Hope buying RDX isn’t a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 10:27 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Hope buying RDX isn’t a mistake

Monday I.will be picking up an RDX Advance that I ordered in November. I am excited about it. But with gas prices going up, I wondered if I should be trading in my current vehicle which runs on regular, not premium. And I actually took a look at an Lexus NXh hybrid but it had the luxury package which I would not want. I would probably want the premium package and who knows when that would be available. But a big reason I wanted the RDX was for the larger cargo area compared to what I have and the NX cargo space isn’t much larger than I currently have. So, hopefully I will like the RDX. I’ve had a 2013 & 2016 RDX which I really liked so I’m not going into this blind. What I’m trading in is a 2020 Audi Q3.
Old 02-23-2022, 11:57 PM
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
RDX is way better than a Q3, you made an excellent decision. You won’t regret
The following 3 users liked this post by R3amir:
Mark-RDX (02-24-2022), oblio98 (02-24-2022), ShouldIBuyNew (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 12:30 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by R3amir
RDX is way better than a Q3, you made an excellent decision. You won’t regret
Thanks! Just based on a quick review of the RDX infotainment system, I think I like the infotainment system of my Q3 better than the RDX but I figure I will get used to it. Everything else I like better on the RDX especially cargo space and having remote start. Oh, and Q3 doesn’t have memory seats which is unbelievable!
The following 2 users liked this post by ShouldIBuyNew:
mg3878 (03-17-2022), pilozm (02-27-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 12:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by ShouldIBuyNew
Thanks! Just based on a quick review of the RDX infotainment system, I think I like the infotainment system of my Q3 better than the RDX but I figure I will get used to it. Everything else I like better on the RDX especially cargo space and having remote start. Oh, and Q3 doesn’t have memory seats which is unbelievable!
But it sounds like MPG is a big concern for you and depending on your driving style and type the RDX has been getting disappointing real world numbers unfortunately and on this forum seeing as low as 15 MPG city regularly.
The following 2 users liked this post by ESHBG:
pilozm (02-27-2022), Texasrdx21 (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 05:19 AM
Drifting

Received 1,273 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by ESHBG
But it sounds like MPG is a big concern for you and depending on your driving style and type the RDX has been getting disappointing real world numbers unfortunately and on this forum seeing as low as 15 MPG city regularly.
+1

Your prior RDX mpg experience is no longer valid.

Make sure your wallet can stomach the switch from regular to premium from a much heavier RDX than you’re used to.

Last edited by ELIN; 02-24-2022 at 05:31 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
ESHBG (02-24-2022), pilozm (02-27-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 05:31 AM
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Monday I.will be picking up an RDX Advance that I ordered in November. I am excited about it. But with gas prices going up, I wondered if I should be trading in my current vehicle which runs on regular, not premium. And I actually took a look at an Lexus NXh hybrid but it had the luxury package which I would not want. I would probably want the premium package and who knows when that would be available. But a big reason I wanted the RDX was for the larger cargo area compared to what I have and the NX cargo space isn’t much larger than I currently have. So, hopefully I will like the RDX. I’ve had a 2013 & 2016 RDX which I really liked so I’m not going into this blind. What I’m trading in is a 2020 Audi Q3.
I went from a RAV4 Prime XSE to an RDX ASPEC Advance. The Prime is literally the best option with an ICE engine for a quality high mpg vehicle with SUV/CUV utility. This said, people in our income bracket buy vehicles because we enjoy them first, and because they are affordable second. Enjoy your Acura! The mpg is immaterial except as a mental/emotional thing on a spreadsheet. If you are living in such a way that your finances are jeopardized by the mpg your vehicle gets, you are irresponsible for buying any new Audi, RDX, or considering a new Lexus. You would be much better served by a 2017 Mazda CX5 for less than half the price. The $20K you save will buy you LOTS of gas and maintenance. Now, if this is an academic type debate where you just care about the nitty gritty of thermal efficiency and so forth, I totally respect that. I am very curious how my RDX does compared to my CX5 turbo, Prime, and non-turbo CX5 that preceded them. I expect it to do similar to the CX5 turbo, but we will see! I think the reason we see such a wide swing in efficiency is because Honda has stuffed a 10-speed and a 2.0 in here that pushes 20+ PSI boost. Your right foot is going to play a HUGE role in how this goes.
Old 02-24-2022, 05:33 AM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts
I was shopping for my rdx right when the mmc was coming and i knew that , plus i dont drive a ton (knowing the horrible mpg)
so i hunted a low mile cpo

found one after looking at about 10

i usually buy new BUT with the market the way it is i waited for a deal got it and im about 6 months in and i like it but dont love it. Its fun but i go back n forth on it regularly lol

however after 6 months i could carvana it and walk with $1500 more than i paid
The following 2 users liked this post by Type X:
ESHBG (02-24-2022), Unobtanium (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 05:56 AM
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Unobtanium
I went from a RAV4 Prime XSE to an RDX ASPEC Advance. The Prime is literally the best option with an ICE engine for a quality high mpg vehicle with SUV/CUV utility. This said, people in our income bracket buy vehicles because we enjoy them first, and because they are affordable second. Enjoy your Acura! The mpg is immaterial except as a mental/emotional thing on a spreadsheet. If you are living in such a way that your finances are jeopardized by the mpg your vehicle gets, you are irresponsible for buying any new Audi, RDX, or considering a new Lexus. You would be much better served by a 2017 Mazda CX5 for less than half the price. The $20K you save will buy you LOTS of gas and maintenance. Now, if this is an academic type debate where you just care about the nitty gritty of thermal efficiency and so forth, I totally respect that. I am very curious how my RDX does compared to my CX5 turbo, Prime, and non-turbo CX5 that preceded them. I expect it to do similar to the CX5 turbo, but we will see! I think the reason we see such a wide swing in efficiency is because Honda has stuffed a 10-speed and a 2.0 in here that pushes 20+ PSI boost. Your right foot is going to play a HUGE role in how this goes.
Thank you for this message. I just for my 2022 RDX Advanced yesterday and, with the Russian incursion and expected continued rise of gas prices, I started having doubts on why I didn't get a plug in hybrid. I just turned in a 2019 QX50 after 39 months with 10k miles so I don't drive that much. When looking at the XC60, the hybrid was leasing for $150/month more than the gas version. I estimated I might save $50/month in gas. Now maybe it will be closer to $75-$100 but still not worth it - especially because I preferred the RDX to the XC60. Your comments made me feel better

I am going to start a new post on my initial impressions later but wanted to just say thank you.
The following users liked this post:
mantan (09-10-2024)
Old 02-24-2022, 06:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
It will take you a long time to recoup trade in losses before you will break even in on gas savings.
Old 02-24-2022, 06:11 AM
Advanced

Possibly stupid question: I noticed a typo in my above post. I don't see a way to edit it. What am I missing?
Old 02-24-2022, 06:21 AM
Drifting

Received 1,273 Likes on 927 Posts
Originally Posted by gadgetfreak
Possibly stupid question: I noticed a typo in my above post. I don't see a way to edit it. What am I missing?
You need a min of 5-10 day as a member of AZ before you can edit.
Old 02-24-2022, 07:45 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ELIN
You need a min of 5-10 day as a member of AZ before you can edit.
Thx! I will try to be more careful in my posts .
Old 02-24-2022, 07:57 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,245 Likes on 1,031 Posts
Thx! I will try to be more careful in my posts .
Once you are past the 5-10 day period and have the ability to edit your posts, you only have about 10-15 mins to edit your posts. It's not an always editable scenario.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 349 Likes on 257 Posts
It is all about choices. Deep $$$ pockets for ICE SUV and Truck will be the norm for filling them up.

Unfortunately the barrel of oil just passed $100, and we now rely on OPEC and Russia for all of our oil - when we were energy independent a couple of years ago. We are only going up from here - seeing a massive number of new suburbans, big trucks and gas gulping vehicles showing up for sale all over. Reminds me of 2008!

MPG on the RDX on a daily bases is not where near advertised. My 2021 Aspec SHawd with 7k miles is getting 21 average overall. However, I have seen 13-16 mpg in the city regularly and 22-25 on the highway (in ideal conditions, low wind, flat terrain and moderate temps + speed legal mph). I surely wished we had gas prices below $2 like in 2020.

Honda/Acura have missed the boat on building high performance Hybrid vehicles (besides the NSX) for the consumer. Wish Acura had a RDX Hybrid - with similar combined power and significantly better gas mileage. They are way behind the EV game too.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 02-24-2022 at 08:41 AM.
ESHBG (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 08:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Thank you for this message. I just for my 2022 RDX Advanced yesterday and, with the Russian incursion and expected continued rise of gas prices, I started having doubts on why I didn't get a plug in hybrid. I just turned in a 2019 QX50 after 39 months with 10k miles so I don't drive that much. When looking at the XC60, the hybrid was leasing for $150/month more than the gas version. I estimated I might save $50/month in gas. Now maybe it will be closer to $75-$100 but still not worth it - especially because I preferred the RDX to the XC60. Your comments made me feel better

I am going to start a new post on my initial impressions later but wanted to just say thank you.
IMO - You don't drive that much (3,300/average a year) for energy prices to be a big factor. If it was 12k-15k a year, that would be a completely another story. Enjoy your new ride -
Old 02-24-2022, 08:56 AM
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Really depends on how you're driving, you drive everyday? City? Highway? Jumping from a 2008 CRV to 2022 RDX myself, I noticed the huge jump in gas pricing. Costed me $40 to fill up half the tank which made my eyes pop (roughly $3.90~/gallon) . Previously it was just $40 to fill up the whole tank of CRV and its only about 1.5-2.0 gallons off.
I drive often but very short distances, probably around 3,500-4,000 miles per year, and currently averaging 16.0 mpg. Was under that for a few months for a while till I jumped on the highway a bit more.
But I love the power it has, the sound quality, and the handling. Handles amazingly.
Never had remote start previously but it's just so good during the winter, and it heats up the front seats and steering wheel for me. Curious what kind of habits I'll have for the car in the summer for starting up, still trying to figure out how to roll down the windows from my key fob correctly.
Texasrdx21 (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 09:05 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Something that was not mentioned above...Acura RECOMMENDS the use of Premium fuel, Acura does NOT REQUIRE it. I drove my '19 Advance for ~30,000 miles without ever using Premium fuel. And the dealer applauded this, in fact they told me the only Acura they put Premium in is the NSX.

So now you just saved about $.50 a gallon! (depending on the spread where you live)
The following 2 users liked this post by JB in AZ:
Showkey (02-24-2022), TheDatanator (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Something that was not mentioned above...Acura RECOMMENDS the use of Premium fuel, Acura does NOT REQUIRE it. I drove my '19 Advance for ~30,000 miles without ever using Premium fuel. And the dealer applauded this, in fact they told me the only Acura they put Premium in is the NSX.

So now you just saved about $.50 a gallon! (depending on the spread where you live)
Agree. A little less performance and MPG with regular gas, as the computer adjusts for the decrease in octane (automatically adjusts ignition timing to suit the lower octane fuel).
However the RDX is a sporty not sports SUV - so in the real world it preforms fine on regular gas. Just be glad you don't live in California - they have the highest fuel prices in the nation.
JB in AZ (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 09:56 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
So, what's changed in the past few months? You had the exact opposite view not long ago:

"I am burning over $300/mo in fuel. I am preparing to transition into a rav4 prime xse to stave the bleeding as gas prices continue to rise. Any compelling reasons not to that I may have glossed over?"

https://mazdas247.com/forum/t/rav4-p.../#post-6732122
The following 2 users liked this post by JustMe...:
ESHBG (02-24-2022), pilozm (02-27-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 10:05 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JustMe...
So, what's changed in the past few months? You had the exact opposite view not long ago:

"I am burning over $300/mo in fuel. I am preparing to transition into a rav4 prime xse to stave the bleeding as gas prices continue to rise. Any compelling reasons not to that I may have glossed over?"

We all feel the pain with a barrel of oil hitting $100 today. Wish the USA policy was to be energy independent again, for the consumers and national security.

The average consumer is going to get slammed with gas prices rocketing. Back in 2008 when this happened, that was the time of the Smart Car and Fiat 500 that were selling like hot cakes.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Did everyone forget in 2012 it was 3.60 for regular (not adjusted for inflation)
JM2010 SH-AWD (02-25-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 11:13 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Agree. A little less performance and MPG with regular gas, as the computer adjusts for the decrease in octane (automatically adjusts ignition timing to suit the lower octane fuel).
However the RDX is a sporty not sports SUV - so in the real world it preforms fine on regular gas. Just be glad you don't live in California - they have the highest fuel prices in the nation.
The first couple years I had my 2019, I ran mostly premium (93). The past year, since even regular has been well above $3, I've run only regular (87). The car runs better on premium but it runs fine on regular.

Thank you Mr. President. And thank you Mr. Putin.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 550 Likes on 356 Posts
Dollars and cents are only part of my thought process, and I like to keep in mind where my money is going, who it supports, what the impact on the environment is... So with all of that in mind I like to try to keep my MPG as high as possible. And just strictly economically the price of gas can fluctuate wildly and it's unpredictable, would rather have huge spikes impact me as minimally as possible.
Old 02-24-2022, 11:28 AM
Advanced

As someone who only cares about the smoothness of the ride and cabin comfort/quiet, what does it mean when you say it "drives better"?
Old 02-24-2022, 01:03 PM
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Last Friday, traded in our 2020 RDX Advance for 2022 Advance. Ride and cabin noise are noticeably improved; particularly in "Comfort" setting. Fit & Finish also markedly improved from my 2020 example.

On Saturday, drove from Columbus, OH to Winston-Salem, NC on and averaged 23.5mpg for the 430 mile trip on "regular" gas - mostly traveling at 70-75mph; windy and air temps in the 30's... About the same as I was getting with the 2020. I would expect (hope) for mileage to improve from these levels as time goes on.
Old 02-24-2022, 01:57 PM
Advanced

Thanks for all the comments. It made me think a lot about my RDX purchase. I realized that I love having a vehicle that I enjoy. And mpg shouldn’t be that important to me.since I don’t put that many miles on my vehicles. I can afford the RDX and the gas so I’m going to enjoy it!
The following 4 users liked this post by ShouldIBuyNew:
amcobra (02-24-2022), MetalMan55 (02-24-2022), R3amir (02-24-2022), tecwerks (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MetalMan55
Last Friday, traded in our 2020 RDX Advance for 2022 Advance. Ride and cabin noise are noticeably improved; particularly in "Comfort" setting. Fit & Finish also markedly improved from my 2020 example.

On Saturday, drove from Columbus, OH to Winston-Salem, NC on and averaged 23.5mpg for the 430 mile trip on "regular" gas - mostly traveling at 70-75mph; windy and air temps in the 30's... About the same as I was getting with the 2020. I would expect (hope) for mileage to improve from these levels as time goes on.
I got similar highway mileage on a 1,100 mile trip on my 2021 RDX Aspec SHawd with 5500 miles on here - between 65-75mph, similar temps and a head wind or tail wind that cancelled each other out. Believe thats the best she will do, unless the speed is reduces, flat terrain and temps in the 50-65 degree.
tecwerks (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 05:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
To me, touch screens are overrated. I really like the trackpad in the RDX. Fingerprints on a screen are no good.
tecwerks (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 06:13 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bdawwg
To me, touch screens are overrated. I really like the trackpad in the RDX. Fingerprints on a screen are no good.
Good to hear. I’m anxious to use the touchpad. I’m sure I’ll get used to it. Hopefully I will end up liking it!
tecwerks (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 06:14 PM
Intermediate

Good to hear. I’m anxious to use the touchpad. I’m sure I’ll get used to it. Hopefully I will end up liking it!
Yeah, seriously underrated system IMO.
tecwerks (02-24-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
It is easy if you set up favorite "icons" at the corners of the screen, then it is super easy to do all by feel...Upper right: SXM, lower left: FM...etc. Then a lot can be done from the steering wheel.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:10 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
I used MidGrade in my 19 RDX for 65,000 and now am using midgrade gas in my 2022 AspecAdvance. Car performs fine and the dealer service rep said there was no issue with using midgrade as they premium use is only a recommendation.

The only time I've used Premium is when I get gas at Costco because they do not have midgrade. Honestly, I can tell no difference in car performance when I do use the Costco premium
Old 02-24-2022, 09:13 PM
Racer

I probably spent $120/mo in fuel with my Prime, and calculate around $280/mo or so for the RDX in fuel. It just is what it is mate.
Old 02-24-2022, 09:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by ESHBG
Dollars and cents are only part of my thought process, and I like to keep in mind where my money is going, who it supports, what the impact on the environment is... So with all of that in mind I like to try to keep my MPG as high as possible. And just strictly economically the price of gas can fluctuate wildly and it's unpredictable, would rather have huge spikes impact me as minimally as possible.
Understood. I only drive 30K miles per year or so, so it's not that big of a deal to me. Every penny I spend goes to support my habits and choices, so now worries, there. If you own a company, etc. and are buying fleet vehicles though, totally get it!
ESHBG (02-25-2022)
Old 02-24-2022, 09:18 PM
Racer

I decided that if I were going to spend $45K on a vehicle, I might as well get one that I enjoyed the most. Also, I began looking at what the Prime was costing me. I was saving around $150/mo. That's not enough to incentivize me to drive it, as I began to get frustrated with the interior (nothing lit up, wildly punching buttons in the dark trying to unlock a door or roll a window...inexcusable for $45K, handling was horrific in snow/ice. Handling in dry was not sporting at all. Acceleration was nice only on perfect roads with not a hint of dirt or dust to induce spin.) Basically, the hybrid system just wasn't worth the meager savings. Further, I do drive a hair less, now. I only put 12K miles on my Prime since I bought it back in Sep. '21.
Old 02-24-2022, 10:57 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
I decided that if I were going to spend $45K on a vehicle, I might as well get one that I enjoyed the most. Also, I began looking at what the Prime was costing me. I was saving around $150/mo. That's not enough to incentivize me to drive it, as I began to get frustrated with the interior (nothing lit up, wildly punching buttons in the dark trying to unlock a door or roll a window...inexcusable for $45K, handling was horrific in snow/ice. Handling in dry was not sporting at all. Acceleration was nice only on perfect roads with not a hint of dirt or dust to induce spin.) Basically, the hybrid system just wasn't worth the meager savings. Further, I do drive a hair less, now. I only put 12K miles on my Prime since I bought it back in Sep. '21.
My question was not about the Rav4, but your priority shift in such a short time.

You should be happy with the RDX, as long as you don't care about the cost of driving it. 30k miles a year is a lot.
Old 02-25-2022, 03:23 AM
Racer

My question was not about the Rav4, but your priority shift in such a short time.

You should be happy with the RDX, as long as you don't care about the cost of driving it. 30k miles a year is a lot.
The Prime was worse dynamically than I thought it would be. The savings weren't worth driving a penalty box.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:06 AM
Intermediate

The Prime was worse dynamically than I thought it would be. The savings weren't worth driving a penalty box.
penalty box lol...new favorite car phrase
Old 02-25-2022, 07:48 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
If the cost of premium gas is a concern, then run a quality brand regular unleaded and use Lucas Oil Upper Cylinder Lubricant and Injector cleaner every 4k - 5k miles.
Old 02-25-2022, 08:21 PM
Racer

I find it annoying in some ways, nice in others. Expect a learning curve. Im not bent about it though. Hands down Mazda had the best interface, IMO, with their rotary wheel system.

Quick Reply: Hope buying RDX isn’t a mistake