At the end of my rope with my RDX

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Interesting turn of events, although I don’t think it means much. When I called yesterday and they told me they didn’t find anything but want to put a good amount of miles on it before picking it up. Service advisor told me would be calling soon. Well it is now 3pm the next day and I could tell from AcuraLink, the car hadn’t moved. Called and spoke to service advisor who informed that they did not put anymore miles on it and they do not feel comfortable releasing the car to me and that they have a call into Acura. He said that even though no codes came up, they want to check everything possible before putting me back on the road. So it appears that they listened to me yesterday when I mentioned the complaints about this problem because he said for that reason, based on being sporadic, they want to keep looking.

so I guess I have a good dealer. What’s kinda funny about this whole thing is after I purchased this, I had a little regret and wished I would of went for awd, maybe tech package so I was thinking about upgrading. Spoke to the GM today about another issue and told him what was going on. He says, you wanna get out of that car, I will make it happen. Will be interesting to see what he comes back with but if they do not figure this out, doesn’t make sense to hop to another RDX
Old 05-28-2020, 04:07 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Though I've read a few examples of this problem, I have not read anything that leads me to believe this happens to specific configurations (i.e. FWD or AWD, Base, Tech or Advance). As this seems to be an engine or software problem, I wouldn't expect that to be the case anyway. So no, getting into a different RDX (for extra money) wouldn't necessarily solve the problem. That said, I also don't think this is happening to a lot of people so maybe if it's a 1/1000 or 1/10000 problem, a change of car would help.

To me this sounds like an issue of fuel; either the fuel pump itself is having some issue (not able to give the volume of fuel needed on "gunning it") or the software is starving the fuel pump. Again, I'm not a mechanic and have never worked on anything as complicated as something like the RDX with all its computer controlled, fly-by-wire systems, but that's just what my gut says.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:23 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Jackson%, please keep us posted. I got my RDX back, no issue found. They did document my concern exactly how I described it, so if it happens again it will be well documented.

waetherman, you’re right. Sounds like jackson5 has the base fwd. I have the tech with the AWD. Makes no difference.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:47 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts
Dealers always want you out of your current car and in to a new one.

Keep a trusted wingman with you, and don’t agree to any deal on the spot.
The following users liked this post:
acuraada (05-29-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 04:57 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Jfkmk
waetherman, you’re right. Sounds like jackson5 has the base fwd. I have the tech with the AWD. Makes no difference.
And, this has been reported in the MDX too. Not just an RDX issue.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Dealers always want you out of your current car and in to a new one.

Keep a trusted wingman with you, and don’t agree to any deal on the spot.
Agree. Just wondering why they seem to be going a little beyond. Could be that I made a complaint with Acura customer relations regarding roadside assistance and they did say they would be keeping in touch with the dealer.

if I got another RDX, it would be because I should of bought it to begin with but I also don’t want to get screwed either.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:59 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Well FWIW I think Tech is the sweet spot. So do a few reviewers. People on this forum seem to favor the A-Spec but I don't see the value in that.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:03 PM
Advanced

I think you are right. Tech has exactly what I want but I have to say for the fwd base, it has a lot and being recently separated, was trying to save some money. A couple pluses. Acura has 3k loyalty and 0.9 which I already have but still
Old 05-29-2020, 06:54 AM
Be the Best Be Great

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Jfkmk
I like my RDX, and I don’t mean to hi jack the thread. But speaking of infotainment.....why does Acura make it so difficult to use the infotainment and other things like GPS? `There is a definite learning curve to do simple tasks like changing radio sources or setting a destination for the GPS. Also, speaking of infotainment....I have a lot of music on a mini-thumb drive. The thumb drive worked perfectly in my lowly Hyundai and also works perfectly in my F-150. Not in the RDX! I have to unplug it and replug it in every time I want to use it.

My mom just bought an Outback. I’m not a Subaru fan, but the infotainment screen is larger than my iPad Pro, is touch screen and completely intuitive. Her Outback also has more technology than my RDX with the Technology package.
I have found the the infotainment center is easy to use -eventually. Yes, there is a learning curve but it depends what one may have been used to. For setting a destination, for instance, I use the talk button process. Once one uses this procedure, it becomes easy. Much of the rest is determined by how familiar one becomes with the use of the two touchpads.
All of this DOES take effort in studying the Owner's guide. Like anything else, practice, practice, practice.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:08 AM
Be the Best Be Great

Originally Posted by jackson5
I seriously think I am at the end of my rope with my RDX. I have been willing to put up with all the common problems buyers have reported such as the hesitation when putting it in reverse, the infotainment system randomly rebooting itself and the loud cracking noise coming from the sunroof when backing down my driveway. What happened last night was just too much. Driving home from Wisconsin, 45 miles into my trip and the left lane was ending so I accelerated to get around the slower car in front of me. As soon as I got around the car, I lost all power from the engine and could not accelerate. I quickly got on to the shoulder to not get rear ended. Engine light came on and it went down hill from there. Keep in mind I have a 2020 RDX with 4K on it. Called Acura roadside assistance and 5:15pm and by 2AM, my car still hadn't been picked up and was ready to be impounded by the State police. This was my first experience with them and all I can say is, what a joke. Won't go into all the details but I ended up getting a ride, 45 miles back to my car at 1am to limp it off the exit ramp to a McDonalds and was just going to leave it there for the night as I was completely exhausted by then. Sure enough, the car ran just fine, no light, no problem. At the same time, AAA found someone to tow me and was there at the same time. When this first happened, I did turn it off and restart but didn't make a difference. I ended up not taking the tow, drove it back to the house I was staying at and this morning made it back to IL. Zero issues accelerating. Since then I have read all the complaints about this issue and Acura is even aware of this but have done nothing. I had a complete lack of trust in my RDX driving home and that is not a good feeling. I am going to bring it to the dealer on Tuesday but expecting them not to find a single issue. At this point, this kind of problem makes me want to sell it. I know others on this forum experienced or are experiencing the problem. Did you keep your RDX, holding out for Acura to step up or trade it or what, just curious.

QUESTION: Did you have any of the following turned on:
LKAS - Lane Keeping Assist System
RDM - Road Departure Mitigation
CMBS - Collision Mitigation Braking System

It would behoove all of us to be very familiar with these systems and how they work.

Last edited by Acure4RDX; 05-29-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:26 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Originally Posted by Acure4RDX

It would behoove all of us to be very familiar with these systems and how they work.
Of course we all should, but the OP’s description is nothing like what normal function or even malfunction of one of those systems would look like.

There are other complaints of these systems malfunctioning in other threads but those involve warnings on the display like “BRAKE” and system application of brakes or steering controls, not engine shutdown or limp mode with a check engine light.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:08 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Acure4RDX

These are all questions the dealer askdd me when I had the issue.
I had RDM and CMBS active when it happened to me. However, I had my turn signal on, which should override RDM and was no where near the car in front of me so CMBS did not activate. Also no BRAKE message appeared on my dash.
I am familiar with RDM activating! I was on a 2 lane road with a double yellow line approaching a road crew on the side. I went over the double yellow line to give them more room and RDM activated my brakes. Now i use my turn signal for something like this, which is silly and can be confusing to someone behind me.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:09 AM
Be the Best Be Great

Originally Posted by Waetherman
Of course we all should, but the OP’s description is nothing like what normal function or even malfunction of one of those systems would look like.

There are other complaints of these systems malfunctioning in other threads but those involve warnings on the display like “BRAKE” and system application of brakes or steering controls, not engine shutdown or limp mode with a check engine light.
Good to know. I sure would like a response from the OP.

Last edited by Acure4RDX; 05-29-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:16 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

@jackson5 this may be relevant; apparently a recall notice has just been sent out for failing fuel pumps. Apparently only applies to 2019 though...

“Due to swelling of the fuel pump motor impeller, the fuel pump may seize and stop working. If this occurs, the engine may not start, or the engine could stall while driving, possibly increasing the risk of a crash.”

check this thread: https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-motor-987809/
Old 05-29-2020, 01:22 PM
Advanced

So still waiting for the dealer to get back to me, they did put a good number of miles on the car though and it was interesting, when I pulled up the app, mileage changed but fuel tank showed zero miles. Kinda odd. Anyway, they gave me some numbers on a trade. 2020 Tech. Sticker 44k, selling price 37k and some change, plus tax out the door 40,900 @ 0.9 assuming I didn’t put anything down which I would. Sound like a good deal? No negative equity from my trade either.
benjaminh (05-31-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 05:00 PM
Advanced

Sorry for all the updates but dealer just called. They spoke to Acura and they acknowledged that similar reports have been made by other dealers but they do not know the cause. Advisor did ask me what the weather conditions were at the time. He said they want to keep the car, soak it in water and so some testing in an effort to recreate the problem. They are trying and Acura’s acknowledgement is a good start
benjaminh (05-31-2020)
Old 05-29-2020, 05:27 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Sorry for all the updates but dealer just called. They spoke to Acura and they acknowledged that similar reports have been made by other dealers but they do not know the cause. Advisor did ask me what the weather conditions were at the time. He said they want to keep the car, soak it in water and so some testing in an effort to recreate the problem. They are trying and Acura’s acknowledgement is a good start
Interesting. Since Acura support is involved, this would seem to put separation between the fuel pump recall and this issue. Although, offically, the recall doesn't apply to MY2020. Their interest in water as a factor would also support some of the speculation around water ingestion. It's also disconcerting that after 2+ years they are still feeling around in the dark.

Last edited by DJA123; 05-29-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:31 PM
Advanced

I did ask about the fuel pump recall and they ran my vin even though it is a 20. He said the recall was limited I guess to certain 19’s
Old 05-29-2020, 06:24 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Soaking the car in water isn’t going to do much. If this is an intake issue, somehow sucking in water (or at least too little O2) when the turbo is under heavy load, they have to do that while it’s actually raining.

Ive personally driven throuu I go some pretty heavy rains and not had a problem but that means nothing. This might be something that happens to some but not all, or the conditions might have to be just right...
Old 05-29-2020, 06:53 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Soaking the car in water isn’t going to do much. If this is an intake issue, somehow sucking in water (or at least too little O2) when the turbo is under heavy load, they have to do that while it’s actually raining.

Ive personally driven throuu I go some pretty heavy rains and not had a problem but that means nothing. This might be something that happens to some but not all, or the conditions might have to be just right...
Yeah, I'd like to believe that if this had an easy resolution it be would already be resolved. But I also believe Honda has smart people on hand and surely they can simulate any condition that could cause this. I wish they'd take this off the background concern list.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:04 PM
Drifting

Received 1,024 Likes on 714 Posts

It might make an interesting tea, though.
Old 05-30-2020, 08:59 PM
Advanced

Well they didn’t find anything wrong with my RDX but ended up trading it anyway since I was thinking about it. Hope it doesn’t happen with the new one.
benjaminh (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 07:11 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Well, congrats on your new purchase! Tech? Same color/interior?
Old 05-31-2020, 07:28 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Did you bring up the fuel pump issue with the dealer?
Old 05-31-2020, 09:27 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Did you bring up the fuel pump issue with the dealer?
I did ask about the fuel pump recall and they ran my vin even though it is a 20. He said the recall was limited I guess to certain 19’s
Time will tell if there's a connection. Right now, it doesn't seem so.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:39 AM
Advanced

Well, congrats on your new purchase! Tech? Same color/interior?
thank you. Went with a silver tech with black interior. Car just came in and had 3 miles on it.
benjaminh (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 11:26 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 386 Likes on 268 Posts
My two cents on the limp mode issue:
- If the root cause is fuel pump, the issue should persist, meaning if the pump starts failing the issue should be re-produced easily.
- Obviously ECU senses something is wrong. But ECU should throw a code when it happens and keep a history of any event.
- To me the weirdest part is from most reports, no error codes are seen on OBD-II reader or HDS. Actually I do not recall reading anyone with OBD-II reader who scan for error code when the issue occurred.
- The issue seems to occur to only a very small group of people, but the issue does seem to come back on the same car sooner or later after the 1st incident. Make me wonder if it is fuel/driving-style related.

Last edited by sonyfever; 05-31-2020 at 11:29 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 12:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 699 Likes on 541 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyfever
My two cents on the limp mode issue:
- If the root cause is fuel pump, the issue should persist, meaning if the pump starts failing the issue should be re-produced easily.
- Obviously ECU senses something is wrong. But ECU should throw a code when it happens and keep a history of any event.
- To me the weirdest part is from most reports, no error codes are seen on OBD-II reader or HDS. Actually I do not recall reading anyone with OBD-II reader who scan for error code when the issue occurred.
- The issue seems to occur to only a very small group of people, but the issue does seem to come back on the same car sooner or later after the 1st incident. Make me wonder if it is fuel/driving-style related.
Interesting theory, but fuel pump recall is for 2019,
some VINs only. Some people reported limp mode on 2020
Old 05-31-2020, 01:43 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

From reading a few threads on the limp mode problem, it seems like it is precipitated by a sudden acceleration. Pairing this with the “massive hesitation” thread, I’m seeing a possible connection with the fuel pump. The recall specially says that the impeller is deformed which causes loss of power. But an impeller might be partially deformed and, when put under load, not deliver sufficient fuel. This would starve the engine, and maybe trigger limp mode. Then when the car is restated the fuel at idle and normal acceleration the fuel flow is sufficient and the car behaves normally. All speculation on my part, but it seems plausible to me.

As for the recall only being certain VINs in 2019, I’m skeptical. Acura may only be issuing a recall on specific cars because most of the complaints theyve gotten have been from that year/period. So maybe a bad batch that they’ve tracked down but I’m more inclined to think it’s something about the design or it’s application in the RDX and that the recall will (or should) expand to include other vehicles. Car companies always try to minimize recalls but almost inevitably they end up revealing themselves to be a much larger problem than the company wanted to admit in the first place.

If this had happened (or happens) to me I’d go to a third party mechanic and have them pull the fuel pump to see if it looked right. I wouldn’t trust a dealer or Acura to be honest about this. That’s not a dig on Honda - I wouldn’t trust any car company.

Last edited by Waetherman; 05-31-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 02:15 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

There's obviously some linkage between this discussion and the one specific to the fuel pump recall. The latest development over there is the discovery of a widespread defect in two million Denso fuel pumps that impacts a group of manufacturers, including Honda, and is likely the cause of our recall. My opinion is that the recall is a separate, standalone issue from our beloved limp mode issue. Of course, my opinion is worth no more than any other.

I'm further opining that all 3G RDX built until recently will likely be using that pump.

Last edited by DJA123; 05-31-2020 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 09:03 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by DJA123
There's obviously some linkage between this discussion and the one specific to the fuel pump recall. The latest development over there is the discovery of a widespread defect in two million Denso fuel pumps that impacts a group of manufacturers, including Honda, and is likely the cause of our recall. My opinion is that the recall is a separate, standalone issue from our beloved limp mode issue. Of course, my opinion is worth no more than any other.

I'm further opining that all 3G RDX built until recently will likely be using that pump.
So if I get a new fuel pump, will it net me another 50 hp and cure the dreaded acceleration lag?
Old 05-31-2020, 09:41 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

57 hp, actually. It’ll just cost you $3k...

https://www.hondata.com/news/Hondata...el%20injectors
Old 06-01-2020, 09:23 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Looking around this site, even casually, it's easy to find multiple discussions just like this one, dating back more than a year. It's like low hanging limp mode fruit.

When considering this car as a purchase candidate, I honestly didn't look too deeply for issues like this. I've been a Honda fan for many, many years and let down my guard a little because... Honda. Knowing now how -- I won't say common -- but let's say "unrare" this is, I'm wondering if I would have made the same choice if I'd done my typical due diligence. I don't know. But I now wish I had.

This car is expected to carry my wife and me reliability in our regional retirement travels. I'm lying if I say this won't be in back of mind when we start going places again. Seeing no visible action from Honda to something so "unrare" is damaging their place on my future consideration list more than anything. And, I don't believe the fuel pump recall is THE solution, unless we know that owners of Toyota, Mazda, Ford, Mitsubishi, etc. have all experienced this problem to the point of class action lawsuits. I've not seen headlines as I have for Acura. I could be wrong. Regardless, Honda/Acura is not the same safe bet that it once was for me. If they are pissing off (on?) someone like me, they should be worried.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...inking-981764/
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...9-spec-971802/
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...p-mode-981534/
Old 06-01-2020, 09:50 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

I also didn't do a lot of research on Acura before buying the RDX. I came from a Honda that gave me ten years of superb reliability, and though I knew that the RDX was not based on the CRV anymore, I figured it was in its second year by the time that I made my purchase and that all the problems would be sorted. If I had seen some of the quality surveys, it might have given me pause.

That said, I think the fact that this problem is now (finally) identified, and that it's a widespread problem with multiple car companies that used the same defective part, gives me some better confidence in Acura. At least they're not the ones who caused it. Why it's taken so long to diagnose and fix is another issue...
Old 06-01-2020, 10:07 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

That said, I think the fact that this problem is now (finally) identified, and that it's a widespread problem with multiple car companies that used the same defective part, gives me some better confidence in Acura. At least they're not the ones who caused it. Why it's taken so long to diagnose and fix is another issue...
I wish I shared your confidence that the fuel pump is the cause and solution to the limp mode issue. I hope you're right.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:53 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I honestly am not concerned in the least. By now, about 17 months and 18,000+ miles into my first Acura ownership experience, I have absolutely NO reservations about my purchase. If I suddenly needed to replace my 19 RDX, I would absolutely buy another equipped the same: Advance FWD. The only thing I would change? The outside color. I really wanted the red, but none were available anywhere near, even for a dealer trade.

Hopefully the OP, who I now understand has a replacement RDX, finds the same ownership experience that I have had.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
I would love to find that the fuel pump is causing limp mode....I just don't think that is the case. If it is then why are they not recalling all fuel pumps for even the 2020?
Limp mode is one of the reasons that moved away from Acura.
I would find it terrifying if my car went into limp mode with my daily commute on the highway of hell. Really nope that no one gets killed over this. Bad enough to lose confidence in car.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:21 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

This is why we all have our own money, opinions, and choices. Good stuff.

As always, I'm happy to be proven wrong and wish a good experience to all, regardless.
Old 02-21-2021, 04:44 PM
Advanced

Well hate to say it but the second RDX is gone. All was well with the replacement until I hit 8k miles. One by one the previous problems started to reappear. Didn’t break down this time but lost acceleration on the highway. Once again took it back to the dealer. Had the car for a week before telling me that they were gonna replace the intercooler because that caused my previous breakdown and lack of acceleration. I had my doubts but they fixed it. When I picked it up, the service advisor was trying to convince me the intercooler would solve the problem. He even said they were gonna try the fix on other cars they had in service. Spoke to my sales guy who has been there awhile and same thing happened to his family member. Car went into limp mode and was almost rear ended. He dumped the car and suggested I do the same for the second time. He was very familiar with the issue and said Acura didn’t have a clue as to what was going on. Anyway, drove home and thought about options. I thought maybe I would just see how things went but checked out some options. When leaving the first dealer, started the car and the entire computer system wouldn’t do anything. Restarted the car 5 times before I was able to leave. Right then and there I decided it had to go. It really is a shame because it was a fun car to drive and had a great sound system.
Jim7707 (02-21-2021)
Old 02-21-2021, 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 323 Likes on 191 Posts
Well hate to say it but the second RDX is gone. All was well with the replacement until I hit 8k miles. One by one the previous problems started to reappear. Didn’t break down this time but lost acceleration on the highway. Once again took it back to the dealer. Had the car for a week before telling me that they were gonna replace the intercooler because that caused my previous breakdown and lack of acceleration. I had my doubts but they fixed it. When I picked it up, the service advisor was trying to convince me the intercooler would solve the problem. He even said they were gonna try the fix on other cars they had in service. Spoke to my sales guy who has been there awhile and same thing happened to his family member. Car went into limp mode and was almost rear ended. He dumped the car and suggested I do the same for the second time. He was very familiar with the issue and said Acura didn’t have a clue as to what was going on. Anyway, drove home and thought about options. I thought maybe I would just see how things went but checked out some options. When leaving the first dealer, started the car and the entire computer system wouldn’t do anything. Restarted the car 5 times before I was able to leave. Right then and there I decided it had to go. It really is a shame because it was a fun car to drive and had a great sound system.
sorry to hear but the intercooler is the official fix for the problem you are having, they released a TSB about it a month or so ago, you should be problem free after getting that fixed

Quick Reply: At the end of my rope with my RDX