Feedback from owners

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018 | 09:47 PM
Instructor

Question Feedback from owners

hi, a few random questions after a second test drive:

(1) Are there any major issues that would make somebody want to wait until fixed to purchase. I did not see any and that seems like a good sign. Considering the advanced AWD before winter.

(2)I do 90% of my driving on the highway on long drives. Does this vehicle make sense (mileage and ride or no V6 or any other reason ) or not really for somebody who does mostly long highway drives. If yes, any suggestions for what to test drive.

(3)Anybody who went from a “V6 sedan for decades” to “first SUV” how long does it take to get used to sitting higher. I would be looking at Sedans if top of the line Acura had carplay and was more refined.

(4)bear with me on this one, do the raised bumps on the hood have any purpose or is it just for “looks”. They seem distracting to see when driving if no benefit. I realize people may find this one silly but maybe somebody else may have felt the same way or had the same question.

(5)I went on two test drives and on the first one the breaks noticeably felt like you had to press harder than I would have expected. The second one I did not notice this at all. Is this a new car thing or this model thing or maybe just the first car tested. The only difference was the first one was the Advanced with larger rims. The second one was the tech as the dealer did not have the advanced.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 07-05-2018 | 10:04 PM
Registered TL Owner

1) I haven't noticed any major issues. Had a few random electronic quirks when the car was new, but they all seem to have worked themselves out by now. Have a little over 1,100 miles on the RDX and the only thing that bothers me is a rattle coming from the front passenger door when the stereo is turned up and certain bass frequencies hit.

2) RDX is really comfortable for long freeway drives, but gas mileage isn't so great. At least not for me. Took the RDX on a 100 mile trip to San Francisco and averaged about 20 MPG going about 70-75 the entire drive with no traffic. With my TLX I'd average high 20's on the same trip with the same conditions.

3) As you see in my sig, my 1st car was a TL and then I had a slightly lowered V6 TLX- it probably took me a week or two to really start feeling 100% comfortable with driving an SUV daily, but not a tough change to get used to. I'm loving having a taller vehicle now. But I also learned to drive in many different types of cars: TL, G35 coupe, Xterra, Avalanche so driving an SUV is nothing new to me.

4) I'm almost positive they are just for looks, but they don't bother me

5) First time I drove the RDX I noticed the same with the brakes and I think a couple others have mentioned it here on AZ. It was a little concerning to me as other Acura/Honda products including the MDX do not have that type of brake pedal feel- it reminded me of driving a Toyota Camry or 4Runner, however after 3 weeks with the RDX I've come to like the brake pedal feel. It's smooth and has stopping power if needed
Old 07-05-2018 | 10:10 PM
Pro

(1) There are no issues that I want to see fixed.

(2) The highway mileage is better than around town/suburbs. Comfortable seats make it a nice cruiser.

(3) This is my first SUV/Crossover. I previously had mostly V6 sedans (2016 TLX, 2008 Accord, 2001.5 Passat (Turbo 4), 1997 Accord). I liked the higher seating position right away and got used to it very quickly.

(4) The raised bumps on the hood are just styling. The new TLX has them as well. They took a little while to get used to. I also thought a bit weird on both TLX and RDX test drives. I don't notice them anymore.

(5) I didn't notice anything unusual about the brakes except that, when you press the pedal to start the engine, the pedal drops a bit. The Advance and Tech both have 19 X 8 rims. Different design but, same size.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with the move from sedans to SUV or from V6 to Turbo 4.
Old 07-05-2018 | 10:46 PM
Pro

1. No major issues I see - there are threads about random issues with the infotainment, and a noisy tail gate. That’s anout it so far.
2. Just got mine so don’t know highway average yet. I drive mostly highway though so I’ll keep an eye on it.
3. I’ve driven my wife’s crv plenty so used to height but coming from a sedan I have no concerns. You feel well grounded and stable in this ride. It handles like a charm!
4. Cosmetic. I like it. Adds to the sporty feel and I don’t feel like I’m driving a minivan or CUV (chick Utikiry vehicle).
5. Brakes feel fine. It’s heavier than my car obviously but after a day I’ve adjusted already. It’s stopscjust fine.

Old 07-06-2018 | 06:47 AM
Suzuka Master

(1) Are there any major issues that would make somebody want to wait until fixed to purchase. I did not see any and that seems like a good sign. Considering the advanced AWD before winter. No major issues

(2)I do 90% of my driving on the highway on long drives. Does this vehicle make sense (mileage and ride or no V6 or any other reason ) or not really for somebody who does mostly long highway drives. If yes, any suggestions for what to test drive.
I've bad mine 2 weeks and have taken it on a long-ish road trip, was great to drive, very comfortable seats, etc. It's not a high mileage vehicle, I averaged about 24MPG

(3)Anybody who went from a “V6 sedan for decades” to “first SUV” how long does it take to get used to sitting higher. I would be looking at Sedans if top of the line Acura had carplay and was more refined. I went from a sedan to an SUV too, very easy transition. I will most likely never go back.

(4)bear with me on this one, do the raised bumps on the hood have any purpose or is it just for “looks”. They seem distracting to see when driving if no benefit. I realize people may find this one silly but maybe somebody else may have felt the same way or had the same question. Like anything, those "bumps" won't be noticeable after a few days

(5)I went on two test drives and on the first one the breaks noticeably felt like you had to press harder than I would have expected. The second one I did not notice this at all. Is this a new car thing or this model thing or maybe just the first car tested. The only difference was the first one was the Advanced with larger rims. The second one was the tech as the dealer did not have the advanced. The brakes work great on mine.
Old 07-06-2018 | 11:07 PM
Intermediate

—This is unfortunately not a high MPG car. I suspect that all those storage cubbies designed into the load floor will contain hybrid components soon.
—Hood shapes are decorative, but also probably there for stability of the panel, makes it more rigid.
—I have a 16 RDX and the brakes are very grabby. The new 19 definitely takes more effort, but I find that it gives nice, controlled slow downs and stops. Huge improvement over the old one.
—One minor issue—no good place to put your phone other than in the console. Carplay still doesn't have Waze (coming this fall) so I need to have my phone out when using Waze. Acura navigation is mediocre in comparison.
—At almost 1000 miles, I love it! Have had a 2005 and 2014 MDX, a 16 RDX and now this. The previous RDX was a huge disappointment, this one is sweet.
Old 07-07-2018 | 11:44 AM
WayTooManyAcuras

1 - No issues that I can think of
2 - I've only bought gas once (obviously the car came filled) but it appears I'm only getting around 20MPG whereas my 17 RDX got around 25. However, I expect the gas mileage to increase as the car gets broken in.
3 - I came from a 17 RDX so the height is fine. I like being up a bit. When I get in my wife's 2005 RL I feel like I am on the ground!
4 - The bumps get your attention at first as being odd, but now I like them. Can't say why but they give the driver orientation points.
5 - I never noticed the brakes so they must be fine. I have no recollection of how they feel, so they probably feel just like my 17 RDX's brakes.
Old 07-08-2018 | 10:42 AM
Racer

"Took the RDX on a 100 mile trip to San Francisco and averaged about 20 MPG going about 70-75 the entire drive with no traffic. "

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________

With high test gas, this is going to be a hit to the family budget ! I had better highway mileage with a v8 4AT Explorer. I can easily get 30mpg highway with my '17 RDX on regular gas.
Old 07-08-2018 | 11:58 AM
Racer

I had a ‘13 Fusion 2.0L turbo 4. You had to learn how to “feather” the pedal to get decent mileage. You could back off on the throttle and still maintain speed. Cruise control gave the absolute worst mileage. The RDX is about 300lbs heavier but has way more gears so maybe this approach will work. The moral is it’s hard to combine fun and good MPG with a turbo.
Old 07-08-2018 | 07:40 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile 400 plus miles

After just over 400 miles in town only our mileage, by doing the math, not relying on the RDX's computer, has been just a hair over 20 mpg.

My A-Spec definitely has a more stiff ride than my previous (3) Gen. 2 RDX's. But, it sure handles much better too. Give...to get..I guess. I know...'could have had an Advance! LOL! But, to me, the A-Spec looks better
and the red interior is MUCH better looking. We are getting raves from people who sit in it.

I'm totally impressed with the engine and trans...how smooth they work together....NO turbo lag....and it's damn quick off the line. The 10 speed trans is geared very low in 1st and 2nd, and much higher in 9th and 10th.
Quick acceleration....but,when cruising in top gears, decent fuel mileage. But, as I've written before....this RDX will not get the highway mileage that my Gen. 2's got, and thus, won't be getting better overall mileage.
It's just the nature of the beast....turbo with this HP, and the turbo comes on at 1600 rpm's. IF it had 40-50 less HP, then the mileage would be much better, BUT, the thing would be dang slow!!
This is why I still want to know why Acura dropped the 3.5 V6? A great engine, with power and fuel mileage.

Seats are much more comfortable and with more adjustments...for BOTH front seats. Nice touch. Panoramic roof should be an option. IMHO. A sun roof is good, but, that extra cost for the "new roof" not needed.
To reset the A and B trip mileage monitors when refueling...takes way too many "steps" or movements of the controls vs. the Gen 2's. Or for any other vehicle I've owned for that matter.

Someone talked about brake feel on one of the threads. It does take more foot pressure to get them "going" but, once used to it, they are smooth, not grabby, and will stop when pushed harder! Used to them now, compared
to the Gen 2's.

I can drive in "D" and it drives great around town...IF you need to accelerate quickly, it will drop the needed # of gears and it will go, no hesitation. So, putting it in "S" trans. mode is really not necessary and you'll get better
mileage....IF you don't have your foot in it all the time. And, it's hard not to with this new RDX. It is more fun to drive than my Gen 2's. Not that I didn't like them, I did...a lot. This '19 is just an entirely different animal.

So much is different. The tech changes take some time to get used to. Often, more steps involved than previous generations. The new updated ELS audio system is the best yet in an Acura. The previous ELS systems
were pretty good, esp. the '13 and '14's when it had true surround sound. But, this new 16 speaker, 16 channel, 710 watt system is very good!

Except for the ride of my A-Spec, I don't really have any real complaints. Oh, forgot to mention...I'm not running the 20's...went to 255/50/19's. Yes, exact same diameter....but, the ride is still a little stiff compared to the Gen
2's....and yes, I know, the Comfort mode on the Advance! LOL! Kinda wish Acura would have put that same system on the A-Spec. I was hoping that going with a 50 series sidewall...instead of the 45's, and changing
to Michelins, it might ride a little better than the stock 20's. Not really. But, a big reason I changed was because I don't like dark wheels. I put on the Opt. TLX 19's, Black Diamond Cut wheels. The dealer liked it a lot.
But, I do have much better tires than those well known...terrible Goodyear ASA's! My Mich. Premiere LTX's will last much longer and overall are just a better tire.
Old 07-08-2018 | 08:33 PM
Registered TL Owner

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.

...To reset the A and B trip mileage monitors when refueling...takes way too many "steps" or movements of the controls vs. the Gen 2's. Or for any other vehicle I've owned for that matter...
FYI you can set the car to reset trip A/B automatically after fill-up. I believe it's in the vehicle settings.
The following users liked this post:
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (07-08-2018)
Old 07-08-2018 | 08:54 PM
Racer

According to the manual: To reset the trip meter, display it, press and hold the right selector wheel. This doesn’t seem too difficult.
Old 07-08-2018 | 09:35 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pnoi521
FYI you can set the car to reset trip A/B automatically after fill-up. I believe it's in the vehicle settings.
Thank you for the info. I faintly remember running across that, now that you've mentioned it.

And for Fury 63 I hope your answer was not "intended sarcasm".....or we better change the name of this web site to
"Sarcastic Acurazine."

If I took it wrong...I do apologize. If I didn't, then we all know how easy it is to hide behind the key boards and say whatever. I hope that wasn't the case. Most are here for info and helping out other's.
I'm sure that's why you are here....correct?
Old 07-08-2018 | 09:44 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Hey...I've got the same RDX. Have you found that people really like how cool the red interior is on the A-Spec? Ours is my wife's daily driver. When she shows it off, everyone loves the interior and the design, and leather, etc.

I so far have the only one sold by my dealer which is the #1 Acura dealer in the Denver Region. They only ordered 1 and I claimed it early. Don't know why they didn't order more of those. They have had them with
black interiors....and other exterior colors with the red interior. The Apex Blue Pearl, A-Spec only color, with the red interior seems kinda popular. They sold their first one very quickly after it arrived.

Hope you like yours....overall. I've had (3) Gen 2's and we liked them a lot, but, this '19 is no Gen 2!!! It's been great so far.
Old 07-08-2018 | 09:50 PM
Racer

Thank you for the info. I faintly remember running across that, now that you've mentioned it.

And for Fury 63 I hope your answer was not "intended sarcasm".....or we better change the name of this web site to
"Sarcastic Acurazine."

If I took it wrong...I do apologize. If I didn't, then we all know how easy it is to hide behind the key boards and say whatever. I hope that wasn't the case. Most are here for info and helping out other's.
I'm sure that's why you are here....correct?
Not intended but after I posted I saw it didn’t look right - but there is no edit function in this forum. So anyway I hope it helps.
Old 07-08-2018 | 10:56 PM
Registered TL Owner

Hey...I've got the same RDX. Have you found that people really like how cool the red interior is on the A-Spec? Ours is my wife's daily driver. When she shows it off, everyone loves the interior and the design, and leather, etc.

I so far have the only one sold by my dealer which is the #1 Acura dealer in the Denver Region. They only ordered 1 and I claimed it early. Don't know why they didn't order more of those. They have had them with
black interiors....and other exterior colors with the red interior. The Apex Blue Pearl, A-Spec only color, with the red interior seems kinda popular. They sold their first one very quickly after it arrived.

Hope you like yours....overall. I've had (3) Gen 2's and we liked them a lot, but, this '19 is no Gen 2!!! It's been great so far.
Yes! Everyone that has seen the interior loves it. The red interior is the main reason why I had to have the A-Spec instead of the Advance. My dealership has had a few white/red A-Specs and have sold them fairly quickly; they had to hide the keys when I was looking at the car because people kept wanting to take it for a test drive. Actually, all of their A-Specs seem to sell within a week, however the dealership across town has had a black/red A-Spec that has been sitting for over 3 weeks- not sure what's going on with them.
Old 07-08-2018 | 11:11 PM
MTD
Racer

1. The 2.0T and 10at have been out in other Honda vehicles for quite some time now and I haven't read of any issues. The SHAWD is also pretty much faultless. Might possibly be some QC or electronic issues down the road, but every new Honda/Acura product I have owned has been pretty solid.
2. Havent taken mine out on the highway yet, but its very comfortable, quiet, smooth etc.LKAS, radar cruise, low speed follow, etc should also make it a safe drive too. Fuel mileage seems decent for the highway.
3. I still have my 18 TLX A-Spec and I had an MDX and I find the RDX drives more like a car then an SUV. Its quick and it handles great. It feels like a slightly taller TLX lol.
4. Bumps on the hood don't bother me. My TLX has them and I find they can help position to corners easier.
5. Brakes feel great to me. I could see a test drive being different simply based on tire/wheel size, PSI or even how many miles it has on it.
Old 07-09-2018 | 01:27 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Yes! Everyone that has seen the interior loves it. The red interior is the main reason why I had to have the A-Spec instead of the Advance. My dealership has had a few white/red A-Specs and have sold them fairly quickly; they had to hide the keys when I was looking at the car because people kept wanting to take it for a test drive. Actually, all of their A-Specs seem to sell within a week, however the dealership across town has had a black/red A-Spec that has been sitting for over 3 weeks- not sure what's going on with them.
My dealer is great to me, and they know me well, plus they understand "the basics." But, I still reminded them...when mine comes in..."put a SOLD sign on it, lock up the keys....no touchers, feelers...etc. LOL! But, they knew
that. I just checked last night, and they have 32 2019 RDX's in stock....they just keep coming in, and they keep selling! They now have 2 white/red A-specs...along with some other colors....with red interiors being very popular.

Could be that dealer just won't budge off of the MSRP? Who knows. Black is a popular color, but, not all dealers are the same, or the management. When my GM took over a few yrs ago, his dealership was at the bottom in
the district. Now, it's #1 every year...outselling the other's combined! They now get a large allocation of RDX's over other dealers....due to their success and because they put over $5M in to a facility upgrade. What an
upgrade! Very fancy and enjoyable place to be in.

I haven't had mine on any kind of "trip"....all local city type driving. But, it's been good! Drives like a sports car....like my TLX A-Spec...almost...LOL!!
Old 07-09-2018 | 01:34 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Smile

Originally Posted by Fury63

Not intended but after I posted I saw it didn’t look right - but there is no edit function in this forum. So anyway I hope it helps.
Thank you for that! Good to know. Yes, you can "Edit" your writing IF you catch it within a few minutes. I've done it many times. It's on the lower right after you post. Hit the Edit....do what you have to then apply it.
Looking forward to any and all of your thoughts and contributions. I try hard...not perfect, but, have owned many Acuras and Hondas, plus many other vehicles. Some think I have an ego problem, etc, and have been
trashed here, but also thanked and appreciated for my posts. Never ego...just passing along experience. If I'm wrong, I'll own up to it. But, there are certain "jerks" on here....and they KNOW who they are...since they
hide behind the key board and spout off with stupid unsubstantiated comments...just to be bullies. Too bad they weren't raised well. LOL!!

Best wishes to you in Minnesota land. I used to have to go there in Jan. of each year for meetings...normally over a week each time, in the Twin Cities area. Did get to go in the
Summer one year....beautiful state.....love the lakes....and of course had to go to the MOA!

Last edited by Colorado Guy AF Ret.; 07-09-2018 at 01:36 PM.
Old 07-09-2018 | 01:37 PM
Racer

I post primarily from an iPhone on the mobile site version and I’ve never noticed that. I’ll have to look closer.
edit: and there it is. Thanks
Colorado Guy AF Ret. (07-09-2018)
Old 07-10-2018 | 02:21 PM
Instructor

Wasn't sure where to put this, so figured i'd just do it here (as opposed to making a new thread). I was talking to a friend and he said that its always better for the car to put on your parking break before putting the car into park. This is something I typically never did before. Is this true? definitely happy to start doing it if it prevents any sort of vehicle damage!
Old 07-10-2018 | 02:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SK1124
Wasn't sure where to put this, so figured i'd just do it here (as opposed to making a new thread). I was talking to a friend and he said that its always better for the car to put on your parking break before putting the car into park. This is something I typically never did before. Is this true? definitely happy to start doing it if it prevents any sort of vehicle damage!
i would agree if you park on an incline. If you are on an incline and release the foot brake after in park the vehicle will move slightly. Engaging the parking brake before you lift your foot from the brake pedal is recommended. If you don’t you may notice a rough shift out of Park. You notice this more with mechanical shift levers as it takes some force to move out of Park afterwards.
SK1124 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018 | 03:32 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fury63

i would agree if you park on an incline. If you are on an incline and release the foot brake after in park the vehicle will move slightly. Engaging the parking brake before you lift your foot from the brake pedal is recommended. If you don’t you may notice a rough shift out of Park. You notice this more with mechanical shift levers as it takes some force to move out of Park afterwards.
And when departing on a hill it's the reverse order...start the car, take the gear out of park and into gear, then release the brake.
Old 07-10-2018 | 04:19 PM
Drifting

The weight of the car should always be on the parking brake, not the automatic transmission’s park pawl.
Old 07-10-2018 | 10:31 PM
Pro

My biggest gripe after a week of ownership is the oversized cup holders that can’t hold even a mid sized water bottle straight up! There should be self adjusting flaps in them like every other cup holder ever made since 1987. I usually take 2 large bottles of water with me every day since I’m in my car for sometimes 6-8 hours of my day so it’s annoying that they just fall all over into themselves. That’s a stupid miss by the engineers.
Old 07-11-2018 | 08:22 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12
My biggest gripe after a week of ownership is the oversized cup holders that can’t hold even a mid sized water bottle straight up! There should be self adjusting flaps in them like every other cup holder ever made since 1987. I usually take 2 large bottles of water with me every day since I’m in my car for sometimes 6-8 hours of my day so it’s annoying that they just fall all over into themselves. That’s a stupid miss by the engineers.
That is a definite miss based on how you've described it. However, it's a miss that seems fairly fixable. I suppose you can be creative and get some sort of insert for the cup holder that would tighten it up? Can't put my finger on what exactly you can use atm...lol
Old 07-11-2018 | 08:28 AM
Drifting

That is a definite miss based on how you've described it. However, it's a miss that seems fairly fixable. I suppose you can be creative and get some sort of insert for the cup holder that would tighten it up? Can't put my finger on what exactly you can use atm...lol

One of those 99¢ foam beer can holders? https://www.superkoldie.com/

But yeah, that is a miss.
Old 07-11-2018 | 09:26 AM
MTD
Racer

Use the bottle holders in the doors. My TLX and MDX have the spring clips and they still dont fit every container perfectly.
Old 07-11-2018 | 12:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12
My biggest gripe after a week of ownership is the oversized cup holders that can’t hold even a mid sized water bottle straight up! There should be self adjusting flaps in them like every other cup holder ever made since 1987....

Apparently it's an issue with more than the RDX - but nothing that's unsolvable.

The following 3 users liked this post by MI-RDX:
acuraada (07-12-2018), MTD (07-11-2018), Stew4HD (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018 | 01:30 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by MI-RDX
Apparently it's an issue with more than the RDX - but nothing that's unsolvable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxEdQUoWhJs
thats gold Jerry!!!!! GOLD!!!
MTD (07-11-2018)
Old 07-11-2018 | 10:18 PM
Instructor

You just voided your warranty. Just kidding.
Old 07-12-2018 | 05:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MI-RDX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxEdQUoWhJs
A good idea.
I prefer using larger, reusable cup that is appropriately sized for the car. Yes, it would be nice if a universal cup hold fit everything from tall skinny water bottles to the 64 oz Big Gulp, but they don’t. Ditch the throw away bottles and just get a reusable cup or mug that does that job. Yes, it is a little more work, but if nothing else you don’t have those crinkly crunchy water bottles in your car anymore
romer (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018 | 06:45 PM
Burning Brakes

how you even found the video is beyond me, very nice find.