MAJOR security breach affecting all Honda/Acura vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2021, 09:44 AM
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MAJOR security breach affecting all Honda/Acura vehicles

https://github.com/HackingIntoYourHe...nal-Rice-Patty
Apparently all it takes is for an attacker to use their FOB once. They can capture the code and replay it and get access to your car. This is just like the issue Toyota/Lexus had recently.

Apparently Honda has been ignoring security researchers who have reported the issue.

We need to spread the message and get Honda's attention. This probably affects Honda/Acura models with the same wireless fob.
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (09-08-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 09:56 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
it actually affects all cars that use key FOB's.
if you're not using a physical key to lock the door, then you are susceptible to relay attacks.
this has been dating back to like 2006 and earlier....
it's just now the relays are getting cheaper to buy, so it's much more common now.

it's the same relay attack that can open garage doors...
someone sits outside and listens for the radio signal, relays it back and can open your garage door.

only now, technology has advanced to where you dont have to be sitting near the target. long range attacks

it's not because Honda has been ignoring it...to fix it, would disrupt the whole car industry....every car uses key fobs now-a-days. to fix it, car manufactures would have to stop using the key fobs.

there are ways to defeat rolling codes as well. so that wont work
a $32 "rolljam" device is used to defeat rolling codes...
  1. Target parks their car, gets out the carAttacker launches a jammer that prevents the car from receiving the code from the remote
  2. Target presses the remote, car does NOT lock and the attacker obtains the first keypress
  3. Target presses the remote a second time and the attacker obtains the second keypress
  4. Attacker then sends the first key press to lock the car, car locks as per normal
  5. Target assumes all is well and carries on about their day
  6. Attacker then sends the second keypress to the car, unlocking it
  7. Profit.
  8. Target returns to the vehicle and remote works as per normal

Last edited by justnspace; 08-30-2021 at 10:09 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by justnspace:
amcobra (09-07-2021), fogdoctor (09-09-2021), jmhumr (09-03-2021), pilozm (09-08-2021), thoiboi (09-10-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 12:28 PM
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
it actually affects all cars that use key FOB's...
This. Manufacturers have no reason to alter their current methods, as the cost vs benefit makes no sense. The majority of vehicle burglaries and thefts are due to owner negligence, leaving valuables in plain sight, vehicle unlocked, spare key, (or even the primary key), left inside the vehicle, etc. Do thieves utilize this tech to steal vehicles? Yes. Are they using it to steal daily driver <$75k vehicles? No.
Old 08-30-2021, 12:48 PM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by RBP3072
This. Manufacturers have no reason to alter their current methods, as the cost vs benefit makes no sense. The majority of vehicle burglaries and thefts are due to owner negligence, leaving valuables in plain sight, vehicle unlocked, spare key, (or even the primary key), left inside the vehicle, etc. Do thieves utilize this tech to steal vehicles? Yes. Are they using it to steal daily driver <$75k vehicles? No.
agreed.
a few months ago there was a group of people in our condo lot at night checking cars. They tried my crv but it was locked and my key in a faraday bag.
the car next to me was the same gen crv and was unlocked and u could see them on the ring trying to start it had they had the repeater for the fob they def would have taken it but leaving a car unlocked is a smh moment.

oddly that night about 12 cars were unlocked.. they r all crazy here i lock my doors, have sensors on all my windows and my vehicles have cameras in and on them plus geofencing lol

the rdx is great since i can check the locking on the acuralink and not have to go grab keys n lock before bed ! Ocd!
ELIN (08-31-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 01:35 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
MAJOR security breach involving Honda and Acura! Apparently all it takes is for someone to throw a piece of a sparkplug at a window and it breaks! Honda has been ignoring this problem for years and they are still making their windows out of glass!
The following 5 users liked this post by Waetherman:
hand-filer (08-30-2021), JB in AZ (08-30-2021), justnspace (08-30-2021), nist7 (08-31-2021), thoiboi (09-10-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 01:50 PM

Old 08-31-2021, 08:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
If I didn’t hear it straight from a cop buddy’s mouth, I wouldn’t think it would be possible for people to actually be this stupid, but … apparently people not only leave their cars unlocked, but they leave the goddamn key fob in the car overnight as well. How lazy and stupid can you possibly be? He has taken and heard reports from his co-workers of this happening a few times a year. And apparently, the nicer the area, the more likely the people are to do this. Not a month ago he said they chased some kids that stole a car out of Southampton of some kumquat who did exactly this.

And yea, apparently 99% of the time, these kids just go around trying door handles. If your car is unlocked, it’s getting rummaged thru. Apparently people leave their wallets in their cars all the time. And even more weird, people carry their social security cards in their wallet. You sometimes wonder how some people make it so far in life …
Ih8honda (09-01-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 11:47 AM

convenience breeds complacency.

I trust google with all my passwords because it's easy and fast. lol
Old 08-31-2021, 07:37 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
convenience breeds complacency.

I trust google with all my passwords because it's easy and fast. lol
I just use the same password on everything. And it is easy to remember: ‘password’.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:10 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I just use the same password on everything. And it is easy to remember: ‘password’.
HEH! Smart, I never thought of this!
Old 09-07-2021, 12:11 AM
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Q: Is your Username: Username?
Old 09-07-2021, 08:31 AM
Drifting

But of course!
Old 09-07-2021, 11:09 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Not protecting your vehicle and your valuables by not taking the most basic precautions is providing fertile ground for thieves obviously. Also creating an easy target protects those of us who take the precautions to make our nearby vehicle a more difficult target. Unlock those doors (admittedly a bit of a snarky comment but it gets the point across).
Old 09-07-2021, 03:22 PM
Drifting

There used to be one of those public service ads: “Lock your car. Take your keys. Don’t help a good boy go bad.”
Old 09-09-2021, 08:49 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
We usually use the touch-the-door-handle method to lock/unlock the door. Is there vulnerability there? How about the kick-to-open hatch? The key fob never leaves my pocket.
Old 09-09-2021, 09:46 AM
Drifting

The fob still sends a signal.
Old 09-09-2021, 11:55 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Old 09-10-2021, 10:02 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
If I didn’t hear it straight from a cop buddy’s mouth, I wouldn’t think it would be possible for people to actually be this stupid, but … apparently people not only leave their cars unlocked, but they leave the goddamn key fob in the car overnight as well. How lazy and stupid can you possibly be? He has taken and heard reports from his co-workers of this happening a few times a year. And apparently, the nicer the area, the more likely the people are to do this. Not a month ago he said they chased some kids that stole a car out of Southampton of some kumquat who did exactly this.

And yea, apparently 99% of the time, these kids just go around trying door handles. If your car is unlocked, it’s getting rummaged thru. Apparently people leave their wallets in their cars all the time. And even more weird, people carry their social security cards in their wallet. You sometimes wonder how some people make it so far in life …
In our last home, a gated community, people complained about truck break-ins. Hmmm, no visible damage. Me: Did you leave it unlocked? Victom: Yeah, I guess. Me: What did they take? Victim: Well, my laptop and my radar detector. But the gates are supposed to protect us from that. Me: Hahahaha!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by CanTex:
JB in AZ (09-10-2021), Madd Dog (09-11-2021)
Old 09-10-2021, 11:02 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by CanTex
In our last home, a gated community, people complained about truck break-ins. Hmmm, no visible damage. Me: Did you leave it unlocked? Victom: Yeah, I guess. Me: What did they take? Victim: Well, my laptop and my radar detector. But the gates are supposed to protect us from that. Me: Hahahaha!!!
LOL, I agree! Every pizza delivery teenager has a code to the gates.
Old 10-01-2021, 05:42 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MY Acura 2019 was subject to a relay attack as the attached video shows. The key fobs were in the house and not near the auto. The car was locked. If it were not, the lights would not have flashed. Acura is denying liability. Said they are aware of no known issues. They are giving me the runaround. They said I should have the keys re-programmed at my expense, but the police advised that the would be criminals would just re-program whatever device they are using to hack the vehicle.

Monday morning @ 3;51am.mov

Old 10-01-2021, 06:28 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Like you keep the key to your house not accessible to the public, keep the signal that the FOB emits not accessible to the public. That can be accomplished by keeping the FOB in a shielded Faraday bag at all times when you are not physically at or in your car when the FOB needs to talk to the vehicle. These signal interceptors can capture codes from a FOB sitting inside a house if not shielded and the car if not garaged is out in the open waiting to be taken. This should be pretty common knowledge by now because this issue has gotten a lot of publicity in the past couple of years.
Old 10-01-2021, 07:25 PM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by gtssenior
Like you keep the key to your house not accessible to the public, keep the signal that the FOB emits not accessible to the public. That can be accomplished by keeping the FOB in a shielded Faraday bag at all times when you are not physically at or in your car when the FOB needs to talk to the vehicle. These signal interceptors can capture codes from a FOB sitting inside a house if not shielded and the car if not garaged is out in the open waiting to be taken. This should be pretty common knowledge by now because this issue has gotten a lot of publicity in the past couple of years.
Yep, everyone wanted keyless/touchless entry and the fob is always omitting the signal. all they do is boost it from the key to the car and access it. In NYC they just caught a team with 100's of honda/acuras
then thye were changing the vins and selling the cars on craigslist etc.

The only way to slow them down is the faraday bag to hamper the repeater

in our condo lot a few months ago my 2017crv (had before the aspec) was the ONLY car that a bunch of guys couldnt get into, half of them were unlocked! and one 2020 crv they physically got into but key was too far away, now had they had the correct tools they would have gotten it .
Luckily they were just grabbing whatever was loose in the car.