Keyless entry fob

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 05:32 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Keyless entry fob

When I arrived far from home and could not find my keyless fob, I thought I left it at home , close enough to start, and would not be able to restart to return. Panic! I did find it in the back, and reading the manual found out that a warning message would have prevented me from driving far if I really had left it home. That led me to consider a backup.. the second fob. But you cannot store it in your backpack, for example, leaving it in the car, as it wont lock if the fob is in the car. I thought I had it figured out by planning to remove the battery from the second FOB and store on my bag, but the manual mentions a second, rechargeable battery in the FOB and that it can be damaged by not quickly replacing a dead main battery.. So that seems to preclude my plan of removing the main battery. Any ideas on how to manage a backup?
Old 10-12-2018, 06:25 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Car shouldn't start if you don't have key in proximity... isn't that case ??
Old 10-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Advanced

Car started because key fob was in trunk, that I expect. I feared key was near car in garage but I left without it after it started, Manual says warnings will sound. But I do wish to have backup in case I lose FOB while out of car on road... be nice to have a backup in my bags but often those same bags are left in car. That you cannot do it seems....
Old 10-12-2018, 06:56 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by rdxny
Car started because key fob was in trunk, that I expect. I feared key was near car in garage but I left without it after it started, Manual says warnings will sound. But I do wish to have backup in case I lose FOB while out of car on road... be nice to have a backup in my bags but often those same bags are left in car. That you cannot do it seems....
The car will NOT start unless the key fob is in the vehicle. That said, it is possible for say your Wife having the key in her pocket, and she drives to say the airport with you and the car is not turned off and you can still drive it home as long as the car is not shut off you can drive it home. That said, when she leaves the vehicle with the FOB, the centre console should show the key has left the vehicle and a beeping sound will make it known the FOB is leaving the car.

Old 10-13-2018, 06:55 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
I have no experience with these, but can't you get one of those key fob blockers and store the key in one of those?

Old 10-13-2018, 01:20 PM
Advanced

That's a brilliant idea! I will try the EZPass bag, if that fails I will seek a FOB case that will block signal. Thanks!
Old 10-26-2018, 02:30 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try wrapping it with aluminum foil. I used it in my wallet and it prevent my credit card from being read.
Old 10-26-2018, 08:35 AM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
As mentioned before, the car will not start unless the key fob is inside the car in proximity to the front seats. I’m doubting even that it will start with the key fob in trunk. They have a range of only a few feet and it probably has to be detected by the ignition as well as both front doors to decide that the fob is indeed with the driver.
The car will not start if the person with key fob is standing right outside the driver door with the door locked.
However once started, the car will drive normally except that you will get warnings continuously that key fob has left the car.
Old 10-26-2018, 09:13 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
I got an RFID packet from Amazon that we use for our credit and bank cards and passports when we travel. At home, I don’t bother since it is a PITA to use those sleeves.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:25 PM
Advanced

The car will definitely start, and drive without warnings, with the Fob in the trunk... that's how I got to my destination in the first post (it was in my spare pants).
But I did test and it will give warnings if not in car at all, glad of that.
As for the spare, aluminum foil does do a great job "hiding" a spare I keep in my backpack, just in case.