Flashing Check Engine Light - Limp Mode - Rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2021 | 07:28 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jordster
It was raining! Though not particularly hard. I didn’t even know there was a turbo fix… thanks for the tip. I will be politely demanding this at my next service appointment which is next week.
Sorry my bad, I meant the intercooler fix. Even a little rain could cause the issue. I would get the TSB for that done and see how it goes.
Old 10-14-2021 | 08:25 AM
Instructor

So, I took my car in to Acura this morning and described the limp mode rainy day failure, and the service guy I was talking to immediately recognized the problem, said there is a TSB about it, and I'm getting a new intercooler.

He said it's only *some* cars... but this is a pretty critical issue. I can think of many situations where this would lead to a serious accident! It's disheartening that Honda/Acura isn't issuing a recall, but I guess I'll just be happy with my good luck and new intercooler.
The following users liked this post:
Ih8honda (10-17-2021)
Old 10-14-2021 | 08:36 AM
Suzuka Master

So, I took my car in to Acura this morning and described the limp mode rainy day failure, and the service guy I was talking to immediately recognized the problem, said there is a TSB about it, and I'm getting a new intercooler.

He said it's only *some* cars... but this is a pretty critical issue. I can think of many situations where this would lead to a serious accident! It's disheartening that Honda/Acura isn't issuing a recall, but I guess I'll just be happy with my good luck and new intercooler.

great, so basically they agreed to do TSB just by listening to your symptoms and not checking anything?

its BS, it impacts all cars that do not have updated
parts. What he meant is that most people do not experience it because driving conditions do not align to provoke it.
I never had it in two years, but does not mean it will not happen in future. And when it does happen, it could be a serious safety issue.
I am planning to do it, just hate them removing front bumper and breaking plastic clips and maybe scratching the bumper. You never know which technician you get … or maybe he has a bad day
leomio2.0 (10-15-2021)
Old 10-14-2021 | 08:37 AM
Racer

Glad the dealer recognized it as the tsb issue and is fixing it. I had the same issue with mine, I accelerated onto a highway passing a very slow driver in the slow lane. A truck was coming up in the middle lane (where I was) but there was more than ample space for me to get up to speed and around the slow driver. Imagine my horror when the car slowed down to 35 mph with the pedal to the metal! This was before the tsb was issued but once issued I brought the car back and they applied the fix. Thanks to this site and the list of tsbs!
Old 10-14-2021 | 04:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Jfkmk
Glad the dealer recognized it as the tsb issue and is fixing it. I had the same issue with mine, I accelerated onto a highway passing a very slow driver in the slow lane. A truck was coming up in the middle lane (where I was) but there was more than ample space for me to get up to speed and around the slow driver. Imagine my horror when the car slowed down to 35 mph with the pedal to the metal! This was before the tsb was issued but once issued I brought the car back and they applied the fix. Thanks to this site and the list of tsbs!
Same here but I had to fight tooth and nail to get my dealer to do the tsb. I finally had to print a copy, take it to them and railing at them that to me it’s a severe safety issue given the conditions when it strikes. Just glad it’s resolved for you, me and all others that had it fixed.
Old 10-16-2021 | 04:53 PM
Retired Geezer

My 2020 RDX engaged limp mode this afternoon. I was flooring it while merging on the 401 between some trucks and suddenly the gas pedal died. My car slowed to 35 mph and the check engine light was on. Thank goodness I have been following Acurazine and recognized what was wrong. The trucks behind me passed like I was standing still. I saw a hill about a quarter mile ahead and was uncertain if the car could power it’s way past the hill. I was white knuckling the steering wheel all the way till I could pull off after the hill. The max speed the car could do was 35 mph. Once stopped off the 401, I pressed the start/stop button with the car in park and turned the engine off. I opened the door, closed the door, restarted the engine and all was back to normal. PHEW. It was raining buckets when this happened and I had been driving for about 45 minutes. I’m into the dealership in 2 weeks to get my winter tires put on and will mention it then. No more full power merging till then.
Old 10-16-2021 | 06:11 PM
Drifting

I just DO NOT understand have this isn't a recall!
Old 10-16-2021 | 10:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I just DO NOT understand have this isn't a recall!
Because recalls cost money. For folks who drive like an 80 year old grandma and never even use more than a quarter throttle (e.g. my parents), they'd never actually come across this situation. I suspect a large number of drivers (especially crossover drivers) fall into that category. Acura probably figures that no one will be the wiser.

Keep in mind this is the same company that dragged their feet on the airbag recalls, on the R18 cracked block recall, on the Accord transmission recalls, on the CRV vibration recall, and on the 1.5T oil dilution issue. Honda/Acura does not have a strong track record of "doing the right thing" when it comes to after-sales support.
Ih8honda (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021 | 06:33 AM
Suzuka Master

They were probably able to get out of recall due to low numbers and perhaps nobody died yet
Ih8honda (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021 | 05:37 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

I was driving in the rain yesterday and I’d swear that the engine didn’t feel right - almost like it was gurgling, not firing right. It wasn’t very heavy rain and I wasn’t giving it the gas much. Anyone else experienced this either separate from this whole limp mode thing, or immediately prior to it?
Old 10-17-2021 | 08:46 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 4th Acura
My 2020 RDX engaged limp mode this afternoon. I was flooring it while merging on the 401 between some trucks and suddenly the gas pedal died. My car slowed to 35 mph and the check engine light was on. Thank goodness I have been following Acurazine and recognized what was wrong. The trucks behind me passed like I was standing still. I saw a hill about a quarter mile ahead and was uncertain if the car could power it’s way past the hill. I was white knuckling the steering wheel all the way till I could pull off after the hill. The max speed the car could do was 35 mph. Once stopped off the 401, I pressed the start/stop button with the car in park and turned the engine off. I opened the door, closed the door, restarted the engine and all was back to normal. PHEW. It was raining buckets when this happened and I had been driving for about 45 minutes. I’m into the dealership in 2 weeks to get my winter tires put on and will mention it then. No more full power merging till then.
‘Have the dealer do the tsb for the Intercooler. It’s a huge safety issue, more so in the rain.
Old 10-17-2021 | 08:48 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Waetherman
I was driving in the rain yesterday and I’d swear that the engine didn’t feel right - almost like it was gurgling, not firing right. It wasn’t very heavy rain and I wasn’t giving it the gas much. Anyone else experienced this either separate from this whole limp mode thing, or immediately prior to it?
‘if you’re a light footed driver you probably don’t need to worry about it.
Old 10-17-2021 | 09:02 PM
Instructor

In all seriousness-
since I have replace the spark plugs with a different type and dropped the gap I have never had this happen again to me in 30k miles
Old 10-19-2021 | 12:37 PM
Instructor

The SB kit was ( is) on National Back order……….add it to the very very short supply list. Part allocation is by VIN only.
Old 10-19-2021 | 12:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Showkey
The SB kit was ( is) on National Back order……….add it to the very very short supply list. Part allocation is by VIN only.
you mean TSB parts for intercooler? Earlier vins first?
Old 10-19-2021 | 01:27 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by russianDude
you mean TSB parts for intercooler? Earlier vins first?

Yes the inter cooler part for the TSB…….dealer must supply VIN to order the part. Dealers are not allowed to stock the part when the supply is short or BO. The part is allocated to a specific VIN. at the time it’s ordered. One part shipped for that VIN.

The last thing HONDA wants is dealer A having 5 parts in stock on the shelf and dealer B having 7 cars down waiting for that same part.

Last edited by Showkey; 10-19-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-19-2021 | 01:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes the inter cooler part for the TSB…….dealer must supply VIN to order the part. Dealers are not allowed to stock the part when the supply is short or BO. The part is allocated to a specific VIN. at the time it’s ordered. One part shipped for that VIN.

The last thing HONDA wants is dealer A having 5 parts in stock on the shelf and dealer B having 7 cars down waiting for that same part.

how long is the wait?
Old 10-20-2021 | 07:56 AM
Instructor

This is more or less what happened to me. I was driving in the country at the time and the idea of "what if this happened on the 401" has terrified me ever since. I'm glad your 401 story didn't end badly.

In case your dealership gives you trouble, Acura of North Toronto fixed it for me without a second thought when I described what had happened.

They also loaned me a TLX A-Spec for 4 days because they broke one of my headlight washers while taking the bumper off, so that was a nice added bonus
Old 10-20-2021 | 04:39 PM
Retired Geezer

This is more or less what happened to me. I was driving in the country at the time and the idea of "what if this happened on the 401" has terrified me ever since. I'm glad your 401 story didn't end badly.

In case your dealership gives you trouble, Acura of North Toronto fixed it for me without a second thought when I described what had happened.

They also loaned me a TLX A-Spec for 4 days because they broke one of my headlight washers while taking the bumper off, so that was a nice added bonus
I can’t imagine how dangerous this would have been on the express lanes of the 12 laner. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 10-29-2021 | 08:50 PM
Retired Geezer

Just to update any who are interested, my RDX is going in the shop November 19th. They will be replacing the inter cooler and performing the “moaning” rear hatch repair. When I mentioned my limp mode episode, the dealer seemed well acquainted with the problem. I was asked which warning lights came on. I only remember a yellow flashing check engine light. That answer sealed the deal.
JB in AZ (10-29-2021)
Old 10-30-2021 | 08:26 AM
6th Gear

20 RDX Limp Mode

I've experienced this issue, on a road trip. 500 miles from home, driving in HEAVY rain. Needed to take evasive action, gassed on it, vehicle went into limp mode. I was nearly hit. I got off the road. Shut the engine off. Called the nearest Acura dealer, to be told just leave the engine off for 5 min, restart it, you should be fine. It seemed OK, I finished my trip. Upon return to DFW, I called the dealer, to be told they could do nothing, as those events likely do not leave codes in the ECU. I filed a complaint with NTHSA and with Acura of America, who told me "if it happens again, call us and reference your case number" This is a real safety issue. Sadly, it will take injuries or death to force NTHSA to mandate Acura resolve and recall.
Old 10-30-2021 | 08:56 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 30yearhonda
I've experienced this issue, on a road trip. 500 miles from home, driving in HEAVY rain. Needed to take evasive action, gassed on it, vehicle went into limp mode. I was nearly hit. I got off the road. Shut the engine off. Called the nearest Acura dealer, to be told just leave the engine off for 5 min, restart it, you should be fine. It seemed OK, I finished my trip. Upon return to DFW, I called the dealer, to be told they could do nothing, as those events likely do not leave codes in the ECU. I filed a complaint with NTHSA and with Acura of America, who told me "if it happens again, call us and reference your case number" This is a real safety issue. Sadly, it will take injuries or death to force NTHSA to mandate Acura resolve and recall.
Sorry to hear that happening, I've read a few cases like yours on AZ. The whole "if it happens again" is quite the bs, it is definitely a risk. Have you tried contacting another dealer? A few peeps on here were able to get their intercooler changed after explaining the issue.
Old 10-30-2021 | 09:01 AM
Racer

…I filed a complaint with NTHSA and with Acura of America, who told me "if it happens again, call us and reference your case number" This is a real safety issue. Sadly, it will take injuries or death to force NTHSA to mandate Acura resolve and recall.
After the TSB was released, my dealer did the TSB on my 2019 a full 2 years after my limp mode experience. I was asked if it’s happened again, and I told them I’m afraid to drive the car on the highway in heavy rain, so I take it easy, and I that I had filed a complaint with the NHTSA. Just hound your dealer to get it done.
30yearhonda (10-30-2021)
Old 11-01-2021 | 09:40 AM
Instructor

Just to update any who are interested, my RDX is going in the shop November 19th. They will be replacing the inter cooler and performing the “moaning” rear hatch repair. When I mentioned my limp mode episode, the dealer seemed well acquainted with the problem. I was asked which warning lights came on. I only remember a yellow flashing check engine light. That answer sealed the deal.
Wow.. I thought the moaning rear hatch was just my imagination.

When I got my intercooler done, I was supposed to get a whole new pano roof, too. But that part is backordered with no ETA. Great. So a few more days in the shop when it arrives. Now I'll add the moaning hatch to the list. I couldn't have given it a better name...

I also told them my HUD rattles last time. They told me they test drove it and didn't hear it. Ummm ... did you go over any bumps??

They did replace the USB port for me, at least, and now CarPlay doesn't disconnect when someone touches the cable.

SOOO many issues with this car! It's such a long list that whenever I bring it in, I prioritize and save some for next time. Pretty sad. I'm so glad it's a lease and not my financial problem. I used to think I might buy this out, but now it's near 0% chance of that happening.
Old 11-01-2021 | 12:03 PM
Instructor

If the hatch noise was that slight………you had to read the forum posts to ID the noise? Is that bad ?

I had the inner cooler TSB done …….waited for the part……waiting for a lot of things these days that are NOT car related. Moved on its not a virus.

As far a financial probelm……the lease is a financial problem from day one. Buy the car off lease and likely make money back on the original financial problem.

Last edited by Showkey; 11-01-2021 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-01-2021 | 08:09 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DrWoo
After the TSB was released, my dealer did the TSB on my 2019 a full 2 years after my limp mode experience. I was asked if it’s happened again, and I told them I’m afraid to drive the car on the highway in heavy rain, so I take it easy, and I that I had filed a complaint with the NHTSA. Just hound your dealer to get it done.
Screw that. After I had the fix done, first real heavy rain I punched it to 110mph a few times. No more rain limp mode issues. Problem solved.
Old 11-01-2021 | 10:12 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by tecwerks
Screw that. After I had the fix done, first real heavy rain I punched it to 110mph a few times. No more rain limp mode issues. Problem solved.
My post wasn’t clear, I was relaying what I said to dealer in order to get the TSB done. “I was asked if it’s happened again, and I told them I’m afraid to drive the car on the highway in heavy rain, so I take it easy, and I that I had filed a complaint with the NHTSA.” It was after this that they agreed to do the TSB, which didn’t get released until 2 years after my limp mode experience.
Old 11-21-2021 | 09:11 AM
6th Gear

After speaking with the service manager and the senior technician. They agreed that the TSB did in fact. Apply here. My vehicle was serviced last weekend.
JB in AZ (11-21-2021)
Old 11-22-2021 | 07:56 AM
Suzuka Master

After speaking with the service manager and the senior technician. They agreed that the TSB did in fact. Apply here. My vehicle was serviced last weekend.
Great news! Where they acting suspicious? "they agreed" -- They are not doing you any favors, its their job.
The following 2 users liked this post by russianDude:
30yearhonda (10-10-2023), leomio2.0 (11-22-2021)
Old 11-22-2021 | 11:08 AM
Instructor

If the hatch noise was that slight………you had to read the forum posts to ID the noise? Is that bad ?

I had the inner cooler TSB done …….waited for the part……waiting for a lot of things these days that are NOT car related. Moved on its not a virus.

As far a financial probelm……the lease is a financial problem from day one. Buy the car off lease and likely make money back on the original financial problem.
No, I knew there was a noise, but it's a low frequency and almost sounds like a rubbing moaning sound.

Your second line makes so sense, just to be clear. It sounds like an flow of thoughts in an irrational brain. I didn't blame Acura for parts being backordered, just commented that I will get other stuff done at the same time. Not sure where you comment came from.

And finally, I said it's NOT my financial problem. A lease is not a financial problem at all. It makes it easier for me to expense the portion of the car that is used for business. It also allows me to walk away from the car at the end of 4 years if I choose to, which is a great financial benefit. If the car is in a moderate accident during the lease, it would depreciate significantly. If I owned it, I would swallow that depreciation. Since I do not own it, this would not be my loss.

I assume you're one of the frugal people who can pull out a calculator and tell me how much money I'm "wasting" because I don't buy my cars outright and keep them for as long as humanly possible. Well, if you're buying anything other than a 4 year old Toyota Corolla, someone else who is better at the same frugal logic as you would trash you in a competition of frugality. A new Acura? Are you crazy? They will kick you out of Camp Frugalcheap for that.