Dealers want the CDX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 02:20 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Dealers want the CDX?

Sounds like the dealers are itching for the CDX to come to the USA? Wonder if Acura will listen?
https://www.motor1.com/news/398843/a...t-new-suv/amp/
Old 02-15-2020, 05:00 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
sure, if they spent the coin to retool their ohio factories....
otherwise; CDX production stays in China and will be sold in China
Old 02-15-2020, 08:05 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,607 Likes on 967 Posts
Not only dealers, many of us here are crying for years now to bring CDX to North America.

i guess Acura knows better lol!

As I always say, we need CDX and ZDX. That’s how acura can hit sales number of 200K +.
Old 02-15-2020, 08:07 AM
AZ Community Team

Infiniti QX50 failed miserably to bring buyers to the showroom. But Infiniti isn’t shy to bring QX55 sometime this year. Since the cost of R&D and production is very min to Infiniti. THey know by introducing the QX55, they can sell another 15,000 units which isn’t bad. It boosts sales.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:07 PM
Racer

Seems odd Acura isn't clamoring to add another SUV that they already have being sold overseas considering that's what Americans are shifting towards.

I bet it can be argued that bringing the CDX would actually be more important (result in more sales and profit) than developing type-s sedans.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
I have no interest in those. I like the size of the RDX. Not too big for me, but can yet get 5 adults around very comfortably when needed. I would rather see them work the bugs out in their infotainment system and also improve the build quality a little especially in the areas of rattles and noise.

Model proliferation is reaching levels of insanity. 25 years ago BMW only had 3, 5, 7 series cars. Now they have 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and x1, x2, x3, x4, x5, x6, x7, and then there's z and i.

It just leads to more confusion when buying and a higher chance of not being able to find the desired configuration on the dealer lot.

Consumer satisfaction will be higher with less choice.

Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Infiniti QX50 failed miserably to bring buyers to the showroom. But Infiniti isn’t shy to bring QX55 sometime this year. Since the cost of R&D and production is very min to Infiniti. THey know by introducing the QX55, they can sell another 15,000 units which isn’t bad. It boosts sales.
Pretty sure Honda doesn't need help with business strategy from Nissan/Infiniti.

Last edited by anoop; 02-15-2020 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:57 AM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
What the hell is the point with an SUV smaller than the RDX. Might as well buy a civic. Acura focus on your 4 core cars you have remaining before you go irrelevant.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:35 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludepower
What the hell is the point with an SUV smaller than the RDX. Might as well buy a civic. Acura focus on your 4 core cars you have remaining before you go irrelevant.
Why not ask X1, X2, Q3, GLA, XC40, E-Pace, Evoque, and UX owners? Some people want the ground clearance and AWD without the size and heft of a compact crossover, especially if they live in a city or are empty nesters with no need for a roomy backseat. Clearly there’s a market for these cars in the luxury segment if every other major competitor has an offering.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:44 AM
Safety Car

I should also note, there’s no way Acura can sell this successfully without investing some more resources into making it more refined. One of my relatives owns a CDX, and when I rode in it it last year it really did not feel like an Acura or a luxury car. Lots of NVH and it has the cheap hollow tinny feel like the HRV it’s based on. It felt a lot like the old ILX when it comes to refinement, which is not a good thing. In its current state it’ll sell like hot garbage when potential buyers compare it to the competition or to the RDX.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:31 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I should also note, there’s no way Acura can sell this successfully without investing some more resources into making it more refined. One of my relatives owns a CDX, and when I rode in it it last year it really did not feel like an Acura or a luxury car. Lots of NVH and it has the cheap hollow tinny feel like the HRV it’s based on. It felt a lot like the old ILX when it comes to refinement, which is not a good thing. In its current state it’ll sell like hot garbage when potential buyers compare it to the competition or to the RDX.

Interesting!
where did you drive it? In China or it was imported to the Us?
Old 02-16-2020, 11:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
The RDX is a relatively big SUV - 187 inches is no longer compact and there's lots of demand for tall hatches (which is what compact SUVs really are). The hatches that you get with the Civic, 3, Forte etc don't have the same degree of practicality that a X1 or Q3 has (and there aren't any luxury hatches anyways). If Acura offered a compact SUV in Canada to compete with the X1 and Q3 it would likely be their best seller.

My wife and I almost didn't get a RDX because she wasn't comfortable driving such a large vehicle, the CR-V was her first choice (180 inches) because of it's smaller size and folks like my parents (and my in-laws) both feel the same way, the RDX is just too big for them.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by supafamous
The RDX is a relatively big SUV - 187 inches is no longer compact and there's lots of demand for tall hatches (which is what compact SUVs really are). The hatches that you get with the Civic, 3, Forte etc don't have the same degree of practicality that a X1 or Q3 has (and there aren't any luxury hatches anyways). If Acura offered a compact SUV in Canada to compete with the X1 and Q3 it would likely be their best seller.

My wife and I almost didn't get a RDX because she wasn't comfortable driving such a large vehicle, the CR-V was her first choice (180 inches) because of it's smaller size and folks like my parents (and my in-laws) both feel the same way, the RDX is just too big for them.
The problem with subcompact luxury CUVs is that they neither have real luxury (seats not comfortable, they are noisy) nor the space (not really useful as a people hauler). So people are paying a premium purely for the badge. I have not bothered to look it up, but are these models like the x1 and GLA selling well in the US? It would be a different story if the subcompact luxury CUVs were actually able to provide luxury in such a small car. The closest I can think of would be the Lexus UX, but it has really anesthetized performance, so along with size they have subtracted performance as well.

Last edited by anoop; 02-16-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:44 AM
Safety Car

Interesting!
where did you drive it? In China or it was imported to the Us?
China. I didn't drive it because China doesn't accept any international drivers licenses.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anoop
The problem with subcompact luxury CUVs is that they neither have real luxury (seats not comfortable, they are noisy) nor the space (not really useful as a people hauler). So people are paying a premium purely for the badge. I have not bothered to look it up, but are these models like the x1 and GLA selling well in the US? It would be a different story if the subcompact luxury CUVs were actually able to provide luxury in such a small car. The closest I can think of would be the Lexus UX, but it has really anesthetized performance, so along with size they have subtracted performance as well.
While there are trashy subcompacts (Hello Lexus UX!) the Q3, X1, XC40, GLB are all terrific cars that are not just badges. They may not be on the premium platforms that their bigger brothers are on but they are built on solid bones unlike the UX (which is total trash - I'm going to keep saying that till Lexus admits it's selling junk).

Sales figure for Q4 2019 in the US (from: https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-u...es-by-model/):

Q3: 8,700 (Audi's 3rd best seller)
Q5: 18,000

X1/X2: 8,100 (BMW's 5th best seller)
X3: 20,000

XC40: 4,400 (Volvo's 4th best seller)
XC60: 8,400

XT4: 8,900 (3rd best seller)
XT5: 11,100

Only the 3 series and the S60 outsells their subcompact/compact SUV brother so yes, these are likely very profitable segments for these automakers. If these numbers hold, Acura could move 40-50K units a year and it'd be their 3rd best seller after the RDX and MDX. In other words it's big hole in their product lineup.
The following users liked this post:
anoop (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 12:52 PM
Safety Car

While there are trashy subcompacts (Hello Lexus UX!) the Q3, X1, XC40, GLB are all terrific cars that are not just badges. They may not be on the premium platforms that their bigger brothers are on but they are built on solid bones unlike the UX (which is total trash - I'm going to keep saying that till Lexus admits it's selling junk).

Sales figure for Q4 2019 in the US (from: https://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2020-u...es-by-model/):

Q3: 8,700 (Audi's 3rd best seller)
Q5: 18,000

X1/X2: 8,100 (BMW's 5th best seller)

XC40: 4,400 (Volvo's 4th best seller)
XC60: 8,400

XT4: 8,900 (3rd best seller)
XT5: 11,100

If these numbers hold, Acura could move 40-50K units a year and it'd be their 3rd best seller after the RDX and MDX. In other words it's big hole in their product lineup.
I suspect the reason Acura is holding off on this is because there may not actually be enough incremental sales growth, since a sizable portion of their sales will probably be cannibalization from the RDX, CRV, and HRV models. All the other competitors in this space don't need to worry about that quite so much. I doubt BMW is concerned that the X1 will steal away sales from the Mini Countryman, and VW doesn't offer anything close to this segment in the US for the Q3 to steal from.

That and the CDX doesn't really follow through with the "performance" angle. It's got a torsion beam rear suspension for Pete's sake, and my understanding is that it has the regular front-biased AWD setup found in the HRV and not SH-AWD.

Last edited by fiatlux; 02-16-2020 at 12:57 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fiatlux
I suspect the reason Acura is holding off on this is because there may not actually be enough incremental sales growth, since a sizable portion of their sales will probably be cannibalization from the RDX, CRV, and HRV models. All the other competitors in this space don't need to worry about that quite so much. I doubt BMW is concerned that the X1 will steal away sales from the Mini Countryman, and VW doesn't offer anything close to this segment in the US for the Q3 to steal from.

That and the CDX doesn't really follow through with the "performance" angle. It's got a torsion beam rear suspension for Pete's sake, and my understanding is that it has the regular front-biased AWD setup found in the HRV and not SH-AWD.
Cannibalization is a definitely a concern but that hasn't stopped Mercedes and BMW from launching model after model - the GLB is just fractions smaller than the GLC and there's going to be a GLA right below it. The X2 came out despite the X1 and X3 (and X4) being around. The lack of a good entry level product (and subcompact SUVs are the entry point now, not the sedans/hatches) is really deadly over the long run - the lost brand loyalty is so hard to earn back.

I suspect it might actually be an engineering resources problem - Acura was busy with the NSX and RDX and now has the TLX and MDX about to go live. Once those are done they either work on the RLX/ILX (what pathetic cars!) or roll out a subcompact SUV - if I had to choose between redesigning the ILX or building a new subcompact, the choice is easy as the ILX only moved 15K units last year and a new subcompact SUV is 30K units minimum and probably more.

I agree that the Chinese CDX isn't good enough as the entry level product. I think Acura would need to take the CR-V chassis and shorten it a bit and put the Civic Si motor in there to give it a proper go. A 205hp, 3500lbs subcompact with the 8sped DCT from the ILX would sell like hotcakes to empty nesters and DINKs alike. If they want they put the RDX drivetrain in there as a Type S (I wouldn't, not worth the engineering costs).
Old 02-16-2020, 05:11 PM
AZ Community Team

Tbh bring ZDX.

it won’t sell 50k units but even 35-40K would make a difference but also Acura will be able to Competent with X6, Q8 and GLE coupe. If they succeed to get a decent size cargo space, it would be a success.

I remember people used to complain about zdx cargo space.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:04 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Tbh bring ZDX.

it won’t sell 50k units but even 35-40K would make a difference but also Acura will be able to Competent with X6, Q8 and GLE coupe. If they succeed to get a decent size cargo space, it would be a success.

I remember people used to complain about zdx cargo space.

ZDX sold a total of 7200 units in North America in the four years it was produced. I think you are being very optimistic with your numbers.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
ZDX sold a total of 7200 units in North America in the four years it was produced. I think you are being very optimistic with your numbers.
I think that's for a multitude of reasons, the ZDX was very expensive yet offered less utility than an MDX, it was also very ugly (to the mass public, I actually like them), and that body style of SUV wasn't really a big thing. Now all 3 big german brands offer a coupe UV version of various models.

That isn't to say it will be any different this time around though. I don't think Acura should even think about the ZDX right now. The CDX needs to come WAY before the ZDX ever does and they definitely need more SUV's. Something below the RDX and something above the MDX would sell well.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:40 PM
Burning Brakes

So BMW does break out their SUV coupe sales unlike Mercedes and they are (Q4 2019, rounded to the nearest hundred):

X4: 2,900

X5: 17,600
X6: 1,000

Audi Q7: 10,100
Audi Q8: 4,000

I'm gonna say that if Acura created a coupe version of the RDX that they'd probably move between 8-10,000 units a year. They'd probably charge an extra $5K for each one even though it's uglier and less practical but it wouldn't be hard to do the engineering work for this. From a profit standpoint it'd probably give a subcompact SUV a run for its money.

I'd say the order of operations for their product line is: New TLX, new subcompact SUV, new full size (one size bigger than MDX) SUV, new compact sedan, and kill the ILX. That's a 4 SUV, 2 sedan, 1 sports car lineup. For their volume that's probably all they can do.

A full size MDX+ shouldn't be hard as the Ridgeline and Odyssey share the same chassis as the MDX and both are significantly longer. Plug that new turbo V6 in there and boom, cash register rings like mad to the tune of 20K units/year.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:46 PM
Suzuka Master

So BMW does break out their SUV coupe sales unlike Mercedes and they are (Q4 2019, rounded to the nearest hundred):

X4: 2,900

X5: 17,600
X6: 1,000

Audi Q7: 10,100
Audi Q8: 4,000

I'm gonna say that if Acura created a coupe version of the RDX that they'd probably move between 8-10,000 units a year. They'd probably charge an extra $5K for each one even though it's uglier and less practical but it wouldn't be hard to do the engineering work for this. From a profit standpoint it'd probably give a subcompact SUV a run for its money.

I'd say the order of operations for their product line is: New TLX, new subcompact SUV, new full size (one size bigger than MDX) SUV, new compact sedan, and kill the ILX. That's a 4 SUV, 2 sedan, 1 sports car lineup. For their volume that's probably all they can do.

A full size MDX+ shouldn't be hard as the Ridgeline and Odyssey share the same chassis as the MDX and both are significantly longer. Plug that new turbo V6 in there and boom, cash register rings like mad to the tune of 20K units/year.
They absolutely need something bigger than the MDX and you're spot on, the odyssey chassis with MDX bits would sell very very well. It shouldn't cost them very much at all to build slightly longer panels and call it the MDX Max or + or L or whatever. Tie in the MDX name to make it instantly popular.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:29 AM
Racer

A SUV that looks good starting at $30k would sell like hot cakes, regardless of size. I think the ILX sales increase after they slapped a new grille on it shows that people will buy anything with a pretty face and cheap price. I think it's a huge missed opportunity by Acura.
Old 02-17-2020, 01:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by skarface
people will buy anything with a pretty face and cheap price
Too funny.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:26 PM
AZ Community Team

i think you're right I was too optimistic with that number but let's be honest. The ZDX came ahead of its time. If the ZDX with the right design and power comes today, I am sure it will sell more than 7,200.

The same goes with Turbo engine. First generation RDX was ahead of its time. Compact, fast, turbo engine and pretty good looking for that time. It was compared to X3. Most of the other brands did not have a compact suv. Let's give Acura some credit
Old 02-17-2020, 04:44 PM
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
CDX or ZDX !!!
Just a quick photoshop. could have made door longer..

CDX or ZDX concept "caught in the wild"
Old 02-17-2020, 05:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SH4RKT00TH
CDX or ZDX !!!
Just a quick photoshop. could have made door longer..

CDX or ZDX concept "caught in the wild"
Gotta lower that roofline at the back a good half foot to make the look work. I think these SUV coupes are hideous but to each their own eh?
Old 02-17-2020, 06:28 PM
Advanced

yep, i would also straighten the lower line of back window. it was a quick photoshop just to erase the back door. front door is to narrow also but i'm off to other things...
Old 02-18-2020, 08:11 AM
Pro

yep, i would also straighten the lower line of back window. it was a quick photoshop just to erase the back door. front door is to narrow also but i'm off to other things...
I haven’t seen any SUV coupes with two doors. They’re all four doors. Correct me if I’m wrong if there’s an actual two door SUV coupe out there. Your photoshop also makes the RDX look really off without the rear doors and like others suggested, need to lower the rear roofline.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Going to get a touch off topic....the crossover/SUV market is so hot right now that if Acura wanted to (and had the resources) they could easily have 5-6 SUVs to sell:

Subcompact: Dress up the next gen HR-V, put the 174hp version of the 1.5T in it. 170 in long.
Compact: Shrink the CR-V chassis slightly. Put the 205hp version of the 1.5T in it, 177-180 in long.
Mid-size: RDX, no change.
Mid-size+: MDX, about to come out. Assume 2.0T and 3.0T. 195in long
Full-size: MDX+, J35 and 3.0T. 205in long.

Mix in a coupe version of the RDX and boom, 6 SUV lineup.

I reckon that this is a 200-240K units/yr lineup. Get frisky and rebadge the Odyssey into an Acura minivan and you've got another 20-30k units (or do the right thing and put SH-AWD on an Acura version of the Odyssey). That kind of lineup produces a lot of profit to fund the fun stuff like a NSX Type R and a new compact sports sedan.
skarface (02-19-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 04:42 PM
Suzuka Master

I haven’t seen any SUV coupes with two doors. They’re all four doors. Correct me if I’m wrong if there’s an actual two door SUV coupe out there. Your photoshop also makes the RDX look really off without the rear doors and like others suggested, need to lower the rear roofline.
The Murano cross cabriolet and Range rover evoque coupe have 2 doors. But I don't think anyone in this thread meant 2 doors when we said coupe, we meant the cut off rear end 😂😂.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:37 PM
Advanced

2 Door SUVs

My 1995 GMC Jimmy/Chevy Blazer (S-10) was 2 doors.

from wikia for reference only

Anyway the thread was about CDX and others used the ZDX term so I just hacked a quick photoshop based on my 2 door GMC Jimmy.
Yes there are a lot of things to correct on my hack but man, can I get a break.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Range Rover even had a convertible.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...e-test-review/
Old 02-19-2020, 10:32 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
There's only one Rover convertible worth talking about:

Old 02-19-2020, 10:40 PM
Pro

My 1995 GMC Jimmy/Chevy Blazer (S-10) was 2 doors.

from wikia for reference only

Anyway the thread was about CDX and others used the ZDX term so I just hacked a quick photoshop based on my 2 door GMC Jimmy.
Yes there are a lot of things to correct on my hack but man, can I get a break.
The ZDX is also a four door SUV. They just hid the handle on the rear doors that’s all.

I was just generally curious that’s all.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:44 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
The ZDX is also a four door SUV. They just hid the handle on the rear doors that’s all.

I was just generally curious that’s all.
Nice and smooth, and it's shaped like a suppository.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:49 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
ZDX is an abomination and acura would be stupid to try that again. Only luxury german cars can pull it off cause douchebags buy them. Acura isnt douchebagey enough to pull it off.

Acura main priority is to fix their current lineup before they even think about expanding. A small cuv does make sense but ifs it's a Honda HRV with lipstick then they can shove it up their ass.

Last edited by Ludepower; 02-19-2020 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:06 AM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
My wife thinks our RDX is far too big for her to drive. She loves her Honda Fit and wishes Acura would make a version of it! She thought about an HRV but even it seemed too big. As for a CDX, just a fancy, and expensive, HR-V. My dealer (and what do they know anyway?) says Acura will not go with a smaller car or SUV but I read articles that say they will be out this year. Hey, you saw it on the internet...it must be true!
Sedan sales continue to slide, SUV sales keep going up or at least remaining relatively steady. Back in the 1950's and '60's Station Wagons were the hot vehicles.. then mini-vans...but now its SUV's. Tastes change. Yesterday's hot car is tomorrow's "Mom's kid hauler" or an "old man's car". Styles come and go. I am sure Acura looks at the numbers really hard to see if its worth it. It costs a lot of money to bring out a new model.

BTW: The new Honda Fit isn't coming to the US. Seems the Fit and the HR-V were built on the same assembly line and after the HR-V came out they just sold so many they wouldn't switch back to the lower profit Fit. Some Fits are imported from Japan but they don't sell like they did since the HR-V came out. We want a new Fit.....not a second SUV!
Old 02-20-2020, 01:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hans471
Sedan sales continue to slide, SUV sales keep going up or at least remaining relatively steady. Back in the 1950's and '60's Station Wagons were the hot vehicles.. then mini-vans...but now its SUV's. Tastes change. Yesterday's hot car is tomorrow's "Mom's kid hauler" or an "old man's car". Styles come and go.
SUVs are here to stay. They are just raised station wagons.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:20 AM
Suzuka Master

ZDX is an abomination and acura would be stupid to try that again. Only luxury german cars can pull it off cause douchebags buy them. Acura isnt douchebagey enough to pull it off.

Acura main priority is to fix their current lineup before they even think about expanding. A small cuv does make sense but ifs it's a Honda HRV with lipstick then they can shove it up their ass.
To you an HRV with lipstick would be garbage, unfortunately the mass buying public wouldn't be able to tell anything. They'd gobble them up in an instant. For a very long time the Audi Q3 was a Tiguan with lipstick and it sold like crazy. Yes I'm aware the current Q3 and Tiguan share a platform but the new Q3 is worlds apart from the Tiguan whereas the 1G Q3 really wasn't.

Why would Acura invest a ton of money to make a proper CDX when they can simply warm over a HRV and get the same result?
ZipSpeed (02-21-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by RDX10
To you an HRV with lipstick would be garbage, unfortunately the mass buying public wouldn't be able to tell anything. They'd gobble them up in an instant. For a very long time the Audi Q3 was a Tiguan with lipstick and it sold like crazy. Yes I'm aware the current Q3 and Tiguan share a platform but the new Q3 is worlds apart from the Tiguan whereas the 1G Q3 really wasn't.

Why would Acura invest a ton of money to make a proper CDX when they can simply warm over a HRV and get the same result?
Too true, look what they did to the ILX, and people are still buying what amounts to a gussied up previous-generation Civic. The average car buyer doesn't even know the difference between a V6 and I6, let alone what car is based on what.

Quick Reply: Dealers want the CDX?