Current RDX owners/lessees only -- what vehicle did your RDX replace?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 10:11 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Toyota Sienna XLE limited with all the trimmings,175,000 miles, still runs great. No kids in the house anymore. Wanted a smaller, sporty ride. The RDX fit the bill, love it.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:17 AM
5th Gear

2005 Toyota Sienna XLE limited with all the trimmings,175,000 miles, still runs great. No kids in the house anymore. Wanted a smaller, sporty ride. The RDX fit the bill, love it.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:59 AM
8th Gear

2013 BMW X3 with 65,000 miles. Not a car you want to own out of warranty. Was a 3 time previous Acura owner and was looking to get back to the family.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:54 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I came from a 2013 Subaru Outback. The CVT transmission was going bad, so I made the jump to a 2019 RDX Tech SH-AWD...I'm very happy with the purchase!
Old 01-02-2019, 03:13 PM
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
The RDX has a 10-speed auto, not a CVT. There have been some complaints that it can be jerky.

If you want 6 cylinders, you could get the X3 M40i or the Jaguar F-Pace S. Both are significantly more money than the top of the line RDX Advance ($10K+).
Thanks, my mistake. I'm slowly getting used to, and enjoying the car more every day. The 4/turbo really does come alive, but just a little bit of turbo lag makes me pine for a true 6 cylinder, but once again I'm getting used to it and learning how to finagle it. Steering still feels a bit loose, even in sport+ mode, but I'm getting used to that as well. My lament on the lack of 6 cylinders was more meant towards pretty much every crossover maker these days, except the much more expensive models you quoted, not just Acura. I'm still not really happy about the comfort/ride though, I can feel every bump and hole in the road. If I hadn't test driven the x3 I would have chalked it up to just having a crossover.

As a related aside, does anyone use S drive mode AND sport + mode at the same time? Seems redundant, but having both on does seem to raise up the shift points significantly, maybe too much. Just curious why Acura kept both of these.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:14 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I just went from a 2011 Honda Pilot Touring to the RDX Advance.

I loved the Pilot seat comfort, storage space, tech (at the time pre-bluetooth audio), and 3 rows of seating.

I wanted something with more luxury and more fun to drive.

1000 miles in and I am very happy with the fit and feel when driving.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:14 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Coming out of a 2016 BMW 528i with Sport Package. Went thru four (4) TLs before that (2004-2012). Enjoying my 2019 Modern Metallic/Red A-Spec.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:34 AM
8th Gear

I turned in on 12/28/18 my 2016 RDX with Tech Package. Acura of Plano is my Acura dealer. Love the car even the touch pad.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ryanasimov
Replaced a 2015 Audi Q5 with a 2019 RDX Advance. The Audi was the best car I ever owned (out of 14 others); zero problems and fun to drive. But after a few German cars I wanted something really different with strong driving characteristics.
So, what do you think so far, I've been driving a Acura RDX for the last 7 years and now debating between the Q5 and the 2019 RDX. Like the Audi better, just not sure it is worth the premium, especially since you need to get the prestige to match the features of the advanced.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:30 PM
8th Gear

We like the RDX 2019 Tech very much. Very fast and has most of the bells & whistles. Wish it has heated seats and folding mirrors.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by jgcjr
We like the RDX 2019 Tech very much. Very fast and has most of the bells & whistles. Wish it has heated seats and folding mirrors.
Are you in the US? If so, Tech does have heated seats.

Last edited by anoop; 01-20-2019 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:23 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spinedoc777
Just picked up my 2019 RDX a couple days ago, today is the first day I drove it to work. Prior lease was a 2016 Genesis. So far I'd give the RDX a big fat meh, in the back of my mind I've considered returning it while within the 3 day cooldown period but I think I'll just make the best of it. Acura positions itself as a "luxury" brand, but I feel like I'm driving a Honda in many aspects. Part of this is getting used to being in a crossover vs a sedan, being higher up and feeling more disconnected from the road and having decreased handling. So that part isn't necessarily Acura's fault, although with that said I did test drive a X3 and that handled like it was on rails, much better but also more expensive. I've played around with Sport and Sport + and don't feel the steering response is changed much, it's fairly numb and not accurate, but once again it's a crossover. Suspension is pretty bad, I can feel every little bump and hole, this is NOT a luxury ride. Engine is just ok, first 4 cylinder I've owned in, well I think ever. Even with the turbo it just doesn't have the same feel as a 6 cylinder with the same hp/torque. Don't get me wrong it has enough power, but just something about that tinny 4 cylinder engine and the CVT trans makes it feel kind of jerky and not smooth, once again gotta compare it to the X3 which makes its 4 cylinder feel really smooth. But still none of the crossovers I sampled felt like having a real 6 cylinder and I really lament the fact that no one really puts a v6 in these crossovers to my knowledge. Interior is decent but nothing special, I'm still baffled as to why they wasted the entire center console on that monstrosity just to house the track pad, so much wasted storage space. Seats are fairly comfy but very narrow. Wheel doesn't tilt all the way down. No digital speed readout and the UI is a bit quirky, but I do like the infotainment system and really dig the trackpad, although the screen seems to be really low resolution.

So my expectations were to stay in a "luxury" vehicle. I'm used to Audi and MB, but last round went with the Genesis because I wanted to save some money. Didn't regret that lease at all, the Genesis was an incredible value for the price and Hyundai seems to understand what "luxury" means. I'm hoping they release their Genesis crossover next year and I may give the RDX lease to the wife. I'm not unhappy since I got a pretty good lease deal, but definitely will be looking for options.
Following our X3 test drive, we weren't impressed with it. Interior styling was typical BMW drab, we could feel too much road imperfection, 10% less HP than the RDX, leather not as nice, and a comparatively equipped vehicle to the RDX was about $8k more. For what, the BWM Logo? The RDX had sharper exterior looks to us, drove smoother, was more quiet at 70 mph, had much better interior styling and materials, had great engine/transmission communication for a Crossover, and was more powerful than the X3, and to top it off, was a better value.

Last edited by WhiteRDXAZ; 01-27-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-27-2019, 06:12 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
OH! Now that I am an RDX owner (5 days!), I am legal to post in this thread!

My RDX replaced an 18 CR-V Touring FWD, (owned 13 months 15,500 miles) which I thought was a very nice vehicle for the price. In fact, this was the first Honda that we owned that I actually liked/really liked. Which led me to choose the RDX. Like others, I investigated many of the competition, and road tested several as well, No comparison. PERIOD! (ahem, as long as the provide the promised Android Auto sometime soon!)
Old 01-29-2019, 04:09 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by WhiteRDXAZ
Following our X3 test drive, we weren't impressed with it. Interior styling was typical BMW drab, we could feel too much road imperfection, 10% less HP than the RDX, leather not as nice, and a comparatively equipped vehicle to the RDX was about $8k more. For what, the BWM Logo? The RDX had sharper exterior looks to us, drove smoother, was more quiet at 70 mph, had much better interior styling and materials, had great engine/transmission communication for a Crossover, and was more powerful than the X3, and to top it off, was a better value.
I was much more impressed with the X4, but of course that's more expensive. The X3 handled much better than the RDX though, well in some aspects. Being able to accelerate through a nice wide exit, the RDX does this much better most likely due to the SH-AWD, but that was more felt in the suspension than in the steering wheel. The X3 was just tighter, I didn't feel like I was drifting when driving and there was less under/over steer when on the highway, it just felt very precise. Interior styling, other than the ill fitting seats on the RDX it's probably personal preference so I won't argue with you there. Other than the seats I like the RDX interior, but the materials used are not luxury and the fit and finish isn't incredible, including the lack of sound dampening. It's a very nice interior for a well equipped Honda, and that's not a bad thing. The RDX has more power on paper, but it's not tuned very well in the low end, too much turbo lag where if you slow down and then accelerate you are left just sitting there for half a second. You're right there is a $8k difference so the RDX is a better value, no arguments there. But then a fully loaded Hyundai Santa Fe would be a better value for less money.

Last edited by spinedoc777; 01-29-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:27 PM
Drifting

I was much more impressed with the X4, but of course that's more expensive. The X3 handled much better than the RDX though, well in some aspects. Being able to accelerate through a nice wide exit, the RDX does this much better most likely due to the SH-AWD, but that was more felt in the suspension than in the steering wheel. The X3 was just tighter, I didn't feel like I was drifting when driving and there was less under/over steer when on the highway, it just felt very precise. Interior styling, other than the ill fitting seats on the RDX it's probably personal preference so I won't argue with you there. Other than the seats I like the RDX interior, but the materials used are not luxury and the fit and finish isn't incredible, including the lack of sound dampening. It's a very nice interior for a well equipped Honda, and that's not a bad thing. The RDX has more power on paper, but it's not tuned very well in the low end, too much turbo lag where if you slow down and then accelerate you are left just sitting there for half a second. You're right there is a $8k difference so the RDX is a better value, no arguments there. But then a fully loaded Hyundai Santa Fe would be a better value for less money.
Unless you consider the resale value of the Hyundai.
The following users liked this post:
securityguy (01-30-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 06:28 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Unless you consider the resale value of the Hyundai.
True, but for myself it doesn't matter as I'm leasing. But in exchange for a moderately lower resale value I would point out you get a longer warranty all around.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:51 AM
Drifting

True, but for myself it doesn't matter as I'm leasing. But in exchange for a moderately lower resale value I would point out you get a longer warranty all around.
Yes, leasing does change things, but then the longer warranty will not be a factor.

Just discussing. .

I test drove the new SF and was somewhat impressed, however, unless I move to a different city, I will not buy anther Hyundai. The only Hyundai dealer here has the absolute worst service dept I have ever dealt with in more than 30 years of new car buying.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:56 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Yes, leasing does change things, but then the longer warranty will not be a factor.

Just discussing. .

I test drove the new SF and was somewhat impressed, however, unless I move to a different city, I will not buy anther Hyundai. The only Hyundai dealer here has the absolute worst service dept I have ever dealt with in more than 30 years of new car buying.
No the longer lease won't be a factor for me, but it might be a factor for someone who purchased the vehicle and is worried about resale value. I haven't had too many issues with Hyundai's service dept. My issue is more with Genesis service dept, which doesn't provide any perks above Hyundai. I suppose I will see how Acura's service dept is, as I haven't serviced the vehicle yet. Hopefully they will provide a luxury experience.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:34 AM
Cruisin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Lexus CT 200h. Wanted a car that both the passenger and the driver could use the center armrest at the same time. The Lexus NX was ruled out because of the horrible implementation of the touchpad. I am very happy with my RDX.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BubblePuppy7

Sorry guys, I’ve been working 7-12’s for the past few weeks and all I’ve had time for is eat, sleep, and work. That’s over with, so I’ll give you the facts first.

Horsepower:​RDX – 272​ Cayenne S – 420

Torque:​RDX – 280​ Cayenne S – 406

0-60:​RDX – 5.7​ Cayenne S – 5.1

Top Speed:​RDX – 125​ Cayenne S – 161

Towing: ​RDX – 1500​ Cayenne S -7716

Engine:​RDX – Turbo I-4​ Cayenne S – Twin turbo V-6

The Cayenne is rock solid and handles like a sports car, even though it’s marketed as a SUV. It’s as capable an off-road vehicle as it is on-road, more so if the vehicle is equipped with the air suspension system (mine was). Top speed is 161 mph, although I was limited to 150 mph because I ran A/S tires.

So why did I get rid of this jewel of a machine? A number of reasons, actually. The Cayenne was a “rebound car” for me. I had just sold my Corvette (because gravity) and was still grieving. I finally pestered talked my wife into letting me trade her Lexus RX-350 for something that would satisfy her need for a SUV, and my need for a sports car. The Cayenne was that perfect blend of the two. And it was an awful lot of fun for the three years we had it.

The problem is Porsche’s marketing strategy. They were big on performance but not so much so on luxury items. I suppose that should have been apparent. They didn’t offer options packages as much as offering ala carte options. And those options were big-time money. My car had almost $20,000 in options but lacked “essential” luxury items like push button start and voice recognition. It’ almost like they didn’t want to sully the purity of the Porsche name.

And that’s what did it for me. I’ve probably grown up (I’m 68) and the boy racer is gone. I find that creature comforts have taken precedence over performance. That’s why I didn’t even consider the Macan as a replacement. I also wanted to “downsize” to a smaller vehicle. I did a lot of research and the results led me to my local Acura dealer. And the rest, they say, is history.

I really like the RDX. It drives nice, is roomy, and gets much better gas mileage than the Cayenne. The engineering and technology is exceptional, as I would expect from Acura. I don’t regret the switch at all.

Thank you for great summary and encouraging lead on the RDX vs Cayenne comparison!
Old 02-11-2019, 02:26 PM
6th Gear

I test drove the Mazda as well and I completely agree
Old 02-13-2019, 10:46 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 Infiniti Q50 premium, I’ll never go back to a sedan after this car
Old 04-02-2019, 07:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Reviving old thread to get some newcomers to respond.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:23 AM
8th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 mb gls450
Old 02-12-2020, 12:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Renewing this old thread since we have many new owners now.
The following users liked this post:
Midnight Mystery (02-12-2020)
Old 02-12-2020, 06:38 AM
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Came from 2011 1st-gen RDX without SH-AWD to 2019 A-Spec with SH-AWD. Always regretted not getting AWD. Gave the 2011 to my son after he got out of the Navy and it had 90,000 trouble-free miles on it. The 2019 feels like a grown-up version of the 2011...more refined with some of the rougher edges smoothed out. It can be sedate for my daily commute, but still get wild when I want it to.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2020 RDX SH-AWD Advance replaced a 2018 RDX AWD Advance. We like the new vehicle a lot- sporty, responsive, fun to drive, nicely styled, great audio system, etc.

The 2018 that the new one replaced was nice. It was spunky, comfortable, good audio system, and reliable- no issues, but we like the new one a lot more.

FWIW, the only reason we got the 2018 was our vehicle before that, a 2011 X3 with only 55,000 miles, needed expensive repair and maintenance work and it did not make sense to spend that kind of money on it. I wanted the 3rd gen 2019 RDX but we could not wait, needed a new vehicle at the time, so we traded in the X3 on the 2018 RDX.

Bruce
Old 02-12-2020, 10:29 AM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
2013 BMW X3 with 75,000 miles. I was worried about the timing chain tensioner plastic part breaking and ruining the engine. Two weeks after I traded the X3 in, it was sold. One month later the turbo blew. $3500 repair bill. Glad I traded it in.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I came from a mid-level 2018 Highlander XLE all wheel drive. Now into a 2020 RDX with tech package. Not sure I made a good decision. My nearest dealer is 2 hours away. And before I bought I read a ton of reviews and really didn't see much for troubles only complains on the infotainment, which I don't have a problem with. Now all the stuff I am reading in here has me a little nervous. The Winter roads up here in Wisconsin are in pretty rough shape and the difference in ride quality is pretty stunning...... But I do know that The RDX is a little quicker around town and more nimble. Now I'm starting to miss the room I had in the Highlander because I'm an avid golfer and I find out there is no way in heck you're going to get a full set of clubs behind that back seat. There will be no taking two couples golfing in this vehicle.
I bought the fathom blue color and really liked it And it's beautiful when shined up but the Chrome stands out so much It's almost gaudy. I'm starting to think this thing looks a little bit more like a chick's car than a guy's car.... Not that there's anything manly about a Highlander...lol.
I wanted something a little quicker, a little nimbler,and a little sporty-er, but I still kind of wanted a decent ride and when I took it for a test drive, they took me on pretty smooth roads. Bottom line is I did not think things out very well. I guess I'm hoping once warmer weather comes and the roads smooth out a little bit and this thing is a little more pliable after being broke in I will adapt. There are a lot of nice Vehicles out there for 40K.... And that's a pretty fair chunk of change to drop without being 100% happy right off the bat....hmmm!
Old 02-12-2020, 05:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 RDX Tech replaced a 2015 Subaru Outback. Warranty was up on the Subaru, and the 2020 version of the Outback is having some first-year problems. Plus I was looking for a bit more luxury and performance.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:29 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Came from a 2017 Lincoln MKC. I would have stayed Lincoln if pricing was better on the Corsair.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:08 PM
2nd Gear

I came from a 2016 BMW 340i. I've only had German cars (and one Swede) before this one so I wanted to try something different and I've always been a fan of Honda products.

So far, I'm missing the hell out of the power and handling of the BMW but I'm loving the practicality of the RDX.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:26 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
A turbo 6 is just going to be more powerful across the board compared to a turbo 4.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:39 AM
1st Gear

We had 2012 Mazda CX-9 grand touring AWD. The transfer case went at 128k so we sold it and bought a base RDX sh-awd.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:50 AM
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cjulian
I came from a 2016 BMW 340i. I've only had German cars (and one Swede) before this one so I wanted to try something different and I've always been a fan of Honda products.

So far, I'm missing the hell out of the power and handling of the BMW but I'm loving the practicality of the RDX.
I understand, we have one of each. My wife is the primary driver of our new RDX and I am the primary driver of our 2017 340i. As you say they are different vehicles, I like them both.

Bruce
Old 02-13-2020, 03:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Coming from infiniti q50s. The. Best. Switch. Ever.

My back doesn't hurt after a 30 min drive. Road noise isn't an issue anymore. Technology is a huge jump. Stepping into the RDX with all these standards features felt like stepping into a different world compared to my q50. Love this car.

I miss that horsepower and the brake feel. Wish Acura would've put bigger calipers on the RDX.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by phillyman1998
Coming from infiniti q50s. The. Best. Switch. Ever.

My back doesn't hurt after a 30 min drive. Road noise isn't an issue anymore. Technology is a huge jump. Stepping into the RDX with all these standards features felt like stepping into a different world compared to my q50. Love this car.

I miss that horsepower and the brake feel. Wish Acura would've put bigger calipers on the RDX.
What year is your RDX? If it's a 2019, depending on VIN, this may help brake feel:
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-022.PDF

Last edited by anoop; 02-13-2020 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:43 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I had a 2012 Tucson that I had bought used because my son really needed a car and I hated my 2008 Civic so I gave it to him. Incredibly reliable, but the paint sucked and the AC died. My son didn’t care!

Anyway, the Tucson was a great car, though bare bones and under powered. It was really a perfect sized CUV for commuting and held enough cargo for trips. the AWD was amazing in the snow.

We really needed a similar replacement, as my wife’s 2-door Accord isn’t great for taking trips or going somewhere with another couple. My pickup, while a great ride and very comfortable, is way too big to drive into a town with a parking garage or parallel parking.

Looked at a Macan and really liked it. It was very small, however, and maintenance costs are ridiculous.

So far, I like the RDX. Some things are annoying, like having to buy trim levels to get certain options and Acura charging $110 for their app, something my lower-trim pickup came free. But overall it’s a nice car and very comfortable.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:14 PM
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 MDX. Wanted something more sporty and a little smaller with AWD.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:56 AM
2nd Gear

2005 Honda Pilot >>>> 2019 RDX. I miss my pilot as we had a lot of good times and she served me well with only 50,000 miles on her. But it was time to part ways. I am happy with my RDX.

Quick Reply: Current RDX owners/lessees only -- what vehicle did your RDX replace?