Flat tire on A-Spec

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Flat tire on A-Spec

With less than 300km on my RDX A-Spec, I got a flat tire today. Luckily I was close enough to make it back home but the tire pressure was going down pretty fast. After closer inspection, it looks like I got a small tear in my rear-right tire. Thank god the Canadian versions of the A-spec has a spare tire...so Acura Care swapped it for me and I have an appointment at the dealership Friday to get a replacement.

My drive was short and mostly highway, I've been very careful to avoid potholes, and I haven't been driving aggressively while the engine breaks in...so this is very surprising because the trip was very smooth otherwise. I've never had a flat in my life...but this is also my first time with lower-profile tires. Are frequent flats something I have to watch out for going forward?

Old 09-11-2018, 06:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Just a bad deal in the card game - it happens. Nothing at all to do with tire profile. You probably ran over something that cut the tire.
The following 2 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
37tzee (09-12-2018), SUVGuy (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 06:39 PM
Intermediate

Damn these mean streets of Toronto. I blame Drake somehow.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Why does it go to the dealer for a replacement tire? Tire insurance or you prefer them to replace it? I would just go find a discount Tire or something like it and save the money.

Last edited by Hou-RL; 09-11-2018 at 09:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:02 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Just a bad deal in the card game - it happens. Nothing at all to do with tire profile. You probably ran over something that cut the tire.
Yep. And The Something is still in there, but I'll be damned if I can tell what it is. I'm guessing there was more of it when it impaled the tire.

But it's a hunk of metal in the middle of the tread, so no blaming the lack of sidewall.

You could blame the potholes for making stuff fall off rusty old Canadian cars. And you can blame climate change for the proliferation of potholes. And you can blame Americans for pumping vastly more than their share of CO2 into the atmosphere. So yeah, it's our fault.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:31 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hou-RL
Why does it go to the dealer for a replacement tire? Tire insurance or you prefer them to replace it? I would just go find a discount Tire or something like it and save the money.
I bought an extended warranty and it has tire protection on it. So I'm covered for a replacement!
The following users liked this post:
37tzee (09-12-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 11:25 PM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by SUVGuy
I bought an extended warranty and it has tire protection on it. So I'm covered for a replacement!
I skipped the tire extended warranty. For the cost, we calculated you would have to replace at least one tire maybe 2 tires a year at full price to break even. The tires have a road hazard warranty anyway, so if you run over something and get a flat, they prorate the cost of a new tire based on the remaining treadlife. This was a brand new tire so you would have gotten a new tire for basically free anyway. On new cars the tires are covered under the tire manufacturers warranty not the actual car warranty. A lot of people don’t realize that and get sucked into the extended warranty a dealer offers.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:47 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Wander
Yep. And The Something is still in there, but I'll be damned if I can tell what it is. I'm guessing there was more of it when it impaled the tire.

But it's a hunk of metal in the middle of the tread, so no blaming the lack of sidewall.

You could blame the potholes for making stuff fall off rusty old Canadian cars. And you can blame climate change for the proliferation of potholes. And you can blame Americans for pumping vastly more than their share of CO2 into the atmosphere. So yeah, it's our fault.
Hahaha! Don't even get me started on NAFTA. J/k. The photo is a little misleading but the tear is clean. The "metal" piece is actually just a small pebble stuck there. I have no idea what punctured it.

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

I skipped the tire extended warranty. For the cost, we calculated you would have to replace at least one tire maybe 2 tires a year at full price to break even. The tires have a road hazard warranty anyway, so if you run over something and get a flat, they prorate the cost of a new tire based on the remaining treadlife. This was a brand new tire so you would have gotten a new tire for basically free anyway. On new cars the tires are covered under the tire manufacturers warranty not the actual car warranty. A lot of people don’t realize that and get sucked into the extended warranty a dealer offers.
You're absolutely right! The rep at Acura Care explained that to me. I did initially think that the tire coverage had something to do with the extended warranty too....but anyway, I bought into it as part of my overall deal and for peace of mind since I held onto my last RDX for 11 years (and used the extended warranty to fix the many times my A/C went on the fritz).
Old 09-12-2018, 06:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SUVGuy
Damn these mean streets of Toronto. I blame Drake somehow.
Hate the Drake!

:gheylaugh:

Last edited by Akari; 09-12-2018 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:46 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

...The tires have a road hazard warranty anyway, so if you run over something and get a flat, they prorate the cost of a new tire based on the remaining treadlife. This was a brand new tire so you would have gotten a new tire for basically free anyway. On new cars the tires are covered under the tire manufacturers warranty not the actual car warranty. A lot of people don’t realize that and get sucked into the extended warranty a dealer offers.
Road hazard is usually an upgrade on the purchase of new tires at most aftermarket places in the US. Treadwear warranty is included automatically. I haven’t read the tire booklet, but the warranty on a new vehicle includes road hazard?

Last edited by Master47; 09-16-2018 at 05:52 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:16 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
FWIW, I just checked mine, and RH is not covered for my Continentals.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:18 PM
Drifting

Received 586 Likes on 432 Posts
Many dealerships will be happy to sell you road hazard tire coverage, along with extended vehicle warranty, paint protection, fabric protection, asteroid strike mitigation, and whatever else you want to give them money for.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:36 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Many dealerships will be happy to sell you road hazard tire coverage, along with extended vehicle warranty, paint protection, fabric protection, asteroid strike mitigation, and whatever else you want to give them money for.
The most aggressive ever would have to be the finance manager at the dealership. Almost get into fights with these idiots each time i've bought a car. I think there is an old country song lyric "what part of no don't you understand" ...
Old 09-16-2018, 07:55 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
FWIW, I just checked mine, and RH is not covered for my Continentals.
Makes sense