First Impressions: '22 A-Spec Advance

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2021, 01:03 PM
5th Gear

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
First Impressions: '22 A-Spec Advance

First time Acura owner here (if you don’t count the MDX I immediately returned to Vroom a couple years ago)! I picked up my RDX ASpec/Advance a couple weeks ago. Since I stalked this forum for people’s impressions prior to my purchase, I’m going to give mine in case it helps anyone!

Impressed with:

· Orchid Interior – I’m a huge white/ivory interior fan and this is SO striking. I absolutely love it. Well done.

· Comfort of seats – These are some of the most comfortable seats I’ve ever sat in. Kids and husband are impressed too with the comfort.

· Sport vs Comfort mode – definite difference in suspension, available throttle power, and steering responsiveness. In many cars I’ve driven, the differences aren’t so pronounced.

· Non-sport mode steering – I usually drive my cars in sport mode, since I prefer a tighter, more responsive steering feel. I find myself driving more often in Normal/Comfort mode since the steering is acceptable to me! It doesn’t feel floaty or too soft, and great for everyday driving. I save the sport mode for curvy roads or when I’m feeling sporty 😉

· Additional sound deadening – I only test drove a 2020 ASpec, but I can tell a difference from it for sure. I wouldn’t have purchased it if it wasn’t an improvement. I’m picky about noise.

· Remote Start – Used it one day when it was cold out. It automatically turned heat up and seat warmers, even though I didn’t have that on when I exited the car. Prior cars I’ve had with remote start feature would just put on whatever setting you had last (but never the seats). I look forward to see if it also puts seat ventilation on when it’s hot out.

Happy about these things that critics complain about:

· The split screen – seriously I was so worried about this with all the complaints online, but I actually PREFER this over my 2019 BMW 330i. I use apple carplay every day, and I love that I can have Waze on the left part of screen, while having EITHER my carplay music or SiriusXM (or other audio source) show the music I’m listening to. I hate the inherent apple car play split screen, as it doesn’t show other audio sources other than those used within ACP (at least it didn’t in my BMW).

· The touchpad – I wasn’t worried about this at all. It took all of 5 mintues to get used to – even with the difference in usage from standard to carplay. I NEVER touch my BMW touchscreen – I only use the wheel. Why? Because I can’t stand fingerprints. I swat at any hand that tries to touch it. Any car that has only a touchscreen and no other way to operate it (pad/wheel/knob) is a total bummer for me. Fingerprints are unacceptable, so it’s no bother to me that the RDX is not a touchscreen!

Not impressed with:

· The ELS Audio– I know! Everyone loves this and thinks it’s so amazing! I can’t get the damn thing to sound good to me. I had no problem in my 330i adjusting the audio to my liking. I’ve tried everything and I just can’t get it to my satisfaction. Different audio sources, different kinds of music, adjust bass/mid/treble (ahem, where is the equalizer?), the roof and center speakers, fade, the surround, etc.. I know audio adjustment is so subjective to everyone, but I’d appreciate any suggestions at all on what worked for you.

· Apex Blue Pearl – I LOVE blue cars, it’s my go-to. The color looks amazing in sunlight, and even pretty good in florescent lights. But on a cloudy day, it seems so one-dimensional (at least it’s bright). Had I been able to get Orchid interior in another exterior color (other than the PMC), I would have. My favorite blue color is still Portimao Blue 😊

· The wheels – Not a huge fan, but don’t care enough to change them.

· The center dash area – I think that giant mode knob is wasted space, and a smaller dial or a toggle switch or something could have been used, but whatever.

· Acura dealers and their “accessory” packages. It was a hassle to get them to not to put on their overpriced BS paint protection, not add roof rails, etc.

· Screensaver/Wallpaper –lack thereof. Maybe I’m just missing it? I can’t seem to find anywhere to customize the background or even just put a stock screensaver picture up. I don’t want the screen off, but I don’t always want to look at what is on there.
The following 4 users liked this post by ReeTastic:
anoop (12-28-2021), GW208 (12-28-2021), Newport, Ohio (12-28-2021), tecwerks (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 02:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
Where's the pics to go with the review?
The following users liked this post:
Newport, Ohio (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 03:06 PM
Blue is the new Black

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Excellent review @ReeTastic

I completely agree with most of your points. I, too, am a first time Acura owner (2022 A-Spec Advance as well), and my biggest concern was with the touch pad/lack of a touchscreen. It is/was easy to figure out, now I just have to get used to the touch button transmission versus having the standard shifter. Regarding the wheels, I have to give kudos to @salgiaco with the MGP caliper covers as they make the wheels so much better. Thread Link
Old 12-28-2021, 05:20 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by anoop
Where's the pics to go with the review?
I haven’t taken any yet. Want to get front windows tinted and get my paint sealant on! But here it is chillin in the garage.

The following 5 users liked this post by ReeTastic:
anoop (12-28-2021), Madd Dog (12-28-2021), oblio98 (12-28-2021), R3amir (12-28-2021), tecwerks (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 10:32 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
blue!!
ReeTastic (12-29-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 10:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
Nice, and you got it before the prep people drilled holes in the front bumper for the license plate bracket! Score!
Newport, Ohio (12-29-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 10:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Nice, and you got it before the prep people drilled holes in the front bumper for the license plate bracket! Score!
That's how all my cars have been delivered, including my current car. But I'm in CA, so once the plates arrive, they drill the holes at that time if you ask. Many people don't put the front plate and hope they won't get pulled over.
Texasrdx21 (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 11:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
That's how all my cars have been delivered, including my current car. But I'm in CA, so once the plates arrive, they drill the holes at that time if you ask. Many people don't put the front plate and hope they won't get pulled over.
Hate front plates, but it’s the law in Texas.

In Texas most of the dealer put the front license plate holder on with a paper plate with their dealership info. Glad I got mine right off the truck, as they would of dreamer the holes in dealer prep.
Old 12-29-2021, 08:24 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
No front plates in TN! The BMW suffered the front hole fate, however, since I got it out of state. I hate those holes!
anoop (12-29-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 01:21 PM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
OP, it's always tough to compare the soundstage of a sedan vs SUV interior.
Old 12-29-2021, 01:40 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ELIN
OP, it's always tough to compare the soundstage of a sedan vs SUV interior.
I was thinking that might be it! Perhaps my expectations are too high. I have it now where it's pretty good on *most* music, and not too cringe on others.