FWD RDX - any regrets not getting SH-AWD?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2019, 08:08 PM
Gearhead

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Arizona has some of the most beautiful scenery around and some of the strictest cops out west. I am sure you are all to familiar with getting stuck behind some Winnebago in the mountains and finally find a passing zone to get around it. I think it was about 2 years ago I found myself in that situation on a trip from Casa Grande to Las Vegas and decided to take the really scenic way on my motorcycle. I was had the gear pretty well loaded up for a week long trip.

I was stuck for a good 20-30 min behind a row of cars behind the Winnebago. We might have been doing 30 at best in a 50 mph zone. I finally found a shot were I could pass the whole group including the Winnebago. I moved out into the passing lane so nobody else would try and block me, put my lights on high beam, dropped a few gears and let her rip. Just about time I pulled along the Winne, I saw a car coming through the bend at the end of the straight and about a 1/4 second later my radar detector went off screaming into my helmet and flashing like Vegas neon light. I dropped the anchor so to speak and took advantage of the amazing Brembo brakes and basically put the bike on its nose at somewhere close to a buck fifty.

I knew that it wasn't whether I was going to get a ticket or not, but rather I was going to jail or not. My hope was that I could scrub off enough speed that I wouldn't be wearing bracelets. I was pretty far past the Winne and just slowed down and came to s stop. The LEO had already put on his lights and just went past me a bit and turned around behind me.

First words out of his mouth were "Thanks for not making me chase you or call in back up." Then he asked me for my license and registration. I knew it should all come back clean. He spent about 20 minutes in the car and finally came back. I was starting to get pretty worried that he had called a wrecker or something to to my bike. Another LEO showed up and I thought this was it. The first officer got out of his car. Walks over to me and hands me a paper. I started reading through and realized it was just a warning. I looked up at him sort of dumbfounded and said thanks. He said "I know it is a PITA getting stuck behind some of the motor homes for what seems like days on end. I know you had to be well over 100 but I couldn't lock on to you until about 80. At 80 I would have to arrest you. Since you immediately pulled over I cutting you a break. I dropped it down so I could just give you warning." With that he just turned around and realized I needed to make a big bet when I got to Vegas.

Well that was until about 2 hours later when I got stopped again. This time I was speeding...yet I got stopped for speeding.
Old 10-05-2019, 06:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
I had a 1G RDX that I skipped AWD on (a 2011). My son drives that one now. I always regretted not getting the SH-AWD. When I decided to get one of the new 3Gs, getting AWD was one of my requirements. It actually took some work to find just what I was looking for here in Texas (A-SPEC, SH-AWD, red seats), where most on the lots are 2WD, but it was worth it. I love the way this thing handles.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:44 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Get the SH-AWD and don't look back. I have a Miata ND (heavily modified) to compare so I know what good handling is when I drive one. Also previously owned a few S2000s and Nissan Z cars.

The SH-AWD is good as it gets for any car.
Old 10-07-2019, 02:20 PM
Gearhead

I had a chance to drive in some really heavy rain with flooded roads. I obviously avoided the deep water. The RDX with SHAWD went through everything about as well as the 1500 pickup I traded in. Other than the miserable lag off idle, I could accelerate very hard without any wheelspin. Pushing it hard through some turns in the rain it was nothing but confidence inspiring. By pushing it I mean full throttle in 2nd and 3rd gears, powering through them. No spin, slippage or anything nor did the stability nanny ever kick in even with traction control on. This feels so much better in the turns than the CRV, MDX, Pilot or Passport. It feels more like driving a little sport sedan. Maybe not the driving dynamics of a Porsche but it feels definitely in the ballpark. It really is one of those cars the harder you push it the more you appreciate it.

If your driving will never exceed 6/10th, and you don't have rain or snow to worry about, the FWD version is probably fine. I got sucked into a pretty deep and long puddle that I though sure was going to a challenge and the RDX just plowed right through. Thankfully it wasn't one of the times I was pushing it pretty hard but it did surprisingly well.
Old 10-07-2019, 05:09 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
One of many reasons I have never owned a Subaru is the mandatory AWD. I rarely exceed 6/10th and live where there is very little rain. I don't need the extra cost, slight fuel economy hit, complexity or maintenance that comes with AWD. That's just me. In southern Arizona. If I lived where there was more inclement weather, I wouldn't likely be without it. Here competent AC is far more important, and as I have posted elsewhere, my RDX's AC performs as it should.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:52 PM
Gearhead

Just to throw some fuel on the fire so to speak I recall ready a study sometime ago. If I recall correctly, Audi did some fuel economy testing of their Quattro and FWD cars at the time. What they found was their Quattro (AWD) versions actually got better fuel economy over 80 mph than their FWD counterparts. I always used that as an excuse to go for the Quattro as it would save me on gas.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (10-07-2019)
Old 10-07-2019, 07:09 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by wavshrdr
Just to throw some fuel on the fire so to speak I recall ready a study sometime ago. If I recall correctly, Audi did some fuel economy testing of their Quattro and FWD cars at the time. What they found was their Quattro (AWD) versions actually got better fuel economy over 80 mph than their FWD counterparts. I always used that as an excuse to go for the Quattro as it would save me on gas.
You won't believe some of the excuses I've come up with to justify a new car! (I've owned over 60)
The following users liked this post:
tntrac (10-10-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 10:48 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
if you would afford it, get the awd. it's a $2000 option for a reason
Old 10-13-2019, 07:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Just purchases an SH-AWD A-Spec model. I was debating between a FWD or the AWD model. No regrets at all with the AWD. It's very fun to drive and the power delivery is superb.
Old 10-13-2019, 08:41 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by aqtran
Just purchases an SH-AWD A-Spec model. I was debating between a FWD or the AWD model. No regrets at all with the AWD. It's very fun to drive and the power delivery is superb.
Keel the power up around turns, it really works.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 192 Posts
I have no regrets because I got the SH-AWD 😁