and super smooth cruising performance.
The mazda is more like the MB9 in design than the zf8, I believe. I drove a stelvio which had a zf8 and found it very lacking. It is robust, though.

The 50/50 distribution and rwd bias as well as PHEV torque are huge. What remains to be seen are suspension, awd logic, and transmission.

The PHEV comes from a collab with toyota. It is likely well sorted. Mazda did very well with their skyactiv powertrains. I am tempted to snag one, first year, and risk it.
Ih8honda (07-04-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 01:12 AM
Racer

We don't know the price of the CX70. Car and Driver estimates $38k, but they're just guessing. And what makes you so certain the GV70 will "crush" the CX70? Seems to me the best way to avoid getting crushed by the RWD competition is to offer RWD yourself.

Small, low margin automakers are at a significant cost disadvantage. If Mazda is going to survive, they're either going to need to merge with another automaker, or they'll need to find a way to increase margins as a standalone. Offering a premium product should, in theory, allow for higher profits per unit. My concern isn't whether Mazda can build a competitive premium product. My real concern is whether they can convince the buyer they're no longer a mainstream brand. Ultimately, the best way to change brand perceptions is to improve the product. We should know soon enough if they've done that.
Mazda has collaborated with Toyota. That is where this PHEV business came from. Mazda has been doing very will with premium branding. This cx70 will, if done correctly, pull even more from the bmw/mb/audi camp.
Old 05-02-2022, 07:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Mazda has collaborated with Toyota. That is where this PHEV business came from. Mazda has been doing very will with premium branding. This cx70 will, if done correctly, pull even more from the bmw/mb/audi camp.
Collaborating is good, but it doesn't provide the cost benefits of a full-on merger. Mazda still developed the platform and powertrains. They didn't even use the Toyota/Aisin 8-speed, electing to develop their own transmission - which makes me question whether Toyota assisted with the CX-60/70 hybrid tech at all. (It's the CX-50 that uses Toyota's hybrid system.) They'll get some of that investment back if Lexus adopts the hardware for the next IS as reported, but even so Mazda shouldered substantial development costs.
sonyfever (05-02-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 08:59 AM
Racer

Collaborating is good, but it doesn't provide the cost benefits of a full-on merger. Mazda still developed the platform and powertrains. They didn't even use the Toyota/Aisin 8-speed, electing to develop their own transmission - which makes me question whether Toyota assisted with the CX-60/70 hybrid tech at all. (It's the CX-50 that uses Toyota's hybrid system.) They'll get some of that investment back if Lexus adopts the hardware for the next IS as reported, but even so Mazda shouldered substantial development costs.
I bet it's worth it, then. They cannot afford to make trash and they know it.
Old 05-02-2022, 11:07 AM
Racer

The mazda is more like the MB9 in design than the zf8, I believe. I drove a stelvio which had a zf8 and found it very lacking. It is robust, though.

The 50/50 distribution and rwd bias as well as PHEV torque are huge. What remains to be seen are suspension, awd logic, and transmission.

The PHEV comes from a collab with toyota. It is likely well sorted. Mazda did very well with their skyactiv powertrains. I am tempted to snag one, first year, and risk it.
Your opinion of the ZF8 Is just your opinion. They use it in the Jeep Trackhawk, BMW "M" vehicles, Dodge Hellcat, Aston Martin, Maserati, and on and on. I find it hard to believe they all find it "very lacking". The 9 Speed in the AMG C43 and 63 I drove was very rough, unrefined and something you wouldn't want in an everyday driver. The 9 speed in my 2021 GLC300 was toned down and felt sloppy.
The ZF8 is the best torque converter transmission on the market for performance and comfort.
Old 05-02-2022, 12:54 PM
Racer

We know the price of the CX60 in USD, and it looks like tit for tat, it's about $10K over the CX5, so a loaded out model will be $50K, which makes a lot of sense and I'd say is +- $2500 what we will see from CX70 stateside. If Mazda prices it any higher, it's not going to be a winning alternative to the "big boys", because they are established and offer same/same features more or less, so why buy the Mazda when you've just gotten out of your 3rd good experience over 15 years with an X3? Gotta be some carrot to switch, and it's likely going to be price. Just like it has been for the rest of their line-up.
Ih8honda (07-04-2022)
Old 05-02-2022, 12:57 PM
Racer

Your opinion of the ZF8 Is just your opinion. They use it in the Jeep Trackhawk, BMW "M" vehicles, Dodge Hellcat, Aston Martin, Maserati, and on and on. I find it hard to believe they all find it "very lacking". The 9 Speed in the AMG C43 and 63 I drove was very rough, unrefined and something you wouldn't want in an everyday driver. The 9 speed in my 2021 GLC300 was toned down and felt sloppy.
The ZF8 is the best torque converter transmission on the market for performance and comfort.
The 9 speed in the AMG cars is a DCT unit. The 9-speed in the GLC was a more conventional type unit. Totally different boxes. Also, like the ZF8, it's all about tuning. It's going to depend on how Mazda tunes this way more than the bolts and plates and clutches in the tunnel's actual physical attributes, although based on their past transmissions from this class vehicle, the tuning will be near telepathic. I loved my 6-speed CX5's. Best transmissions I've ever driven for tuning logic. Especially including that Alfa Romeo which was all thumbs except on WOT upshifts.
Ih8honda (07-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Mazda CX-70 Acura beware?