How much time after purchase can you expect Acura to address blemishes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2020, 09:08 AM
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
How much time after purchase can you expect Acura to address blemishes?

I purchased an RDX a couple weeks ago and we’re finally having some sunny weather. I’ve noticed some interior blemishes that came with the car. For example, both A-pillars are very scuffed up for a car that had 7 miles on it.

So I’m curious, is there a grace period for bringing these issues to the dealer and expecting them to do anything about it?

Old 12-13-2020, 09:49 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
If you mean "have them address it for free," the answer is that as soon as you drive it off the lot they have no responsibility for cosmetic issues. If you want them to address it under warranty, like some people buy the tire warranty for some bizarre reason, then it's whatever the warranty specifies.
Old 12-13-2020, 09:50 AM
Banned

Also, you might want to post some pictures of these A pillars. Maybe someone can give you recommendations or has seen it before.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:04 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by DriverOne
If you mean "have them address it for free," the answer is that as soon as you drive it off the lot they have no responsibility for cosmetic issues. If you want them to address it under warranty, like some people buy the tire warranty for some bizarre reason, then it's whatever the warranty specifies.
Yes, I realize they have no obligation to fix any non-warranty item after you drive it off the lot. But I’m curious if people have experience any kind of informal grace period for free fixes. Some brands are better than others at that kind of customer service.
Old 12-13-2020, 10:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,429 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Originally Posted by jmhumr
Yes, I realize they have no obligation to fix any non-warranty item after you drive it off the lot. But I’m curious if people have experience any kind of informal grace period for free fixes. Some brands are better than others at that kind of customer service.
Very much depends on the specific dealer. It’s unlikely you’ll get any resolution from Acura corporate because they tend to be incredibly stingy with goodwill repairs, so it’s entirely up to your dealer and what they think you’re worth to them as a customer.
The following users liked this post:
amcobra (12-13-2020)
Old 12-13-2020, 10:14 AM
Banned

I'm not trying to bring you down, but it has nothing to do with Acura as a brand. It's any car company. If you have a car for 2 weeks and then discover a problem, they don't know if you caused it. I can't think of any car company that would repair damage that far out. Maybe if you had one of the six-figure cars, but you're paying to be treated like royalty in that case.
Old 12-13-2020, 11:59 AM
Safety Car

I'm not trying to bring you down, but it has nothing to do with Acura as a brand. It's any car company. If you have a car for 2 weeks and then discover a problem, they don't know if you caused it. I can't think of any car company that would repair damage that far out. Maybe if you had one of the six-figure cars, but you're paying to be treated like royalty in that case.

Seems you’ve been hanging around Acura for too long. Most other luxury automakers will give their customers the benefit of the doubt unless it’s pretty obvious it’s user error. Acura dealerships, at least around Northern California, seems to be predisposed to blame it on the customer to wiggle their way out of honoring the warranty. For instance, some dealers have refused to fix the broken seat plastic issue on the TLX even though it’s clearly a defect or design flaw, and instead blame it on how the driver sits: https://acurazine.com/forums/first-g...-error-960706/

Myself, I’ve had a battery replacement be denied because I couldn’t prove I didn’t leave the radio or lights on overnight, had to fight over getting my misaligned fuel door fixed because they claimed I could have knocked into it while it was open, and had to go to three dealerships to get my key replaced because they said they can’t prove that I didn’t drop it or break it while replacing the battery. All utter bullshit, but this is the way Acura dealers around the area seem to be going towards. This is the type of behavior I’d expect from Dodge or Hyundai, not Honda, much less Honda’s supposed “luxury” brand. Compare this to the local Lexus dealership, who for my parents replaced the rotors as a goodwill repair even after the warranty was up, and repaired the worn out trim on the steering wheel after a few years even though they could have blamed it on wear and tear. They recently went in for a fuel pump recall, and as part of the repair they returned the car with a full tank of gas to apologize for the inconvenience. Small cost to them, but they now have customers for life in my parents, whereas my Acura experience has soured me considerably on the brand, especially if I’m thinking about ponying up big bucks for something like an MDX.

Last edited by fiatlux; 12-13-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:08 PM
Banned

Neat, please submit any type of concrete evidence that any car company you have ever dealt with has voluntarily corrected a cosmetic issue of any type with a car purchased two weeks prior.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:21 PM
Safety Car

Neat, please submit any type of concrete evidence that any car company you have ever dealt with has voluntarily corrected a cosmetic issue of any type with a car purchased two weeks prior.
It's people like you with low expectations that enable Acura to lower their quality of service.

Here ya go:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-warranty.html
I had the driver's side seat cover replaced twice on my C6Z. First time it was wear due to the previous owner, second time was wear due to dealer car jockey about 3 weeks after they replaced the first skin
https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-warranty.html
I had 2 separate tears on my drivers seat and I took it to the dealership and they replaced it under warranty for free. If I were you I'd take it back to the dealer and complain a little. They SHOULD fix it under warranty.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/a...ranty.1060561/
Just brought my X3 for it's last free maintenance - oil/spark plugs. 46K - and when I brought it in I mentioned the cracking on the side of the driver seat - the service rep called me later that day to say they would replace it under warranty once.
https://www.odyclub.com/threads/flak...e-seat.152726/
I had this happen on my '07 when it was still within the 3yr/36K warranty. It happened on the seat bottom (not the backrest) and it was on the side near where the seat controls are (not where your but sits). They replaced the entire leather cover on the seat bottom under warranty.
Even some Acura dealerships will play ball
https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-01-0...r-wear-771398/
my 07 type s tl had this issue ... but i got the seat cover replaced under warranty
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...repair-907093/
I had mine replaced under warranty
Of course, YMMV with Acura:
https://consumerist.com/2007/03/30/a...kind-of-pants/
He refused to fix a split in the stitching on the driver’s side because he claims:
1) I get into the car “wrong” (whatever that means)
2) I wear the wrong kind of pants. Yes, you read that right. The guy told me that blue jeans tend to scuff the leather, and that I might not have this problem if I wore slacks. Apparently getting into the car with Levis is not considered “normal use” under the terms of the warrantee.
Oh wait, but those are all about the seats. What about even less consequential things, like the B-pillar?
https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/b...el-wear.31240/
Our dealer replaced the the B pillar panel under warranty.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...nd-tear-4.html
yup, got mine replaced..parts showed the cost at $800!! Love Lexus Warranty!!
Hell even Tesla will honor it
https://forums.tesla.com/discussion/...pillar-problem
Mine had a hole worn in it from my elbow so I had it replaced last month under warranty (7 months, 7,000 miles, textile interior)
Is this enough evidence? Or will you say that everyone is lying?

Last edited by fiatlux; 12-13-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fiatlux
It's people like you with low expectations that enable Acura to lower their quality of service.
This is pretty awesome. He pointed me to a Corvette forum where a guy wore a hole in his leather seats and then everyone on that forum said the exact same thing, which is that it's his problem and no Corvette dealer would repair it. Then someone asks what the mileage on the car was and he says 18,000. Then at the end he says "they replaced it under the warranty," which people on the Corvette forum were even laughing at.

It's people like you who are the problem. You just have an irrational anger towards Acura that makes you give out completely inaccurate and unbelievable advice that I would never rely on. You just make up stuff like "yeah, any other car company would give you a new car, it happened three times to my entire family. After ten years, they just replaced my entire car for free." OK.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:28 PM
Banned

Oh, wait, it's even better because the person whose seat cover was replaced under warranty wasn't even the guy who had the problem. It was just another guy with a problem who had it under warranty. The guy with the problem never got it fixed. Man, Corvettes suck, am I right? Trash garbage company. Where's my free car?
Old 12-13-2020, 12:30 PM
Safety Car

Sure, focus in on one single data point and ignore all the other ones I provided while setting up straw men and using hyperbole. Just admit it, you're grasping at straws trying to excuse poor customer service.

Please do a thorough analysis on each of those threads; frankly if you can provide some counterpoints I'm all ears.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:34 PM
Banned

I don't need to read the other points. A) Your first point was false. B) All your points are "under warranty," which wasn't your claim. Therefore, all of your points fail. You hate Acura and you therefore give out false advice intended to harm Acura. The end.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:37 PM
Safety Car

I don't need to read the other points. A) Your first point was false. B) All your points are "under warranty," which wasn't your claim. Therefore, all of your points fail. You hate Acura and you therefore give out false advice intended to harm Acura. The end.
Actually if we want to pedantic, you said "submit any type of concrete evidence that any car company you have ever dealt with has voluntarily corrected a cosmetic issue of any type with a car purchased two weeks prior", so all I had to do was show that it has happened at least once in the history of all mankind. Doesn't matter if there's millions of warranty rejections, as long as there's one approval I've done exactly what you've asked for.

Sorry, you kind of set yourself up for failure there.

Oh yeah, and I did end up getting Acura to fix my misaligned fuel door (which is a cosmetic issue unless you would like to argue otherwise). Want to see the work order for it? Seems like that would be concrete proof.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:39 PM
Banned

And you haven't. All you did was claim you had proof, then tried a switcheroo with warranty examples. You have literally the entire Internet that you tried Googling and you got zero. How's that feel? You got zero.

LMAO, but "Acura sucks," am I right? HA HA HA HA
Old 12-13-2020, 12:40 PM
Safety Car

And you haven't. All you did was claim you had proof, then tried a switcheroo with warranty examples. You have literally the entire Internet that you tried Googling and you got zero. How's that feel? You got zero.

LMAO, but "Acura sucks," am I right? HA HA HA HA
Keep burying your head in the sand. If your argument is that "everyone on the internet is lying" that's pretty weak. What do you consider proof to be? Work orders? A signed affidavit from the service advisor confirming that it was indeed performed under warranty? I mean, if you're going to dismiss everything on the internet, we might as well dismiss all the people who say they've experienced limp mode in the RDX because nobody has posted video evidence. Maybe you already have...
Old 12-13-2020, 12:41 PM
Banned

BTW, sorry to jmhumr, who was looking for real advice. Now this thread will just devolve into fiatlux trying to salvage his reputation after he was caught trying to talk up every other car company except Acura by lying.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:44 PM
Safety Car

BTW, sorry to jmhumr, who was looking for real advice. Now this thread will just devolve into fiatlux trying to salvage his reputation after he was caught trying to talk up every other car company except Acura by lying.
Did I not mention that Acura has also performed warranty repairs in the past? Sorry if that doesn't fit into your narrative of me being a big fat Acura hater.

Jmhumr; don't listen to that low-expectation Acura-is-always-in-the-right on-his-knees dumbass. Ask for it to be repaired, and if they refuse, go to another dealership and do the same. Depending on your location you have a decent chance, and if none do, remember that the next time you're looking for a new car.

Edit: Are you referring to the outside of the A-pillar, or the interior? If it's the interior you have a decent chance, if it's the exterior...not so much. They might buff it out for you if they're nice, but I wouldn't count on it.

Edit 2: Nevermind, you said interior. In that case I would any decent dealership to fix it, provided it's not your own grease stains or a soda explosion.

Last edited by fiatlux; 12-13-2020 at 12:48 PM.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:46 PM
Banned

Fiatlux must be angry after having to admit that Acura, like all his other examples, performs warranty repairs, which had nothing to do with his initial claim that he's hoping everyone forgets. Sad.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:49 PM
Banned

Edit: Are you referring to the outside of the A-pillar, or the interior? If it's the interior you have a decent chance, if it's the exterior...not so much. They might buff it out for you if they're nice, but I wouldn't count on it.
So get this: after crapping up the entire thread with his irrational and false claim that any other car company would repair the damage, at the end when he was caught, fiatlux suddenly says "not so much." He went from "any other decent car company would do it, I promise!" to "no."
Old 12-13-2020, 12:49 PM
Safety Car

Fiatlux must be angry after having to admit that Acura, like all his other examples, performs warranty repairs, which had nothing to do with his initial claim that he's hoping everyone forgets. Sad.
And yet you were the one that said NOBODY ever gets these things done. So what is it? You can't have it both ways saying I was wrong about Acura not doing warranty repairs for cosmetic defects, while simultaneously claiming nobody does these type of warranty repairs. Sad.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:50 PM
Safety Car

So get this: after crapping up the entire thread with his irrational and false claim that any other car company would repair the damage, at the end when he was caught, fiatlux suddenly says "not so much." He went from "any other decent car company would do it, I promise!" to "no."
Clearly you can't read, because he said interior, and I said no for the exterior, yes for the interior.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:51 PM
Banned

And yet you were the one that said NOBODY ever gets these things done.
The best part is that you think nobody can read the posts above, both yours and mine, and see who is lying about the others' posts.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:53 PM
Safety Car

Might as well put it to a vote then: like mine if you think I'm right, like his if you think he's right.

Just don't go demanding for a recount when ya lose.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:53 PM
Banned

Might as well put it to a vote then: like mine if you think I'm right, like his if you think he's right.
Or they could just read the posts above.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:55 PM
Banned

Just don't go demanding for a recount when ya lose.
That's actually a point in my favor. You're of the party that doesn't care about the actual truth, as reflected in the posts. You're like "no, let's make this a popularity contest, regardless of who was right!" It's irrelevant to me whether people like you more because they like the incorrect information you dispense. I only care who is right.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:55 PM
Safety Car

Or they could just read the posts above.
Sure, but then without the negative signals you wouldn't know you're wrong . And that's the most important thing; when idiots on the internet are shown that they're wrong .
Old 12-13-2020, 12:56 PM
Banned

sure, but then without the negative signals you wouldn't know you're wrong . And that's the most important thing; when idiots on the internet are shown that they're wrong :d.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:56 PM
Safety Car

That's actually a point in my favor. You're of the party that doesn't care about the actual truth, as reflected in the posts. You're like "no, let's make this a popularity contest, regardless of who was right!" It's irrelevant to me whether people like you more because they like the incorrect information you dispense. I only care who is right.
Sounds like loser speak to me, to claim popularity != correctness when you were the one to first suggest that people can read the above and make their own decision.
Old 12-13-2020, 12:58 PM
Banned

Sounds like loser speak to me, to claim popularity != correctness when you were the one to first suggest that people can read the above and make their own decision.
Sounds like loser speak to me when you ignored your actual posts where you lied repeatedly and said "no, let's make this into a likes contest."
Old 12-13-2020, 12:59 PM
Safety Car

HAHAHAHAH I forgot you're the guy who doesn't even know how to adjust a rearview mirror.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...estion-989024/

This is probably the dumbest question asked on here, but does the rear view mirror tilt up and down at all? I'm not tall and I have the seat all the way down, but the mirror is still aimed to where I have to hunch a little to see through it. I tried tilting it, but it didn't really tilt and I didn't want to accidentally break it if it doesn't tilt.
Alright, now I know why it's like talking to a brick wall. I LOVE IT!
Old 12-13-2020, 01:00 PM
Banned

Notice how he's trying to change the subject from his profuse and repeated lying?
Old 12-13-2020, 01:02 PM
Safety Car

Notice how he's trying to change the subject from his profuse and repeated lying?
Your only comeback is to deflect and call people liars? Where'd you go to school, the University of Trump?
Old 12-13-2020, 01:03 PM
Banned

LOL, he's like "the only thing you have on me is that I lie a lot. Is that all you got?"
Old 12-13-2020, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
RDX Interior

I purchased an RDX a couple weeks ago and we’re finally having some sunny weather. I’ve noticed some interior blemishes that came with the car. For example, both A-pillars are very scuffed up for a car that had 7 miles on it.

So I’m curious, is there a grace period for bringing these issues to the dealer and expecting them to do anything about it?
2021 RDX interior issue fixed two months after purchase. Driver’s seat cushion wrinkled beyond reasonable. Called service manager, sent pictures. He called back and stated replacement ordered. Replacement received in two weeks! Install perfect less than 3 hours. Depends on dealer in my opinion.

Last edited by amcobra; 12-13-2020 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-13-2020, 04:02 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by amcobra
2021 RDX interior issue fixed two months after purchase. Driver’s seat cushion wrinkled beyond reasonable. Called service manager, sent pictures. He called back and stated replacement ordered. Replacement received in two weeks! Install perfect less than 3 hours. Depends on dealer in my opinion.
You’re lying, apparently dealerships never fix cosmetic issues under warranty after 2 weeks /s.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:22 PM
Banned

You’re lying, apparently dealerships never fix cosmetic issues under warranty after 2 weeks /s.
fiatlux admits that Acura is the greatest brand ever for customer service. /no s
Old 12-13-2020, 07:30 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
RDX Interior

Not sure if you are trying to win the contest for the most post count. However your sarcasm is not appropriate.nor appreciated.😂
Old 12-13-2020, 10:54 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by amcobra
Thanks for the anecdote! That gives me some confidence. I’ll post pics of the A pillar scuffs tomorrow, but it looks like they were from the bottom of the parts bin or something. In some light you can’t see it, but in others it looks not right. The quantity of scuffing on both pillars should hopefully convince them that it wasn’t me.

Funny you mention seat wrinkles - that was an issue that I did report before taking delivery. Awful craftsmanship on one of the passenger seat bolsters. Looks like they didn’t stretch the leather before stitching and now it’s all puckered. They’ll replace after the holidays.

Crazy how Acura doesn’t seem to have a worthwhile inspection of their cars coming off the line. Would be cheaper and faster to fix right there vs. dealing with all of these customer service requests.
The following users liked this post:
amcobra (12-14-2020)