Fathom Blue Pearl - who here is a fan or not…

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Fathom Blue Pearl - who here is a fan or not…

I’ve done a bunch of on line searching to get a feel for this color but it’s very difficult to photograph. There is a car about an hour away and I’m not sure if I want to make the trek to see it (it’s FBP with the grey interior). It checks all of the boxes for me but I’m unsure about the color. I’m not usually a fan of dark colors, but blue is one exception, as long as it’s not too dark. From the dealer pics my wife really likes it (this, however, was taken in relatively bright light) but it photographs so differently depending on the lighting.

For those who have it - just how dark is it? Does it look black unless you have bright lighting (that would be too dark for me)? Also, I imagine it’s a PITA to keep clean? Anyone really love it or sorry they got it?

Last edited by Otherbmw; 08-16-2023 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2023, 05:50 PM
mvl
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 153 Posts
It's a common color, try searching acuracertified.com and filter on blue. Probably half of what you find will be fathom blue and there may be a closer model you can at least look at the color in person. Even if not an RDX you can still get a sense of the color.

You can probably search 3rd party used car websites too to find one close to you at other brand dealers or independent used car lots to find a nearby one.

Two of my current cars are brighter blue, and a prior lexus was a dark blue and very close to fathom blue. No real concerns in my experience, it shows scratches similar to darker greys, road dirt is often dark and hidden a bit like other dark colors, nothing particularly worse in my experience with dark blue.

Last edited by mvl; 08-16-2023 at 05:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Otherbmw (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 06:36 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
I thought the Fathom Blue Pearl was a beautiful color in person. I had a dark blue car before that also looked good, but the Fathom Blue is gorgeous. When I bought mine it was between that or the gray I ended up going with as they both came in the same day.
Otherbmw (08-16-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 04:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Fathom blue pearl is the new name for Royal Blue Pearl I believe, or at the very least is very close to it. My 1G RDX was Royal Blue Pearl, at least with respect to the 1G RDX that is an extremely rare color, I've only ever seen it 3 or 4 times on the road in all these years. With that being said, I also don't think I have ever seen a 3G RDX in Fathom blue Pearl, not sure if it's demographics or what but even on the used market it is extremely rare here.

From my own 1G in RBP, I absolutely loved it when it was clean, but man did it show every single spec of dust, dirt, water...etc. It became a full time job keeping it clean, so much so that I've sworn off of it (and black) for life. In the sun it really pops and at night it's almost black. Beautiful color but again you will have to stay on top of it.
Old 08-17-2023, 07:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Otherbmw
I’ve done a bunch of on line searching to get a feel for this color but it’s very difficult to photograph. There is a car about an hour away and I’m not sure if I want to make the trek to see it (it’s FBP with the grey interior). It checks all of the boxes for me but I’m unsure about the color. I’m not usually a fan of dark colors, but blue is one exception, as long as it’s not too dark. From the dealer pics my wife really likes it (this, however, was taken in relatively bright light) but it photographs so differently depending on the lighting.

For those who have it - just how dark is it? Does it look black unless you have bright lighting (that would be too dark for me)? Also, I imagine it’s a PITA to keep clean? Anyone really love it or sorry they got it?
Everyone has their likes and dislikes. I personally prefer that blue to the one that comes in the RDX Aspec (Spec Pearl Blue) which looks a bit blue/purple and very bright. The Blue in the Non-Aspec is a darker blue - to me looks great. Why not take a 1 hour drive to see it - worst thing happens - you cross that color off after seeing it in person.
Old 08-17-2023, 05:59 PM
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts
I love that blue, but not a fan of the gray leather interior. Just saw one on the highway today and it looked great 😊
Old 08-18-2023, 09:24 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,193 Posts
Fathom Blue Pearl isn't a very common color compared to the standard white, black, gray, or silver you see mostly on the road. Acura doesn't give you any choices for interior colors like with other exterior colors. It can have some of the downsides of swirl/spider marks like black and charcoal gray exterior colors if you don't use microfiber everything to wash & dry (PPF/ceramic coating help with that for all colors). The Graystone interior can stain and discolor a bit depending on wear/tear from normal use, blue jeans dye, sun tan spray on legs wearing shorts, etc... Knowing all those downsides, I still would pick my Fathom Blue Pearl MDX over other color choices every time. Love the contrast of Graystone and black accents for the interior to make the cabin feel more open and airy. You can change the Fathom Blue Pearl RDX looks blacking out the chrome accents (very close to the Aspec look w/ FBP).
RDX10 (08-25-2023)