HVAC cold start squeaking noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021 | 08:37 AM
Intermediate

HVAC cold start squeaking noise

Anyone have an audible squealing noise on cold start for HVAC? It's not consistently on, just upon cold startup. Sounds more like a mechanism that controls where the air blows Vs blower fan. I want to take it in, but scared it's like an entire dash out type of job and they will introduce rattles etc
Old 01-10-2021 | 08:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RDXWiz
Anyone have an audible squealing noise on cold start for HVAC? It's not consistently on, just upon cold startup. Sounds more like a mechanism that controls where the air blows Vs blower fan. I want to take it in, but scared it's like an entire dash out type of job and they will introduce rattles etc

I had this on my older Acuras, usually this involves adding lube to mechanical parts or replacing air-mix motor for HVAC. Its usually under dash, so they dont have to remove entire dashboard. This stuff usually happens after car is 10 years old, this is surprising.

Old 01-10-2021 | 12:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by russianDude
I had this on my older Acuras, usually this involves adding lube to mechanical parts or replacing air-mix motor for HVAC. Its usually under dash, so they dont have to remove entire dashboard. This stuff usually happens after car is 10 years old, this is surprising.
Agreed, this is worrisome for a 1 year old car!
This is my first Acura product and I've visited the dealership 4 times in the past 6 months to warranty items.
Old 01-10-2021 | 05:44 PM
Racer

Mine has started doing this on its third winter. As the OP describes, only on cold mornings, and it goes away after a few minutes driving. I'd say its the main blower motor bearings / bushings drying out, as I can get it to stop or increase by changing the fan speed. I've seen this before on Toyota vehicles. Back then people were pulling out the blower motor from under the dash, a couple shots of oil into the vent holes, then hold the motor such that gravity gets the oil down to the bushing locations. After that you'd have to take care with drips of oil coming out onto the floor mat for a couple days, but it solved the problem.
Old 01-10-2021 | 06:12 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Don't worry, rattles will come even without them removing the dash. =']