Detailing Advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2021 | 07:50 PM
Pro

Detailing Advice

Hi all,

I have a 2021 Aspec Apex Blue RDX. I want to use an AIO to shine it up and remove some of the fine swirl marks. I don't have a DA, so I will be attempting this by hand. Can anyone recommend the most user friendly AIO they've used with some success? I know this won't be as good as a 3 step polish, but it will be better than nothing. Any thoughts, advice, help would be greatly appreciated!

Last, I have a bottle of Meguiars D166. Should I give it a whirl with a yellow Megs foam pad?

Thanks all!
Old 05-09-2021 | 04:12 AM
Racer

I love his products, but even if you do not, he has a lot of great videos on pretty much everything with car care: https://www.ammonyc.com/pdfs/
Old 05-09-2021 | 02:10 PM
Instructor

I like the chemical guys stuff. Their “V” line of product makes the swirls disappear.
Old 05-09-2021 | 02:23 PM

the issue is; your hand/arm will never generate enough power to cut through fine swirls.
the other issue is that an AIO (All in one) will not get the fine swirls out either.
an AIO will clean the paint and make it shiny!

so I would say, if you're fine with using an AIO to make the car look shiny, go for it!!!
just check the expectations at the door, it wont take out the fine swirl marks.

I've also heard of filler waxes and sealants where it will fill in the tiny crevice of a scratch, however the issues with these are the filler has the ability to wash out of the crevice over time.

in conclusion, if you dont have the time or the funds to do a full proper detail (paint correction, paint sealant or ceramic )
then I would just go with an All-in-one
Old 05-09-2021 | 02:26 PM

yes, you can try your hand at the meguires and yellow pad combo and see if you are able to take the fine swirls out!
Old 05-09-2021 | 03:10 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Since you already have fine swirly marks, the deed is already done, but if you're looking for an easy-to-do detailing tip, a clay bar can be your best friend. As long as you have those fine microscopic-like pieces of road / dirt grit stuck on your paint, you're simply waxing them in further. Use the back of your hand to wipe across your hood. If you feel that grit, that is one of the causes of swirlies and halos.

I own a black 2004 TSX and a black 2020 Advance. As a black car owner, it's embedded in our DNA to start at the ground floor with those microscopic pieces of grit, eliminate them with a clay bar routine and start the wash and wax process. Done correctly, using a clay bar will definitely assist with avoiding the dreaded swirl marks. Invest some time on a lazy Sunday afternoon and have some fun with it.

I finally started feeling those pieces of grit after three or four months from my purchase. No problem. Got the clay bar out of storage, applied over the car, washed my car using the two-bucket process and I'm good as gold.
Old 05-09-2021 | 08:19 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Vince D
Since you already have fine swirly marks, the deed is already done, but if you're looking for an easy-to-do detailing tip, a clay bar can be your best friend. As long as you have those fine microscopic-like pieces of road / dirt grit stuck on your paint, you're simply waxing them in further. Use the back of your hand to wipe across your hood. If you feel that grit, that is one of the causes of swirlies and halos.

I own a black 2004 TSX and a black 2020 Advance. As a black car owner, it's embedded in our DNA to start at the ground floor with those microscopic pieces of grit, eliminate them with a clay bar routine and start the wash and wax process. Done correctly, using a clay bar will definitely assist with avoiding the dreaded swirl marks. Invest some time on a lazy Sunday afternoon and have some fun with it.

I finally started feeling those pieces of grit after three or four months from my purchase. No problem. Got the clay bar out of storage, applied over the car, washed my car using the two-bucket process and I'm good as gold.
Agree on the clay bar! When I first purchased my RDX, I was shocked at how rough the surface felt. Much more so than my F150 or my wife’s Accord.
Old 05-24-2021 | 03:47 PM
Intermediate

Prior to the clay bar, it might be worthwhile to apply iron remover. This will dislodge any metallic particles that are stuck in the paint to the point that they can glide (or even rinse) off without having to rely on abrasion from the clay. This will in turn make the clay process much easier and reduce the chance of hazing/marring from the clay process, since it will reduce the number of passes needed.