Detailing the RDX - any tips or recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2021, 06:05 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Detailing the RDX - any tips or recommendations?

My 2020 RDX Advanced is in need of a detailing - I've done my two 4Runners in the past, but it has been some time since since then, but I am familiar with the steps. I've watched hundreds of youtube videos too, to refresh myself on the process.

I ordered a Griot's G8 DA and a bottle of the Perfecting Cream - I got the smaller 2-3 inch size because of some of the smaller more rounded and intricate sections of the RDX, but I do have some questions before giving this a go:

- Acura has soft paint. I tested some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound Polish on a small scratched up section of the roof and just rubbed it with my hand and a microfiber towel and I was able to make many of the scratches go away. Makes me think that with a DA, it will be quick work. What kind of pads would be recommended for this? I don't think I need anything very aggressive. I also will probably use the Ultimate Compound Polish and then finish with the Griot's Perfecting Cream I bought. I'm going to need two different sets of pads.

Any tips on how to deal with the many peaks and valleys on the outside of the RDX? For example, the hood has those two bowed ( ) lines...how do I deal with those when using the DA? I am afraid of burning paint. Also, the front left and right fender area...it has about a two inch bowed valley that leads to the tip/edge of the headlights. I'm not sure how to handles that. If I recall correctly, don't run parallel across a U shaped or bowed up/down area. Go up and down, perpendicular. If I am going to run over a line with my DA, or going to run across the painted area above the side car doors - just be quick about it and don't linger to avoid burning the paint. Right?

Any help before I take the plunge would be appreciated!

Last edited by SpaceBot; 01-17-2021 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 06:57 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
I haven't started correcting my paint yet since I ceramic coated my paint within a few months of ownership but its nearing the 2 years where the coating should be failing (CQuartz UK), the water beading is starting to fade and is sheeting a bit more and there are areas that will need to be wet sanded and corrected from daily driving and public parking. If I were you, I'd start with the least aggressive polish you have and start from there. The megs Ultimate compound polish I believe uses a diminishing abrasive which starts coarse and gets finer as you work it, that might be too harsh to start with. If you have a non diminishing light polish (Megs m201) I'd start with that and a foam polish pad with the DA and work on a section that's not too obvious if you work it too much. Using the 3 inch DA is a good idea for the sharp lines that the RDX has especially the section that's between the 2 body lines that runs down the side of the car but you'll prob want a 6 inch as well for the larger areas like the middle portion of the hood and bottom of the doors to save time. Worse comes to worse if the paint is still too soft for a strictly polish, then go with just water and a foam pad (trick I saw from Larry at AmmoNYC) but I doubt the paint is THAT soft.

Lemme know how it goes.

As for how you'd specifically polish the ridges, watch this video if you haven't before, the go real deep and technical in how to tackle ridges.

The entire video is a good watch too if you have the time.

Last edited by AZ4035; 01-17-2021 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 07:39 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBot
I ordered a Griot's G8 DA and a bottle of the Perfecting Cream
I'd be curious to know how the G8 worked out for you; I've been thinking about this or the G9 but would love to hear the update and some photos! I had an old orbital polisher when I detailed my S2K but have heard some good things about Griot's...

Old 01-17-2021, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts
The honeycomb plastic on the front and on the rear bumper drive me nuts...super hard to clean due to so many angles
The diamond grille isn't easy either

Old 01-17-2021, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
What is a DA? Sorry...

I've never used a power anything on any car's paint.
Old 01-17-2021, 08:37 PM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
It's a dual action random orbital polisher - or DA for short.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (01-18-2021)
Old 01-17-2021, 09:10 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
I thought a DA was a haircut from the 50s.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:55 PM
Be the Best Be Great

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I thought a DA was a haircut from the 50s.
Why is that??
Old 01-24-2021, 07:32 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
The “duck ass”. Think Elvis and James Dean. The guys in ‘Grease’

Google it, and images.
Old 01-25-2021, 03:14 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by rdx4me?
The honeycomb plastic on the front and on the rear bumper drive me nuts...super hard to clean due to so many angles
The diamond grille isn't easy either
I use a very soft wheel brush for these areas. Similar to as shown in link, with flagged bristles. Doesn't scratch the plastic but gets in all the crevices.
Amazon.com: Chemical Guys ACC_G08 Wheel & Tire Brush, Short Handle: Automotive Amazon.com: Chemical Guys ACC_G08 Wheel & Tire Brush, Short Handle: Automotive
The following users liked this post:
Vince D (01-29-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 06:05 PM
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
The “duck ass”. Think Elvis and James Dean. The guys in ‘Grease’

Google it, and images.
I don't like ex-Presidients that have "duck ass" hairstyles.

Old 01-29-2021, 03:24 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBot
My 2020 RDX Advanced is in need of a detailing - I've done my two 4Runners in the past, but it has been some time since since then, but I am familiar with the steps. I've watched hundreds of youtube videos too, to refresh myself on the process.

I ordered a Griot's G8 DA and a bottle of the Perfecting Cream - I got the smaller 2-3 inch size because of some of the smaller more rounded and intricate sections of the RDX, but I do have some questions before giving this a go:

- Acura has soft paint. I tested some Meguiar's Ultimate Compound Polish on a small scratched up section of the roof and just rubbed it with my hand and a microfiber towel and I was able to make many of the scratches go away. Makes me think that with a DA, it will be quick work. What kind of pads would be recommended for this? I don't think I need anything very aggressive. I also will probably use the Ultimate Compound Polish and then finish with the Griot's Perfecting Cream I bought. I'm going to need two different sets of pads.

Any tips on how to deal with the many peaks and valleys on the outside of the RDX? For example, the hood has those two bowed ( ) lines...how do I deal with those when using the DA? I am afraid of burning paint. Also, the front left and right fender area...it has about a two inch bowed valley that leads to the tip/edge of the headlights. I'm not sure how to handles that. If I recall correctly, don't run parallel across a U shaped or bowed up/down area. Go up and down, perpendicular. If I am going to run over a line with my DA, or going to run across the painted area above the side car doors - just be quick about it and don't linger to avoid burning the paint. Right?

Any help before I take the plunge would be appreciated!
In terms of technique for peaks and valleys, just go slow and not much pressure and allow the backing plate to flex a bit as your are contouring around them. Don't worry about burning the point with the DA too much - as long as you are not being silly with it, you will be fine I just did my wife's hood to get rid off of a bunch of water spots - Black CCS pad with Menzerna 3800 polish, which took care of all the water spots and several minor scratches and left the finish ready for a sealant. I used CarPro Reload that i had laying around for now.
I'll be doing the full car sometime in the Spring, but more than likely will get a different type of polish like a Sonax perfect finish 4/6 and use the black pad with that... I think based on how soft the clear is, this combo should provide pretty great results. We have the Performance Red Aspec and imperfections are easy to see. Can't wait to correct it and coat with CQuartz UK 3.0. I've been pretty happy with that on my black A4 over the past 2 years.