Do not buy iJDMTOY bulbs for your RDX

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 09:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 192 Posts
Do not buy iJDMTOY bulbs for your RDX

I bought these great looking LED bulbs from iJDMTOYS.com that looked great in my RDX rear turn signals. Had no problems with them for 6 months. Well then the trouble started.

Day 1 it started hyper flashing on and off all day, sometimes working fine, sometimes flashing fast. Something was obviously wrong.

Day 2 now it only hyperflashes, does not blink normal no matter what.

Day 3, now it barely lights up at all, most of the LEDs on it barely light up and some are not working at all.

So I email customer service, little do I find out they have a 90 day warranty, oh how great. They offer me 10% off, but said they would not do anything, I basically stuck with a bad bulb.

I would recommend not buying these, they do not stand behind their product, and their is obviously some quality lacking to fail that soon. I personally just think it is ridiculous they would even think I would buy another set after getting shafted with a crap bulb, knowing that on day 91 they will deny me any claim, but happily sell me another one. Having only a 90 day warranty really shows you how little they believe in their product, especially for it being an LED bulb.
The following users liked this post:
bluntman72 (01-28-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 10:36 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Have you considered putting the original incandescent bulbs back in?

Just a random thought...
The following 2 users liked this post by Wander:
samiam_68 (02-03-2020), SpaceBot (01-28-2020)
Old 01-28-2020, 01:25 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 324 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Have you considered putting the original incandescent bulbs back in?

Just a random thought...
I am going to have to, just gotta find them
Old 01-28-2020, 02:59 AM
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak
I bought these great looking LED bulbs from iJDMTOYS.com that looked great in my RDX rear turn signals. Had no problems with them for 6 months. Well then the trouble started.

Day 1 it started hyper flashing on and off all day, sometimes working fine, sometimes flashing fast. Something was obviously wrong.

Day 3, now it barely lights up at all, most of the LEDs on it barely light up and some are not working at all.

So I email customer service, little do I find out they have a 90 day warranty, oh how great. They offer me 10% off, but said they would not do anything, I basically stuck with a bad bulb.

I would recommend not buying these, they do not stand behind their product, and their is obviously some quality lacking to fail that soon. I personally just think it is ridiculous they would even think I would buy another set after getting shafted with a crap bulb, knowing that on day 91 they will deny me any claim, but happily sell me another one. Having only a 90 day warranty really shows you how little they believe in their product, especially for it being an LED bulb.
Sorry to hear about your problem with these LED turn signal lights. I bought/installed the same LED turn signal bulbs through Amazon back in 03/04/2019. They are still working fine.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:46 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Mine are not broke. So, until then, I won't fix them.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:17 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by Dereileak

While I agree that the bulbs should last years, it is a bit of a stretch to say that they do not stand behind their product.

I'm sure that the website discusses the 90 day warranty and they probably would have replaced the bulbs had they failed during those first 90 days. You didn't do your due diligence and they actually went above and beyond their warranty by offering you 10%

That said, perhaps there is a reason why Acura didn't use LEDs in that location.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:57 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by ceb
That said, perhaps there is a reason why Acura didn't use LEDs in that location.
Bingo
SpaceBot (01-28-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 12:17 AM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
After watching fast and the furious. I learned the hard way not to mess around with aftermarket bulbs and accessories.
Old 01-29-2020, 06:24 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Give the guy a break. First, it’s a lightbulb. It’s not he’s going crazy with the NOS or whatever. Any light bulb should work, and if the maker of the LED bulb says it works in cars, it should work like any other bulb. 90 days is a short warranty. Yes, caveat emptor and all that, but that’s the point of this post - to warn others about potentially problematic products.

I don’t know why Acura decided not to go with LED rear lights, especially given how much they talk about the headlights. Seems like just another way they cut corners to bring costs down. Or maybe there’s a legit reason for it - who knows.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:13 AM
Be the Best Be Great

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
Chinese-made?
Old 01-29-2020, 09:01 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Acure4RDX
Chinese-made?With zero quality control.
Fixed your post for you.

Much of the OE stuff is made in China (in Wuhan actually), but is quality controlled by the OE and is made to OE specs. The problem with these products is there is little or no engineering going into the design ("this LED ought to work just fine. Let's put a couple of these together with a bit of epoxy and sell it as a tail light bulb") and zero effort going into quality control ("the buyers can QC this for us. It is cheaper to send out replacements than to actually test this crap") and they're banking on most failures just getting tossed into the trash.
Old 01-29-2020, 11:52 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by Waetherman
Give the guy a break. First, it’s a lightbulb. It’s not he’s going crazy with the NOS or whatever. Any light bulb should work, and if the maker of the LED bulb says it works in cars, it should work like any other bulb.
Nope. The relay that drives the turn signals is designed for a specified resistance across the incandescent filament. This is the source of the problems with "hyper flash".

This mod has zero benefit, even when they mostly work. Incandescent bulbs last many years in this application and the total energy use is minimal.

Acura's choice to use incandescent at this site is probably driven by style; they wanted clear lenses to offset the red lenses in their "dragon tail" motif.

Putting high-power LEDs in this location is probably illegal and may compromise safety by blinding following drivers. ( Although I am an avid bicyclist, I view this as a problem with some bike taillights as well; running them blinking at full blast at night in a clear unlit environment is at best irritating to following riders or drivers, and at worst compromises safety by blinding them. Full power should be reserved for daylight or fog. ) Properly designed car LED turn signals are arrays of low-power LEDs, not singular LED torch lamps. ( Gotta admit, those arrays that light progressively are kinda cool ).

This is the problem with fads; rationality goes out the window.
NooYawkuh (01-30-2020)
Old 01-29-2020, 11:57 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
You make excellent points.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:27 AM
Skeptic

Originally Posted by Wander
Nope. The relay that drives the turn signals is designed for a specified resistance across the incandescent filament. This is the source of the problems with "hyper flash".
Yeah, I don't know if they still do it but, used to be, when a blinker bulb would burn out, the impedance through the the flasher would change the time-constant. The blinker would start blinking at a much higher rate to indicate to the driver you have a signal bulb burned out. I haven't had one burn out in about 30 years, so I don't know if it's still done that way but why wouldn't they? Simple and reliable.

Who knows what the resistance is through some random Chinese made LED bulb? Depending on voltage, it probably looks like a virtual open or a virtual short, causing either a very high blink rate or for it not to blink at all.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:38 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Funny non-car related light bulb story from today.

The light fixture in our bathroom uses 6 bulbs. with a G24 base. That base has two pins that twist into place - a real PITA to change because you can't see what you are doing and have to line the pins up by feel.

It originally had CFL bulbs and a couple of years ago I bought LEDs from Amazon - some "Amazon Favorite" brand with a 5 year warranty. About a year ago one bulb quits. I write the company and they send me a replacement. A couple of weeks ago another one goes out and they send me two replacements. They arrive today.

The first replacement is missing a pin and the second is DOA.

Zero quality control.
Acure4RDX (01-31-2020)
Old 01-31-2020, 06:45 AM
Be the Best Be Great

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Funny non-car related light bulb story from today.

The light fixture in our bathroom uses 6 bulbs. with a G24 base. That base has two pins that twist into place - a real PITA to change because you can't see what you are doing and have to line the pins up by feel.

It originally had CFL bulbs and a couple of years ago I bought LEDs from Amazon - some "Amazon Favorite" brand with a 5 year warranty. About a year ago one bulb quits. I write the company and they send me a replacement. A couple of weeks ago another one goes out and they send me two replacements. They arrive today.

The first replacement is missing a pin and the second is DOA.

Zero quality control.
Dats Fur sure:
https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...roblem/558482/

Last edited by Acure4RDX; 01-31-2020 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-31-2020, 11:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,711 Likes on 6,718 Posts
another MIC special for ya.. stupid shitty products. It's a race to the bottom because the general public is more interested in getting things for the cheapest price possible, quality be damned
Old 02-03-2020, 11:04 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by thoiboi
another MIC special for ya.. stupid shitty products. It's a race to the bottom because the general public is more interested in getting things for the cheapest price possible, quality and privacy be damned
Fixed it for you.

It is amazing that people are so willing to sell all of their personal information just to get a little discount on a cell phone or computer.